• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Stage & Background Discussion

Okay so, It's apparently confirmed that Brain Drain is from Motherland Russia.
I mean, look at the signs that is supporting Robo-Fortune.
Oh boy, @Shockdingo, your dreams came true all of the sudden
Iiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiinterestiiiiiiiiiiing. I'll have to experiment...haw...get it?! Cause...he...*cough*

Reactions: North888
Choo choo, all aboard the TRAIN STAGE
vYQTsQS.png
Good things come to those who wait.

We finally get to see what the rest of New Meridian City looks like.
This is such an amazing surprise.

Reactions: Shockdingo
For anyone wondering, the Hype Train is a direct reference to ZONE's IGG animation from back in the Waifu Wars days: http://zone-archive.com/tmp/hype_train.html

And the train stage is Robo Fortune's. Not all stages are specifically character related. Squigly's stages are New Meridian Rooftops and Rooftops Assault for example.

For anyone wondering, the Hype Train is a direct reference to ZONE's IGG animation from back in the Waifu Wars days: http://zone-archive.com/tmp/hype_train.html

And the train stage is Robo Fortune's. Not all stages are specifically character related. Squigly's stages are New Meridian Rooftops and Rooftops Assault for example.
Ah, thanks for the information!
EDIT: Holy crap. Didn't notice how large the stage would be! Bang Kemaro and Render definitely showed many parts of it and all I can say is; Holy ****, The stage's so huge. (Also, Filia's on the background.)

Last edited:
In order: Umbrella, Feng, Aeon, Venus, Minette, Roxie, Annie, Black Dahlia, Scythana, ???, Marie, Mrs. Victoria, Isaac, Beatrix, Stanley, Talisen, Ileum, Panzerfaust, Leduc, Molly, Adam?, Hive, Brain Drain

I can't make out who's behind Scythana, and Adam is purely based on his hair.

There's a couple of the IGGs that don't appear to be on the train, like Mega Samson.

EDIT: Woops, Brain Drain, not Hive!

Last edited:
And miss out on what is possibly the only opportunity to see Scythana in the game? I think not.

As much as I can gel with this sentiment, it would be like 20 times funnier if they stayed paper cutouts.
'Sides, the proportions aren't right for that to be the real Scythana anyways.

Reactions: PKStoopKid
As much as I can gel with this sentiment, it would be like 20 times funnier if they stayed paper cutouts.
'Sides, the proportions aren't right for that to be the real Scythana anyways.
Neither are panzerfaust's. But honestly I wouldn't really like keeping the paper cutouts just for humors sake.

eeee wow this looks top notch!

~it also totally reminded me of that would've-been train super... do you think they'll eventually make it a thing?

Neither are panzerfaust's.

Yeah, that's
that's the point I was making.
None of the characters are proportioned correctly which would seem to insinuate that they're not meant to be anything more than paper cutouts, if they were to represent the actual characters it wouldn't make sense. That and the paper cutouts seem to be already in 3D and not temp sketches the way that animations are when they're in early stages.

The 3D stages handle all 2D assets as 3D shapes. These cutouts are no more 3D than most of the NPCs in other stages.

And really, you expect Skullgirls to cut corners by putting doodle cuts outs of popular characters in a thing like this? I would be reaaaally shocked if these doodles are not fully finished before Robo is released.

I also like how the issue of character proportions is the part that doesn't make sense here in a situation where a rocket powered train materializes on the tracks with random characters from the Skullgirls universe - including the Skullgirl - and is driven by a character that is apparently dead for thousands of years.

I also like how the issue of character proportions is the part that doesn't make sense here in a situation where a rocket powered train materializes on the tracks with random characters from the Skullgirls universe - including the Skullgirl - and is driven by a character that is apparently dead for thousands of years.
Oh god, that needs far more theory than a normal theorist can expect. We need @FunkyHellboy here A.S.A.P
On Topic.
Feng and Umbrella looks pissed. What gives?

They're on the way for their own spin off game, where Parasoul is denied her own character slot.

All aboard the Stanley train, choo choo!

Finally, Stanley gets the attention he deserves.

So that really was the hype train? Awesome! That would be hilarious if the hype train song popup for a fraction of second when the train appears only to cut when it goes away!

Also really great stage overall! I was expecting something simpler and/or more depressing since it's robo-fortune we are talking about.

With that train and the Beowulf stage banners, that's a good amount of representation for the unimplemented character, so maybe someone will eventually understand the message and throw a big bag of money at LabZero!

Last edited:
Feng and Umbrella looks pissed. What gives?

Could just be wind in their eyes. 'Cause, you know. Train.

Also, RE proportion weirdness: There's a literal space-goddess at the front of the train. A little external size compression shouldn't be too much trouble.

[EDIT] Alternatively? Cosplayers for the Long Con at the end of space and time...

Hype Train and all things related to it on the stage was probably intended for suspension of disbelief similar to the Beowulf intro.

Reactions: Shockdingo
I mean I just figured that the current models for characters on the train were just placeholders. The relative size of their models might change as they clean it up since characters like Feng and Venus seem to be "normal" size. It might just be a cramped train ride what with all the potential characters that are riding it.

Reactions: Wenzel
I'm pretty sure they'll replace the cutouts its just I find that B.D funny. And @Cellsai I would say dimension train driven by zombie goddess is believable not salty umbrella chilling at the front Annie should hold up a sign with the letters DDB or at least write it on the foggy glass

If I had one issue with the new stage (which looks phenomenal) I'd say characters should be lit more brightly when outside on the train.

Looks a bit dim for being day time compared to the sun half of meridian rooftops.

Reactions: TechPowah
My only concern about the train stage is about the performances on some PC configs. I also wonder how it would look like with 2D backgrounds.

If I had one issue with the new stage (which looks phenomenal) I'd say characters should be lit more brightly when outside on the train.

Looks a bit dim for being day time compared to the sun half of meridian rooftops.

WIP Stage.

Reactions: Denizen
How many fighting game train stages are actually on a moving train? SF3's doesn't count because interior.

The 3D stages handle all 2D assets as 3D shapes. These cutouts are no more 3D than most of the NPCs in other stages.

They're not just 3D shapes, they move as 3D shapes and wiggle around like paper cutouts would move inside of a moving train, hell they're even lit more like flat objects than something that's meant to eventually be 3D. Normally wip objects look like sketchy versions of the regular objects but with a white background and outline, but these look more intentional and, well,
like this

Not to mention that Aeon, Venus, Umbrella, and Feng were apparently finished enough to be entirely done but none of the characters in the train look to be finished in the slightest.

I think the paper cutouts are just a gag based on how the wip characters normally look and that they're not going to change.

How many fighting game train stages are actually on a moving train? SF3's doesn't count because interior.
There have been a bunch, but I can't remember them all. I know for sure that SNK has done a few. One of my favorites was Terry's stage from Garou. I think he might have had another train stage in the past too.
Doesn't take anything away from the awesomeness of seeing the Canopy Kingdom in motion though!

My only concern about the train stage is about the performances on some PC configs. I also wonder how it would look like with 2D backgrounds.
My guess is that it'll be like the rest of the 2D backgrounds: a single static image.

NightPhyre is right, it's a flat picture. If you're in 2D we must assume you're doing it for performance reasons, so that's what you get.

That would be hilarious if the hype train song popup for a fraction of second when the train appears only to cut when it goes away!
It's a real song with licensing fees, not something made for the flash animation, so that is never ever going to happen.