• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Rising Thunder [PC]

so, I downloaded it, I raced to get it to lowest settings possible because the game was on a stutter and i didn't want my PC to melt, I did 1 match, and my max FPS was 6.

maybe my laptop will do better.

Can someone @ me when they finally fix that switchable graphics issue that makes me unable to get even to the Main Menu? Too lazy to follow the Patch Notes or start the game everytime there's an update

a la SFIV, no?
Don't the characters in SF4 at least freeze in place during the super flash?

This shit is dumb

This is too

I've been wondering... How do you think they'll monetize the game?

I mean, cosmeticals are a given but will they be rented or permanent? Will new fighters be free or behind a pay wall, and more importantly: will we be able to fight to our hearts content or forced to wait for stamina or some other bs?
They said in a PC Gamer interview that they would only be doing cosmetics, you won't have to pay for anything else.
http://www.pcgamer.com/rising-thunder-a-pc-only-fighting-game-from-experts-in-the-genre/

The super flash is insulting.

Fedora check if you had Skip CoolDown selected in the training room options. It is auto selected everytime you boot up the game. I don't even know why that is an option when Hitboxes/Frame Data are a little bit more important.

Reactions: Midiman
Additionally, I'm pretty sure Chel gets her fireball cooldown set to 0 when it hits? it seems to happen enough outside of training mode and the small amounts i've played her?

Yeah her cd resets on hit.

You can't do the double fireball without KA though.

KA reduces cooldown by about 2 seconds, last I checked, plus Chel's fireball's cooldown reset on contact, even if it trades with another projectile.

There is nothing strange about that Chel vid.

Oh I was assuming that he wasn't using KA.

@FakeangeL is completely correct.

@Fedora_Ninja

You are correct. For some reason I thought that they slow-falled during the super flash in SFIV. In any case, it shouldn't really have an effect. Just like any other fighter, you'll be able to combo into Ultra from some things and not from others.

Besides combos, the moving during super flash does have an effect when you clearly see them recovering from that blocked/whiffed move and they are given extra time to block.

On another subject, why the hell can they KD out of a grab? It seems like supers are the only way to beat it out.

This shit is dumb

I don't really understand why everyone seems to complain about how the superflash is handled in this game. Can someone explain it to me? When I watch videos like this I don't think "why did that not connect, that's bullshit;" Instead I just think "ok, so he fucked up and did his super too late, what's the big deal?"

I don't even know why that is an option when Hitboxes/Frame Data are a little bit more important.

I would consider quick cooldowns to be way more important for testing things out. Hitboxes and frame data are nice, but they're not really essential right now. People are just learning how to play, so being able to reduce the cooldowns really helps people to test out their combos and setups without having to go through the cumbersome wait time that cooldowns normally enforce. Having hitboxes and frame data would be awesome, but I don't need those things in order to learn the game. Having cooldowns, however, really helps me practice things in training mode.

Also it's just an alpha build. I'm sure they'd like to have more in their training mode, but simply don't right now.

The thing that irritates me the most about the superflash business is the fact that since there's no superflash freeze supers are nearly 100% useless as antiairs.

I don't really understand why everyone seems to complain about how the superflash is handled in this game.
In most other games with superflashes, the opponent freezes during the superflash. Meaning if they've committed to a button, and the superflash starts, they're going to be on whatever frame they were on when the superflash ends. This means if you did a stupid and they throw out a super, you're going to get hit.

In Rising Thunder, your frames still progress during a superflash. Meaning if I commit to a button, and the superflash starts, I have time to recover from that button and block during the superflash.

Basically, they've broken superflash tradition, and it's irritating people because they can't do the stuff they'd normally be able to do with the freeze.

Last edited:
But they act effectively the same.

In my experience, most SFIV Ultras are going to get blocked unless your opponent has committed to a super slow button.

In this game, most Ultras are going to get blocked unless your opponent has committed to a super slow button.

Edge/Dauntless punish fireballs from almost full screen with their Ultras. Vlad still punishes jump-ins with his. I punish Talos's charged throws with Chel's Ultra all the time.

And so while I'm sympathetic to the complaint, they operate effectively the same. You're still not going to catch jabs. You are still going to catch heavies. So on.

Reactions: Skullmageddon
It looks really dumb when I'm alternating guards during the super flashfreeze

So they waste their super and I get to teabag? Sweet.

Reactions: Spencer
In Rising Thunder, your frames still progress during a superflash. Meaning if I commit to a button, and the superflash starts, I have time to recover from that button and block.

Basically, they've broken superflash tradition, and it's irritating people because they can't do the stuff they'd normally be able to do with the freeze.
It's not really super flash/freeze, then. It's just normal start up/cool down differences, just slowed down for effect and making it "reactable" in some cases; it's not very different from holding upBack after committing to a move in terms of functionality and "reacting" to something. That's.....it just doesnt seem like a reason to complain. That just sounds like people projecting mechanics of one game into another; it's no different from complaining about why iad works differently in different games. This game just seems to require different timing/spacing and usage for supers compared to other games. If people are reacting to a super, then it was used at the wrong time imo.

Now if supers were always reactable (i.e. it's impossible to get hit if you're paying attention) then yeah, the mechanic is busted. But I've seen people getting hit (combo extenders, hard reads, and whiff punishes on high recovery moves) so proper times to use them do exist. People need to find them and carve them into their flesh.

#bloodForTheBloodGoddess

I think the main problem people have with this approach to superflash is that it limits the use of supers (they are now either combo extensions or only useful for a hard read). This makes supers a lot less useful and varied. For example, look at all the uses supers have in Skullgirls, they wouldn't be anywhere near as varied or useful if their superflashes acted like this. If this is a deliberate action to limit the usability of supers, why not freeze opponents during the superflash but just adjust their startup frames outside of superflash? That would give people a clear idea of how fast their supers actually are.

Plus it just looks silly.

Reactions: dead
I think the main problem people have with this approach to superflash is that it limits the use of supers (they are now either combo extensions or only useful for a hard read). This makes supers a lot less useful and varied. For example, look at all the uses supers have in Skullgirls, they wouldn't be anywhere near as varied or useful if their superflashes acted like this. If this is a deliberate action to limit the usability of supers, why not freeze opponents during the superflash but just adjust their startup frames outside of superflash? That would give people a clear idea of how fast their supers actually are.

Plus it just looks silly.
I don't think Skullgirls is a fair comparison. It's a different style of fighter, every character has a several supers, and you have the option of playing one to three (lol 123) characters which multiplies the amoun of supers you have. The meter system is also different.

Also, "looking silly" is an opinion =P

They operate almost identically to the Ultras in SFIV... which is a more fair comparison.

SG definitely has a variety of supers... things that have use in neutral (catheads, install), and as such have no good comparison in RI.

But others are used almost identically as they are in Rising Thunder... from a combo for more damage (how they should be used 90% of the time in RI) or as a mashed hail mary reversal (how they are actually used 90% of the time in RI)... and I'd argue that despite super flash, they function better as a mashed reversal than they do in SFIV with super flash.

The thing that irritates me the most about the superflash business is the fact that since there's no superflash freeze supers are nearly 100% useless as antiairs.

Vlad's is amazing.

pffffftttttt... Vlad Edge and Chel are like top three. then it's Dauntless then Talos.

fudging, just make a new character or something. I want to see what Seth can really bring to the table here.

But they act effectively the same.
You're forced to "remember" how slow your superflash animation is and how much time really passes between the superflash and real game time. Dauntless Super might even pass like 6f of "real time" which is a lot, and far more than 0, and then she actually does her move, which already has its own startup and whatnot

The difference is that one is misleading on purpose. Not even 3S has this; only like SFIV and now RT? I might be missing something

it basically makes your 16 frame super into a 16 frame super with a 60 frame reactable window (however long the flash takes) and makes it very easy to react to. For instance, in the talos mirror match you can super their super on reaction and the person that went second gets the grab. It's bad design and it looks silly; it would be better if they front loaded the startup frames.

It depends what you want Supers to be used for. If you don't like people doing Supers randomly in neutral, this is .. the way to go.
Not everything that a game does differently than SG is "bad design" by default.

I don't even like it! I agree that it looks kinda silly, I also got quite sad in SF4 when I would AA a peak height jump with Juri U2 and they would just land and block postflash.. but when did it start that every design choice you disagree with had to be "bad"?

One of the biggest complaints about SG back in the day was the fact that all supers were instantaneous post flash. They were even toned down substantially from launch because they were super dumb nuggets.

Like Isa said, you can't have supers activate first frame post-flash and not suffer from the serious reprocussions of what it does to your game (in a game like this).

Also, being able to act during Talos' super flash seems to be a bug (Or both Talos' activated on the same frame, and both SHOULD have had their grabs whiff).

If you play anything besides SG and Marvel, RT's implementation makes perfect sense.

VLAD MATCHUPS (Grain of Salt pls)

Vlad v. Chel - 6.5-3.5 Chel

Chel can OS DP vs. Vlad's empty low option, meaning all mixups now involve hard DP baits. Vlad has some OS potential of his own, but it won't work of fly cancels with the speed of Chel's S2.2.

Chel wins neutral and wins mid-range. s.H is god.

Currently, Vlad's Clobbering Rush doesn't work on Chel if she's caught at mid-range cr.L, so confirming off counterpokes is virtually impossible.

Chel can safely pressure against Vlad's slow DP with meaty cr.L due to it's speed. Vlad is free to ambiguous crossups at a certain distance, as the point of auto-correction happens far too late for his S2 to actually hit her.

Vlad loses a lot of his magic on a good connection. Quickfly becomes reactable in neutral.

Vlad v. Crow - 6.5-3.5 Crow

Vlad needs to get in against Crow, but Crow's neutral and mixups are just as strong, and Vlad's defensive options are about as weak as Crow's. Vlad's DP doesn't really factor into this, due to it's speed of startup and the crossup situation I spoke of up above.

Vlad v. Talos - 6-4 Vlad

Both characters have to make hard reads to get in and stay in. I feel there's potential here for Talos to level the playing field with more exploration of system mechanics when on Defense, but until that's figured out, Vlad wins this pretty handily.

Vlad v. Dauntless - 5-5

I'm not sure what to make of this matchup. Upon further exploration, Dauntless can Dust Breaker KADC out of pressure if anything is blocked on the ground (Vlad can't jump away). Vlad is at the mercy of Dauntless' normals while Dauntless is at the mercy of Vlad's damage and mixups.

Vlad v. Edge - 4.5-5.5

I think this is fairly even after the Edge nerfs. DP KADC being minus gave Vlad an out, while the hitbox changes on DP made Vlad's mixups a bit more potent. Vlad has an easier time dealing with Edge's DP in general, which is slightly weaker than Chel's due to startup.

Some issues with this matchup being that cr.L doesn't combo into Clobbering Rush at most ranges. This is a huge issue when counterpoking as Vlad.

Vlad v. Vlad - 5-5

They're both winners. Who ever gets the knockdown gets to play offense cleanly. His own worst matchup.

you're going to have to enlighten me, it doesn't make perfect sense to me. A move should be dictated by it's frame data not by cinematics. If it were up to me they would do away with cinematics all together.

I mentioned SG because it is a game we are all familiar with it. I also didn't say it was bad design (and I certainly didn't say it was bad because it is different from SG). I was just trying to explain why people here don't like it.

you're going to have to enlighten me, it doesn't make perfect sense to me. A move should be dictated by it's frame data not by cinematics. If it were up to me they would do away with cinematics all together.

I really don't see the difference here. Sorry. Characters can anti-air with their supers if they're high enough in their jump arc. Supers win out if someone's already hit a button and not before they hit a button (The cinematic makes random supers less likely to work). In SG, supers have a much larger window of success over most other games due to the fact that the startup is pre-flash in SG. It's one of the biggest complaints about SG from people coming from outside the Marvel genre.

Guys I think I found icky. Pls come back we love you. I mean I love you. I mean, I love the bella combo things you do. yeah.

I really don't see the difference here. Sorry. Characters can anti-air with their supers if they're high enough in their jump arc. Supers win out if someone's already hit a button and not before they hit a button (The cinematic makes random supers less likely to work). In SG, supers have a much larger window of success over most other games due to the fact that the startup is pre-flash in SG. It's one of the biggest complaints about SG from people coming from outside the Marvel genre.

There's a huge difference, it changes how reactable the supers are. Why shouldn't random supers work? if you don't respect it or dont notice the startup you should get hit. They're all whiff punishable or unsafe on block. I also don't think supers should be invincible like they are in RT to make up for reactibility, it just makes it that much easier to mash out of mixups. Why should a super be more react able the any other move witht he same frame data?

ermmm... I'm not sure that's the Icky we all know and love. Last time I saw him, he was busy with his band. I mean...

if he's still around here we can tag him. idk... I'll see on the RT forums.

There's a huge difference, it changes how reactable the supers are. Why shouldn't random supers work? if you don't respect it or dont notice the startup you should get hit. They're all whiff punishable or unsafe on block. I also don't think supers should be invincible like they are in RT to make up for reactibility, it just makes it that much easier to mash out of mixups. Why should a super be more react able the any other move witht he same frame data?

You're suggesting to change the supers completely in order to balance them so the cinematic freeze can be done away with. That's different.

As it stands the supers, as they are currently designed, should have a cinematic freeze.

Also, both Chel and Crow's supers are advantageous with KADC, and not whiff punishable in some cases.

I never realized so many people clung to Stun as a good mechanic until I actually got into a debate on it over on the forums for RT.

The supers rub me wrong the least. Since they have armor I can use them in neutral and get hits still when ppl attempt to press or reposition themselves during superflash. It still seems a bit silly, but of all the things I could complain about, the Super Time Slow Pre-Super effect thingy has the least effect on my opinion of this game. It's something I can live with.

Yes, I think the super system needs to be re worked.

as for stun, people will defend literally anything.

Oh I can definitely see how it needs to be reworked. As it stands I'm more or less guessing at when to throw out my super if not throwing it immediately because it's hard to exactly time with things like lag, frames passing in slowed time, and actually aiming the super correctly. It's just, as it stands, it works, and I feel there are more pressing issues to complain and rant about.

It'd be a simple fix to just add varying startup to the superflash or alter the timing of the actual attack so that it still matches up with how they want ppl to hit with supers, but not add this hard to time time slow. Time slow is for Roman Cancels, dammit D:

Played a bit of this game. Honestly the thing that annoys me the most is that the hit stun and block animations are nearly the same thing on a lot of characters, especially crouching. In particular, vlad's crouching hit animation is complete shit. I mean he's sitting down with his legs crossed, I don't think he'd be able to maintain that position while being punched by a giant robot. There have been several times where I could have converted off a hit and didn't because I thought they were blocking.