• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Shin Megami Tensei (including Persona, Devil Summoner, Devil Survivor, and all that good stuff)

Yeah, the atmosphere is absolutely ridiculous.

I started playing the Shin Megami Tensei series with Persona 3 and 4. Those two games are my most favorite games of all time. I've never had more fun with a video game than when I was playing those two. I eat up absolutely anything Persona-related.

I tried playing Shin Megami Tensei 4, and I disliked it so strongly that I dropped it after a few hours. It was too hard for me. I kept dying over and over in the tutorial dungeon, and I kept failing to recruit demons. I got frustrated and upset, and I quit playing it.

Am I considered the lowest of bottom-dwelling scum by SMT fans?
Yes, you are.

Also I'm enjoying SMT IV so far. I don't like that you can save in the middle of the dungeons, but other then that the gameplay is still pretty satisfying.

I also love the atmosphere once you get to The Unclean Ones country.

Also I'm enjoying SMT IV so far. I don't like that you can save in the middle of the dungeons, but other then that the gameplay is still pretty satisfying.

I also love the atmosphere once you get to The Unclean Ones country.

Did you have any trouble with the bull?
I've seen so many topics of people having so much trouble with that boss to the point that it's a game ender for some.
I personally love the boss fights, the music is awesome and that feeling of pulling through a tough fight after previous defeats is great.

Did you have any trouble with the bull?
I've seen so many topics of people having so much trouble with that boss to the point that it's a game ender for some.
I personally love the boss fights, the music is awesome and that feeling of pulling through a tough fight after previous defeats is great.

He was the first boss to kill me a few times. After that I left, went up 1 level, and came back after refusing my team into a much more advantageous set up. It was still pretty close, but I just kept on casting evade up so as to make him miss his barrage attack and lose his turns.

Medusa wasn't nearly as hard.

The only problem I had with SMTIV was Smirk. An enemy getting a smirk led to game overs like 50% of the time.

Is Nocturne worth getting? I'm not sure if I want to reinvest in a PS2 and the game itself.

Definitely! The plot is intriguing and while the gameplay is hard, it's also pretty satisfying every time you defeat a boss. I also love how each ending is defined by a philosophy rather the series standard of Chaos/Law/Neutral.

Though if you aren't sold, I'd recommend Digital Devil Saga as well. It has a arge colorful cast with an engaging plot surrounding a mysterious place call Nirvana, surfacing identities and cannibalism. It's split into two games but they're relatively cheap now.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
Ok I stand corrected, but I think it's still pretty dark, what with the suicide guns and what not.

One game I'd LIKE To play but am scared by the difficulty is Nocturne.
I've heard SO many horror stories about that game's difficulty

I think I'm around the halfway point in Nocturne and aside from a few boss fights up to this point (including the most infamous one), it hasn't been soul crushingly hard - though still tough if you don't know what to do. I'll admit I keep a magatama guide to know what moves I can learn but that's the only outside help I get. Like in the other games fusing, getting new demons, and using different magatama can be your friends if you need to rethink your strategies.

And the Dante cameo is a mix between his DMC2 outfit and his personality from 1, so it's like the best of both worlds. His fight also gave me a bit of a tough time.

Jltjckm.png

Also Dante's in it.
But it's DMC 2 Dante.
Ewwww...
Don't worry. He acts more like how he was in DMC1, and is very good as a party member.

So I just got my 3ds fixed and i'm wondering if I should get SMT IV or soul hackers. I already have devil survivor overclocked and nowhere close has devil survivor 2.

nocturne is my favorite SMT game. my first blind playthrough was on hard and it was fun and so much death. It's funny how in hard mode escape pretty much never works, also getting attacked from behind is really nightmareish.

also i need to play more SMTIV but fire emblem has been distracting me from that X.X

I'm gonna take a shot in the dark and guess the most infamous fight is Matador?
Dude's picture is on the Atlus page for "That One Boss"

And I think I see?
Matador can be a real slap to the face. Sukukaja, null force and media are real handy if you got them. I definitely recommend fusing Uzume if you can too.

The most infamous fight in Megaten is the secret boss in Digital Devil Saga, in my opinion. It's been #1 on a lot of 'Most difficult RPG bosses list'.

So I just got my 3ds fixed and i'm wondering if I should get SMT IV or soul hackers. I already have devil survivor overclocked and nowhere close has devil survivor 2.

I'd recommend getting SMT IV! Soul Hackers has updated graphics/interface but for some, it hasn't aged as well as it could have. SMTIV is a blast and the graphics are lovely. And it only gets more fun when you're able to go to Tokyo.

Probably. Yeah.

Metatron? Lilith? Freukiegal? Screw that, let's just use Arahabaki and Pixie and Heat Riser you to oblivion.

On the bright side of the Persona OST shit going on...
At least these are still safe.

Is somebody crying wolf over the Persona stuff on YouTube?

Also, I think they're targeting mainline SMT stuff too, so watch out.

Is somebody crying wolf over the Persona stuff on YouTube?

Also, I think they're targeting mainline SMT stuff too, so watch out.
care to elaborate?

haven't found anything about it

Never played any of them Persona/SMT games. Which ones would you recommend to start off with? Persona 3? What about Persona 1+2?
Persona 3 & 4 are half highschool life simulation, half dungeon crawler.
Persona 1 & both parts of Persona 2 are more your traditional styled RPG in format. Unlike Persona 3 & 4, which are essentially self-contained stories, these three games are definitively a storyline trilogy. The most impact these games impact the latter entries in the series is they get a few non-plot important nods to in Persona 3.

What's going on with whoever's targeting the series now?

Some douchebag is basically copywrite striking all the videos due to some Russian Actress, I think

Russian actress? I don't think I understand this at all. What's the threat?

I started with P4, then P3 FES, and plan to play the first two Personas. I'm proud to say I'm a fan of the Persona series. Yes, I realize it's a spin off. Yes, I am aware of the original SMT. I'll watch Let's Plays of them eventually so I'm not completely ignorant of the story (I feel like finding and playing them will be like searching for diamonds). I personally dislike when people are like, "You're not a TRUE smt fan unless you've played ALL the games". So I didn't like Power Rangers when I was a kid because I didn't watch the sentai it originated from even though they are noticeably different? Get off.

#personafansickofbeingridiculed

Reactions: Jutsei
Russian actress? I don't think I understand this at all. What's the threat?

I started with P4, then P3 FES, and plan to play the first two Personas. I'm proud to say I'm a fan of the Persona series. Yes, I realize it's a spin off. Yes, I am aware of the original SMT. I'll watch Let's Plays of them eventually so I'm not completely ignorant of the story (I feel like finding and playing them will be like searching for diamonds). I personally dislike when people are like, "You're not a TRUE smt fan unless you've played ALL the games". So I didn't like Power Rangers when I was a kid because I didn't watch the sentai it originated from even though they are noticeably different? Get off.

Yeah same, I really enjoy Persona a lot more, the plots are really awesome and I personally love how P4A connected the two games together.

Yeah same, I really enjoy Persona a lot more, the plots are really awesome and I personally love how P4A connected the two games together.

I love how Yukiko just laughs at Akihiko's cape for her intro quote when they fight, haha. I still think her Instant Kill should have been her omelet:

*Activate Instant Kill*
Yukiko: Try mine next!
Opponent: You can't taste anything...
*FINISH. DING DING DING*

I haven't played P4A yet.
All I know is it ties the stories together nicely.

Also P4A's expansion with More P3 Stuff, apparently.
Can we get bishie as fuck Ken?

Oh, well I hope you can soon, they seam together P3 and P4 very well.

I'd really like Ken myself. Can't remember the last time I saw a spear user in a 2D fighter. That, and we would have another Hama/Mudo user outside of Naoto.

I personally dislike when people are like, "You're not a TRUE smt fan unless you've played ALL the games".

I usually see people complain about the SMT/Persona divide when Persona fans - or more likely trolls doing their thing - go onto SMT boards and basically ask why the game isn't Persona (3/4). To sum that up, some parts of this:

But I have seen the elitist attitude of some SMT players and that usually comes around when they respond to said trolls. As a fan of pretty much the whole series, I'm sitting in the corner clutching my collection of games and going "why can't we just enjoy what we want?".

I usually see people complain about the SMT/Persona divide when Persona fans - or more likely trolls doing their thing - go onto SMT boards and basically ask why the game isn't Persona (3/4). To sum that up, some parts of this:

But I have seen the elitist attitude of some SMT players and that usually comes around when they respond to said trolls. As a fan of pretty much the whole series, I'm sitting in the corner clutching my collection of games and going "why can't we just enjoy what we want?".

Yeah it really is a shame. I researched the SMT name as a whole so I'm aware that Shin Megami Tensei denonuces many titles besides Persona just so I have knowledge of it. Even went as far back to find a game under the "Megami Tensei" name.
It's good to know, but don't ridicule people for liking what they like. Just kindly remind them where Yu Senpai's roots come from without bashing them.

What's going on with whoever's targeting the series now?
There's some person that's been going around making false copyright claims on Persona and Shin Megami Tensei videos, and they all trace back to some Russian singer. My theory is that it's a hacker just abusing the copyright claim system.

Someone complained about SMT not having social links and calendar?

SERIOUSLY?!

Reactions: Jutsei