• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Lore Speculation

something interesting I was thinking about in relation to Beowulf:
Grendel's arm, despite not being attached to its owner for presumably years, seems very sturdy to be used as his normals and showing no sign of wear or disintegration. Do Gigan corpses decay at a super decreased rate?

He could've just preserved the arm in some way.

Reactions: FunkyHellboy
It sounds to me like your gut is a poor hiding place, when your opponent is known for chopping people up. That's like, the most reckless place ever. There's no way Vitale intended that.
I can't imagine any other reason why someone would swallow gems, especially if they know nothing of their properties. I'm pretty sure Black Dahlia dismembering them was more out of revenge than an attempt at a cavity search and thus made no attempt at it. I think this was Vitale's best bet at securely hiding the Life Gem. It reviving Ms. Fortune (through complete dismemberment, no less. I don't even think Wolverine could survive dismemberment.) was completely and reasonably unexpected.

No, my point is that Vitale wouldn't have let Ms. Fortune swallow it, specifically because he couldn't have known exactly what Dahlia would do to her. What if she had brought Fortune back to Lorenzo for interrogation? What if she had decided to chop her in a different way, and the Gem came tumbling out? The fact that Fortune did swallow it and that Dahlia thought she had killed her shows that neither Vitale nor anybody else planned the way things went.

Hmm, you have a point. I'm still 100% convinced the theft of the Life Gem was of Vitale's machinations, because he stood to gain the most from it. Hell, even if he just lost the Life Gem completely, he would still become head of the Medici. But now, I'm not sure what Vitale's plan for hiding the Life Gem was. Perhaps his old man outmanuevered him and Black Dahlia finding the Fishbone Gang wasn't a part of Vitale's plan in the first place?

I don't think the Skullheart was localized in just the Canopy Kingdom, Parasoul's mother was apparently 'far away' so Squigly couldn't of been brought back soo...
I think it was said that she was based in Canopolis, so Squigly, who was buried in New Meridian, wasn't revived. I think there is some considerable distance between the two cities.

Although as we know, Skullgirl Queen Nancy caused the three warring factions to come together to defeat her, so her devastation was likely not limited to the Canopy Kingdom, but the other 2 kingdoms as well.

Reactions: Denizen
This theory is in its infancy and if you have any criticisms or things to add tell me please
Also: by "All" The Skullgirls I mean the ones we know of Squigly's Mom, Parasoul's Mom, and Marie
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This theory is that Double (Queen Lamia), as the person who chooses the bearer of the Skullheart, always plans to have the Skullgirls have something to do with the Canopy Kingdom.

This can be taken 2 ways. One is that Double (Queen Lamia) is trying to help the Kingdom by finding a person with a wish that could help the kingdom where her's once stood.
Secondly Double (Queen Lamia) could be trying to hurt the Kingdom that took after her's and finds people from the Kingdom or want to do something with it and give them the Heart, knowing they will be corrupted.

So what do you think yes or no?
ps: I'm gonna be making a video on this theory so please help me with ironing out the kinks if you want to!

I believe lamia is the shadowy skullheart figure that helps out marie.

I only say this because the name of the sprite for the spooky shadowy thing is called lamia.

Edit: That being said, there's a lot of things that are named the things they aren't, like final atrium being called fallingwreckage and glass canopy being called atrium and whatnot.

Doesn't really prove much though because things could have changed since the thing was named.

Last edited:
Is Ms. Victoria a Feral or something? Does she has to hide her race to keep her job? But don't ferals go to her school?

That aside, exactly how involved is Double usually in the affairs of the Skullgirl? With Marie, she's acting directly and interacting with the Skullgirl herself, which seems unusual given her main skillset of being a mimic subservient to the Skullheart/Gods itself. In the past she seemed more covert, what with the gift of the Skullheart to the Contellios and what not. I'm also pretty certain that making Queen Nancy a Skullgirl was of Double's doing. It just seems to me that Double doesn't interact face to face with the Skullgirls that often.

I have no evidence for that assertion except perhaps a desire to keep the Skullheart lair a secret. Has the Skullheart lair always been in the same place? Or was the Trinity church just the most recent location? Judging from Eliza's reaction and subsequent power up, is this a major storage of power from the Skullheart? Or does the Skullgirl herself make her own lair? Marie doesn't seem that connected to the Church, but perhaps it's just a convenient location? Or was it already there? Are there other places like this around the world? Are Skullgirls supported by the forces of the Skullheart as well as Marie is?

While I'm fairly certain each Skullgirl has their own particularities, and I'm basing this on little evidence and my gut, I'm thinking Marie is special and required special treatment, even bypassing the usual individual cases each Skullgirl poses. I'm thinking that Marie's powerful willpower made it difficult for to provoke a rampage out of her, opting instead for focused murders against the Medici. Double had to intervene directly. If there really is one and only one lair for the Skullheart, and if the forces of the Skullheart rarely help the Skullgirl herself beyond the initial wish, then having to allow Marie access to the lair itself is a sign that either Marie is so difficult, a risk like that had to be taken or the lair has now become disposable because the Skullheart's plans are near fruition...

Double is taking a risk in exposing herself, as it seems that most people do not know of her...it's...? existence, which is clearly beneficial. Revealing that a shapeshifter is directly driving the Skullheart's agenda would make future manipulations much more difficult. Again, I'm not sure if the Skullheart lair is even special or even an intentional effect, but Double's actions were made because of the difficultly of the Skullgirl or a sign the Skullheart agenda is reaching endgame.

Marie was chosen to become the next Skullgirl, this was no accident. But why chose someone with the willpower to resist the Skullheart's corruption? Perhaps it was a necessary drawback or even a benefit to select someone with more concrete goals than 'Save my family' or 'World Peace'. In fact, the goal of destroying the Medici may, in fact, be exactly what the Skullheart wants?

I raised the point that the Medici are likely in charge of the post-Skullgirl relief, so destroying them would make the inevitable rampage all the more potent. It seems that the Skullheart has been particularly more prolific lately. From possessing a famed family of Opera singers, to THE QUEEN OF AN NATION, it looks like the Skullheart is trying to break the public's will. And even with the possession of a queen, the public still managed to get by, probably because of the Medici. Disgusting as it sounds, the public relies on the Medici as some sort of order in these times of chaos, especially now that faith in the Canopy royalty has been deeply shaken. So if you had a Skullgirl whose wants to kill the Medici full stop, then wouldn't the last bit of stability society has, amoral and vice ridden it may be, just collapse?

Yes, I'm fairly certain that the Skullheart possessed Queen Nancy as a setup to put the Medici on top of the world, just before cutting them down. In fact, I'm pretty sure the Skullheart even helped build their empire just so it can tear it all down onto the world's head. Force the Canopy Kingdom to embrace underworld scum, the Medici, just to destroy them anyways is a one two punch that would give the Grinch the giggles.

To answer a few of these, using the info we have, Marie was never chosen, she willingly seeked out the skullheart to get revenge, the trinity couldn't account for Marie's ability to withstand its effects. Double will always have a hand in where the skullheart goes being her only purpose is to spread the skullheart from one host to the next.

Double's existence is hard for people to understand as Double is not her monstrous form (which also isn't her real form) and can and will be anything and anyone to get where she needs to be.

I would say that Gehenna(the blood pit) is a storage for a future empire built on the blood of the skullgirl victims

It just seems to me that Double doesn't interact face to face with the Skullgirls that often.

We've seen very little of the previous Skullgirl rampages so far. I could see Double sneaking in a meeting with them along the line, myself.

Are there other places like this around the world?

This is what I want to know.

From possessing a famed family of Opera singers, to THE QUEEN OF AN NATION, it looks like the Skullheart is trying to break the public's will. And even with the possession of a queen, the public still managed to get by, probably because of the Medici. Disgusting as it sounds, the public relies on the Medici as some sort of order in these times of chaos, especially now that faith in the Canopy royalty has been deeply shaken.

Maybe I'm off topic, but I think the Renoir family might be less popular than they seem. Leviathan doesn't trust the king, and he seems very level-headed.

I don't even think Wolverine could survive dismemberment.

Depends on the writer, but generally you can't dismember wolverine because adamantium infused bones.

I thought he had the adamantium removed?

I thought he had the adamantium removed?
He lost it in the 90's, got it back, but recently he lost his healing factor and died. (probably be back in 16 months)

In the old days he could be seriously hurt by a well placed mortal wound, but in the late 90s and especially in the 2000's they increased it steadily. It peaked in an infamous issue around Civil War where an explosive mutant blasted him down to a skeleton, but he was up and about before he could even leave. The thing that killed him in the oooooooooold Days of Future Past story and 90's cartoon, was just that--he got blasted and there was nothing left to heal.

*Random nerd knowledge moment*

While reevaluating my semi-proven headcanon that the Trinity were not as all powerful as they seem (Or at the very least, sup up'd mortals with god like power), I am starting to think that the Skullheart and Skullgirl are really an attempt to basically slowly starve Eliza....

Alright all, I got a question regarding Beowulf.

We've all seen the stage. It's called the NMO Arena. Any wrestling fan worth their salt will recognize the reference in that title: the New World Order. Presumably the M in the Skullgirls canon stands for Meridian.

Here's the thing though. nWo was a stable. A stable in wrestling jargon means a whole group of wrestlers. Furthermore it was famous for being a heel, or "bad guy", stable. My big question is what were the members in NMO? Were they a stable that Grendel belonged to? Was it actually a face stable that Beowulf was a part of? If so, who were the other members?

I'm probably putting too much thought into a side character but I gotta know

Well almost every character has had characters unique to their story appear in their story mode, save for Big Band who shares his with Peacock and Ms. Fortune (although they explore them more and we got to hear Stanley and Ileum for the first time.) Actually I'm starting to get curious if we'll see some unique characters come along in Beo's story... Squigly had Leviathin and Filia, Big Band had Peacock and Eliza had her entourage and Cerebella. Whose gonna hang with the Wulf? I'd guess Cerebella but she was just playable in Eliza's story... I'm kinda hoping it'll be her, being a huge Cerebella fan.
What I am trying to say is, I feel Grendel will have SOME role in Beowulf's story. I mean both Squigly and Big Band had origin story flashbacks explaining their abilities and seeing how Beo uses that arm I reckon we'll at least see him introduce it. As far as New Meridian Order, I suppose it is quite possible we'll see a band of wrestlers akin to the Cirque de Cartes or Last Hope, in an image or two.
Stating the obvious here: But I assume Beowulf is a face and Grendel is a heel... but it'd be a rad subversion if their roles were reversed. Grendel was some sweetheart mommy's boy and Beowulf is a violent heel, would explain why tough as nails bruisers like Andy and Cerebella like him.

Well almost every character has had characters unique to their story appear in their story mode, save for Big Band who shares his with Peacock and Ms. Fortune (although they explore them more and we got to hear Stanley and Ileum for the first time.) Actually I'm starting to get curious if we'll see some unique characters come along in Beo's story... Squigly had Leviathin and Filia, Big Band had Peacock and Eliza had her entourage and Cerebella. Whose gonna hang with the Wulf? I'd guess Cerebella but she was just playable in Eliza's story... I'm kinda hoping it'll be her, being a huge Cerebella fan.
What I am trying to say is, I feel Grendel will have SOME role in Beowulf's story. I mean both Squigly and Big Band had origin story flashbacks explaining their abilities and seeing how Beo uses that arm I reckon we'll at least see him introduce it. As far as New Meridian Order, I suppose it is quite possible we'll see a band of wrestlers akin to the Cirque de Cartes or Last Hope, in an image or two.
Stating the obvious here: But I assume Beowulf is a face and Grendel is a heel... but it'd be a rad subversion if their roles were reversed. Grendel was some sweetheart mommy's boy and Beowulf is a violent heel, would explain why tough as nails bruisers like Andy and Cerebella like him.
Beowuld unique character is Valentine

Beowulf is an unimportant background character.
Well yeah, but I imagine his role has been beefed up just a little bit. His story mode is probably going to have more to it than Fukua's or Robo-Fortune's.
We'll have to wait and see. Personally I was impressed with Big band's story, and he's technically just part of Peacock's supporting cast.
My expectations for Beo are lower than Squigly, Big Band and Eliza of course.

If only we could have joke stories. I sorta want to see a joke Beowulf story where he wrestles against all the rest of the cast, but the rest of the cast are like completely different people who have wrestling personalities. Put in some drama too, like he has a fiance or something who you tag team people with the whole story but then she ends up leaving you at the alter for your biggest rival (that particular plot would be best saved for Feng, with Feng leaving you for Cerebella) and you guys all duke it out at MeridianMania XXVII.

Both Fukua and Robofortune will have joke stories. I'd say that's enough. I hope for Beowulf to be so rich of lore material just so I can smash it all over skullfans faces

I mean, not to replace his real story, but I wish we could have a couple stories per character like BlazBlue. Like Ragna's frigging Eros Glasses ending for no reason.

See the thing is
Thinking outside the ring is kinda detrimental to Wulf
Not even he knows what he is doing outside the ring in the story

He's just butthurt that his loli waifu isn't playable.

Nah Umbrella's non inclusion didn't really bother anyone too much
People were actually enjoying art of her being salty over not being included (me tooooo)

Not gonna lie, sure I wanted mah Dagonian Server-Fu but eh life Skullgirls goes on

Last edited:
Nah Umbrella's non inclusion didn't really bother anyone too much
He was referring to Annie. FakeAngel has an Annie avatar

Reactions: Denizen
Oh pardon moi

I like to read people's theories. I ain't good coming up with 'hem myself so I just lurk. Keep it up yo

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
Here's the thing though. nWo was a stable. A stable in wrestling jargon means a whole group of wrestlers. Furthermore it was famous for being a heel, or "bad guy", stable. My big question is what were the members in NMO? Were they a stable that Grendel belonged to? Was it actually a face stable that Beowulf was a part of? If so, who were the other members?

9j35gy.png

I don't think its too much to think of Beowulf's other performers.

Remember how much story there is for Cerebella's co-workers at the circus.
I hope for Beowulf to be so rich of lore material just so I can smash it all over skullfans faces
I'd hope that his history with Gigans lets his story shed some light on them. Maybe even another Scythana cameo?

I'd hope that his history with Gigans lets his story shed some light on them. Maybe even another Scythana cameo?

Scythana cameo

I like that
Let's do that

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss