• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Salty Bet

Theres honestly no point to subbing for illuminati status anyway. You can see each fighters win rate. Yaaaaaaay

Yeah, it's definitely something fun to watch, but I wouldn't pay money to this.
pretty much. its all about the crazy weirdness.

also this is just puzzling: i've seen at least 5 different characters with sprites that are made from screenshots of SF4 models and yet i haven't seen a single character from skullgirls? :confused:

pretty much. its all about the crazy weirdness.

also this is just puzzling: i've seen at least 5 different characters with sprites that are made from screenshots of SF4 models and yet i haven't seen a single character from skullgirls? :confused:
Skullgirls sprites are hard to rip as they aren't very traditional and that SG4 has been around longer and SF in general as more of fanbase that as been along around longer as well

On a completly differnt note the "illuminati" emotes aren't even that good (also I don't care much about the SaltyvsBank as I have done research on it but at the end of the day no one can change what happened and even though Salty maybe a supposed dick he still constantly takes care of Saltybets and treats it like buisness )

Not gonna lie. Would be tempted to sub if a broken yet entertaining Marie 300% were to appear in Salty. You would hear constant "See how weak you are!" throughout the match.

Not gonna lie. Would be tempted to sub if a broken yet entertaining Marie 300% were to appear in Salty. You would hear constant "See how weak you are!" throughout the match.
only if she had an unstoppable IPS system in the form of an Aeon assist that 1-hit KOs those like Rare Akuma & D. Donald.

Does Saltybet cover other fighting game events as well?
As fun as it is to see random MS Paint characters to beat each other up, I really would enjoy some real matches, not some awful CPU using totally broken characters.

I think they stopped with real events and only mugen now.

I got a few more ideas that any mugen creators around should follow:
Overture Sol - Its Sol. Voiced by Troy Baker. Because why not?
Aria Justice - Its Justice. Using the Wendee Lee voice from Robo-Valentine. It fits.
Unlimited/Gold Characters - I'm super surprised I have yet to see infinite meteor Faust or OHKO Mist Finers or UNLIMITED HAKUMEN at all on Salty Bet. I believe if its a character is broken in the original game, its probably "totally fair" in mugen. :cool:

So, Rare Akuma.
Best spectacle there is to witness in Salty Bet or what?
Rare Akuma has some amazing jokes in his design. The Planet of the Akumas finisher is always rather hilarious.

I actually heard since around 2010 most of the MUGEN communities are either dead or not active.
Sad.

And yeah, funnily enough, I saw that finisher the first time I ever saw him.
I was bedazzled and amazed

I actually heard since around 2010 most of the MUGEN communities are either dead or not active.
Sad.
mugen has always been one of those things that's always been around, after all.

i can only assume salty's surprising popularity has made more people notice mugen and maybe spur some new creations?

mugen has always been one of those things that's always been around, after all.

i can only assume salty's surprising popularity has made more people notice mugen and maybe spur some new creations?
I'd hope so.
I'm just waiting for some Madoka or other recent anime to show up.
and I know there's gotta at least be a Mami out there

I'd hope so.
I'm just waiting for some Madoka or other recent anime to show up.
and I know there's gotta at least be a Mami out there
There a Madoka characters in there like Charlette and the Butterfly witch which i forget the name of

I dont really know why youd want to look for a mugen community. Its a REALLY fun/funny game to watch. But absolutely terrible when you actually play it

I dont really know why youd want to look for a mugen community. Its a REALLY fun/funny game to watch. But absolutely terrible when you actually play it
Pretty much what I've learned over the years.
It's simply not fun to play and try to figure out how each character plays

Mugen isn't really a game, it is more of an engine. People just saw it and said "Why not take all these characters and make a ridiculous cross over". There have been people who made decent fighting games out of the engine, there was a weird card based one with original sprites and all that jazz.

Making stuff for mugen was pretty fun back when I was a bit younger. I've seen a few old creations of mine in Saltybet, like the Black Ranger and the Snowman with a shoto's body named (sman).

Anyway, the two are kinda old now, dating to 2007/2008, but I had a lot of fun making them both. I never coded my own AI for either of them, which explains why they always do dumb stuff on the stream. (sman) spamming Falcon Punch is pretty funny though, so it's okay I guess. I might send in an updated version of him soon whenever I finish giving him a new AI and finish up some other stuff. I did actually do an overhaul of his moveset and such, just never released that version of him to the public.

I also wonder if I should send him this character I made earlier this year, lol.
http://mugenguild.com/forum/topics/ioro-147788.0.html

Last edited:
Reactions: Jutsei
Mugen isn't really a game, it is more of an engine. People just saw it and said "Why not take all these characters and make a ridiculous cross over". There have been people who made decent fighting games out of the engine, there was a weird card based one with original sprites and all that jazz.
Not to mention some damn good custom fighters.
Dragon Claw, anyone?

i think its funny i was asking for a new sol and now we see a really REALLY amazing sol on tonight's broadcast.

i still want an overture sol because troy baker. also overture sol has a divekick. all the coolest characters have divekicks.

Reactions: Jutsei
i think its funny i was asking for a new sol and now we see a really REALLY amazing sol on tonight's broadcast.

i still want an overture sol because troy baker. also overture sol has a divekick. all the coolest characters have divekicks.
I missed that and Rare Akuma vs Rare Akuma?
Shiiiiiiiit.

Here's a video of me losing $184,000: http://www.twitch.tv/evaxephon/c/2923202

I've seen a few old creations of mine in Saltybet, like the Black Ranger and the Snowman with a shoto's body named (sman).

You made (sman)? That's so cool, dude!

I know that SaltyBet is using characters from The_None made as recently as two weeks ago, so there is still SOME life in the MUGEN community, and he does keep his version of MUGEN fairly up-to-date.

I missed the tournament on Thursday. Who won? Where can I see the brackets?

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Here's a video of me losing $184,000: http://www.twitch.tv/evaxephon/c/2923202

You made (sman)? That's so cool, dude!

I know that SaltyBet is using characters from The_None made as recently as two weeks ago, so there is still SOME life in the MUGEN community, and he does keep his version of MUGEN fairly up-to-date.

I missed the tournament on Thursday. Who won? Where can I see the brackets?
I wish I could tell you who one but I forget his name all I know his he had the level up assist mechanic and wore all green and had a circle blade and apparently a sun gimmick as that was what the chat kept blowing up with when he won (his opponent was sol btw)

I wish I could tell you who one but I forget his name all I know his he had the level up assist mechanic and wore all green and had a circle blade and apparently a sun gimmick as that was what the chat kept blowing up with when he won (his opponent was sol btw)
After checking a bit, it was Mouri from Basara.

Sol was really good, but Basara characters are super broken because the game they are from is super broken.

But hey, it was all Arc systems finale.

I've realized that Salty Bet is a lot like a game called Papers Please.

In Papers Please, you are given a passport to look at, and you have to decide whether the passport is a forgery or not.

In Salty Bet, you are given two fighters to bet on, and you have to figure out which fighter is better.

In Papers Please, there is a lot of information that can identify a forged passport. The date of birth being wrong. The gender being wrong. The name being wrong. The expiration date. An invalid country of origin. An invalid issuing city. An invalid serial number.

In Salty Bet, there is a lot of information that will determine which fighter is going to win. The Guilty Gear characters with a "BURST" meter have better AI than the ones without a BURST meter. The Jojo characters with a meter above their heads have better AI than the ones without a meter. The Silversamurai without a space in his name is better than the Silver Samurai with a space in his name. There are so many clone / duplicate characters, and so many ways to identify which one is better.

In Papers Please, you are supposed to examine the documents in front of you, and make the call: Accept or Deny.

In Salty Bet, you are supposed to examine the characters in front of you, and make the call: Player 1, or Player 2.

Then, you find out if you made the right call. You get a reward if you were right, and a penalty if you were wrong.

Playing Papers Please, playing Salty Bet...it's almost the same experience. You gotta scrutinize the hell out of what's in front of you, then make a tough call based on dozens of factors.

And in both games, there's a time limit to make your decision, and a currency that you are earning as you play!

Last edited:
Whose hype for the top 8 this Thursday? Predictions anyone? I think Felicia could take it. She's fast does good damage and if she gets in a bind she can activate her green rolling ball super.

Puzzle Fighter Felicia only lost ONE ROUND in the tourney she took part in. Every match she had was a perfect sweep, except for one fight. She's not my favorite character, but I have a feeling she's going to take the tournament.

Then again, the updated Petshop is also pretty beastly....

Now that I think about it, I've never seen PF Felicia deal with a ranged character / projectile spam character. Someone who just hangs out up in the top corner of the screen and spams projectiles all day might be able to fend off PF Felicia.

Here are the previous brackets for anyone who wants to speculate:

1 - 7: http://challonge.com/users/cherrywarrior
8 - 9: http://challonge.com/users/saltybet

Whose hype for the top 8 this Thursday? Predictions anyone? I think Felicia could take it. She's fast does good damage and if she gets in a bind she can activate her green rolling ball super.
I forget who is in top 8 but as long as Mouri from Basara loses I'll be happy

Yeah AI for PF Felicia is kind of nuts. Only seen her once. Also theres a tournament on salty bet? when did this start, and who is in the brackets?

Yeah AI for PF Felicia is kind of nuts. Only seen her once. Also theres a tournament on salty bet? when did this start, and who is in the brackets?

Once a week, every Thursday, at 6PM (pacific coast time, that is) Salty Bet holds a tournament between the characters that kick the most ass. There are no "broken" characters allowed - no joke characters with one-hit-kills, just badass characters who can put up a really good fight.

There have been 9 tournaments so far. The next tournament is a tourney between the winners of the past 8 tournaments, to see which tourney-winner is the best!

Brackets for 1 - 7: http://challonge.com/users/cherrywarrior
Brackets for 8 - 9: http://challonge.com/users/saltybet

Once a week, every Thursday, at 6PM (pacific coast time, that is) Salty Bet holds a tournament between the characters that kick the most ass.
i usually watch it as a way to pass the time until cupcakes starts up

felicia seems to take small bits of damage here and there before going to parry everything full lockdown mode.

whoever can knock off some amount of her life and has silly amounts of health regen to offset her attacks could theoretically win against her by all timeouts. it'll be boring as hell though.

felicia seems to take small bits of damage here and there before going to parry everything full lockdown mode.

whoever can knock off some amount of her life and has silly amounts of health regen to offset her attacks could theoretically win against her by all timeouts. it'll be boring as hell though.

Actually, there is a character exactly like you described! It's Nail.

nail.gif

Like all DBZ characters, Nail loves to charge up, rather than actually fight. However, this actually benefits him; he HEALS when he charges up. Nail won one of the tournaments almost purely because of his tendency to heal himself all day long. He also has a penchant for flying up in the air where he can't be hit, giving him a safe place to heal himself. And, like the other DBZ characters, he also likes to blast the opponent with a giant energy beam, which usually gives him the health bar advantage once the timer runs out.

He's just another brainless DBZ character who randomly mashes buttons, but his habit of healing himself up in the sky could lead to a cheap win against Felicia.

I refreshed Salty Bet and noticed that now I have a Zeroko avatar. That means I've bet on more than 9000 matches. There's no rank above Zeroko. My bailout is now $100. I don't know whether to be proud of this, or feel ashamed for spending so much time on Salty Bet.

Behold, immortalized in .png format forever, the moment when Blossom stole almost 200k from me and sent me back into the Salt Mines.

http://i.imgur.com/uMkYUIX.png

Moved to the gaming section.

I missed that and Rare Akuma vs Rare Akuma?
Shiiiiiiiit.

if u haven't seen it yet, here it is on Saltybets channel: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n3sKOix6fgg

Then again, the updated Petshop is also pretty beastly....
I forgot Petshop. the spikes save his ass. He brings those out then no ones safe, not even Nail. But then again all Nail has to do is beam and regen once and he could win.

Even with all those benefits, Nail couldn't have won if not for the fact that HE CHEATS. Due to bad programming, his hitbox disappears once he's knocked down. Then he does his stupid DBZ schtick. He's not going to the tourney because he's boring and anti-hype. Besides that, he was cut to shreds by Chaos Hiryu who just killed him before he even hit the ground. Didn't need a tourney to figure THAT outcome.