• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona

Just let me hypnotize all the demons into doing my bidding like in Nocturne and I'll be happy.

Demon negotiations have never been 'fine.'

If you didn't know about the option where ending negotiations and how it gave you a better chance at recruiting that demon than any other option, then yeah sure negotiations were never fine.

Personally I feel that negotiations don't need improvement because demons in SMT are just really huge assholes and I don't expect some asshole demon to comply with me catching them in my pokeball or something.

Also, I think it's time for another playthrough of SMT4 now that SMT4-2 is a thing.

make it like raidou
except replace the tubes with school lockers and let me shove demons into them after they give me their lunch money

SMT if... takes place in a school and I wished that happened.

shove those bastard gnomes into a shoe locker

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
make it like raidou
Just make Raidou, the second was an improvement in terms of gameplay, this series could be great. It's not like Devil Summoner is living any other way, the Soul Hackers port was rushed as hell.

There are minor issues you may or may not run into. If you use 2 save files with the same name, if one has a key item, it won't be in the other's game, there is text that just goes off screen, little things mostly.

I actually loved Soul Hackers, though it's really easy. And don't get me wrong, I'm thankful we got it at all, but it was clearly just kind of shoved out because everyone was making IV, the new extra dungeon was cool, fighting the Raido(u)s.

Last edited:
I found the game to be okay for what it is. It's mechanically dated if you're used to PS2-era Megaten games, but if you can deal with it (it really isn't that bad honestly), it's one of the more interesting Megaten games when it comes to setting, 2nd to DDS1/2 IMO.

well unless you hate your RPGs to have a first-person perspective I guess.

Soul Hackers is also another example to prove Doi is an excellent artist when making someone else's art. Too bad he can't do that well for his own.

Mm, well, I'm about to interupt this riveting discussion with a question about Nocturne.

So I'm in the Third Kalpa (fuck these things by the way) and I'm a little confused on something. You can explore these areas where you have to have a certain amount of strength/magic/luck to get goodies, but they also lead to a room below, which leads to a ladder that activates the Dante chase sequence. What's stopping me from skipping these three rooms entirely and going straight to Dante? Is it just goodies? I don't have enough magic or luck so I haven't gone in them yet, so I don't fuckin' know.

1gDVZMZ.png

SMT 4 Final: If they get rid of "save anywhere" and put the defensive stat back in, maybe I'll get hype. I liked the setting, atmosphere, and music in IV, but it just fell flat in a lot of ways due to minor things that really hampered the experience for me.

Also got my hopes up for a female protagonist for a sec there. Fuck.

Mm, well, I'm about to interupt this riveting discussion with a question about Nocturne.

So I'm in the Third Kalpa (fuck these things by the way) and I'm a little confused on something. You can explore these areas where you have to have a certain amount of strength/magic/luck to get goodies, but they also lead to a room below, which leads to a ladder that activates the Dante chase sequence. What's stopping me from skipping these three rooms entirely and going straight to Dante? Is it just goodies? I don't have enough magic or luck so I haven't gone in them yet, so I don't fuckin' know.

1gDVZMZ.png

All 3 of them sell a different demon iirc, one of them has a Burial Chamber.

They all lead to Dante though.

Reactions: BeatNinja
You know what? Homogenizimg the new designs is an okay choice. Lucifer still looks like ass though.

Famitsu scans. Order may be a bit jumbled.

Edit: Or the upload errors can just result in a mess, that works too. Fixed.
1444232641196.jpg
1444232820383.jpg
1444232631322.png
1444232741693.jpg
1444233002299.jpg
1444232903574.jpg
1444233160044.jpg
1444233081049.jpg
1444233269744.jpg

Last edited:
So...how the hell is Medusa back? And is she important this time? Thought we killed her dead for good in SMT IV >_>

Unless...prequel? but...Lucifer and Merk's apperances use Jonathon and Walter's fused forms......but...what about Flynn? I'm confused...

Navarre being dead as well as Lucy and Merkabah make it after IV.

Also depending on context you can't actually destroy demons, just that physical form, which in SMT is the case for the most part since things exist because they are believed to exist.

Allegedly the text on the second page is the lyrics to Imagine, but I have no idea how true that is, but it would make sense if we're following the neutral end; Above us only sky.

Navarre dead? I mean, he was an ass...but after all the pain and trouble I made to save his ass on that stupid side quest...Come on Navarre, work with me for once.

let's just say that for as magnificent an asshole Nacarre is... fuck Navarre.
that minor monster can be to Navarre as the pool is too Huey.

that minor monster can be to Navarre as the pool is too Huey.
I'm not sure what you're trying to say, did you not finish Phantom Pain?

So do I, but you uh, view Huey in a much different context after certain events in Phantom Pain. He should have killed himself long before that.

So...should I play SMT IV before this game?
I got time.

Not really, it's pretty mediocre unless you just want to fuse some demons, compendium is great, you'll never complete it though.
2015-10-07-183331.jpg

It's a pretty solid game heldback by some pretty subtle but significant flaws. I wouldn't call it mediocre. Maybe worth playing for the soundtrack/setting/atmosphere, depending on how into that you are.

As for SMT 4 Final stuff: Lucifer's design actually got worse lol. He went from weirdly proportioned metrosexual snake man to weirdly proportioned metrosexual blackman.txt*. He looks a lot goofier now with the redone face, at least 4's design had a kind of uncanny valley thing going.

Really need to bring back Kazuma Kaneko for monster designs or at least try harder to ape his style.

At least the mermaid and new girl are cuties though.

Meme on another forum I visit where some banned user had posted a image of his desktop and it had a file named that on it.

Can't find the image atm lol

Last edited:
So...should I play SMT IV before this game?
I got time.
I think it's great. just make sure you realize you have to cheat out the bosses because they will shit on you if you don't.

I really wish Keita Amemiya's artwork for the game was more of the artwork he did for Jetman and Garo than his new take for artstyle.

Last edited:
It's a pretty solid game heldback by some pretty subtle but significant flaws. I wouldn't call it mediocre.
I would say "solid with flaws" is roughly equivalent with mediocre. And I typically see people who haven't played more of the other games enjoy it more than people who have, which includes me, (and I'm not saying you haven't played, I'm making a general statement) it's just so lackluster compared to anything else, dungeons are nearly non-existent, smirk is garbage so the only pro to combat is that it's press turn, the story ranges from complex and somewhat subtle at times to an utter mess at separate points, the support cast are nonsensical at best, and let's be honest, they struck a bizarre balance in trying to be more user friendly where some staples of the series are flat out gone, while some things are vastly improved, the only exception off the top of my head being that they went back on Strange Journey's system for hunting fiends and made it the RNG garbage it was in SMT and SMTII

Those things, being a lot of the game, aside there is definitely good stuff, world traversal and locations are fine, a lot of side quests present actually interesting content if you're into mythology, and like all the Sandman-esque stuff with it, and aren't hampered down with all the writing problems of the main story, press turn is a good system though smirk is not, compendium is awesome and fusion, while there are some problems is pretty much the best it's ever been.

I posted the image for a reason, I'm not shitting on a game I dislike, I got every ending, did every sidequest and made every demon that wasn't Matador, the riders and Harlot. It's just that it doesn't have anything special against nearly any other game. It's fine, is it worth playing? Sure. Is it worth replaying? Meh, unless you're that in to getting the demons there isn't much going on. And sure, it's better than replaying the calendar games.

I have a lot of hopes for the follow-up game, and other than Lucy, Doi seems to be doing a good enough job blending the demons in, which is great, some of those designs are actually cool but they just didn't fit. New character designs are also at least visually interesting whether or not you like them, unlike IV's cast.

I would say "solid with flaws" is roughly equivalent with mediocre.

For me that would be more "good but not great", territory.

Agree with most everything else though. I think the music and setting is the most unique and interesting part of the game. Has some nice atmosphere at times. But gameplay is a mixed bag, as is the main story.

Reactions: Gahooglydonks
hey man, Touma isn't an idol.

;-;7 he wants to be a hero.

For me that would be more "good but not great", territory.
I think we're pretty much using different words to describe the same thing.

I think the music and setting is the most unique and interesting part of the game. Has some nice atmosphere at times.
Yeah, I forgot to mention music in the positives, while in my opinion it's not at the top of the MT games, it's certainly great at times and good at worst, really does help the atmosphere, and I like the game's atmosphere, it's just that it gets interrupted by the writing sometimes and that frustrates me.

This game is going to be a stain on the reputation of both series. FE didn't need this to make its future even more questionable...
;-;7
Completely off-topic, but would someone mind explaining this to me? I see his ;-;7 thing all the time. I know the ;-; is the crying face, but what is the 7?

This game is going to be a stain on the reputation of both series. FE didn't need this to make its future even more questionable...

Completely off-topic, but would someone mind explaining this to me? I see his ;-;7 thing all the time. I know the ;-; is the crying face, but what is the 7?
A salute.
serveimage

Reactions: Meow-Professor
Not quite sure how I never put one and two together, thanks.

I find SMTxFE the stupidest thing Atlus has ever put out and I have the utmost confidence that it is going to be deeper than we expected.

I really didn't know I could get interested in some stupid ass IdolM@ster RPG by Atlus.

This game is going to be a stain on the reputation of both series
Stain is a stong word, honestly all I know about the game is what is in the first trailer, which I absolutely hated to the point I was actually a little upset, but I don't feel like it will have enough impact to leave a stain, or even be terrible enough to be one. That trailer told me the game wasn't for me, and that's fine, but I don't think this project would still be going if there was nothing salvageable. Maybe it's just to make more money from the P4 crowd, no idea.

guys.
only two of the main playable characters revealed want or are idols.
the other two are actors.
Touma wants to be an actor in the Japanese superhero genre.
Eleonora wants to be a hollywood actress.
those aren't idols.

chill.
the game is more of being a part of the media/being an entertainer.
not being idols in general.
if you look at all of the characters introduced (tsubasa aside since I haven't looked too hard into him) you'll find they each have had, or want to have, their hands in entertainment.

FE didn't need this to make its future even more questionable...

FE's future as it stands is a hardcore game that's somehow still profitable in a sea of casual bullshit.

In other words, it's a shining light in the infinite abyss.

It's SMT's future that is in question, in my honest opinion. It feels like they're rapidly losing the talent that made the series magical, and unless they play an ace soon, it's just going to become another milked Atlus moneycow.

IV was almost that ace, but like I said, it falls tragically short IMO.

Stain is a stong word, honestly all I know about the game is what is in the first trailer, which I absolutely hated to the point I was actually a little upset, but I don't feel like it will have enough impact to leave a stain, or even be terrible enough to be one.
Thing is SMTxFE is part of a larger pattern (and potentially a problem) for both SMT and FE franchises respectively. Both franchises have seen newer releases reduce the complexity of their game designs to different degrees, and both have seen newer titles that are more geared towards the casual fanbase, as well as the contemporary anime crowd. This has made it so Fire Emblem has created an increased emphasis on dating simulation elements, and Persona has become the defacto cash cow for Atlus with the gothic themes of the Mainline games getting watered down in the most recent iteration.

SMTxFE just stands as testament as to what both companies are valuing right now and it's close to the antithesis of what the earlier titles may have stood for. That may be a bold claim but at least for the Shin Megami Tensei series it's very true.

Reactions: Meow-Professor