• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

please, no. the only good thing about playing against laser is that you can duck it.

But you don't. You get like 1 and a half unless you do a combo you'll probably drop that's really long and gives the opponent a bunch of meter and gives them back all their red health. Red health for hype ALONE is a pretty bad trade unless you manage to get level 3 grab.
[s./c.LP->s.MP->drop->MK Blitzer->D+K] is really not that hard and would give you more than 3 hype levels even at higher damages. You think I would have said you can get max hype if I hadn't tried it? I don't make statements that I didn't research beforehand.

They lose the red health on whoever you snapped in, so since you SHOULD have snapped in the assist you were hitting, even dropping it doesn't cost you any damage there.

And please don't try to argue "this is hard so it should be allowed" ever again, that argument does not work.

SF4 doesn't even care if you hit the directions in order...FBDU is a 360. No thanks.

BlazBlue doesn't do this though, and it's still way easier to do keyboard 360s with Tager than it is with Bella. I don't do any of that dumb "hit 4 cardinal directions in a random order" junk, either.

BlazBlue CSE registers Left, Release, Down, Release, Right, Release, Up + B as a valid 360. SG does as well, but as @worldjem pointed out it only does so if you input the next cardinal direction within 2f of the last being released... which makes this method less reliable.

This is probably a dumb question but I'll never learn if I don't ask: Why is this the case for 360s? What does making a 360 invalid if your stick returns to neutral for too long accomplish? I only bother you about this because I have BBCSE opened up side-by-side with Skullgirls, and between doing a bunch of successful Tager Drivers and not as many successful Ultimate Showstoppers, it's only making me wish that SG handled 360s like BlazBlue does because Bella was the character I wanted to pick up before Big Band. :c

Reactions: Sydoh
Are you sure it's not just a problem of "git gud"? I mean I don't have the best keyboard execution (my wpm is in the 60's on good days) and I can do it like 8/10 without any practice.

Reactions: zarkingphoton
I wonder if it has anything to do with keyboard ghosting. I have a lot more trouble 360s on my desktop keyboard than I do on my laptop keyboard - though I'm not good at executing either, honestly - but I can't imagine my execution differs that significantly between the two.

Cerbellas run goes under robos HP laser. The animation on the laser looks like its touching her though. Maybe the hitbox needs to be lower?

It does hit her, run has one hit of armor and the armor does get hit. her hat doesn't count as a hitbox and her height changes while she runs but she gets hit at least once.

please, no. the only good thing about playing against laser is that you can duck it.

At fullscreen tumbling run can manage to beat HP laser unscathed, but sometimes you'll be hit at least once. I guess it depends on the timing.

Reactions: erkicman
I wonder if it has anything to do with keyboard ghosting.

Nope. Using a mechanical keyboard with no ghosting whatsoever.

Are you sure it's not just a problem of "git gud"? I mean I don't have the best keyboard execution (my wpm is in the 60's on good days) and I can do it like 8/10 without any practice.

The issue above has nothing to do with WPM at all... there isn't much overlap in typing speed and your ability to use a keyboard as a controller.

My issue is "SG's 360s are more difficult on keyboard than in other games because of this one feature whose reason for existing is a mystery to me". Being adequate at doing them doesn't change the fact that they're more difficult than in other games!

Last edited:

At fullscreen tumbling run can manage to beat HP laser unscathed, but sometimes you'll be hit at least once. I guess it depends on the timing.
Thank you for making the vid. But ya, I think hit box should be a tad lower to hit this

I wouldn't mind if the laser was like, 1 pixel lower tbh. There's a frame or 2 in Cerebella's standing idle animation where she will completely avoid Robo's MP laser by what looks like a single pixel. It's when she starts swaying forward slightly.

Last edited:
I always thought the moves that can't easily be pushblocked were deliberate. Some other ones that I can think of are:
- the multihit part of Cat Scratch Fever
-Filia Hairball (though I think that is changed now)
-Squigly lvl 3
-first part of argus
-buer thresher

By the way, you can pushblock these by double tapping the buttons.

Parasoul level 3 is also hard to pushblock consistently (though the training dummy can do it perfectly)
This is actually pretty useful since it makes it harder to absolute guard, but still.

What are you talking about? You're automatically in absolute guard the moment you start blocking Inferno Brigade.

No, unless Inferno Brigade is no longer a blockstring or Skullgirls changed the way it handled blockstrings, what I said is correct. Just let go of the stick to test it.

User warned for being off-topic and potentially derailing the thread.
Why don't we just call that advanced tactics like we did in Marvel 2 instead of co-opting a term that literally means something else? Absolute guard (the real one) is actually notable for things like parrying and trying to block Wulf Blitzer assist crossups.

Why don't we just call that advanced tactics like we did in Marvel 2 instead of co-opting a term that literally means something else? Absolute guard (the real one) is actually notable for things like parrying and trying to block Wulf Blitzer assist crossups.
idc what we call it but everyone else calls it absolute guard so I call it that too. I also never played Marvel 2

Reactions: Fosh
I wouldn't mind if the laser was like, 1 pixel lower tbh. There's a frame or 2 in Cerebella's standing idle animation where she will completely avoid Robo's MP laser by what looks like a single pixel. It's when she starts swaying forward slightly.

I don't see how this is a big deal, considering that if bella is standing she's just gonna reflect it back at RF anyways and even if she doesn't reflect it she can't jump or walk forward without getting hit. I really don't want to see the high beam hit lower than it does now by any amount :/

So you'd rather call it "Advanced Tactics" a term which is even more vague and confusing than the one we're using now?

Let's call it "that thing that makes your character not be hit by lows, overheads and throws when you pushblock".

So you'd rather call it "Advanced Tactics" a term which is even more vague and confusing than the one we're using now?
Yes!

-----

absolute
ˈabsəluːt/
adjective
  1. not [..] diminished in any way; total.
-----

Clearly it makes sense to use "Absolute Guard" to describe a game mechanic that has you block mids and highs BUT NOT LOWS, rather than a technique which actually allows you to block absolutely. Logic.

pushblock high block low you block both high and low.... is that not absolute guard?

pushblock high block low you block both high and low.... is that not absolute guard?
It is - in SG

In some older games it (alongside "active block" and "autoguard" and probably 10 other terms) refers to
"If you block a move and then let go of block, you continue blocking (as long as it's a blockstring, and this doesn't work against lows)"

Which is really silly, as this clearly has nothing at all to do with blocking absolutely

Now Broken Loose set out on a quest to make us use this self-explanatory term not for the thing it accurately describes, but for something where it's exceptionally stupid and unfitting -
because in some older games people use it for the stupid senseless shit, and clearly "tradition" is more important than any semblance of logic

Do you want it to be low enough to hit dashing fortune too?
Cerebella is considered a big character so it would make sense. C'mon now, don't be mad just cause you play her and I'm suggesting a 2-pixel move against her. Plus the animation IS hitting her, so technically I'm in the right.

I'm just trying to help with the beta by pointing stuff out that Mike might want. I haven't ran across any Robos yet so not sure if she's getting enough testing across the board.

I'm not entirely comfortable living in a world where MMDS can be right.

Since its only been... Ahem... "Alluded" to so far... Just put it out there:

Bellas run armor hitbox might need to be shifted to have a slightly higher hitbox if it isnt intended behavior for her armor run to run under beam. I see no reason for beam itself to be shifted lower though. The bella change probably wouldnt hurt to much for bella, but a robo change to beam being lower would change ALOT of stuff probably across most of the cast.

I moved up to my space bar so I can do 360s on kb. Didnt have to until SG.

Last edited:
is it intentional that on a 3 man team if you kill the first character and snap out the dead body you can bring in the anchor instead of the second character?

is it intentional that on a 3 man team if you kill the first character and snap out the dead body you can bring in the anchor instead of the second character?
Yep

So I'm having an issue where at the end of a combo if I use crHP into DnB it'll trigger undizzy. It happens rarely but it still happens and I'm wondering if that's a bug or just me being off by a frame so the game considers it something else.

Bug on Eliza's H Spiral assist? If you do a reset involving the assist it moves the stage up and raises undizzy.

I don't know if this is really gameplay related but why was the guitar solo in NMO Arena removed? The guitar sections were the best parts of the song and now it seems like it's been muffled or just straight up removed in parts.

I don't see how this is a big deal, considering that if bella is standing she's just gonna reflect it back at RF anyways and even if she doesn't reflect it she can't jump or walk forward without getting hit. I really don't want to see the high beam hit lower than it does now by any amount :/
It's really not a big deal since this situation will rarely ever come up, just thought it was pretty jank that the attack has a chance of missing on a standing character.
So I'm having an issue where at the end of a combo if I use crHP into DnB it'll trigger undizzy. It happens rarely but it still happens and I'm wondering if that's a bug or just me being off by a frame so the game considers it something else.
It's probably just you linking into DnB so the game considers it a separate chain.

Tumbling run has always beaten L luger, I don't see why Robolazor needs changing

Last edited:
Can Eliza get a buff on her Standing L.K? It looks like its missing one more small hitbox and makes combos in the corner unreasonably harder because of how small it is when it looks like it should go slightly further.