• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Well, painwheel have suffered enough, let her speak some word without being overly raging!

Reactions: Dolphin-Dude
are all throws regulated by universal damage or do some characters get more damage off their throws?
Different characters' throws deal different damage (e.g. Valentine's throw does 800, Big Band's throw does 1200), but they all scale your follow-up combo to 50%.

If it's said to Beowulf/Robo Fortune, they probably aren't finished.

Looking at all those repeated intros really makes me hope lab zero finds the time to add more intros/win poses in for the characters who one have one of each (using existing sprites of course)

especially if they take some inspiration from CvS2. or mugen characters.

Man I just feel Peacocks Lenny should have slight startup (similar to Elizas air super) so if she goes to do it, she gets hit with no super.

What's the word on Sekhem Lunge? Kinda feels awkward having to commit to some other Sekhmet summon before being able to use it, I wouldn't mind trying something like Lunge getting its own turn command or being able to chain from Khopesh.

For the record, I'm only saying the audio sounds off and that there might have been an issue with the way the audio files were put in game, which is a bug/technical issue. I'm not saying I don't like the lines. The lines are great, the voice actors did a wonderful job, and it's ridiculous to think the lines need to be re-recorded because Painwheel doesn't sound "mad" enough or whatever, which is what some people seem to be insinuating. We're not voice actors or casting directors, it isn't our job to point that stuff out (and we shouldn't be), and it's rude when we do.

It seems like when I said "the audio sounds too low" a bunch of people jumped on that comment and pointed out they didn't like the WAY the lines were recorded which is ridiculous and I wanted to distant my comment from those ones.

Reactions: Mr. X
What's the word on Sekhem Lunge? Kinda feels awkward having to commit to some other Sekhmet summon before being able to use it, I wouldn't mind trying something like Lunge getting its own turn command or being able to chain from Khopesh.
I have no idea what any of this means

Sekhem Lunge?
Feels awkward having to commit to .. what?
Before being able to use .. what?
Turn command?
Khopesh?

---

E: Okay, dragonos translated this for me in a way that it's roughly understandable.
The way I understand the request is:
"I want a way to use the Sekhmet Low Attack while in Eliza form (currently one can only do L/M/H, not 2L - have to become Sekhmet first to do the Low)"
I still have no idea what Khopesh is, but it's a start.

Answer: No.

---

E2: I like the "I wouldn't mind getting an orgasmic buff on one of my mains" sentence, it sounds quite funny

Last edited:
Sekhmet's single low. They're basically saying they feel the risk of bringing Sekhmet out is too much commitment to even think about going for high/lows after.

For the record, I'm only saying the audio sounds off and that there might have been an issue with the way the audio files were put in game, which is a bug/technical issue. I'm not saying I don't like the lines. The lines are great, the voice actors did a wonderful job, and it's ridiculous to think the lines need to be re-recorded because Painwheel doesn't sound "mad" enough or whatever, which is what some people seem to be insinuating. We're not voice actors or casting directors, it isn't our job to point that stuff out (and we shouldn't be), and it's rude when we do.
My comment was more along the lines of being somewhat comedic. I'm sure something can be done to make the lines match with the previous voices better which is why I'm not really stressing over it and Lab Zero probably already knows about this. That being said I do agree that the VAs did an amazing job and I'm grateful we even get new lines.

*gives the automatic nope to the term "They're basically saying they feel the risk of bringing Sekhmet out is too much commitment to even think about going for high/lows after."* people space the axe and still remain safe (thank the greatest hitbox given to da axe!)

why on earth are you eliza players saying "too much commitment"? this is legitimate question and i want to know exactly why? the usual points might be brought up but the same token you guys don't get hit into stagger soooo?

Edit: by stagger i meant sekhmet doesn't flinch.

Reactions: zarkingphoton
so when eliza does j.lk and you block j.lk but she does j.hp and that seems to cross up unless you pushblock j.lk which means she stays in? i'm not sure if its just me but i dunno. someone clarify.

Reactions: Dime
so when eliza does j.lk and you block j.lk but she does j.hp and that seems to cross up unless you pushblock j.lk which means she stays in? i'm not sure if its just me but i dunno. someone clarify.

I'm not sure what your problem with this is? Any airdash character can do stuff like that except maybe Peacock cause she doesn't have very good airdash crossups.

I'm not sure what your problem with this is? Any airdash character can do stuff like that except maybe Peacock cause she doesn't have very good airdash crossups.

give me at list of characters that do so?

or maybe you're misunderstanding. oh well carry on then don't mind me i was just asking something which is why i said CLARIFY.
Edit: clarify as to whether its true if it crosses up or not.
Edit2: the j.lk doesn't cross up but j.hp just happens to go to the other side conveniently. that's what i meant by having to pushblock to avoid this problem but presents major frame adv to eliza.

So many complaints about Sekhmet, and I always forget to use her...

The lines are great, the voice actors did a wonderful job, and it's ridiculous to think the lines need to be re-recorded because Painwheel doesn't sound "mad" enough or whatever, which is what some people seem to be insinuating. We're not voice actors or casting directors, it isn't our job to point that stuff out (and we shouldn't be), and it's rude when we do.
Lel ok, sorry guys we aren't voice directors so we can't comment on the quality (or accuracy rather) of the characters. With that said...

I can't comment on the quality of this acting, since not an voice director or something. Sorry but fact is Painwheel does sound off and Furtune is extremely hard to hear in game (which may be an issue with the game rather than the recording) and I am not saying that to be rude, just stating a fact.

give me at list of characters that do so?

or maybe you're misunderstanding. oh well carry on then don't mind me i was just asking something which is why i said CLARIFY.
Edit: clarify as to whether its true if it crosses up or not.
Edit2: the j.lk doesn't cross up but j.hp just happens to go to the other side conveniently. that's what i meant by having to pushblock to avoid this problem but presents major frame adv to eliza.

Some people lack basic reading comprehension and/or ability to understand what others are saying.
That and the ability to logically think ahead. I have no idea why this happens so often but it seems to have a bigger than normal occurrence rate on SH.

Having said that, yeah that crosses up some characters and (one) of the defenses is to pushblock the j.lk so that the crossup doesnt happen.

I dont know of any other character that can do this with an instant overhead starter, so you make a good point here. Whether its to good or bad or whatever is something else entirely.

The only other character that i know of that has a somewhat reasonable facsimile is retail filia j.hk xx airdash crossup j.hk.

I know of no other characters that have instant overheads chainable into crossups, but hey thats eliza. No other character has flight cancels besides painwheel either :)

As far as your assertion that you have to give eliza massive frame advantage by defending against that pattern by pushblocking the j.lk... Have you considered:

1. not pushblocking the j.lk and instead just crossup blocking the j.hp?
2. If you do pushblock the j.lk, the j.hp now coming out and having massive frame advantage to work with is an illusion on this game, you still have pbgc to reversal the eliza player as they land and try to go for another attack/mixup.
3. Referring back to #1 you can omit the j.lk pushblock and pushblock the j.hp instead which should relieve some of the pressure.

Im not in any way saying you dont make a good point though.

Things
To answer and further continue the conversation.

1. yes, but i think some eliza players know how to make it uncrossup with timing, i THINK they do because some have set up just doing the usual j.lk(blocked) and then j.hp(the crossup) once i block that they tailor their timing and at some point i had decide which way to block. Wrong or right i had to commit if i wanted to try this method its a bit tricky.
2. yeah that sorta works but that can be baited. on top of that i had reverse my inputs and also like as mentioned above some of them tailored their timings and messed up my inputs.
3. same problems with eliza being able to tailor the timing.
I don't know how to recreate it but i swear it has happened to me.

the point is not complaining i'm asking if this has happened to anyone other than me. i want to know whether its just a player problem that i have or is it the character that makes this a bit difficult to see and block appropriately. that way I can learn what to do against that particular situation. in no means or intentions did i want to complain but instead was asking the community on a particular situation and its occurrence.

To answer and further continue the conversation.

1. yes, but i think some eliza players know how to make it uncrossup with timing, i THINK they do because some have set up just doing the usual j.lk(blocked) and then j.hp(the crossup) once i block that they tailor their timing and at some point i had decide which way to block. Wrong or right i had to commit if i wanted to try this method its a bit tricky.
2. yeah that sorta works but that can be baited. on top of that i had reverse my inputs and also like as mentioned above some of them tailored their timings and messed up my inputs.
3. same problems with eliza being able to tailor the timing.
I don't know how to recreate it but i swear it has happened to me.

the point is not complaining i'm asking if this has happened to anyone other than me. i want to know whether its just a player problem that i have or is it the character that makes this a bit difficult to see and block appropriately. that way I can learn what to do against that particular situation. in no means or intentions did i want to complain but instead was asking the community on a particular situation and its occurrence.

That sounds like something better Elizas than mine could do. Normally, my jLK -> jHP -> adc -> jLK -> jHP comes after a successful cHP launcher, so jLK doesn't get blocked in the first place. That said, the timing's pretty generous on jLK -> jHP, so I could see forward momentum on a blocked jLK carrying Eliza enough to the other side for jHP to cross up.

with an instant overhead starter, so you make a good point here. Whether its to good or bad or whatever is something else entirely.

The only other character that i know of that has a somewhat reasonable facsimile is retail filia j.hk xx airdash crossup j.hk.

Just a heads up-

1. Eliza's rising j.LK is a mid. IAD j.LK is a high, falling j.LK is a high.
2. Other characters can get similar things but only as a guard switch overhead. Eliza's is notable since it works on everyone crouching.

2. yeah that sorta works but that can be baited.

It's hard to bait a PBGC on a multi-hit string if you pushblock the first hit, you have to check that your last move in the chain has short enough recovery to not get punished. A string like Filia c.LK s.MK is PBGC safe if they pushblock the c.LK since s.MK recovers pretty quickly. Eliza's j.LK j.HP is not PBGC safe since j.HP has a zillion years of recovery.

The only way to compensate would be to airdash/air backdash after they react to pushblock(Which Eliza can't block during) or call Sekhmet to try AXE YOUR HEAD armour through your PBGC move, which loses to you doing nothing and punishing or doing an invul or sufficiently good hitbox throw/hit throw of some kind, like maybe Fukua armoured grab.

Also, one critical flaw in your thinking - Yes, they can bait it. But they HAVE to bait it to beat it. This is a two player game - make a read.

also can any other character do something like that? i'm talking beta wise not retail wise.
Edit: @ClarenceMage depends on your character and resources. this is not even counting assist in to the equation. i'm fine with making a read. i'm just simply asking what i just said in the previous sentence. once i know the full details. i can start developing countermeasures. i don't like going into a fighting game and not knowing jackshit and then resorting to one option 10/10 times.

I think the problem is overstated to be sure, but "wait it out and PBGC" is crazy talk since she has a ton of options after j.hp: land > stuff, IAD(forward or backward) > stuff, Sek > stuff (which is tough to reliably punish). I think if you are looking to bait Eliza you've mostly fallen into the trap. In my opinion, you're better off just blocking her and hoping one of the pushblocks stick (most don't).

Like I said though, I think the problem is overstated, but you guys are acting like once Eliza's in, she's free which is far, far from the truth.

I almost feel like I'm betraying myself here, but Eliza has a big, juicy hitbox during her jHP. If you think one's coming, couldn't you do something's clever to hit her while she's hitting, thereby swinging it in your favor? I accidentally pulled off a Nekhmet Breaker on a jHP Squigly once- perhaps you could do something similar?

Perhaps it's just because I've tackled Marie too many times, and it's skewed my perception, but it seems to me that Eliza's very vulnerable to a missed attack. Get a light poke or a projectile in after she's thrown her punch, and you can cause all manner of interruption and pain.

I think the problem is overstated to be sure, but "wait it out and PBGC" is crazy talk since she has a ton of options after j.hp: land > stuff, IAD(forward or backward) > stuff, Sek > stuff (which is tough to reliably punish). I think if you are looking to bait Eliza you've mostly fallen into the trap. In my opinion, you're better off just blocking her and hoping one of the pushblocks stick (most don't).

Like I said though, I think the problem is overstated, but you guys are acting like once Eliza's in, she's free which is far, far from the truth.

Hey now, i never said she was free once shes in the things i stated are all very hard to do because ones natural tendency is to pushblock early.

What im REALLY talking about is flubbing an early pushblock, seeing it be flubbed, but then using that as a way to do a pbgc. This is one of the big reasons why i call early pushblocks against multihit moves (or against strings that dont get pushed out) a kind of option select.

You pushblock early anticipating the opponent to do something that will get them pushed away.
They instead use a multihit move or a string that moves them in. Since you have practiced against these strings you can see them and react. Once you see that you pushblocked this kind of move or string, you reversal the opponent at the end of your pushblock.

Now in the future they have to bait you or get reversaled everytime. This will result in you making some mistakes and getting baited. This will also result in you guessing right and reversaling the opponent.

The net result is 2 things:

Your opponents pressure string isnt "free" for them anymore and sometimes when they do it they will backoff, incorrectly anticipating your reversal and letting you out of pressure for free, which results in the pattern losing SOME of its effectiveness.

The second thing has to do with the first thing. Once the opponent sees their pressure being less effective than before, they will stop trying to abuse it as much. The net result here is that the pressure has slackened considerably, both from use of the string, and from its deadly 100% pressure followups. This is very good for the defender and not so good for the attacker (eliza)

This is very different from trying to make an out of blue read. Here the "read" is actually eliza telegraphing her intentions by doing rising j.lk,j.hp and the opponent being smart enough to be able to read elizas current psychology while doing the pattern and knowing whether shes thinking aggressively, or thinking in a more balanced baity way. There are lots of reads that are available to a player depending on how their opponent is currently playing. Nothing is 100%, but thats the way the game is designed, to put the other player in a position where they have to think and make a read not just rely on good reactions and spacial ability to save them from everything. Well, the spacial thing was before the beta.

And @Dreamepitaph

Yeah eliza can bait all theses things which is why i gave multiple options. If she couldnt bait the first option YOU would have no need to have a second option...

The point isnt that she can bait you the point is both stated above and:

If shes gotten into that range in the first place it means youve made a mistake and now have to suffer the consquences of being confirmed on, or having to deal with a mixup of some sort.

Since youve made a mistake (a dumb play, basically) you now have to make a smart play to get yourself out.

So, making that choice should be what you do. Not waiting for the eliza player to mess up.

Heres a really dumb easy example:

You are using filia, eliza takes advantage of some mistake of yours and gets close enough to j.lk you. You pushblock the j.lk and notice that it was a j.lk and further notice that she will probably chain into a j.hp since its what shes been doing for the last however many games. You also know that after making you block that pattern that the eliza player will go for some sort of mixup. So, you just reversal with with fukuas tag. If the eliza player went for a j.lk repressure, or a throw, or a low... You win, and not only do you win... You get a free combo. This will affect the eliza player next time if they are any good. They may try for an offense that still pressures you, but beats tag reversals, as an example.

That's fair, and I probably shouldn't put words in your (or others') mouth.

I'm just saying, Eliza is a fantastic character with amazing pressure... all that attached to a pretty solid character in other respects as well.

And I say this as a person who is likely dropping Squigly to put Eliza on my team. Seriously... Butcher's Blade assist + PW is lovely... that's like 30 seconds of lock down. Then add to that an Eliza coming in instead of a Squigly... :D

Perhaps it's just because I've tackled Marie too many times, and it's skewed my perception, but it seems to me that Eliza's very vulnerable to a missed attack. Get a light poke or a projectile in after she's thrown her punch, and you can cause all manner of interruption and pain.
Most, if not, all of her blood-enabled attacks have hurtboxes before hitboxes where all blood appears that would have a hitbox later. If you make a read on it, you're free to punish her with whichever option is faster, which includes st.MP, cr.MK (Although this.. why would you?), j.LK, j.MK, j.MP, j.HP, and j.HK.

All of them are practically free to any airthrow if you're in range, since I believe only j.LK would even come close to contesting the startup of a general throw. Use your awesome anti-air or uppercutt-oh assists to make her feel dumb.

Reactions: fenster