• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Skullgirls Team Building Thread

I need a 3rd character as anchor for peacock/painwheel I've gotten suggestions such as BigBand H Brass and Beowulf H chair chuck but like what about pillar and shot or bomber(don't know the difference in versions except height) Updo(anchor Filia?) H Bypass(no)
Parasoul's generally not considered a good anchor cause of how free she is on incoming. Her level 3 is pretty good but you need to touch the ground which isn't always easy. Her assists are great tho.

Differences between Hornet Bombers:
H goes the furthest but has no invincibility
M goes about half screen and has invincibility until the active frames start
L goes nowhere but has full invincibility

Peacock probably wants the H version of Hornet Bomber. I've used both M and H in the past and I think H is the best for her, although it's not as good for your other character, Painwheel.

@WingZero makes anchor Filia work but I have no idea how. Updo is a good assist but Peacock and Painwheel both have trouble converting off it.

Your anchor would be soul, band or wulf.

Mind you that soul is primarily a point character. A character that is strongest when augmented by a team

Band is a character that can die for making the wrong guess but gets heavily rewarded for making the right choice. You could say the ultimate dice roll.

Double is your typical anchor and handle herself well but generally struggles in landing a hit against a patient person.

And anchor filia is not an option you either run her point or mid. Anchor typically does nothing for her. While it was passable with j.hk being an overhead it certainly wont help her now.

Tl:dr if you want consistent sources to land hits then pick soul

If you like to make good choices and get instantly rewarded then pick band

If you want to have a solid anchor with decent amount of tools and a lvl5? Then pick double.

Go to training and figure out which character will stick.

@mcpeanuts
He plays duo with parasoul point and anchor filia. The point builds meter and can land consistent hits in neutral unlike filia

Band is a character that can die for making the wrong guess but gets heavily rewarded for making the right choice. You could say the ultimate dice roll.
I keep hearing this but I don't agree with it at all. You can play super safe and super lame with Big Band and still get results.

Reactions: fenster
You could try. But on block you have to make a choice. And if you choose wrong you die. Augmented by the fact he gets overheaded so much the smarter big bands will block high but makes him easy to get killed by lows.

The only thing big bands have to do is upback but that loses to a sudden airgrab or a chickenblock setup. I'm not saying he's just a big gamble but he gets rewarded as equally as he is punished and his size just augments options for the attacker to focus on.

Sooner or later band has to make a choice and whether they like it or not if they guess wrong then band becomes pretty managable to kill.

Of course i only play against the character and dont play him(yet). So i will cease my points and let you take over.

I mean if you're on defense you have to make a read. That's everyone though, it isn't unique to Big Band. At neutral you can play super read heavy with A-Train and H Giant Step and random reversals but you don't really have to do that. Cymbals, j.LK, and L Brass are all really good tools that are safe or plus on block. Most characters you can outzone once you're at the range where your pokes will hit at max range.

Reactions: Cadenza
M goes about half screen and has invincibility until the active frames start
That hasn't been the case since Eliza update. It lost all its invincible frames.

@WingZero makes anchor Filia work but I have no idea how. Updo is a good assist but Peacock and Painwheel both have trouble converting off it.
I agree with Claws to an extent because Filia really shines when she has an assist behind her. Normally something that helps her neutral game or a get in assist. In annoying matchups like Peacock I'll sub Filia on point or just when I'm playing someone whose bad against mixups. For me it's mostly just I feel comfortable w/ her as my anchor because I've played her solo for so long losing Parasoul doesn't really mess me up at all. Team order is all a matter of preference really. What do you want out of this character first/second/third on your team. DHC's/assist etc. If you work on it you can make just about anything in this game work.

Reactions: gllt
i just dont like being on defense with band fearing things like fuzzy gaurds and close MGR besides that hes a cool dude

Hi.

I have quite a few teams, but i'm not sure if i'm using the right assists for them(If that makes sesne)

Main team: Eliza (H Osiris), Squigly (cHP)

Sub Teams: Filia (Hairball HK), Painwheel (I don't remember the name but it's her assist only move)
Peacock (BANG!), Double(H Bomber)

Solos:Eliza
Double
Painwheel

I don't like my Filia/Pain team because I don' think the really work together. I'd make another team for Painwheel but I don't know who to play her with, Suggestions?
I'm open to learning new characters but I will not learn Big Band or Beo

Main team: Eliza (H Osiris), Squigly (cHP)
This team's solid

Sub Teams: Filia (Hairball HK), Painwheel (I don't remember the name but it's her assist only move)
It's called Pinion Dash. I don't think Filia gets anything off Pinion Dash. It's a good assist for being able to convert off hits you normally can't, like Big Band's Super Sonic Jazz, but I don't think Filia has anything like that. Maybe once upon a time it would have been useful to convert meterlessly off throw but with the buff to Filia's drill that's not necessary anymore.

None of Painwheel's assists are super useful for Filia tbh. This team would probably work better in the opposite order where you could set Filia's assist to Updo or c.MK (Hairball is okay I guess but I'd use c.MK before that since it hits low).

Peacock (BANG!), Double(H Bomber)
I have actually used BANG! (normally called M Gun because the naming scheme for that series of moves is tough to remember) as an assist. The hitbox on it isn't great and it's difficult to convert off (Double could maybe do something with Monster to get a combo off it? I'm not sure, the last time I tested it she didn't have that move). Better assist options would be either of Peacock's default assists, L Bomb, M Bomb, or s.HP. I would go with s.HP personally, it's useful for getting better mixups when Double's j.HP is blocked or for Flesh Step crossups or just as a neutral assist cause it's also a projectile.

Otherwise I think this team is pretty good. And honestly it's a minor complaint since if things are going according to plan you're not going to be calling Peacock as an assist much anyways.

I don't like my Filia/Pain team because I don' think the really work together. I'd make another team for Painwheel but I don't know who to play her with, Suggestions?
Well, you could...
I'm open to learning new characters but I will not learn Big Band or Beo
=/ ok. No boys allowed, I see how it is.

Again I think the Filia/Painwheel team would work okay if you reverse the order. Otherwise... Painwheel's assists aren't all that amazing, but she can be useful when played 2nd or 3rd if you play her for DHC into Hatred Install, which is actually pretty good. Of the characters you already named this would really only be useful with Double.

L Pinion works well for Filia, helps her neutral and allows for more damaging combos

L pinion works very nicely, it's no h lnl, but it starts up faster, has a better disjointed hitboxes, goes about as far, and has an outrageous amount of hitstun. Also, if you manage to get a airdash confirm into jhk (jlk jhk/ jlp jlk jhk), you can call it and do another jhk for more initial damage. Or if in the corner and pinion hits, jhk adc jhp jhk land cr mp st hp launch jlp jhp jhk xx h hairball into mixup/restand. This stuff does a very nice amount for relatively low undizzy. Other applications include counter calling midscreen and then ringlet spiking the assist after to keep their stuff locked out for a while.

Sort of figured out what needs to be done.
I know I will be able to play Parasoul and Ms. Fortune for sure...
The third characters I will go for will be in between Robo-Fortune, Big Band and Fukua. I still need to get a handle on Fukua's and Robo-Fortune's combos. Robo-Fortune seems to be a rather versatile character with strong long-range options.

If you plan on robo then the team would be

Fortune/robo/soul using the following

Cat slide or fiber h/h theonite/pillar.

This is the balanced version of the team that allows and augments fortune's superb ground game

If big band then

Fortune/soul/bigband

Using catslide or fiber h/lshot/beatextend.

Once again a team that caters to everyone and l shot just augments fortune's ground game. Both headless and head on.

Fukua you got two team comp possibly three.
Fukua/fortune/soul

Fortune/fukua/soul

Or soul/fortune/fukua

If you use fukua point then its

H drill/ fiber h / lshot
l shot helps both fukua and fortune

Fortune point will using h drill and pillar instead
same with soul point.

From my past experience of using fortune i would recommend fortune point team or fukua point team.

Currently playing Beowulf/Parasoul/Double and I'm debating whether to switch to Parasoul on point. I realize Beowulf's defense on incoming is way better but I really like having Pillar for him. Is it worth it?

Currently playing Beowulf/Parasoul/Double and I'm debating whether to switch to Parasoul on point. I realize Beowulf's defense on incoming is way better but I really like having Pillar for him. Is it worth it?
I don't think Beowulf really needs a reversal assist as bad as other characters do, since he already has a bunch of reversals like H Chair/Chairless s.HP/Gigantic Arm/Heavenly Beowulf Buster. Also if you play Beowulf middle, you have the option after Parasoul dies to do Gigantic Arm then DHC to one of Double's safe supers if they block; Parasoul can't do that since her supers don't have startup invincibility.

Reactions: Nixonesque
I need a 3rd character as anchor for peacock/painwheel I've gotten suggestions such as BigBand H Brass and Beowulf H chair chuck but like what about pillar and shot or bomber(don't know the difference in versions except height) Updo(anchor Filia?) H Bypass(no)

This is kind of old, but if you do go with Parasoul, I actually think L Shot is really neat for both Peacock and Painwheel. Pillar is the old classic so of course it works, but Painwheel + L Shot works really well imo for covering the ground to let Painwheel close in on space, and after playing with it for a while I didn't miss pillar at all. Peacock + L shot makes for some really annoying zoning patterns too (see Lawnba who's got a cool setup down for that). Double is probably the ideal choice here, but after that I'd put Parasoul (who I think you used to play?).

Anyone have an opinion on the best order and assists for a team with Filia, Fukua, and Double?

Anyone have an opinion on the best order and assists for a team with Filia, Fukua, and Double?
point Filia (h updo) assist double (H bomber) anchor fukua (slide clone) seems like a thing you could do

as for me I want to play robo when she comes out but I'm shaky on placement with a para wolf team or assistsomething with team
I'd think i'd go or wulf(aroo?) para (pillar) and robo (low beam?) trio or wulf (h toss ) robo (low beam duo
the problem is I don't know the assist really for wulf or robo so I kinda cop out with aroo but I think it's a waste since I can get hype with be wulf in also Im a Xbl player so I'm sure someone more familiar with robo fortune
thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited:
That order's best in my opinion, or Fukua/Filia/Double would probably work really well too. As for assists, can't go wrong with H Updo. H Hairball works well too, and I personally like French Twist, but I only use that for when I play her with Painwheel, but you might find some use with it for Fukua and Double. H Updo's what I'd go with playing this team, personally, but that's just me. With Fukua, M Clone is great, goes far, hits really high up, L Clone's good as a far low that breaks armour, H Platonic Drillationship's good for lockdown, but doesn't have invincibility when used as an assist anymore, only when used by Fukua herself. For this team, I'd go with L Bomber as a DP assist, or M Bomber for lockdown. I personally don't care for H Bomber unless you're playing Peacock. Maybe you can find use with it if you play a zoning playstyle with Fukua like I do, but I still prefer M or L when I play her and Double.

You could probably put those 3 characters in whatever order you want and it would be a viable team.

If it were me I would play Fukua/Filia/Double cause when my first character dies, my second character can mash invincible air super into safe DHC. That's my shit

Reactions: Pickles
You could probably put those 3 characters in whatever order you want and it would be a viable team.

If it were me I would play Fukua/Filia/Double cause when my first character dies, my second character can mash invincible air super into safe DHC. That's my shit

yeah but

gregor sucks

You just described my thought process for all resets and mashed reversals.

I wanna play Fortune/Filia for that hairball head movement but I don't really have much enthusiasm for playing Filia?

i personally feel like fortune filia is kind of a redundant team because headon fortune and filia have very similar playstyles

@obregon
Double/Filia/Fukua
M bomber/H updo / H drill
OR

the more optimal team is

Fukua/Filia/Double
H drill/ H updo/ M bomber.

nah

Fukua/Double/Filia
Filia/Double/Fukua

Updo
MBomber
cMK or MClone

Double/Fukua/Filia if you want point Double and then definitely MClone for that comp.

Filia anchor is awful.

the 1st team has a good//decent battery, a meter eater and a character that essientially dies to the worst neutral.

the 2nd team is aight for point filia

the last team is Ok if you know how to switch out.

i personally feel like fortune filia is kind of a redundant team because headon fortune and filia have very similar playstyles
I feel like that statement is neither true nor does it make too much sense - even if they had very similar playstyles, .. and?
Both Hairball and Updo are nice assists for Fortune, Gregor is a good DHC to get real damage out of CSF, Filia likes eating through meter which Fortune builds en masse, etc.

It's almost like Fortune is ground Fillia who likes to wait and see, while Fillia is air Fortune who likes to go HAM.

I feel like that statement is neither true nor does it make too much sense - even if they had very similar playstyles, .. and?
Both Hairball and Updo are nice assists for Fortune, Gregor is a good DHC to get real damage out of CSF, Filia likes eating through meter which Fortune builds en masse, etc.

I never said it was a team with no merits, nor that it was a bad team that couldn't work. I just feel like both characters play similarly enough that strategies that would work against one would for the most part work against the other. I'm not an accomplished fortune player so maybe their matchups are completely different but that's the impression I have.

Fortune builds meter like a beast.

Can play headless to destroy certain matchups.
Has a dp that allows meterless conversion serves as a mobility tool on whiff. Doesalotofshit as a character. And has better neutral than filia. Filia can l airball adc into conversion from fiber asssist call at times.

You should pick up the character for a week and see how it works. Its fun!

I have no clue which assist I should use for this team. Painwheel, Fukua. In general, I never know what assist Painwheel uses. For Fukua, I like all her options. H Drill, L Shadow?, M Shadow.

I really want to make Big Band, Double, and Parasoul work in some order. I'd prefer to have Band on point, but that's negotiable. It's sort of a crime not to put the obvious point character on point when you have two great anchors.

L BE is the obvious pick for Band. Parasoul could be Pillar or L Shot, and Double could be (?) Bomber or CS. There are some neat tricks that Band can do with the latter options, but he's without a great defensive assist if he uses both. Parasoul prefers Bomber but CS is nasty for high/lows + she might already have L BE. Double loves Pillar but that might also be redundant with BB on deck.

Some ideas:
Para / Double / Band - This is probably the most conventional order. I'd probably run Shot / CS / BE but am open to different choices as well.
Band / Para / Double - Para is in her worst position but this order is kind of nifty otherwise. The optimal assist choices are less obvious here...
Band / Double / Para - Double doesn't mind being 2nd and she can abuse Para's assists quite well. I'm less sure about the DHCs compared to the above.

Also, King Dedede + Char Aznable + Angry Bird = amazing color synergy, just sayin'.

Para/band/double

or para/double/band

Assist as follows:
1:L shot/BE/Cilia slide
2: L shot/ BE/ Bomber

for band being 2nd i would suggest M bomber since it makes things safe. In fact, Double being anchor is prolly the best thing since you can do all sort of stuff with beat extend and catheads is really cool to play with as well.

Point band doesn't really offer much. his strength is that he isn't on the field at present but can pop up with beat extend at any point in time. but if you want point band then use the following.

Band/Soul/double
BE/Pillar/ Cilia slide

just try it out!

Reactions: -ÆON-