• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Souls Series and Bloodborne

Lifehunt Scythe was my main toy during my first NG+ run. Great weapon.
Don't feel bad about offing Priscilla. Anyone who keeps bonewheel skeletons around is clearly up to no good.

Anywho, my head needs a break from all this GamerGate bs...
Freshly brought to my attention is a new and considerably more time effective method for farming Dragon Bones and Twinkling Titanite.
Items you will get by doing this fast ascetic run:
x1 Bonfire Ascetic
x1 Soul of a Hero
x1 Human Effigy
x3 Bolt Stones
x3 Bleed Stones
x3 Twinkling Titanite
x3 Petrified Dragon Bone

Step 1: Ascetic the Tower of Prayer Bonfire.
Step 2: Warp to the Priestess' Chamber, and head to the Sanctum either either the elevator, or by crossing the bridge.
Step 3: Go to the right section, where the two ghost enemies are, but do not go in their room. Go to where there are four enemies near a trapped wooden chest nearby.
Step 4: Open the chest as fast as you can, don't get hit, and take the Bonfire Ascetic!
Step 5: Go into the long corridor and jump over the hole!
Step 6: Open the door by hitting the switch next to it if you haven't already, and clear the area.
Step 7: Loots the two wooden chests!
Step 8: Rinse and repeat!

Of course, remember that the next time you navigate the area with intent to clear, you'll be facing NG+57 enemies. :3

Continuing my adventures, Fume Knight is still walking all over me. I can deal with phase 1 rather easily now but once he switches to the UGS and that absurd chip damage, I'm a goner. T_T
I wonder at what SL people usually are when they beat him in NG? My SL70 should suffice. I don't need levels, I need to git gud...
But before that happens, I switched to my NG++ hexer and decided to tackle Brume Tower with her. I'm off to a even worse start. Magic feels so nerfed, it looks like GRS is the only thing I can rely on...which in turn makes me feel like I'm paying my way through. orz

Reactions: Smilax
Don't feel bad about offing Priscilla. Anyone who keeps bonewheel skeletons around is clearly up to no good.
And those guys hang out on Vamos' lawn. No wonder he's so grumpy.

Items you will get by doing this fast ascetic run:
Do enemies get stronger and stronger each and every time one uses an Ascetic?
If so then at some point wouldn't the game just become impossible?

Just did a little investigation so I wouldn't talk out of my derrière and good thing, because I was going to. <:3

From the wikidot:
Entering the next New Game Plus cycle will increase the intensity of all bonfires by 1, which increases the scaling of enemy stats. If no Bonfire Ascetics are used, all bonfires in NG+ will have an intensity of 2, and all bonfires in NG+7 will have an intensity of 8.

Bonfire Intensity can be increased to 99, though enemy stat increases max out at 8 (NG+7).
You can still burn Bonfire Ascetics after reaching Bonfire Intensity 99, everything will respawn as normal but the number will not go up anymore.

Seems NG+7 is where enemies are at their strongest.

Reactions: Denizen
Thank you Souls Expert Balder.
Here's another question, or rather it's a request for advice. Let's say I start a very personal file in which I try to get every item, weapon, spell, armor piece, etc. and I try to complete every quest line and max out every covenant. Basically I try to be perfect. Going into New Game+ would undo all of that, so my question is that is New Game+ expected to be undertaken or is it totally optional? Are there items that can only be gained in NG+ that cannot be gained with the use of a Bonfire Ascetic? Basically do I have to do NG+ or can I just stick with Ascetics?

Some items (namely +2 rings) can't be obtained by using Ascetic and require going into NG+.
About Covenants, I think you can do all in one run but likely have to swap them around, namely because of Company of Champions. Fortunately, in this game you can leave covenants and re-join without losing any progress you made. Fluffy Waifu Shalquoir keeps tabs on that.

But if you want to truly get everything, better be ready to finish the game without a single death (invasions included) or without ever resting in a bonfire because that's how you get the Illusory rings.

Balder, we all know the truest, most pure waifu is...

The Ogre.

You know what Dark Souls II needs?
A Tundra Level. Like an area filled with ice and snow and trees and stuff.
A Mountain Level is also acceptable, really all I care about is that it's super cold.

A Mountain Level is also acceptable, really all I care about is that it's super cold.
from the sounds of it the third DLC will take place in a wintery place,
also the second DLC that just came out is pretty mountainy

Balder, we all know the truest, most pure waifu is...

The Ogre.
12a.jpg

If you weren't making a point of not playing the first game...
Painted_World_of_Ariamis_01.jpg
:3

Anyway, continuing my hexer adventures I finally beat the Fume Knight. Well, "finally" in the broader sense (as my NG build is probably in attempt #42) because my hexer got the job done in two tries. Can't say I'm proud of the strategy - pumping him with about 35 Great Resonant Souls - but hey! it worked. But even with the safety of ranged battle, I was a nervous wreck especially when he was down to 1/6th HP and me thinking "Ehrmagerd! I can do this!", he gets a couple of swings in and all of sudden I'm down to 5% HP and I have to fight my primal urge to chug that glorious Sunny D and must keep dodging until I have a absolute certain safe spot to heal (besides the huge range on every move, he has a "fly-across-the-room" slash that seems a combination of Artorias and Gwyn meaning run-away-to-chug can only end badly). Freakin' Dark Souls!

Anyway, with Raime frauded and the Crown of the Old Iron King claimed (it has a sweet effect where it replenishes 20% of all spells every two minutes), it was time to visit the Memory of the Old Iron King. Now, he could be like a normal guy and think about titties and beer like everyone else but instead, the only thing inside the crazy bastard's head are tons of Alonne Knights and Giant Salamanders... -_-"

If you weren't making a point of not playing the first game...
That's awesome but when did I say that I wouldn't play the first Dark Souls?

you could have both.
Maybe the painted world will come back in some way in DS2 DLC?

It was supposed to be storehouse/prison of all the weird, unwanted and exiled stuff in Lordran. So, I'd like to find out how the bird people got out and found gainful employment as blacksmiths.

Reactions: iLoli
That's awesome but when did I say that I wouldn't play the first Dark Souls?
Posts #55, #60, #62 and #71.:PUN:

So, I'd like to find out how the bird people got out and found gainful employment as blacksmiths.
I open the door and immediately see a painted world raven woman, it's like...
tumblr_meide1qpXn1r48bp2o1_400.gif

...I was very close to killing her. Would be a shame because Ornifex is a total bro. Sells all sorts of good stuff and doesn't give you any passive-aggressive lip if you don't buy anything.

I open the door and immediately see a painted world raven woman, it's like...
Bad memories of that flying command grab they do?

Reactions: Balder
Bad memories of that flying command grab they do?
the only memories i have of that are them using it to commit ritual suicide of the edge off the world.

Last edited:
Maaaan, that was like five months ago when I didn't know anything about the Souls Series. I fully intend to play Demon Souls and Dark Souls when I have the time and money for it. I've really fallen in love with this series.
To explain my rebellious behavior back then, I'm not particularly fond of the two other people in that conversation so I was intent on not giving them what they want.
My animosity was also due to a character flaw of mine. When someone tells me I should do something my gut reaction is "You can't tell me what to do!"

Anyway, I ordered a 500 GB Hard Drive as part of my little laptop's preparation to run high demanding games.
I can't wait to go up against hacked Foxy the Pirate builds.
Yes even a magical personality like mine has it's downsides.

Reactions: Balder
My animosity was also due to a character flaw of mine. When someone tells me I should do something my gut reaction is "You can't tell me what to do!".

that's adorable.

SHUT UP NERD.
Back on topic, SPEARS.
How viable are these weapons?
in dks2 they're very viable cause of their reach and recent damage buff they got. the old dragon slayers spear i have seen a bunch cause of it's special attack and pate's spear has really long reach. powerstancing spears is super annoying to get past for me. also what i think is the running attack/backstep attack for some spears is pretty good, it's a running multihit thing which is good pressure but gets parried super hard.

pvpers love spear user if ds1 taught me anything.

I did some research and it seems that only three of the twelve spears have the move set I want.
The Spear, the Partizan, and the Silverblack Spear.

The move sets of these weapons have stabbing light attacks and sweeping heavy attacks. That balanced combination of thrusts and strikes is really nice. I'm going to be using the Old Leo Ring so I want a weapon that can capitalize on its effects while still being able to deal with a group of enemies. I also want a weapon that can feasibly be wielded in either one or two hands.
Two handing a thrusting sword looks awkward and one handing an ultra greatsword looks silly.
I just really like spears, they're efficient weapons that aren't as overused as swords.

I also want a Quality Build, and by that I mean a build that balances a lot of its stats. I know that's not optimal in a game like this but I really want to use both Melee and Pyromanices equally while keeping a low total Soul Level for optimal PvE and PvP.
(By the way, when is the best time to stop leveling up?)

The Silverblack Spear is imbued with Dark and I'm more of a Fire guy. The Partizan scales well only with Dexterity, so that's out too. So I guess my go to weapon is going to be the plain old Spear.

Well you know how it is, it's not your levels or tools that matter, it's your skill.

I did some research and it seems that only three of the twelve spears have the move set I want.
The Spear, the Partizan, and the Silverblack Spear.

The move sets of these weapons have stabbing light attacks and sweeping heavy attacks. That balanced combination of thrusts and strikes is really nice. I'm going to be using the Old Leo Ring so I want a weapon that can capitalize on its effects while still being able to deal with a group of enemies. I also want a weapon that can feasibly be wielded in either one or two hands.
Two handing a thrusting sword looks awkward and one handing an ultra greatsword looks silly.
A spear is very balanced in that regard. I just really like spears, they're nice weapons that aren't as overused as swords.

I also want a Quality Build, and by that I mean a build that balances a lot of its stats. I know that's not optimal in a game like this but I really want to use both Melee and Pyromanices equally while keeping a low total Soul Level for optimal PvE and PvP.
(By the way, when is the best time to stop leveling up?)

The Silverblack Spear is imbued with Dark and I'm more of a Fire guy. The Partizan scales well only with Dexterity, so that's out too. So I guess my go to weapon is going to be the plain old Spear.

Well you know how it is, it's not your levels or tools that matter, it's your skill.

there are a lot of different kinds of quality builds, the main one in the dark souls series is STR/DEX 40/40. though the build you seem to be talking about could be a mundane build, a mundane build levels up all stats equally. with this build you infuse weapons that have normally low/no scaling with mundane to give them a massive scaling boost. I have a mundane build character and they are really fun because of all the options i have. With close have a mundane dagger and broken theifs sword both doing around 300-400 (less if they have massive amounts of armor) each hit, for medium range i have a mundane black scorpion stinger, for long range I have a dark infused roaring halberd which can do around 600-750 damage on it's sweetspot which is completely devastating. also to catch people rolling i have a pyromancy glove in my left hand with great combustion doing around 500-650. also for really long range i have a crossbow which scales great with mundane and some more fire spells. so this may be the build you're looking for.

Also for leveling generally most people stop leveling around 150, the build i gave only needs to get to level 127 and get 20 in each stat after then the scaling goes down when everything goes up so it's not that important to level up, though leveling up vigor and endurance still would be nice and you could level up str and dex to get another weapon you like that's close to those stats. But yea after around 150 you should use your souls to upgrade other armors and get important pvp items like a throwing thing to use when out of stamina. also using souls for materials and upgrades though you should have at least one weapon at +10 before you reach 150.

It doesn't matter what your level is in dark souls 2. Everything is based on a system called Soul Memory which is basically every soul you've ever absorbed. This basically means you can level up as much as you want. You'll just be matched around people who have gotten as many souls as you have.

As far as pyromancy goes it doesnt have any requirements so you can kinda use it regardless of your build, but there are builds that make pyromancy better.

Even though you said you wanted a spear, I'd suggest a Black Knight Halberd, as all the black knight weapons will start with a C scaling in fire damage. Though I don't think it'd be easy to get one early on in the game so yeah your ideas are probably better. Spears break pretty fast though so I'd be wary of that.

Sorry if I seem like I'm barging in, but I haven't really got into the PvP aspect of DkS II. Are Ultra Greatswords still viable in PvP? Because I really liked how the Zweihander looked and worked back in DkS I and want to know if it's still amazing.

Though the build you seem to be talking about could be a mundane build, a mundane build levels up all stats equally.
I didn't mean literally equally, all of my stats would be above 20 but within 10 levels of each other.
I'm not really sure how Mundane works but I'm not all that interested in it, I just want to be able to use certain weapons in tandem with the Flame Weapon Pyromancy effectively while having decent stats across the board.

Does Soul Level 172 seem too high?
Are Ultra Greatswords still viable in PvP?
Pretty much any weapon is viable if you know how to use it. I tried using the Zweihander for a while, it's a great weapon but I wasn't good at using it in PvP. However, like every other failure in the Souls Series it was my own fault.

Well, since I know for a fact that Ultra Greatswords are still slow as all known hell like in DKS I, the trick with them was to kinda bait them into your swings and hope to god they don't parry or something. But if you land a clean hit, swords like the Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword or maybe even the Zweihander (If it still has the amazing poise damage) can stunlock. And I might be wrong, but do the Ultra Greatswords have a parry animation when you two hand L2/LT it?

Do the Ultra Greatswords have a parry animation when you two hand L2/LT it?
Yeah, as far as I know.

That must be a pretty slow parry then. I might actually practice with it.

I'm not really sure how Mundane works but I'm not all that interested in it
From what I understand, Mundane infusion scales with your lowest stat and it's at its most efficient when said lowest stat is around 30, meaning it's meant for high level builds. Furthermore it works best with weapons that have little to no scaling.
Mundane Santier's Spear pretty much broke PvP at one point. I think the current best PvP weapons are katanas - good tracking, deceptive hitboxes and since they require high DEX, they really benefit from poison or bleed effects.

And just to echo Gamesandgoodies' words, a Quality build is one focused on STR and DEX, normally 40/40. It's actually something I researched lately, as I intend to take my melee build down that path (he's still in NG, poor guy...). Also, Sun Sword (Sunbro rank 2 reward) is lauded as one of the best Quality weapons in the game. 40/40 PRAISE IT! \[T]/

Does Soul Level 172 seem too high?
It's as Fizzxwizz said, it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things because of the bogus SM system. Theoretically a SL40 build can be paired against a SL500 one assuming they have similar Soul Memory values. The choice is yours but, unlike DS1, it is not a factor that will play in matchmaking.

Also been asking myself a similar question - my hexer build is finalized (SL150) but I feel she could use a wee bit more STR and ADP...but at the same time, I don't want to sacrifice points from FTH. T_T
Maybe I'll make a DEX hexer because relying on magic alone isn't all that good, but then again, I'd blame the DLC because while traversing the main game, Dark Orbs alone really do the trick on practically everything.

Sir Forever Alonne was a nightmare. I feel like he'll be manageable with a melee build but really hard for casters. Had to call in a Sunbro to help. (.__.)

Couple of funnies because why not?
f8d.jpg

aa9.jpg

Reactions: Denizen and Jimbob
So, about covenants. I'm in the Blue Sentinels and never really get to do blue invasions. Is this because of my soul memory, or would I have an easier time punishing the guilty in NG+?

Side Note: I don't really get to play DkS II much at the very moment because while I do own the game itself, my only opportunities to play is when a friend of mine lets me borrow his PS3, but I do plan on getting my own.

great swords generally have a halarious strong attack that can knock poeple off edges, so you can try fun trolling things with chameloen and sneaking up on others while invading and try to knock them off a ledge. otherwise i think it's too slow and too commonly used in pvp to do that much since most poeple know the ultragreatsword movesets so it can be hard to use an ultragreatsword in pvp.

Also for the lack of invasions it may be because of low soul memory, at around 2.5 mil soul memory i could find sinners pretty consistently but i play on PC so there may be more poeple there. also I wouldn't recommend NG+ till your character is like 3.5 mil soul memeory. also i wouldn't NG+ till all the DLC are out and you beat them all with the character. But i don't know what ranges are popular on ps3

I think on PS3 1mil and up is when all the invasions begin. Also, how does Soul Memory affect jolly cooperation?

Watching the Best Friends playthrough and them freeing everyone's favorite bird-waifu got me thinking:

it'd be hilarious if the next DLC in DS2 got some new merchants based on old DS1 enemies (made specifically for the purpose of trolling players into attacking them).

Bloathead Sorcerer that sells dark magics? A Capra Demon out walking his dog? Crystal golem that sells upgrade materials?

Watching the Best Friends playthrough and them freeing everyone's favorite bird-waifu got me thinking:

it'd be hilarious if the next DLC in DS2 got some new merchants based on old DS1 enemies (made specifically for the purpose of trolling players into attacking them).

Bloathead Sorcerer that sells dark magics? A Capra Demon out walking his dog? Crystal golem that sells upgrade materials?

Not gonna lie, that would probably frustrate me. But I'm fairly certain I would have a good laugh about it afterwards.

Black knight selling moss, makes more sense then a severd head selling swords.

I could probably be a bit more relaxed with the Black Knights selling me things, because those bastards get ready as soon as you step near them, so I'd know if they're chill or not. Worse comes to worse, I'd just approach them with my shield raised.

Oh yeah, and sorry if this is spamming the thread. But can anyone copy paste me a quick DkS I boss souls crafting guide (Including the Artorias of the Abyss DLC)? I would do it myself, but this school laptop has every wiki blocked.

Thanks @Balder, I'm gonna stop around SL 170 and stick with my current stat plan.
I got my hard drive yesterday, after I back up my laptop I'm going to experiment with Boot Camp.

I hope this all works.

But can anyone copy paste me a quick DkS I boss souls crafting guide?
UPGRADED WEAPON NAME - SOUL REQUIRED - WEAPON REQUIRED
Abyss Greatsword - Soul of Artorias - Daggers, Straightswords or Greatswords
Chaos Blade - Soul of Quelaag - Katanas
Crystal Ring Shield - Soul of The Moonlight Butterfly - Shields
Darkmoon Bow - Soul of Gwyndolin - Bows
Dragon Bone Fist - Core of an Iron Golem - Caestus, Claw
Dragonslayer Spear - Soul of Ornstein - Thrusting Swords, Spears
Golem Axe - Core of an Iron Golem - Axes
Greatshield of Artorias - Soul of Sif - Shields
Greatsword of Artorias - Soul of Sif - Broken Straight Sword or Straight Sword Hilt
Greatsword of Artorias (Cursed) - Soul of Sif - Daggers, Straightswords or Greatswords
Great Lord Greatsword - Soul of Gwyn, Lord of Cinder - Daggers, Straightswords or Greatswords
Lifehunt Scythe - Soul of Priscilla - Halberds, Whips
Manus Catalyst - Soul of Manus - Catalysts
Moonlight Butterfly Horn - Soul of The Moonlight Butterfly - Thrusting Swords, Spears
Quelaag's Furysword - Soul of Quelaag - Curved Swords
Smough's Hammer - Soul of Smough - Hammers (except Blacksmith hammers) or Great Hammers (except Dragon Tooth and Grant)
Tin Darkmoon Catalyst - Soul of Gwyndolin - Catalysts

http://darksouls.wikidot.com/boss-soul-items