• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

SG in Wineskin on Mac OSX

senpusha

nix
Reaction score
Steam
http://steamcommunity.com/id/senpusha/
Wineskin basically works in OS X by creating a 'windows space' for games to run, coming in to start you might find some pre-made wineskins that try and run your game, for Skullgirls I only found the one:

http://paulthetall.com/skullgirls-mac/

Basically a Wineskin is a Mac OSX app that you can Right Click and go > Show Package Contents. If you downloaded a Wineskin you may have to edit your security settings to Allow apps downloaded from: o Anywhere.

When you've opened the package you basically have a folder structure that emulates a windows structure c:/Program Files/Steam... (if you are missing the steam folder read on for how to install the steam hook)

These in a broad sense do the job but don't address certain issues which is that this particular wineskin is out of date. Basically the steam hook they create points to an older version of steam and even updating to the latest doesn't really help. You need to bake your own recent version of wineskin.

To the Wineskin website.

So basically you create a wineskin wrapper and use the install hook to give yourself the latest version of steam.

You'll have to go to the steam site and download the latest windows steaminstaller.exe to your mac, then when you have your Skullgirls wrapper opened you will see a Wineskin app you can open to tweak the wineskin settings.

Screen%20Shot%202014-01-14%20at%209.08.30%20pm.png

After you click Install Software, select your steaminstaller.exe and it should install it to your Wineskin wrapper.

Not seeing any text on the steam windows?

You will have to modify the Wine wrapper in the Advanced settings.

On the Tools tab use the Config Utility (winecfg) and add the dwrite overwrite library and set it to disabled.

One last step that I had to do to get the game to get past the intro and into the SG menu is to go to the winetricks utility inside the Wine wrapper and run new versions of d3dx10 and d3dx9. One last note though is to make sure you aren't running in Fullscreen, even with override. Keep in mind that Skullgirls syncs it's save data to steam servers so if you accidentally set it to fullscreen then you can set it to windowed on a windows PC. The Skullgirls save files are in .bins so who knows how to modify the video settings there (probably made that way to be idiot proof).

If anyone is interested in my wineskin wrapper please message me and I'll try and help you set it up.

Game breaking things that make this unplayable for me:

For the life of me I can't seem to get the input to work with my Madcatz Fightstick Pro (360) or my PS360+. I have a feeling that the problem is in OSX passing input down to direct x input but I have no idea where to even start setting it up. The team doing the wrappers for Spelunky seem to use a library to shiv in controllers called x360ce. But I'm not sure if that is with the original 360 wired controllers and if that is a problem for arcade sticks (I suppose with more time I should investigate if it works).

I'm currently installing a parallels trial for my mac. Hopefully running natively in windows land will give me better results.

I'll keep this post updated with new developments. Thanks.

Reactions: Vadsamoht
Running SG in Linux/WINE works normally for me with two key exceptions:

1. Netplay is unplayably slow.

2. Controller input has a significant delay. PS3 controllers have native drivers for Linux, but the only way I was able to get the controls to work register with WINE/SG was to remap them all through a keyboard mapping application. If there's another way to get WINE to recognize the controller, it'd probably take a bunch of overhead out and maybe work better.

Been using WineBottler (update came over a month ago where it fixed the steam crash bug during opening sequence) on my Macbook and game been playing fairly stable since for offline/online.

Been using WineBottler (update came over a month ago where it fixed the steam crash bug during opening sequence) on my Macbook and game been playing fairly stable since for offline/online.

Were you able to get the input working correctly using WineBottler? Any tips for getting it working?

Just a update for everyone I ended up using Parallels for my event and it ran pretty well, controls too but it's pretty annoying to keep windows / parallels installed just for skullgirls

I just run windows off of bootcamp on my mac. Everything runs perfectly fine for me.

Yeah, the three options are:

1. Wineskin / WineBottle / whatever
  2. Parallels
  3. Boot camping
I guess I just would love to see wineskin come to a point where it can play the game with my arcade sticks just offline. I'm gonna stick with the parallels option for awhile.