• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Team Building Thread

Who is a good partner for Valentine?

In terms of 3 character teams, is Valentine, Squigly, and Ms. Fortune still viable?

Play who you like, go from there. You can play Peacock, Painwheel, Valentine if you want.

It wouldn't be very good tho

Ahem.
Big Band/Peacock
Fortune/Fukua/Elliza

I finally broke.

Reactions: fenster
Ben is pretty good with George covering him. I mean, I could be better but it's a slow improvement.

I can't believe you're leaving off Peacock/Eliza/Beowulf

Team Nebraska Furniture Mart is your strongest team!

Hello, My team is Valentine, fukua, and Cerebella.
assists are:
Val: H bypass
Fukua: H drill
Bella: Excellabella

Could I be using better assists (in terms of the characters I'm currently using)?

Hello, My team is Valentine, fukua, and Cerebella.
assists are:
Val: H bypass
Fukua: H drill
Bella: Excellabella

Could I be using better assists (in terms of the characters I'm currently using)?
Looks good to me!

Just make sure that you prioritize your vials to make Excellabella worth it.

Here's her 3 vial load combos from any hit:

Really good.
The only thing to consider is putting Cerebella second to give her the safe DHC into Fireball Super while Bella those 50/50 mix ups from any blocked assist.

Like JMP + Drill H assist gives you cLK / MGR when they leave block stun, and even if they pushblock you out you can dash back in while the assist holds them in place.

Anchor Fukua might be worse than Bella though.

Okay im gonna say im scrubby as fuck, so i honestly dont understand what you meant about jmp+drill h assist.
Also yeah i prefer to keep bella in back, as she is my worst character atm as i struggle with doing her combos consistently and i dont really know what to do with her resets wise. But, this is the team i want to play, so i stick with it.
I will say sometimes i feel like i have a hard time opening someone up.

By j.MP+H Drill assist Skarmand is just saying that you do Bella's j.MP (jumping medium punch) while calling Fukua's assist at the same time. This puts the opponent in the perfect position for a low/command throw mixup with cr.LK (crouching light kick) or MGR.

If Bella is your worst character then you should try playing her in front or playing her solo as the only way to get better is to practice (you also get some experience playing your team out of order). If you want some ideas for resets then you can look at the Bella Resets thread or Dragonos451's youtube videos on her resets (he has an intermediate and advanced one on his channel). Just skim through the thread/video and note down any resets that you like the look of that you will be able to do.

Hello! I'm just stopping by to get some suggestions for building my team, ATM I run Eliza (h spiral) and squigly (Cr. HP) and I can play them in either order. I was wondering who you guys would think would be a good third character to work into this team~

Okay im gonna say im scrubby as fuck, so i honestly dont understand what you meant about jmp+drill h assist.
I will say sometimes i feel like i have a hard time opening someone up.
Basically jMP is a really good normal and so is jHK and jLK.
Any time Cerebella hits someone with these air normals, good players will be looking to pushblock her out so that she can't get any mix up from those air hits.

If you do these air hits and they are blocked but then you call Drill H Assist however...
Your opponent will pushblock you out and be held in place long enough for the Drill H Assist to run into them and hold them in place again.
If they try and pushblock H Drill it doesn't push you back at all, so even though you were pushblocked out you can still dash back in.

After they leave blockstun from H Drill, you can do cLK (Low) or MGR (Cmd Grab) for a simple completely unreactable 50/50 mix up from a really good air normal.

Hi someone tell me the best assist for Eliza(?)/Robo(H.Beam)/Parasoul(H.Pillar) pls
M/H Sekh, Diveguy, Spiral, Couch, whatever all look reasonable in some way or another?

Hello! I'm just stopping by to get some suggestions for building my team, ATM I run Eliza (h spiral) and squigly (Cr. HP) and I can play them in either order. I was wondering who you guys would think would be a good third character to work into this team~
B i g
B a n d

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Hi someone tell me the best assist for Eliza(?)/Robo(H.Beam)/Parasoul(H.Pillar) pls
M/H Sekh, Diveguy, Spiral, Couch, whatever all look reasonable in some way or another?
SF runs H Spiral because it adds tons of chip to Robo's zoning and makes her sHK safe and gives midscreen combos from it since it lasts so long if it does hit.

if you want to ascend to true fuzzysnugs you can run double/squig/eliza its a good team. Eliza is a strong anchor character (though point eliza works too of course but its a bit harder), and squigly IMO in a trio is only really good 2nd. So optimally you would want a point character that takes advantage of squigly/eliza assists and has good dhcs into squigly. Double fits this role very well but depending on your playstyle you have a lot of options.

Hi, thread. I'm thinking of running a team with point Big Band.

I'm thinking Big Band/Robo Fortune/Parasoul or Big Band/Parasoul/Robo Fortune, with H Brass, H Beam, and L Shot or Egret Charge for assists.

Opinions? Suggestions? Recommended order? Better assist choices?

I've labbed it out a little to find out what Big Band gets out of those assist choices, but I don't really know what R. Fortune or Parasoul get out of the assists I picked.

Your assists seem a little redundant. L shot is fantastic, but you already have H beam, so I would go for Napalm pillar. If you're going for point band, then I would say Robo should be second since she needs the assists more than Parasoul.
Be cautious when Robo and Parasoul are coming in when a character dies, as their options aren't the best.

I was wondering what eliza needs as a point character?
I wanted to make a team using less popular characters, such as ms fortune and painwheel, but wanted eliza because I rarely play her.
Would eliza fortune PW be a decent team? And what assists would be most applicable?

I was wondering what eliza needs as a point character?
I wanted to make a team using less popular characters, such as ms fortune and painwheel, but wanted eliza because I rarely play her.
Would eliza fortune PW be a decent team? And what assists would be most applicable?
If you want all three of those, do PW, Fortune, Eliza. Eliza doesn't need anything and works best as anchor out of all three of those. She can benefit from a lot of things. PW needs a DP and Fortune loves a good lockdown. So something like PW(anything like L pinion, or cr.mp)/MF(H fiber)/Eliza(Butcher's blade).

I've been playing skull girls for like 5 days now. This is the team I usually go with, but I don't know what the heck I'm doing, like at all.

1st. Beowulf (nosebleed seat)
2nd squiggly (cremation)
3rd. Big Band Brass knuckles

I've been playing skull girls for like 5 days now. This is the team I usually go with, but I don't know what the heck I'm doing, like at all.

2nd squiggly (cremation)
Yo this team works perfectly fine. You can use nosebleed seat or H Chair Toss. Completely your preference. If you want to keep this team order, nosebleed seat works perfectly fine. If you want Squig/Beo/BB, I would suggest H chair toss.

Reactions: Chainz
hi guys!! i was wondering if anyone knew of any good characters that would go well with painwheel! i would like to start building a team and im getting pretty good with painwheel.. someone i was thinking about adding was filia! would they work well together?

2nd squiggly (cremation)
If you're new I suggest playing solo instead of trio. Solo is easier for learning how to play in the beginning, as you have more health and deal more damage vs duos and trios. Solo is also good for learning to play characters as well as their matchups because you don't have any assists to rely on. So pick a character you like and play + train them. Personally I feel like trio is incredibly hard to play well, and that duo is probably the easiest to play given you can play 2 characters. Just my advice.,

hi guys!! i was wondering if anyone knew of any good characters that would go well with painwheel! i would like to start building a team and im getting pretty good with painwheel.. someone i was thinking about adding was filia! would they work well together?
Try it out and see what happens. The best way to see if you like something/it works is to just do it, especially in a game like this where basically everything is viable.

Both characters I'd say are air rushdown/pressure focused, and if you can do any Painwheel combos then you shouldn't have a problem with Fillia combos. Good assists would probably be Fillia's Updo (her DP) and maybe Painwheel's c.MP (Cruel Lilly, I think?). I don't play these characters though~

Suggestions for Val/ Bella / BB?

for assists? something irrelevant/heavy LnL/one of the BE (I forget which on you want).

If you don't need the horizontal assist, excellabella gives you free vial loads.

Reactions: Wenzel
They would. So would parasoul, fortune, peacock, robo, and bella.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Bella gets some conversion with H bypass, use that for her.

Excellebella also allows you to get a taunt midcombo with bigband and command grab/assist setups with both val and band, I would just use copter for the overall utility tho (it also lets you charge a vial midcombo).

and yeah, beat extend.

You'll want m beat extend. It's more reliable for super/throw conversions and still functions good as both anti air and a reversal. Only draw back is it's slower.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Bella gets a midscreen conversion off of Dynamo and DDrop from H Bypass and Band gets a full screen conversion off of H step with it as well (and probably something else). I don't see much point going for Val's other assists over H bypass since neither character gets that much off them.

As for Bella and Band assists, I personally would go for H LnL and L/M BE but if you are confident in your ability to anti-air as Val and don't feel like you need an invincible DP assist then Excellabella, H Brass would also be good.

It's my team! Sort of! I played LBeat, MBeat, and now I play HBrass.

If you don't play MBeat, play HBrass.

Val/MBeat
Otherwise, yes, MBeat. It's fantastic for Valentine too due to the extra blockstun it incurs.
The range is lovely for conversions from sHK in neutral.
The vacuum allows you to set up some nasty ambiguous corner crossups by calling it during sHP in a blockstring (to make space to pull the opponent towards you.)
It's also beneficial during some air left/right resets to keep people from pressing buttons all over you and gives you a nice alpha counter in situations where Valentine's supers are sub par for escaping.
I believe you can do cHP into Vial Load+MBeat in the event that Excellabella has passed away or you preferred to use HLnL instead, which is a very good assist for Val and Big Band too. Pick up off the otg with sLK.

Overall, Val/MBeat is solid and also easy to apply. It won't buff your damage a ton, but Excella or HLnL is what that is for, either via poison or raw, hard hitting starters and counterhits from HLnL being used to smack people for trying to press buttons. You'll have strong and annoying offense with this assist.

Band/HBypass
Conversions from HStep are indeed real with HStep > otg MBrass + HBypass > sLP (other normals work too, this is super reliable)
Similar things work from throw if you like charging to combo off throw already (L or MBrass + HBypass) but if you want to use giant step, that probably works too.
I've tried Big Band Level 3 > otg LStep+HBypass > sLP successfully in matches before midscreen to pick up after reversal level 3.

You will not get a combo after SSJ that I'm aware of without spending another meter on Dynamo > otg fHP + HBypass, however, you will get otg HStep + HBypass as a way to get extra damage either before a secondary SSJ or in the case you do not have the meter for another but could use the damage. DHC if you have the 2 meters though unless it's a case like SSJ > EKG that might whiff.

cHP's sound stun is a very reliable and practical way to set up L or MBrass + HBypass into high damage combos, resets, and even a side switch (cHP > EBrake+HBypass > jump jMK side switch restand > convert into a full combo.)

Overall, BB/HBypass is really cool. I do some things that AREN'T as smart with it, like fish for MBrass and try to call it if I think the opponent will block it, so that Val will push them back or give me a combo on hit, but if they jump, hahahaha. I should calm down. I don't find using it hard with BB by ANY MEANS. cMK is your other valid assist though, it is still strong for Bella and Band since they both have high options in their mix up game and Bella has Kanchou's feint.

Band/Excellabella
If you can taunt, do it. This is free damage city. You have double taunt corner combos (timpani before last chain, last chain into excella, taunt, HK ATrain, taunted SSJ.)
You have a very simple combo to outright melt a healthbar for no effort with a followup near the corner. Blah blah cHP Excellabella+Taunt HKATrain Taunted SSJ > Dynamo. Works best near the corner in general to help connect Dynamo after the last hit of taunt SSJ.
If you're a person who likes hard knockdown, you can still have that, and taunt. So why not?

Overall, this is not a bad pairing by any means, but if you suck at taunt, either get good, or if you can't, consider another assist like HLnL or Copter.

Bella/HBypass
An amazing combination but some of the best rewards require some practice, such as the conversion from Dynamo with otg fHP + HBypass. This is like Band/Excella, play it if you can do it reliably. It's worth it, but honestly, it's not if you drop it. Nothing is.

Be creative, this isn't just for conversions off Dynamo and Diamond Drop. It can simplify a lot of situations. I don't do cLK cMP cHP jLPxN jHP after MGR when I have this assist available, nor do I attempt the cLK cMK jMP jHK conversion. I do cLK cMP LLnL + HBypass > cMK jMP jHK. It's great!
You can convert off midscreen throw with, I believe, otg L/MLnL+HBypass and/or otg Battle Butt + HBypass.
sHP combos into MLnL, making sHP MLnL+HBypass a heavy hitting starter or extender. You can likely find resets from it as well.

Overall, excellent, but not always easy for the things that you really run this for if you don't put in some time.

Bella/MBeat, well, watch Mike Z. Enjoy your safe battle butts!

For Val/Excellabella, look at various places. The first notable user that always comes to mind is s0meperson.
Sage toyed with this team and has an entire video on it.
People like Scott Whale have made videos for combos using this assist.
Peek around on the forums.

In the event you choose other assists..

Bella and Band with Val cMK is straightforward. Less utility but you won't be dropping HBypass.

Val with HLnL goes to Fedora Ninja and a variety of other players who messed with it, including me. Learn the sHP XBypass (H is great!) + HLnL starter and learn to call it to cover crossup resets from rejumps (and even same side ones, of course.) You'll be doing frontloaded damage and it will hurt.

Band with HLnL, I believe Mike Z also toys with this? Drewski, IIRC, uses MLnL, however.

Bella with Brass, I forget who actually plays this team, but you can find it if you look around. Be prepared to vomit damage and do almost whatever you want.
You lose conversions that MBeat would give you, but if you have HBypass, this is of little concern depending upon your execution, considering HBypass is more reliable for some stuff. MBeat still does some things HBypass doesn't though, it's not simply better in every regard when it comes to conversions.
You will plow through characters with this team. Pummel horse is your practical conversion but Kanchou and some other tools exist to convert from it depending on the situation.
Don't be afraid to use similar tools you find with HBypass here. cMP LLnL + HBrass near the corner > dash cMK / dash sLP / dash jLP (Grab Bag reset, hue) can be used to convert.
Go for command grabs behind this thing. Just do it. Just go on the offense and cover it with HBrass.

Valentine with Brass.. is so much better than I thought. I wanted it to be great. Then I didn't like it and now I love it.
It's not HLnL. You do and do not use it like HLnL. It requires some creativity to say the least.
I feel HLnL is easier and more straightforward when it comes to frontloading your damage, but HBRASS HITS LIKE A TRUCK SO IT'S WORTH IT IF YOU CAN DO IT.
It also sets up some crazy resets right after all the damage hits. And you have Brass. Enjoy countercalling. Val is also capable of protecting it, as big as BB is and as much recovery as this has.
If you run my team, prepare to spend poison and meter. Just spend them on poisoned Val+HBrass starters into EKG > Dynamo > whatever. Your opponents will bleed and suffer.
This is an annoying pairing to contest.

sHP + HBrass > L or MBypass > jLX and then anything is my go to starter.
HBypass is, IMO, not worth it, but try it anyways.
If you land HBrass at the right ranges, or do the poison/shuriken starter midscreen or get shuriken+HBrass, do TK jHBypass to convert.
sHP > Shuriken/Vial Toss + HBrass > TK jHBypass [optional jMBypass] > do whatever you like.

Val/Copter is standard and practical fare. I'm sure you can figure this out/find someone who plays it.
Band/Copter seems the same. Apply your pressure.

TLDR;
HBypass/Excella/MBeat
HBypass/Excella/HBrass
HBypass/HLnL (MLnL...?)/MBeat

Or any of those but cMK instead of HBypass (but moreso on the MBeat teams so you still have something for conversions.)
And Copter is strong and not to be ignored.

We should play sometime! Mirrors!!

And then I remembered that highlights don't work from edits and I forgot to do that.. please.. no one.. hurt me..

@Wenzel

I've been playing Squigly and Fukua since I've started and been playing a pretty aggressive game for as long as I could remember.
(Going by Akuma rules: Focusing only on attacking, Not giving much mind to anything else.)

When I'm not playing solo with one or the other,
Squigly comes first since playing her as the leader means I could get a charge that much sooner and she works pretty darn well with back-up. It let's her get in and do her close combat shenanigans. =)

Fukua comes second since she has some pretty great back-up moves For Squigly that Let's her get in like her Drill and for the fact that she is a reeeeeeeeeally great character to fall back on since she could hold her own in whatever match-up you throw her in. n_n

Though saying that,
I don't have a "Solid" Third party member.
I just switch my characters to whatever I need at the time.
(Like Final Fantasy sorta)

If I need something quick and to the point that's able to get-in in a flash:
Val or Fillia

Something To play keep away:
Parasoul or Peacock

If I become too predicable then:
Eliza or Ms.Fortune

So on and so on =)