• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls PC Beta Updates Discussion

Big Band's is 21. :^P
Yet no one reacts to it lol

Sneeze also continues while she's getting hit, remember.

And yeah, Mortuary Drop went from 31f->25f. Still the slowest command throw in the game. Gorilla is 10 (and people react to that) and Big Band's is 21. :^P

No one reacts to merry-go-rilla as much as guess and hope she doesn't do excelabella instead (or they just mash super and dhc if it doesn't work because forget thinking)

While on the subject of Cerebella, I kind of feel her grab bag needs something to make it more appealing to use. Given that you can combo a lot more consistently from her regular air throw, it kind of overshadows grab bag. The damage is nice but the only time I ever really do it is to finish someone off as a reset at the end of a combo so I don't have to spend meter, and even then I can probably get close to that damage using her regular air throw.

Not only can you probably get the same amount of damage with her regular air throw, it's also a lot more punishable on whiff and sends the opponent pretty far away if it connects, which is kinda what she doesn't want. I was thinking maybe experiment with letting her cancel into a super the moment she hits the ground, or just giving it a sliding knockdown so she has time to get close to the opponent again.

Reactions: Icky
i dont feel like you should ever use grab bag if theres a possibility it might whiff aka in neutral. i only ever use it for resets where its guaranteed to either hit or get teched since that 1000 frames + whiff ani is just too unbearable to watch.

also @RemiKz you are talking about comboing after regular airthrow using elbowdrop into super right? i forget whether it was possible to continue using j.lp right before you hit the ground or not. pretty sure thats certain heights only though. tough to pull off as well.

No one reacts to BB's command throw because it looks exactly like rush punch.

i dont feel like you should ever use grab bag if theres a possibility it might whiff aka in neutral. i only ever use it for resets where its guaranteed to either hit or get teched since that 1000 frames + whiff ani is just too unbearable to watch.

also @RemiKz you are talking about comboing after regular airthrow using elbowdrop into super right? i forget whether it was possible to continue using j.lp right before you hit the ground or not. pretty sure thats certain heights only though. tough to pull off as well.

In the beta, the air grab was changed to be easier to combo off of with a falling j.LP from a decent height. You can even do stuff like elbow + assist.

The air grab was changed. You can cancel into a normal much earlier and much more consistently. You can even get air grab, j.hk, c.mk, j.mp, j.hk to start your combo if you're high enough.

The only reason to ever use Grab Bag is if you feel like being cheeky. When you're looking for that moment where you can stick your tongue in your cheek and they wag their finger at you and go "you son of a gun".

And then you go back to seriously playing the game.

Reactions: Icky
I use grab bag all the time. I don't know why you guys want more out of it lol Seems fine to me.
Only time it sucks is when you're midscreen. Doing it in the corner still has the opponent in the corner. Only character who can honestly get away properly from being there is valentine. But hey if it somehow gets sliding knockdown then RIP everyone.

landing grab bag while playing ceretoss is the hypest thing ever.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
Sorry I'm writing it here, but I don't know where else I should ask this.
So. In this update it says: "For whoever asked about the alternate voices costing money...those are free, period. They're not even a separate thing, they'll just be included with the game."
Are we talking about Anime Peacock, Valley Girl Painwheel and so on?
If I'm right, does that mean: If I buy those voice packs, the will be in the game forever and I won't be able to change it (voices) back to normal?
I'm really sorry if I'm wrong. I just don't get it.

It means you get them for free. That's all.

If I'm right, does that mean: If I buy those voice packs, the will be in the game forever and I won't be able to change it (voices) back to normal?
I'm really sorry if I'm wrong. I just don't get it.
Nope, pretty sure it's just suppose to be an option you can toggle on and off in the game.

I guess to expand on my last post, since that wasn't really constructive: Giant Step is already unsafe on block, since there aren't any block strings (that I've found, anyways) that don't have a gap in blockstun where the opponent can reversal in between a normal and a L Giant Step. So with this change now L Giant Step is unsafe if they don't push buttons and if they do push buttons. Seems sort of terrible?

Yeah, not exactly super pumped for more big band nerfs, especially on LK and MK giant step (totally understand nerfing HK giant step).

Oh well, I was already defaulting to low/throw mixups with him up-close anyway since Giant Step eats your sound-stun and was already unsafe. The range and disjointed hitbox are nice but you can't hit low from max distance Giant Step anyway.

Overall Thoughts on the Beta Changes

Cerebella - Is a lot more threatening air-to-air with the air throw change, which was probably her biggest weakness. Airthrow hitbox isn't great but 'god enough'.
Fillia - Dunno why anybody was doing airball on block but sure. Scaling change to Fenrir was sorely needed.
Fortune - Nerfs maybe went a *little* too far but I still think people are over reacting. There may be some room for some buffs to the non-dumb parts of her kit but I think we should wait till the Eliza patch.
Painwheel - She gets unfly which will probably help against zoning and DP assists quite a bit, which is great. DHC into Install and her optimized combo damage got nerfed slightly, which was also needed.
Parasoul - Peacock can't argus though Sniper Shot anymore but she could still probably use a little something to help the Peacock matchup and Parasoul mirror to be less dumb but overall I think she's in a good place right now.
Peacock - Is overall less-dumb when she's on defense, so that's nice. MP Bang is still a 1f punish for Parasoul which is kind of a problem, as if she needed more things in that matchup that are difficult for Parasoul to deal with.
Squigly - Now has one more situational defensive tool to work with, which is great, since that's her biggest weakness. IMO she's better than a lot of people give her credit for.
Valentine - Is probably the new queen of the tier-list with Fortune and Filia nerfs but I suppose somebody has to be on top. Her changes are overall pretty small.
Double - Is strangely absent from the change list but I suppose she's in a good place right now.

Last edited:
I guess to expand on my last post, since that wasn't really constructive: Giant Step is already unsafe on block, since there aren't any block strings (that I've found, anyways) that don't have a gap in blockstun where the opponent can reversal in between a normal and a L Giant Step. So with this change now L Giant Step is unsafe if they don't push buttons and if they do push buttons. Seems sort of terrible?
It's an 18 frame overhead that reaches halfway across the screen! If you really need a simple example of a use for it, throw out c.LP then go for low/throw/overhead. Or reset into it. Or use it to hit someone who expects a sweep. And so on. If your opponent mashes out reversals, just stop your blockstring after c.LP or c.MP or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woofly
How much of a useless special is Kanchou?
Can you reversal s.HP xx Kanchou? I would assume your Updo or whatever would go the wrong way and whiff.

Big Bad-Band. Giantess Step, very forward moving anti air grab, much armour, wow. Buff up. Do it.

It's an 18 frame overhead that reaches halfway across the screen! If you really need a simple example of a use for it, throw out c.LP then go for low/throw/overhead. Or reset into it. Or use it to hit someone who expects a sweep. And so on. If your opponent mashes out reversals, just stop your blockstring after c.LP or c.MP or something.
I guess you're right. I liked it better when it was safe though

Reactions: Flotilla
If LK Giant step had less range but was safe on block, that would be a neet way to differentiate LK and MK giant step since they're both pretty similar right now.

Then again, I'm not sure how you'd do that without messing with the art, if you just change the hitboxes it would look weird.

Last edited:
Then again, I'm not sure how you'd do that without messing with the art, if you just change the hitboxes it would look weird.

Doesn't stop Arc System Works.

I realize Lab Zero wouldn't do the same stuff ASW does, just wanted to make that joke.

Posting here as well as the steam beta update section for visibility (sorry I'm impatient for answers). A day late, but I appreciate the auto correcting st mp armor. I was just curious about the reasoning for not having it on lp armor as well. Having it on the mk and bigger buttons would be dumb, so I agree with those not being included. I feel that having it on lp armor would be fine, especially when it comes to squigs divekicks, as they cross up a lot and its hard to find the frames for armor startup on mp for that pressure, so I usually go with lp, only for it to get crossed up, for both standing and crouching armor. Same deal with other character's faster crossup options such as bella's j lk and filia j hk. Looking forward to your response

With HK giant step having an easily-reactable startup and a long recovery, it would be nice if you had the ability to feign it so it had some mixup utility... what do you guys think, too good?

I haven't tested this yet because I just thought of it and its 5 am, but does the hitstun on the head start ticking down right when the head is hit by a launcher or as soon as it touches the ground again?

I haven't tested this yet because I just thought of it and its 5 am, but does the hitstun on the head start ticking down right when the head is hit by a launcher or as soon as it touches the ground again?
I think it's when it hits the ground, because HK Giant Step combos the head forever, but that's two different situations...

man why don't we just give everyone a gun
3 out of 9 isn't a bad start.

4 if you count finger guns.

I will sorely miss Giant Step.

What happened to giant step?

- MK Giant Step +1f recovery; HK Giant Step +8f recovery; Giant Steps on block -6/-8/-8 -> -10/-14/-22. On hit is unchanged.

Reactions: Dime
Making it somewhat punishable. At minus 8 on block meant that if hit by the end of it you could only perfectly time 3f of dashing into a 5f jab to punish lol

Reactions: Dime