• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls References/Easter Eggs Thread

Shamash-Nui

Whaler Master
Reaction score
Filia Squigly
Hello, I didn't found a threat like this into the forum, so I am making now.

I like a lot skullgirls, and as well as the plenty of references/tributes/easter eggs in the game, so I will like to discuss about that.
In order to start, I make this little video of the references I found about videogames:

Nice video, thanks for making it. I recognized some moves from other games but I didn't realise there were so many references. I also noticed several that weren't in the video (obviously there are a lot more) :

- Parasoul's s.hk - Ryu's Joudan Sokutou Geri (from 3rd Strike)
- Cerebella's elbow drop - Tager's elbow drop (from Blazblue)
- Peacock's s.hk - Charlie Brown's football gag

Also, Mike recently posted a list of moves similar / inspired from MvC :
Oh dang, you noticed. :^P
Cable s.Fierce -> Peacock s.HP
Grenade -> Tear Toss
AHVB x3 -> Argus x3
Psyblade assist -> Updo
Captain Corridor assist -> Napalm Pillar
Flight -> Painwheel
Scimitar -> Squigly DP
Juggernaut Punch -> Brass Knuckles
BH Inferno ("pillar") assist -> Shadow of Impending Doom
HSF -> Motor Brigade
Oroboros -> Cat Heads
Rocks assist -> Twirl
Headcrush -> SSJ
Berserker Barrage -> Cat Scratch Fever
Hyper Schw' -> Eliza's Lv3 (closest we're getting)
and double snaps, obviously.

Some of the less obvious ones...
Berserker Claw -> Savage Bypass
Summers Family Roundhouse -> Cerebella j.HK (her honorary last name is Summers, heheheheh. Nobody ever asked what it was.)
IM infinite -> Val's B&B ;^)
Hailstorm -> Silent Scope

Still missing drones, drill, rocket punch, superman grab, and Dancing Swords (hahahaha probably not that one).

Titan Knuckle is Potemkin 6H, though.

Maybe not intentional (or maybe teddie got it from someone else) but Eliza's jHK reminds me a lot of Teddie's Puppet Bear (moves backwards, creates large hitbox in front).

Nice video, thanks for making it. I recognized some moves from other games but I didn't realise there were so many references. I also noticed several that weren't in the video (obviously there are a lot more) :

- Parasoul's s.hk - Ryu's Joudan Sokutou Geri (from 3rd Strike)
- Cerebella's elbow drop - Tager's elbow drop (from Blazblue)
- Peacock's s.hk - Charlie Brown's football gag

Also, Mike recently posted a list of moves similar / inspired from MvC :

Thanks!

All this confirmations are very interesting, when I made the video I didn't realise all of that.

P.S: For all memes and pop culture references, I found this page:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Videogame/Skullgirls

Maybe not intentional (or maybe teddie got it from someone else) but Eliza's jHK reminds me a lot of Teddie's Puppet Bear (moves backwards, creates large hitbox in front).
I think I remember Mike referencing Baiken's J.D way back when.

I agree with all of those in the video except Pleasure Lash, they dont really look similar at all

Just realized that "This is true love we're making" and "This is Tuna with Bacon" are referencing the song from Capcom vs SNK2

Just realized that "This is true love we're making" and "This is Tuna with Bacon" are referencing the song from Capcom vs SNK2
give this guy a metal. a metal made out of tuna bacon

but nah this is like one of the more famous fighting game songs because people mishear the lyrics from This is true love we're making to this is tuna with bacon. so silly and yet very catchy.

Reactions: Broseidon Rex
If I were to compile an actual list it would take a very long time, so just going to do off the top of my head.

Killing with a super results in the flash of the dead character's face like JJBA
TubaTubaTubaTuba, Band's level 5 time stop, Val's scalpels and the steamroller Peacock can drop are all JJBA references.

Beowulf has Talbain's Beast Cannon and even does the appropriate howls, his taunt is Talbain's Moment Slice and his "Gigantic Arm" is Slayer's Dead on Time, which is why some people call it Dead Arm Time.
Peacock's taunt is Tenrai Ha, and appropriately forces her Tenrai Ha drop.
Parasoul's level 3 is a super B.B. Hood has.

Robo-Fortune
Her button lay out works similarly to a Guilty Gear character's in general
MP is Makoto's MP
c.MP is Robo-Ky's
HK is Robo-Ky's Dust
j.HK is Robo-Ky's j.D
c.HK is similar to Robo-Ky's c.D
Has a Det mode, like Robo-Ky
Has Proton Cannon
Has Tager's Magnetism
Taunt input is Dan's suicide, because she's depressed.

Big Band has Q's drop kick, was the initial character with a taunt effect, has parried and shares a few other things with Q including that wonderful red color.

Squigly's taunt is the input for Shun Goku Setsu/Raging Demon, and we all know what else she shares in that regard. She uses Johnny's stance cancel mechanic and is far more patience based than most of SG's cast, much like Johnny is for Guilty Gear.

give this guy a metal. a metal made out of tuna bacon
Metal is metal, friend. Perhaps a medal made of tuna bacon?

his "Gigantic Arm" is Slayer's Dead on Time, which is why some people call it Dead Arm Time.
Functionally it's Dead on Time, visually it's the Arm move thing. Gigantic Arm? Robotic Arm? I dunno.

Functionality is more important to what I think of a move as.

Yes they are, it's a very pretty game, but if I'm going to refer to a move as something function trumps visuals.

Queue Mike or someone pointing out where I didn't do that in my list. Like not iterating Robo's MP is also Slash like.

Eliza's snap is Testament's dust.