• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Huh? You mean fall faster? Why?
Some setups you can make it look like you will crossup but then you air backdash and go to same side again. I mean, jmp and jmk can work for a bunch of these, but having faster falling jlk from air backdash might make it a little easier.

Some setups you can make it look like you will crossup but then you air backdash and go to same side again. I mean, jmp and jmk can work for a bunch of these, but having faster falling jlk from air backdash might make it a little easier.
Well, the backward j.LK will no longer hit, pretty much ever. But I can make it fall faster, sure.

Would it be possible/realistic to have ringlet work kind of like Val cross/vial where you can choose which version you get by holding the button?

i.e. 236HP for far ringlet with no scaling but normal/old effects or 236[HP] for the beta ringlet?

Would it be possible/realistic to have ringlet work kind of like Val cross/vial where you can choose which version you get by holding the button?
i.e. 236HP for far ringlet with no scaling but normal/old effects or 236[HP] for the beta ringlet?
Nope. I mean possible yes, but I do not want that.

@Mike_Z not that she needs it, but for consistency: when playing WingZero today he noticed that for some reason Filia can't air dash after a whiffed air throw.

@Mike_Z not that she needs it, but for consistency: when playing WingZero today he noticed that for some reason Filia can't air dash after a whiffed air throw.
You didn't even try it, did you? She totally can.
Remember that the only thing which resets your air options is you jumping, so there can certainly be cases where airdash then later get hit / recover in the air / try a throw and whiff and then can't dash. But just jump, throw, dash? Yeah, she can.

Reactions: gllt
You didn't even try it, did you? She totally can.
Remember that the only thing which resets your air options is you jumping, so there can certainly be cases where airdash then later get hit / recover in the air / try a throw and whiff and then can't dash. But just jump, throw, dash? Yeah, she can.
Hey don't tell me, tell @WingZero
If it helps, he was trying to button dash. And he's usually pretty good with that but only MP would come out.

Last edited:
@Mike_Z
Just played a set with Wing on beta, bella vs filia. MGR > c.lk > c.mp > c.hp. The c.mp whiffs mid screen. Tried it in training mode. It connects sometimes but it seems to be very inconsistent. Hope this helps.
Were you dashing before your c.lk? Cause I went in training mode for a second and couldn't get it to whiff.

yeah I had like none dash cr.lk cr.mp wiff but the dash up stuff worked fine. I'm guessing Filia was just being weird on the ground cuz I had random trouble doing val stuff on her before.

Well, the backward j.LK will no longer hit, pretty much ever. But I can make it fall faster, sure.
I see what you mean by no longer hit. I guess in my head I was thinking of it as falling not only at the same rate, but cutting off the horizontal momentum as well. Like, if you iad jlk, you move about 1.3 training mode grid spaces forward before you stop in place from land canceling. When done from a iabd, it moves you almost like 1.8 or so grids. In my head I thought it would move as much as it did forward, not more, allowing you to hit same side with the falling hitbox. Oh well. Sorry for making you do extra work.

Hey don't tell me, tell @WingZero
If it helps, he was trying to button dash. And he's usually pretty good with that but only MP would come out.
Yeah she can. it was my timing. Double checked everything in Retail and Beta. :P

Reactions: guitalex2007
- Painwheel's Hatred Install is now QCB+KK/214+KK. Thus Spake Elky Dori.

@ElkyDori

You make me want to cry tears of joy.

I always thought this was by design to punish mashing Thresher. Guess I never thought to ask if it could be changed.

Great change, imo.

it shouldn't mess up flight. You might get flight instead of install I suppose

If that's really an issue, you could always relax the amount of frames needed to hit the two kicks.

That said, if you are having issues, then you'd also have been having issues by getting buers pre experiment... which are just as punishable as flight.

As for myself, this will result in less self-inflicted deaths by mashing because if you fuck-up and get HI... you're boned.

it shouldn't mess up flight. You might get flight instead of install I suppose
You might get Install by mistake if you try to eg 214MK-LK too fast, like mashy Peacocks sometimes flomp an accidental Lenny

this will result in less self-inflicted deaths by mashing
#whatagreatchange

You might get Install by mistake if you try to eg 214MK-LK too fast, like mashy Peacocks sometimes flomp an accidental Lenny
It's true, I am pretty mashy and this happens a lot.

It's an excellent change.

Imagine if every time Filia tried to mash out a Gregor during a common reset point that is just above the ground, if she touches the ground she stands there like an asshole for a few frames... with a massive cinematic so everyone has roughly 10 seconds to realize you just fucked up and capitalize on it.

Quickly checking my memory, I can't think of another character in the game that has to deal with having super B coming when you wanted super A because you were a couple of frames too late.

#whatagreatchange

Why wouldn't you just do 214LK-LK???

Yeah she can. it was my timing. Double checked everything in Retail and Beta. :P
I'm glad to hear that, it could have been a bug, I never really knowwwww...

If that's really an issue, you could always relax the amount of frames needed to hit the two kicks.
That won't happen, for two reasons:
- It already screws up people flying with a different button than they're attacking with, because the buffer for a button during Fly is so long that now they can get Installs (the original reason it was QCT).
- You're off the ground after 1f during Fly, so even if I made Install let you do K.....K it wouldn't matter because you're in the air and can't Install. :^P

And yes you can tell people to use the same button but agh, even *I* can't train myself to do that easily. I fly with MK regardless.

We should ask Mike to change Lenny to 214KK
Lenny is super George, so no, same motion.
Best part is the buffer on KK or PP is like 2f, whereas the FASTEST cancel window for bombs is like 16f or something. I don't think I've ever gotten accidental Lenny.

[edit]
SERIOUSLY, NOBODY HAS ANYTHING TO SAY ABOUT IAD j.LK AND JUNK FOR FILIA?

I feel like the current change makes still has filia being strong, but a little easier to defend against (which may or may not be a good thing, just a feeling anyway). IAD j.lk working in most situations is very welcome and now filia feels......right. Can't explain it well but she feels more complete this way imo

Yeah I don't think it is necessary to relax them at all.

I was wondering about maybe relaxing the frames for the punches in unfly though? I don't play with dash Macros, and I get j.mp instead of unfly far more than I should. What is the frame leniency on that anyway out of curiosity?

It is a learn to play issue for sure, so I'm bracing for that.

Lenny is super George, so no, same motion.
Best part is the buffer on KK or PP is like 2f, whereas the FASTEST cancel window for bombs is like 16f or something. I don't think I've ever gotten accidental Lenny.

[edit]

Lenny thing tends to happen when you do like bomb -> call assist but you started the motion for the other bomb so you end up doing super.

@j.lk yeah pls nerf

Lenny thing tends to happen when you do like bomb -> call assist but you started the motion for the other bomb so you end up doing super.
Oh? Okay. But you can call the 2nd bomb without a motion so...?
@j.lk yeah pls nerf
I can never tell when you are serious.
I was wondering about maybe relaxing the frames for the punches in unfly though? I don't play with dash Macros, and I get j.mp instead of unfly far more than I should. What is the frame leniency on that anyway out of curiosity?
It is a learn to play issue for sure, so I'm bracing for that.
Though the leniency on PP is 2f, the leniency on unfly is same-frame-only and it's not possible to relax in this case. If you do P~P, as soon as you hit the first P you are no longer flying, so you can no longer unfly. Makes sense, yeah?
Not much to be done there, I do not want to add some kind of weird kara check for allowing unfly from the startup of air moves. There's nothing I can do there except say that until MvC2 (when the game switched to 2 punches/2 kicks) you were required to hit 3 buttons on the exact same frame to do supers, pushblocks, and dashes. So at least SG is only 2. [edit] And you can negative-edge Unfly, for whatever that's worth.

I don't really say L2P all that much! I try to be accommodating when I can be...

Last edited:
Reactions: Spencer
It's gross, but I like that it's consistent.

oh you can call a bomb without the 2nd motion huh
lololol

Gross?
Good, useful, powerful, wonderful, hilarious.

the FASTEST cancel window for bombs is like 16f or something.
Can we remove that btw / is there a reason it's there?
Cancels out of L don't have this "issue"; you can do L-M or L-H "asap"
Cancels out of M/H feel very weird with this delay in place, I think

Don't really get why you have to wait for the Bomb to appear onscreen to do the next one?

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Yeah that makes sense about unfly.

Thanks for the response though.

What does Peacock say when Double beats her? "I hate reruns"? She should say that when Fukua beats her =p

On a more serious note this thread reminds me that I should practice on beta a bit more to keep up to date with these trial changes, I'm so out of the loop.

[edit]
Because of the change to j.lk, Filia now has a much faster close range overhead. It also allows for her to do dash > iad > j.lk without it whiffing, which just made her mixup stronger imo. She can combo off of grab meterless so throwing is a bit more viable as a mixup. Her projectile keeps the opponent in place slightly longer so it's more of an in now. Filia is just a stronger character overall.

Reactions: Mr Peck
man did we end up making Filia a better character in the beta experiments

ayyy

Reactions: Tomo009
I'd like to make a suggestion.

I've been playing Eliza more recently and one particular matchup that seems really difficult is peacock+assist. Because she is so tall, she constantly has to stop and crouch to avoid HK George and such. It can be difficult to poke her from a distance because a lot of her attacks expand her hurtbox which causes her to trade with a bomb often. I've tried using stuff like qcf LK and c.HK, but the startup is too long to be able to use them between the gaps in her zoning. Even as an assist, c.HK is hard to get out. I'm suggesting to speed up the startup on c.HK just a bit to make it more usable. You don't really gain anything out of it other than positioning.

I've been playing Eliza everyone more recently and one particular matchup that seems really difficult is peacock+assist.

You don't really gain anything out of it other than positioning.
Cancel into DP or MK servant.

Were you dashing before your c.lk? Cause I went in training mode for a second and couldn't get it to whiff.

I wasn't. I was pointing out that in retail, MGR > c.lk > c.mp connects all the time without a dash. It didn't in the beta. I thought that might be important so I posted it. That's all :)