• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Quick question - is Robo-Fortune's Magnetic Trap super in an experimental phase right now? A few updates ago it was listed as DP/623+KK in the command list, and now it's QCF/236+KK, but currently the move comes out if you input QCF -or- DP. I thought it was user error at first, but training mode is telling me I'm not pressing any extra directions past down-fwd during DP motions and the move's still coming out every time. When I switch from Robo to Cerebella I consistently get Lock n' Load when I want it and Reflect/etc. when I want it, so I don't think it's me screwing up the inputs. I've tested it on a stick and two different pads and it's the same result, but I didn't want to jump the gun and make a bug thread if this is something that's still being finalized and I just didn't see it mentioned in the topic.

Last edited:
Squigly's j.lp overhead isn't the same case as the other characters who got their's nerfed.

For one it doesn't even work on the whole cast. It works one Big Band, Eliza, Beowolf, and Cerebella, Cerebella's hitbox is also finicky to get the overhead to even work. Other characters have lots of character specific stuff. Squigly gets left right resets on her by painwheel all the time. Having this in those 4 match ups really helps when you actually manage to get in. You are an actual threat up close, now every one except big band just has to sit tight downbacking and react overhead or throw. Or just not respect your pressure and do what ever.

You don't get a lot of options off j.lp overhead certainly no where near as much as Filia or Eliza. You can't combo into any other normals and j.lp>divkick isn't a damaging combo starter like Filia's j.hk. If its blocked you get pushed blocked out and can't make your way in easily with an air dash. You get one shot at the overhead and not much after if they know you are going for it.

Was it that big a deal in the first place that she had it? If it wasn't I believe it would be more beneficial to keep it as a niche option than to remove it.
Fuzzy setups are nice but they can be pushed blocked away so they aren't as good as in other games. Guess its about time I start exploring some more fuzzy set ups.

Fillia's j.lk, eliza's j.lk and squigly's j.lk are all 7 frame start up. I know jump and air dash start up times are also factored in but Filia and Eliza's overhead are just as hard to block not to mention they cross up sometimes for what ever reason and they both work on the entire cast.

Please consider.

Thanks.

Last edited:
When I played against Squigly using characters it worked on, most players sure weren't using it as a 'niche tool'.

edit: This post made sense before akindhobo edited the post above it. Never mind!

Last edited:
Reactions: GrunkleBarlowe
it's only a "niche tool" in that it doesn't work on everyone

Reactions: akindhobo
Delete (or remove and keep) your savedata and see if that helps?

works thanks!

Gettin' pretty close to the final balance, folks. Don't expect too many changes from here on...

General
- Added TAUNTS FOR EVERYONE WHO DIDN'T HAVE ONE! Check the command list for their individual motions. They're not quite finished, some do not have sound, etc, but they exist! All new in-game art for SG is now complete.
- Fix 2D version of Meridian Area Rapid Transit when Filia is fighting.
- Fix longstanding error in the combo-count words: 100 is Centennial, 101/110/111 are Binary, 102-109 are Courageous, and 112-120 are Legendary. (Previously Binary was non 1-and-0 words between 100 and 110.)
- Reduced post-KO playaround time from 5 sec to 3 sec.
- Removed the extra weird box from the Single Player menu...I mean, what extra weird box? :^)

Beowulf
- H Hurting Hurl now scales followup damage to 90%.
Big Band
- Poison palette effects are now applied to his arms during A-Train. That was a fun one to fix. :^P
Cerebella
- Tumbling Run is now tall enough to get hit by Robo's ground H Theonite Beam.
Double
- Hornet Bomber supercancel window on landing is now always at least 11f; previously depending on her speed it could be as few as 4f.
- All versions of Luger -1f recovery, now are -4 on block at point-blank range.
Fukua
- The hitstun on s.LK is now correct. s.LK -> L Shadow no longer combos. Thanks (and sorry) DreamEpitaph.
- Ground fireball hitstun +3f to help comboing into BFFs. Point-blank ground fireball now 1f links into s.LP, but that's not really useful. Blockstun unchanged.
- Ground L fireball travels much slower, is more useful as a zoning tool.
- When DHC'd into and you can combo after it, the second hit of BFFs now scales followup damage to 50%. I imagine the creators of MvC2 would have done something similar to HSF if they had been able to.
RoboFortune
- Fixed up super-KO portrait a bit.
- Movelist in proper order.
- Lv3 explosion will not happen during supers after the superflash, it will wait until the super is over (or Robo is hit). It WILL happen before the superflash, though.
Squigly
- Rising j.LP is no longer an instant overhead (except on Big Band), but is still a fuzzy-guard high hit.
- Silver Chord startup -3f to help it combo during the middle of c.HP / s.F+HP and from slightly further away. It now combos from s.MP and c.MP, too.
http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/209758898034630369

I'm a huge fan of taunts, I think they add a lot of variety to assist choices because you are incentivized to pick one that will give you time to set one up. If it's impossible to retroactively go back and give them effects, I understand, it's cool to have them regardless. I just don't think anyone will find the time to use them.

I bet somebody's gonna find a safejump setup or something that uses taunts.

Its intended @Bonus Kun
All right, thanks. I was just a bit confused that the move got changed from one motion to another, yet the old motion will still produce the move anyway, even with the new command there to do the same job. Viva variety.

If you mean ways to place a taunt where your opponent absolutely cannot react, there are pretty obvious ones already out there. Cancelling Double's s.hp with a taunt (with your otg preserved so you get sliding knockdown) is pretty intuitive for instance.

Reactions: erkicman
If you mean ways to place a taunt where your opponent absolutely cannot react, there are pretty obvious ones already out there. Cancelling Double's s.hp with a taunt (with your otg preserved so you get sliding knockdown) is pretty intuitive for instance.

Don't forget Excellabella/A-Train assist!

I almost want to play Parasoul just so I can see how many times I can yawn mid-combo

Well I guess what I meant was something like:

- When I land a backbreaker with Guile, I do cr.HP afterward to setup the timing of my next jump perfectly for a safejump.

If I could use a taunt to help me time something, it's one of the ways I'd consider using it.

Well I guess what I meant was something like:

- When I land a backbreaker with Guile, I do cr.HP afterward to setup the timing of my next jump perfectly for a safejump.

If I could use a taunt to help me time something, it's one of the ways I'd consider using it.
I think a couple of pages back someone said they had a safe jump with Bella's taunt.

Reactions: erkicman
Everytime I hit Painwheel (Nightmare Difficulty AI) with Double's St.HP She just ends up flying doing nothing?

E:
At first I thought it only happens after a sliding knockdown, but turns out I just wasn't paying attention.
Painwheel's AI basically just does Charged St.hp // Cr.hp // Cr.hk and when blocked she will basically just fly towards you and will stay at a [9] position relative to you. If you wait long enough she will go on the offensive again.
Also, having an assist go under and pass fixes the issue, she flies away from you towards the ground closes in and actually performs decently (At least better than the QM Painwheels I've fought against). Though, at times, she will stop and just stand there and eventually just fly without doing anything; it also triggers when she tries to fly-cancel an attack. Attacking her also has the same results as the aforementioned assist thing.

Last edited:
Everytime I hit Painwheel (Nightmare Difficulty AI) with Double's St.HP She just ends up flying doing nothing?
Since we're talking about AIs :

I'm not sure my first post about this was noticed, so I'll post again in this thread to make sure.

Genera AI problem I just noticed, both retail and beta :

One can basically infinite any character as soon as one gets a hit on them.
All he has to do is c.lk c.mp s.hp run stop and repeat with bella, failing on purpose the c.lk link by only a few frames.
If done correctly, the opposing char will get hit while standing, no counter hit, no low indicator, seemingly not guarding or pushing any button at all. Can work ad aeternam.
Also work with c.lp, so it's not a problem with lows.

Possibly works with any char, with any combo dropped by just a few frames! Even works on Filia aka "great wall".

Was done on nightmare difficulty.

On the topic of the new taunts being useful for something, I think the simplest thing to do would be to make them build as much meter as whiffing 2 special moves (because that's about as much time as the taunts take).

That way, they don't really alter the balance of the game (since, for example, Bella could just whiff two Diamond Deflectors to build meter in the time it takes her to do a taunt) but they still do something.

Really I just want an excuse to do the taunts because I think they're super cool.

yun hat spin

but with vice versa

we're all dead

Am I the only person perfectly satisfied with the taunts doing nothing?
Me 2
Yall a bunch of whiners.

With the impending closure of the beta, is it time to post bugs?

I made a video before with the same problem, but this is a bit more to the point.

Big Band can parry Robo Fortune's laser super on the ground, but if he tries to do it while airborne, he will get hit the moment he touches the ground.

This is supposedly due to a 2 frame landing recovery which messes up Big Band's parrying. Please MikeZ, will you fix this?

General
- All new taunts now "do something".
Double, Fukua: Adds 1 unit of meter for the opponent (100 units = one level).
MsFortune, Valentine: Restores 5 HP on the last frame, will not heal above red life.
Filia, Painwheel: Hits for 5 dmg, hitstun 8f, can't kill.
Cerebella: Raises the chances of Lock'n'Load cat appearing to 1/4 instead of 1/90, until you get a cat.
Parasoul: Makes the next Egret Call always say "Well EXCUUUUUSE ME Princess".
Squigly: Makes you feel all warm inside. Isn't she cute? :^)

Cerebella
- Fix really bad bug vs Robo's magnet super if the super was input at certain times during Cerebella's jumps. Extra-special thanks to 904buffalo!
- Fix stationary hit animation when hit by a snapback out of the landing from Grab Bag. Thanks KnokMagic and SmashBlade!
Eliza
- Sekhmet now falls the proper direction when hit from behind by Daisy Pusher. Thanks khaosmuffins!
http://steamcommunity.com/games/208610/announcements/detail/209758898039767375

Reactions: Wenzel and Ryin
Cross post from the news thread:

I'm just going to say this:

Thank you, Mike, and thank you Lab Zero for all your efforts. You are too kind.

For the record Fukua's taunt actually gives 2/100 meter, not 1/100, in case Mike even cares to change that.

Well now I feel bad about making that suggestion.. :(

Look, I get the intention for shortening the end round combo timer was to make matches faster or something along those lines, however, Now every time I play the beta, when I win, Now I can't play any of the songs I spent so much time on learning for Big Band, and all those hours I spent learning them and getting them down seems a bit useless now.

And I mean my post wont really change anything, But still, it's really aggravating I can't put all those hours in training mode to use.

please don't nerf the startup of fortune's c.lk

With the impending closure of the beta, is it time to post bugs?

I made a video before with the same problem, but this is a bit more to the point.

Big Band can parry Robo Fortune's laser super on the ground, but if he tries to do it while airborne, he will get hit the moment he touches the ground.

This is supposedly due to a 2 frame landing recovery which messes up Big Band's parrying. Please MikeZ, will you fix this?
Yes it's true, you can't parry during landing recovery surprise. But really, I'm more than sure that's intentional on Mike's part in design. There's nothing wrong there.

Not that I wouldn't really oppose to a buff to my char, but, it -is- unnecessary and intentionally made that way.

You're just gonna have to hold that and take it on the ground. Don't jump so much.

If you are double and your opponent is with almost 1 bar, taunt to fill the bar, then bait a wake up super to get a free punish.

So... We arent getting replays?

And if we aren't getting replays on retail or console, can we still have them available on the beta?

Replay viewer is one of my favorite features, I use it all the time to see tactics that I use and my opponents he and what I could have done differently, it's an invaluable tool even with the desyncs... I rather have a buggy desync replay viewer than nothing.

did bellas reflector end up getting nerfed when the game went to retail? I remember a change way back when for that but I don't know if it stuck.

It only reflects projectiles now and doesn't have a physical hitbox otherwise.

Did the reflect window get smaller though that's all I care about.

After robo-fortune is released, is the Beta still going to exist on Steam? There's really no reason to remove it, but since the game won't get regular updates there's also no real reason to keep it. Like dime_x is saying though, I hope it does stay so we can have the replays.

Why aren't some super mashable? For example, Robo Fortune beams super could be mashable (as in mashing any button) to get some extra hits in.

Why aren't some super mashable? For example, Robo Fortune beams super could be mashable (as in mashing any button) to get some extra hits in.
Feel free to pretend it does cause it's never happening (good riddance).