• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Today's Patch Notes BGM™ is Mozart's Piano Concerto No. 5 in D Major (K 175):

An uncredited (sorry!) remix of K 175 was the BGM for the first MvC2 combo video I ever made, so in atonement I'd like to introduce people to a real orchestral performance of this wonderful piece. :^)

General
- Counterhit heart now appears on counterhit throws and hit-grabs, as well as on regular hits.

Beowulf
- Added visual effect on Gigantic Arm, thanks render!
- Added chair to more things, thanks Brian! Yes, I know the chair is messed up when he gets thrown, it'll be fixed.
Eliza
- Sekhmet now attacks if you press LP+LK on the same frame, meaning Sekhmet must now tech throws purely after being grabbed. Thanks [redacted] for mentioning she didn't attack like that before.
- Dive of Horus as an assist now is displayed behind the point characters instead of in front of them. Thanks negus_eyoel.
- Dive of Horus returned to normal knockdown, but if Eliza is hit Horace goes into hitstun immediately. We'll try this instead.
- Sekhmet axe (j.M/s.H) -1f blockstun. Not sure this will even accomplish anything since she can still space it to be unthrowable...
Fukua
- Fireballs return sooner after going offscreen, instead of having to still bounce twice before ending. Thanks MegamanDS, Top 300 Fukua Player etc.
- H Drillationship is now +0 on hit instead of -3. Still doesn't combo into Best Friends Forever. Thanks DreamEpitaph for being right and me for being wrong!
Painwheel
- Returned fly height limit above opponent to normal because I forgot to do that after the MvC2 superjump tests, thanks vierful!
- Ground fly cancels (from Buer or Stinger) now have a 2f kara-cancel period to Hatred Install like regular ground fly, for help with the new motion of Install. Thanks Stuff!
http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/195113962380559694

Last edited:
Spacing Axe to be unthrowable sure, just the ones that are punishable and only by 2 frames are annoying.

The annoying part about Sekhmet is that if you don't deal with him then you spend the next few seconds just doing the up back game...

I am not fond of the low/high/counter hit indicators, I feel there are...too much.
If they are here to stay, just gonna say CH indicator shouldn't appear when you hit armor without breaking it.
I like the high/low indicators. If they make it in, they probably should be mentioned in the tutorial.

I am also of the opinion that the current red blink is fine for regular counter hits and the broken heart should be reserved for counter hit throws.

Was there a tutorial on counter hits? I never knew that I was doing them before the icon in last night's update. Apparently, Marie's projectiles leave Deflector 'Bella heartbroken.

I knew Mike would notice the Horace's dive assist greatness.. those were the days.. until it's inevitable nerfing.

The end of bird insurance for now! I was always annoyed whenever I got in on Eliza but if she had summoned horus, I'd get hit and Eliza could easily followup with a combo. Of course, this probably speaks more about my skill than the actual move itself...

The end of bird insurance for now! I was always annoyed whenever I got in on Eliza but if she had summoned horus, I'd get hit and Eliza could easily followup with a combo. Of course, this probably speaks more about my skill than the actual move itself...

Hey, if it makes you feel any better, I rarely use Sekhmet and everybody else is complaining how broken she is...

These indicator fluff reminds me of what arc sys games typically do to an extent so this is a nice thing for a spectator to understand what the hell happened better.

- Returned fly height limit above opponent to normal because I forgot to do that after the MvC2 superjump tests, thanks vierful!
ffC4iTD.jpg

Ayyyy fireballs return faster if they miss from fullscreen. I haven't tried it yet but I hope its fast enough~
I also haven't tried new L bomber stuff, because I don't really play double anymore, but I'll check it out later tonight.

I messed around with the new bomber in training mode, it seems a lot easier to convert off if it hits, but I need to try it in a real match to really get a feel for it.

wait I'm unfamiliar with the double fix can someone fill me in on the change please?

Also:
why does my BFF now get punished by an already started dynamo is this a glitch or was this intentional?

wait I'm unfamiliar with the double fix can someone fill me in on the change please?

Also:
why does my BFF now get punished by an already started dynamo is this a glitch or was this intentional?
PBGC or on reaction?

nope i just dynamo'd first and bff lost apparently
I still have no idea why this happened it was a read I swear ;-;
And it didn't really lose it kind of just went right trough it for some unknown reason

I still have no idea why this happened it was a read I swear ;-;
And it didn't really lose it kind of just went right trough it for some unknown reason
pick an actual good character like filia bruh

@Mike_Z i like the super jump sounds now. it doesn't stick out and blends well with the game.

I'm kinda hoping the indicators aren't final 'cause they look kinda ugly to me. Might just be that I'm just not used to seeing them.

Also could the opponent still flash red on CH? I can see the red flash more than I do a heart. then again I'd probably see the heart if I looked at more than just the bottom half of the screen.

Oh and since indicator work is being done is there any chance of the assist indicators being worked on? I have the biggest trouble seeing the green and red lights because it's so small maybe have the assist portrait flash or something? Really anything that's more visible than two tiny dots would be greatly appreciated. (I don't know why I can't see them either.)

The new L bomber is a lot easier for my team to convert off of so I like it.

I'm kinda hoping the indicators aren't final 'cause they look kinda ugly to me. Might just be that I'm just not used to seeing them.

Also could the opponent still flash red on CH? I can see the red flash more than I do a heart. then again I'd probably see the heart if I looked at more than just the bottom half of the screen.

Oh and since indicator work is being done is there any chance of the assist indicators being worked on? I have the biggest trouble seeing the green and red lights because it's so small maybe have the assist portrait flash or something? Really anything that's more visible than two tiny dots would be greatly appreciated. (I don't know why I can't see them either.)

Unless it was changed since I last played they still flash red on ch regardless of the broken heart icon

I like the red flash. I also like the new notifiers, and I know this isn't what the notifiers are for, but when I'm playing netplay and I get a rollback it makes it way more distracting when the icons pop up and then it turns out that they weren't hit.

I like the high/low notifiers and I think they fit the game really well, but I prefer the flash for counterhits.

Also Eliza is the only character that I do not enjoy playing against in skullgirls.

Reactions: Cadenza
I installed and played the beta today and I'm just 'meh' about the hit indicator visuals but I guess they add a nice touch. The health, all right, I guess, that just means I'll want to be more aggressive. However, there's something I wanna mention about the beta, I couldn't get a full Arcade Run finished because my game crashed when I went to fight Beowulf/Fukua/Big Band so I don't know about all the updates and couldn't experience them all. Crashes is something Skullgirls never does for me so I thought I should point that out.

Unless it was changed since I last played they still flash red on ch regardless of the broken heart icon

I'm worried that two indicators might be redundant and one of them will go away.

I like the heart because currently it's the only thing that lets me know if I got a counter hit ground throw with BB at neutral. I want to look at my combos and not have to glance at when the green bar starts to fill up to know that. Red flash has been good for everything else.

@Stuff
I saw what you did there.

Reactions: ClarenceMage
Low and High indicators are godlike.
Broken heart doesn't make very much sense to me though.
I got hit out my start up frames so my heart is broken?

I don't care if it stays though I think all these indicators only give more information to players and spectators.
But yeah the high and low ones are really pretty.

Reactions: Midiman
Spacing Axe to be unthrowable sure, just the ones that are punishable and only by 2 frames are annoying.

The annoying part about Sekhmet is that if you don't deal with him then you spend the next few seconds just doing the up back game...
I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't mind doing "the up back game" against sekhmet. All that ends up happening is Eliza lost like a bar of meter for nothing.

The indicators are a bit confusing, I liked it more when the broken heart was an overhead and the exclamation was a low. Somehow it just makes "more sense" that your heart gets broken if you don't block high. :P

Also I love the red flash on counter-hit, and I will be crushed if it disappears because of the broken heart.

We need someone screaming Counter when you do an HCH like the one that Poccola puts on his videos.

The indicators are a bit confusing, I liked it more when the broken heart was an overhead and the exclamation was a low. Somehow it just makes "more sense" that your heart gets broken if you don't block high. :P

Also I love the red flash on counter-hit, and I will be crushed if it disappears because of the broken heart.

If we're giving weird arbitrary critique, I'd say that the broken heart fits better as counterhit since you tried to do something but it was beaten, ergo sad. Getting mixed up = surprise, hence ?! and ??!.

If we're giving weird arbitrary critique, I'd say that the broken heart fits better as counterhit since you tried to do something but it was beaten, ergo sad. Getting mixed up = surprise, hence ?! and ??!.
this

Can anyone actually see/select the empty version of New Meridian? I can't!

imo keep overhead/low indicators and get rid of the broken heart completely because we already have the red flash for CH

I feel like I'm the only person that doesn't mind doing "the up back game" against sekhmet. All that ends up happening is Eliza lost like a bar of meter for nothing.
If she has 2+ meter due to being anchor she doesn't have much to lose, can push you into a corner and possibly convert into a combo I think.

I like that the guy in the back has this "I've seen enough La Blue Girl to see where this is going" look on his face when pointing. Okay, slightly projecting with that one but still...lol

I always knew Ben was into some weird shit.

I like all the new indicators and wish they stay in in some form. I would just like them to be brighter/abit more noticeable at a glance (but also maybe a bit smaller to compensate for garishness)

1. It just looks better.
2. More noticeable is the objective right?
3. Brighter huds tend to give a more polished feel to any game, whereas lack of brightness tends to feel more "beta" ish/unfinished/low budget/an afterthought.

I dont know what the indicators mean though, besides the heart.

They seem hard to distinguish in game. It seems like a more simplistic convention should be used such as

One exclamation point for blocking high incorrectly and getting hit low, two exclamation points for blocking low and getting hit b a high... Or vice versa.

But making it 3 numerals with a question mark thrown in means my brain has to read a code in a small time and it can be very confusing. I think having only 2 symbols and having be the same with the designation being 2 symbols or 1 symbol, is very intuitive and seeks to convey info in the easiest to read format.

Imo

What if the no-wallbounce on 1vNot-1 was a sliding knockdown that sends them fullscreen to make it act more like an actual snap on a team?

Can we make Valentine's tag-in always wallbounce? She's mostly played point anyway, so I don't see why not.

I'm serious here.

Last edited:
Reactions: cloudKing211