• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Encore Edition Tiers and Matchups Discussion Thread: The Revengeance

Does Eliza even have bad match-ups? She seems to win or go even in virtually ever MU of the game. Maybe Peacock?

Does Eliza even have bad match-ups? She seems to win or go even in virtually ever MU of the game. Maybe Peacock?
Doesn't Eliza have her Cr.HK to beat out Peacock's projectiles and Albus' grab?

This would lead to many time out losses against Valentine.

If my character has no way to pressure from afar, which IMO is the kind of match-up where Val really shines. If my character has any kind of ability to get things done from afar those time-out losses turn into wins. Val has to approach, putting her at some risk. Her normals are slow and her shuriken is bad, so she has to lean on assists. The ability to call assists from a good position and use them to cover her approach is actually a good component of Val's game, but the previously dominant assists have been nerfed. They are susceptible to counter-calls now.

Valentine doesn't even give up screen positioning, hell she pushes YOU back with assist use while maintaining this position of safety.

I could just as easily be counter-calling her assists, forcing her to take bigger risks and exploiting them. I could be holding my ground with assists and projectiles, positioning my head, setting up tears or any number of other things. It's neutral. Anything can happen.

If you get complacent at neutral thinking the Valentine is going to get impatient, you are probably leaving many holes open for the Val to exploit.

For tier list discussion it must always be assumed that players of equal skill are playing the characters competently, and the potential for playing badly/impatiently must simply be ignored.

Valentine can throw out hitboxes so safely from this position

What hitboxes? Her slow and predictable normals or her bad projectiles? Or do you mean assist hitboxes? I do think that Val does very well using movement to call assists at favorable positions. But the dominant assists have been nerfed and I don't see this as being a major advantage anymore.

Doesn't Eliza have her Cr.HK to beat out Peacock's projectiles and Albus' grab?

it's mostly only good against flowchart peacocks. smarter players can do a lot to limit your approach options. It's not a terrible matchup either way, but in my experience it's a little better for the peacock player.

Peacock vs Eliza seems better on paper than it does in real match. Even with the sweep, bang still beats upper kaht clean. Maybe doing sweep into sekmeht will work, but as of right now, I'm not having too much trouble with the match up.

Mannn can anyone beat valentine at neutral?

I can.

I can beat valentine at neutral.
SI2Zdx4.png

on topic: If we're talking about eliza, i think both PW and BB do pretty well vs her.
just because they can both counter her huge normals/sek with their hitgrabs (buers and A.train)

I found with PW there's a lot of trading at neutral with the big normals. But once Eliza is on you... she's on you for good. Usually it seems like it comes down to who confirms first.

buer vs. sek is a good idea. However overhead minion is kind of annoying to deal with so you can't use fly so liberally.

buer vs. sek is a good idea. However overhead minion is kind of annoying to deal with so you can't use fly so liberally.
charge j.hp>mk.buer works well against this
Edit: i would like to remind people that j.mBuer>thresher now works vs the entire cast, so you can confirm off of it pretty easily

I found with PW there's a lot of trading at neutral with the big normals. But once Eliza is on you... she's on you for good. Usually it seems like it comes down to who confirms first.
st.mp works pretty well vs her since she doesn't have a multihit air normal, and you can use buer from armor if she decides to summon sek

Last edited:
Overall Character Strength Ranking Poll

I would like to have a community poll to see how people think how strong each character is.

Please note that "Best" and "worst" are relative terms. Just because a character is the worst in the game doesn't mean he is a bad character. There is no "S-tier" or "F-Tier" in this, just what character is better than the other.

Each link below leads to a strawpoll vote (because there's no way to rank your votes using the forum's vote option).
You can rank any combination of characters to be equal, greater, or worse strength than the other, so if you think everyone is the best, or that no one is better than the other, you can do that, or you can put who you think ties for a certain rank.

Please vote here.

Last edited:
Robo fortune isn't complete, I think this is premature.

So far this is looking worse than eventhubs level tier placement

surely there is a way to do this in one poll

If there is a web poll site that lets you rank using numbers, I would gladly use it instead of having to spread this across multiple polls.

I am going to consolidate the data from the strawpolls to make it easier to read.

there are definitely better ways to do this I think survey monkey has a drag and drop order feature.

there are definitely better ways to do this I think survey monkey has a drag and drop order feature.
I think they make you sign up, though, and it didn't give the impression that they had rank votes when I first saw it.

I found something to use that I was gonna post, but ok.

How do I view the results?

Also, this doesn't let you make ties.

Let me see if mine will work.

OK, I like yours better simply because you can hit "N/A" and omit an option.
Mine doesn't let you make ties either, so w/e.

I still need to see the results, so I'll have to make my own.

no ties. may as well just use google forms and have people send you their tier list idea in text

I don't want to have to sift through tier lists manually and input the data. A poll is easier.

you dont need ties it's not like its going to be ultra accurate it's just a general consensus.

Yeah, I know. I just wanted to give people that freedom if i could. Please use the link in my sig to vote.

hope that worked.

I can work with surveymonkey, ignore the strawpoll now.

So is this about "As a point character with two good assists" or "1v1" or "All things kinda thrown together"?
I voted for the last one, but no idea if that hits the intention

It's kinda silly that nobody else can view the results of that thing

This is all also kinda pointless isn't it.. literally zero arguments etc

Last edited:
It's pretty much "all things considered" like you thought.

You're right, though. Here are the current results.

I'll post results weekly.

This is the current ranking based on the poll (16 votes):
  1. Peacock
  2. Eliza
  3. Cerebella
  4. Filia
  5. Valentine
  6. Parasoul
  7. Fukua
  8. Ms. Fortune
  9. Beowulf
  10. Painwheel
  11. Big Band
  12. Squigly
  13. Robo-Fortune
  14. Double

Last edited:
This thread is rather unnecessary. Trio Val with mediocre assists is a completely different beast than Solo Val or duo Val with one really good assist, etc etc.

In order to be a true and exhaustive tier list you'd have to list every possible combination. Also who really cares about tiers?

In order to be a true and exhaustive tier list you'd have to list every possible combination. Also who really cares about tiers?

Everybody else that doesn't think about the matchups instead and like some surface level easy to read misrepresentation of how much potential and strength every character has, despite any particular weaknesses they or common playstyles with them have

I don't think the thread is unnecessary per se, but tier lists in regards to Skullgirls, is terrible, and that's what I'm reading lmfao

Last edited:
I tried the whole "1v1" route before with a matchup chart, but that really doesn't work because everyone naturally thinks in terms of what that character's best setup would be on point with assists, so I made the poll expecting people to consider all aspects of the character and gauge how strong they think each character is.

This poll isn't supposed to be some crazy in-depth analysis with top level players behind back doors, etc. (see Smash Back Room), it's supposed to be something fun. Obviously Mr. Joe Bloe Random is going to have a skewed idea of what the tiers are and we shouldn't listen to him, but this is a popular vote.

I think it would be interesting to see what the general consensus of character strength is within the community.

If you don't care about tiers, you don't have to talk about it, but someone somewhere is going to talk about it regardless.

Double is amazing she has crazy incoming shenanigans.

I updated the poll so that you can go back and change your answer if you want.

Also, I want to thank @Grangach and @herbvijkl for helping find a survey site to use.
This thing is pretty neat.

Last edited:
Aren't the 3 best anchors considered Bella, Double, and Big Band (or at least the most popular). You also have to consider these characters' Meter/benefit and their abilities while solo when discussing their ability as an anchor. Double with meter has better neutral than the others, whereas Bella and Big Band have better punishes with their meter. However, if in the situation where each of these characters are solo, Bella and Big Band have comparatively better time handling pressure than double.

IMO*

Solo and anchor are similar, but anchor will have more meter to work with than Solo and they both have different circumstances to deal with when they come in (solos dealing with round start vs anchors getting mixed up on incoming).

I would say solo Double is worse than anchor Double simply because she starts off with less meter to work with, even though she starts off with a better position as solo.

However, I think bella and Big Band are not as reliant on their meter than Double is.

Reactions: LuxadeSwag