• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Just wanted to comment on some of the PW changes.

c.hp as an overhead is incredible. I really don't know how else to say it. Call a low assist + c.hp is sexy. I hope it stays. I'm still new to it, but it seems to have a lot of use (at least once a match which is more than I can say for pretty much any grounded HG).

@Dreamepitaph did you notice it? What about c.mk being low? Anyway, thanks for the set... though I do hate getting murdered.

I feel like current beta painwheel is a top 5 character with BB on her team, perhaps even top 3. With BB On painwheels team, pw can convert just about any beat extend into full combo. Effectively making her convert almsot as well as val. But with higher damage and still very good resets. After that, painwheels neutral is very shored up with beat extend.

Trying to get through pw j.mp air to air, charged j.hp, beat extend and j.mk seems almost like im being unfair. Painwheels current charge buffs are incredible as well and make for a lot of (very easy) mindgames.

And peacock cant really be considered a counter pick when pw has BB brass assist, can it? So pw with BB has no bad matchups as far as i can tell... Everything is looking evenish or advantage pw except maybe squigly.

Parasoul is countered by her own playstyle, if shes aggressive use beat extend, if shes keepaway use brass. If she can do both use whichever assist the pw feels more comfortable with.

The only problem i have with pw right now, is not knowing which buffs are staying. But if things stay as they are pw feels like shes definitely been buffed enough.

I feel like current beta painwheel is a top 5 character with BB on her team, perhaps even top 3. With BB On painwheels team, pw can convert just about any beat extend into full combo. Effectively making her convert almsot as well as val. But with higher damage and still very good resets. After that, painwheels neutral is very shored up with beat extend.

Trying to get through pw j.mp air to air, charged j.hp, beat extend and j.mk seems almost like im being unfair. Painwheels current charge buffs are incredible as well and make for a lot of (very easy) mindgames.

And peacock cant really be considered a counter pick when pw has BB brass assist, can it? So pw with BB has no bad matchups as far as i can tell... Everything is looking evenish or advantage pw except maybe squigly.

Parasoul is countered by her own playstyle, if shes aggressive use beat extend, if shes keepaway use brass. If she can do both use whichever assist the pw feels more comfortable with.

The only problem i have with pw right now, is not knowing which buffs are staying. But if things stay as they are pw feels like shes definitely been buffed enough.
Oddly, I came to the same train of thought with Big Band and PW. I was just thinking of putting the highest damage characters on 1 team seeing if I can force it to work. Big Band and Bella are 2 of the most damaging characters and i was thinking of a 3rd. I figured PW and for assists, BB would use L Beat Extend and Bella would have (H) LnL because L Beat Extend would help defensively or keeping a large amount of space dangerous and LnL for moving in.

I don't doubt it. Beat Extend is fucking fantastic... like "I'd love it to be nerfed" fantastic. It is all of the things I hated (and still hate) about DP assists refined into almost perfection. It is that passive element of gameplay that I absolutely hate in which the beat extend person stays almost entirely on the defensive waiting for an assist confirm.

It is good enough that I'm considering dropping my MF for BB.

It's only real downside is being attached to BB which is in itself not a bad thing... I just don't particularly like him. Which again speaks to how good (I think) that assist is. I don't like his aesthetic. I don't like his play style, yet I'm considering putting him on my team as he'll always pay off in any team.

I don't doubt it. Beat Extend is fucking fantastic... like "I'd love it to be nerfed" fantastic. It is all of the things I hated (and still hate) about DP assists refined into almost perfection. It is that passive element of gameplay that I absolutely hate in which the beat extend person stays almost entirely on the defensive waiting for an assist confirm.

It is good enough that I'm considering dropping my MF for BB.

It's only real downside is being attached to BB which is in itself not a bad thing... I just don't particularly like him. Which again speaks to how good (I think) that assist is. I don't like his aesthetic. I don't like his play style, yet I'm considering putting him on my team as he'll always pay off in any team.

Understandable in some ways. Dp assists afterall are pretty annoying. But if you nerf beat extend you are just putting all the power back in point val/parasouls/peacocks hands and all the assist power back in updo and pillar.

Beat extend is imho a perfect way to balance dp assists across the cast. Now no character is in that shit tier of "cant confirm dp assist as good as val/para/peacock, and therefor has an uphill battle against those characters when they use those assists"

Its homogenous... But many things in the game are. I'd rather have it this way than the other way.

Oh I don't disagree. I think in some sense, the core of what this game is just disagrees with me. I don't love the team aspect. I'd still be rocking solo PW if it wasn't such an uphill battle. Even granting the team portion, I don't love how necessary DP assists can feel, and I'd still be rocking just PW/Squig if it wasn't such an uphill battle. Instead, I "drank the kool-aid" and assimilated like we all seem to eventually... which really is a statement of my love for Painwheel and the Skullgirl aesthetic.

In any case, why couldn't beat extend be on a character I actually like?!?

In any case, why couldn't beat extend be on a character I actually like?!?

Hahah, why cant cerecopter be on a character "I" actually like?

In BB case, its BECAUSE i love pw that i picked up BB. He's her best friend right now so if i put him on my team i get shinwheel.

And shinwheel is a lot better than solo shitwheel. And many games i never even make it to BB or,my other character... Pw just rapes face and takes it home... Lol

Question what does 75% scaling mean?

So combo scaling is 100% for 3 hits and is 87.5% of the scaling value after that.

4: 87.5%
5: 76.6%
6: 67.0%
7: 58.0%

all the way down to the minimum scaling (27.5 or 20.0 depending on if the hit is > 1000).

So... this means that the scaling after hitting a dart scales your combo as if you had already done ~5 hits (as in your next attack will be damage*.766). Which is a buff as prior to this it would have been like you had done ~8 hits (damage * ~.50)

... I think.

*all numbers pulled from Shoryuken.com and my brain which is highly fallible.

So combo scaling is 100% for 3 hits and is 87.5% of the scaling value after that.

4: 87.5%
5: 76.6%
6: 67.0%
7: 58.0%

all the way down to the minimum scaling (27.5 or 20.0 depending on if the hit is > 1000).

So... this means that the scaling after hitting a dart scales your combo as if you had already done ~5 hits (as in your next attack will be damage*.766). Which is a buff as prior to this it would have been like you had done ~8 hits (damage * ~.50)

... I think.

*all numbers pulled from Shoryuken.com and my brain which is highly fallible.
i think he was joking and wondering Why this change? i dunno this is gonna be good!

I think he's saying because it WAS 50% scaling, and now it's only 75% scaling, meaning Fukua now gets more damage off her fireball confirms etc

I think he's saying because it WAS 50% scaling, and now it's only 75% scaling, meaning Fukua now gets more damage off her fireball confirms etc
ok....am i mucking it up or are you mucking it up?

75%= less damage if you combo....unless i'm wrong and its the opposite.....CRAP i dunno!

ok....am i mucking it up or are you mucking it up?

75%= less damage if you combo....unless i'm wrong and its the opposite.....CRAP i dunno!

100% scaling is full damage. 75% scaling is 3/4ths damage. 50% scaling is 1/2 damage.

I'm not sure if the fireball affects scaling mid-combo or not, I thought it was just for confirms, you're probably right. Though at a certain point it would be moot, so it'd be a mid/early combo thing where 75% scaling would already happen or w/e.

I'm guessing it does affect it mid-combo just like some other specials. Off-hand, PWs buer and lp.nails scales down to 50%.

So using my fancy list above, just don't do dart before the 5th hit and you won't be missing any damage. Generally speaking, you probably won't notice a damage loss anywhere except off of a dart confirm (well... within the first 3 hits anyway).

And for beta Fukuas, this is a buff... so those of you who are comfortable with her in beta right now, congratulations you annoying sons of bitches.

I'm guessing it does affect it mid-combo just like some other specials. Off-hand, PWs buer and lp.nails scales down to 50%.

So using my fancy list above, just don't do dart before the 5th hit and you won't be missing any damage. Generally speaking, you probably won't notice a damage loss anywhere except off of a dart confirm (well... within the first 3 hits anyway).

And for beta Fukuas, this is a buff... so those of you who are comfortable with her in beta right now, congratulations you annoying sons of bitches.
pssh the ONLY fukua to even do fireball combos is Mayor of earth.

Late responses
- PW/Fortune's tag triggering IPS was coming anyway.
- No untechable throws off stagger because it would give Peacock combos into sliding / Valentine + assist combos into untechable knockdown into poison + crossups midstage, and throws don't trigger undizzy so you'd get those off any length, and I don't want to add some new rule just for that.

- No untechable throws off stagger because it would give Peacock combos into sliding / Valentine + assist combos into untechable knockdown into poison + crossups midstage, and throws don't trigger undizzy so you'd get those off any length, and I don't want to add some new rule just for that.
Eh, just buff Hi Hi Birdie to make Peacock's next throw untechable. The only reason why it's even an issue is because it's really hard to do Goodfellas.

Alternately, change Goodfellas so it's a command throw and the throw portion is added onto the move's startup.

I think a lot of Eliza's stuff right now is good thanks to unfamiliarity. I mean, how dumb would Filia look if this was the first time you've seen her j.hk ADC/fast fall crap?

Back