• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Souls Series and Bloodborne

I remember that in dark souls 1 someone told me to stop at lvl 20 or 30 to avoid being invaded by someone too powerful... something like that
Yeah, DS1's matchmaking is based on level thresholds but it wouldn't stop you from getting jumped by a SL10 or whatever fully decked in maxed endgame gear thanks to a hacked save file by the name of "Mega Mule". It has all weapons and armor at +10, insane amounts of all consumables, all spells except a few basic ones, etc. And it's at SL0.
I'm fairly certain the very first invasion I suffered was by someone using it. There was little low level me struggling through the Undead Burg and I get jumped by some dipshit using gear from the DLC areas... *shrug*
Basic rule of Darks Souls: Equipment >>>> Soul Level

I need to download the latest updates, cause I'm still on ver. 1.00, where the Sinner can shave off +70% of my hp every blow :c
You're still fighting the Lost Sinner while everyone is smacking the Lost CASUL around. :3
The nerf was too extreme. I think they should have nerfed either the damage or the aggressiveness but not both.

I guess the game just has an extra.
Yeah, I can confirm this. With both builds, I picked up 13 shards.
It's not the same for the Sublime Bone Dust though.

Side note, continuing my hexer adventures, I decided to take at stab at the chasms even if I'm still at SL50...ended up clearing all areas at first try (haven't beat the Dicklurker yet, though). Meanwhile, my SL70 melee build went through hell to make it past that crap. Just proves how absurd that area is for melee builds. Casters can steamroll that part with no issues.

And I oughta try a "No Summons" run one day. The AI partners really make it easy because, again, AI prioritizes AI. I beat the Throne Bros with Ben, just sitting back tossing pyros and miracles while he tanked both of them. Same with Lucatiel and all four bosses she can be summoned for, Agdayne and Velstadt, etc.
Incidentally, I wish the area to fight Velstadt would be a bit bigger. I think if I had more room to maneuver, it could be a very enjoyable duel.

Reactions: Agent York
Alright, so on top of some of the other gripes I've had with the game's design, something new just came to my attention that has me bursting at the seams with the urge to rant. Rather than merely burst out several paragraphs into people's feed, I'd rather know if everyone's fine with a long critique on one aspect of the game, or if I should keep that shit out of here. I really hate that I keep being a Negative Nancey (and don't get me wrong, I'd rather be playing DS2 over a huge portion of the rest of the games on the market right now), but I am a critic at heart, and I believe everyone should be aware of this new thing that has come to light.

Alright, so on top of some of the other gripes I've had with the game's design, something new just came to my attention that has me bursting at the seams with the urge to rant. Rather than merely burst out several paragraphs into people's feed, I'd rather know if everyone's fine with a long critique on one aspect of the game, or if I should keep that shit out of here. I really hate that I keep being a Negative Nancey (and don't get me wrong, I'd rather be playing DS2 over a huge portion of the rest of the games on the market right now), but I am a critic at heart, and I believe everyone should be aware of this new thing that has come to light.
I think that's one of the reasons spoiler tags exist but I don't think anyone will have a problem with a lengthy critique.

So I was dueling at the Iron Keep on the bridge and you know that spot on the side with the ledge that you can fall off of an aren't able to get back up on? My opponent fell there and I killed him with Dark fog and Soul Spear combinations. Afterwards I sent this message, "It's over Anakin, I have the high ground." I'm a dick.

All right, rant time then I guess. If I somehow derail or soil the thread with this discussion, feel free to delete it and I can move it elsewhere.
Alrighty people, so on top of some of the other issues with DS2 on the world and lore building side, new info has come to light. That being that whereas DS1 had a completely connected world where each area actually had physical space that places them where they should be, DS2's world is comprised of individually modeled areas that exist in empty space and load around you. To put it in a simpler way, looking across the world from The Duke's Archive in DS1, you were actually looking at the very areas you go to in the game, simply at a lower resolution. In DS2, looking at Heide's Tower or Drangleic castle from Majula, you are actually seeing individual models in the background and skybox. NOW... this isn't the problem. The real problem is, is that the way each area fits together makes absolutely no spatial sense.
What you see here, is showing that Shaded Woods, Doors of Pharros, Drangleic Castle, and Aldia's Keep all exist together in the same space within the game, but you will of course only have one loaded at a time. This doesn't exactly require a map viewer to notice, just think about how the road to Drangleic Castle turns right, which by all rights would cause it to lead into Aldia's Keep at the length the road goes. And that's only the tip of these spatial inconsistencies.
- The distance from Majula to Heide's seems a lot shorter than how far it looks on the horizon.
- Going into the ruin that leads to No Man's Wharf, you start out a couple dozen feet above sea level. Then despite going down about 3-5 flights of stairs, AND an elevator, you somehow end up still being above sea level.
- After the boat takes you to The Lost Bastille, take a moment and look up. That's right, they didn't even model a cliff for the Bastille to sit on, it just hangs floating off the side of a cliff, and you can see through the non-existent textures on it's underside to see right through the level.
- Despite being able to see the tower of rock that we ascend up to the Dragon Aerie from the entrance to Aldia's Keep, the other towers that the game implies exist while you are on the Aerie itself are nowhere to be seen in the rest of the world.
- Furthermore, despite the fact that you can see Drangleic Castle from Majula, the much much larger crags of Dragon Aerie that tower over the world and supposedly exist only several miles from the castle are still visible nowhere else in the world.
- Despite Drangleic Castle being arguably the second highest point in the game, no other area in the game is visible while standing atop it to my knowledge.
- And finally one that many players have already noticed, the trip from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep. I'll leave the arguments to other people to make, and simply post this picture showing where exactly the maps of the two areas line up physically to each other in game.
8jCH1.jpg

Now, the point I'm simply making of this, is simply that compared to the previous Souls games, DS2 has a lot of problems such as this in the world and lore building alone (ignoring other "issues" that are defined by personal tastes ie Boss and Monster Designs, PvP, etc), some of these issues being things that never came up in the previous games. It's well known by know that the former Director, and some would say father of the Souls series, Hidetaka Miyazaki was forced by namco/Bandai to step down as director in order to "let new blood influence the franchise" for DS2. Based on multiple interviews, it's been shown that the Souls series' signature attention to detail in the world and lore of the games was all tied to Miyazaki's passion. He would delve and sift through literally every detail in the games during development, be it level design, a character's story, the look of a Boss or piece of armor, and other things such as that. The usual term for such involved directors is often auteur.

What I'm trying to get at through this overly long-winded statement, is that the Souls series was very much a part of Miyazaki himself, and that he seemed to be the biggest influence on the world and lore of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. While such details are not important to every player, many fans of the Souls series, myself included, are so drawn to this series because of Miyazaki's meticulous work and effort to create a living, breathing, believable world. Don't get this as me saying that the team behind DS2 are a bunch of shams. I believe that they did the best they possibly could on their own, trying to make a game to match and possibly surpass it's predecessors. I do however believe that a series as involved and detailed as the Souls series simply requires an auteur like Miyazaki at the helm.

Make of this info what you will. Whether we as fans can have any say or power on trying to convince Namco/Bandai to put Miyazaki back in charge is impossible to say. I can only hope that either that happens, or the new Souls team can learn their lessons and "Git Gud" by the time the inevitable next game in the series is created.

And feel free to call me a nutter for fretting over simple details like this in a fucking video game. I can't help being true to the critic I am at heart. To anybody who made it through this wall-o-text, I do hope I have not wasted your time.

understandable...

Worst (best?) case scenario, Miyazaki feels ashamed by how dark souls 2 turned out, leaves Namco and do a Kickstarter to make a spiritual sucessor worthy of its vision

i'd back it

I just wanted to play a fun video game...

I just wanted to play a fun video game...
And there's nothing wrong with that at all. A person can play a game solely for the gameplay same as another can obsess over the finer details of game, world, and story design. Honestly, I wish I could just shut my inner cynic and just have fun sometimes. I can occasionally just have some dumb fun when it comes to character action games, but when it comes to game/story/character design, I can't steer myself away from "seriuz buzniz" attitude half the time.

I'd bet people who don't worry over stuff like me have a better and more content time than me, ignorance is bliss and such, though ignorance is a strong word. Perhaps average thinker versus over-thinker would better suit haha.

I'd bet people who don't worry over stuff like me have a better and more content time than me, ignorance is bliss and such, though ignorance is a strong word. Perhaps average thinker versus over-thinker would better suit haha.
You were leaning super close to know-it-all douchebaggery there, but you kind of saved yourself at the end.

Kind of.

You were leaning super close to know-it-all douchebaggery there, but you kind of saved yourself at the end.

Kind of.
I honestly meant no ill will at all with that statement. That's why I tried to alter the analogy, because there really isn't any analogies I know that met what I was trying to convey. I'm sorry that what I said could be taken in that way. I honestly thought I was talking degrading to myself moreso, hence calling myself an over-thinker and chuckling at my own pathetic nature.

EDIT: wrong thread indeed

Last edited:
I hope duke's worst case scenario isn't anywhere close to the near future though. like, one bad game doesnt mean a person will leave, and considering he's somewhat more new to the scene as other devs who have made kickstarters, I don't even know if he'd be successful.

some newcomers' endings are out...

they smoke some weird sh*t when decided to do it
http://shoryuken.com/2014/04/22/tak...cade-mode-endings-in-ultra-street-fighter-iv/
Elena takes a selfie with akuma (JUST... HOW?!?!?!)
Poison creates a metal band with guy, cody, rolento, ryu and ken
Rolento is being rolento.
wrong thread bro.

All right, rant time then I guess. If I somehow derail or soil the thread with this discussion, feel free to delete it and I can move it elsewhere.
Alrighty people, so on top of some of the other issues with DS2 on the world and lore building side, new info has come to light. That being that whereas DS1 had a completely connected world where each area actually had physical space that places them where they should be, DS2's world is comprised of individually modeled areas that exist in empty space and load around you. To put it in a simpler way, looking across the world from The Duke's Archive in DS1, you were actually looking at the very areas you go to in the game, simply at a lower resolution. In DS2, looking at Heide's Tower or Drangleic castle from Majula, you are actually seeing individual models in the background and skybox. NOW... this isn't the problem. The real problem is, is that the way each area fits together makes absolutely no spatial sense.
What you see here, is showing that Shaded Woods, Doors of Pharros, Drangleic Castle, and Aldia's Keep all exist together in the same space within the game, but you will of course only have one loaded at a time. This doesn't exactly require a map viewer to notice, just think about how the road to Drangleic Castle turns right, which by all rights would cause it to lead into Aldia's Keep at the length the road goes. And that's only the tip of these spatial inconsistencies.
- The distance from Majula to Heide's seems a lot shorter than how far it looks on the horizon.
- Going into the ruin that leads to No Man's Wharf, you start out a couple dozen feet above sea level. Then despite going down about 3-5 flights of stairs, AND an elevator, you somehow end up still being above sea level.
- After the boat takes you to The Lost Bastille, take a moment and look up. That's right, they didn't even model a cliff for the Bastille to sit on, it just hangs floating off the side of a cliff, and you can see through the non-existent textures on it's underside to see right through the level.
- Despite being able to see the tower of rock that we ascend up to the Dragon Aerie from the entrance to Aldia's Keep, the other towers that the game implies exist while you are on the Aerie itself are nowhere to be seen in the rest of the world.
- Furthermore, despite the fact that you can see Drangleic Castle from Majula, the much much larger crags of Dragon Aerie that tower over the world and supposedly exist only several miles from the castle are still visible nowhere else in the world.
- Despite Drangleic Castle being arguably the second highest point in the game, no other area in the game is visible while standing atop it to my knowledge.
- And finally one that many players have already noticed, the trip from Earthen Peak to Iron Keep. I'll leave the arguments to other people to make, and simply post this picture showing where exactly the maps of the two areas line up physically to each other in game.
8jCH1.jpg

Now, the point I'm simply making of this, is simply that compared to the previous Souls games, DS2 has a lot of problems such as this in the world and lore building alone (ignoring other "issues" that are defined by personal tastes ie Boss and Monster Designs, PvP, etc), some of these issues being things that never came up in the previous games. It's well known by know that the former Director, and some would say father of the Souls series, Hidetaka Miyazaki was forced by namco/Bandai to step down as director in order to "let new blood influence the franchise" for DS2. Based on multiple interviews, it's been shown that the Souls series' signature attention to detail in the world and lore of the games was all tied to Miyazaki's passion. He would delve and sift through literally every detail in the games during development, be it level design, a character's story, the look of a Boss or piece of armor, and other things such as that. The usual term for such involved directors is often auteur.

What I'm trying to get at through this overly long-winded statement, is that the Souls series was very much a part of Miyazaki himself, and that he seemed to be the biggest influence on the world and lore of Demon's Souls and Dark Souls 1. While such details are not important to every player, many fans of the Souls series, myself included, are so drawn to this series because of Miyazaki's meticulous work and effort to create a living, breathing, believable world. Don't get this as me saying that the team behind DS2 are a bunch of shams. I believe that they did the best they possibly could on their own, trying to make a game to match and possibly surpass it's predecessors. I do however believe that a series as involved and detailed as the Souls series simply requires an auteur like Miyazaki at the helm.

Make of this info what you will. Whether we as fans can have any say or power on trying to convince Namco/Bandai to put Miyazaki back in charge is impossible to say. I can only hope that either that happens, or the new Souls team can learn their lessons and "Git Gud" by the time the inevitable next game in the series is created.

And feel free to call me a nutter for fretting over simple details like this in a fucking video game. I can't help being true to the critic I am at heart. To anybody who made it through this wall-o-text, I do hope I have not wasted your time.

You've more or less captured one of my problems with the level design of this game. My first indication of this was the Earthen Peaks --> Iron Keep transition because I couldn't figure out how the transition worked. If you were to put the Earthen Peak at the base of some mountain and then have an elevator ride it would make sense but no such situation exists.

I feel like DS2 suffers from a lack of attention to detail overall and level design is either uninteresting or frustrating. There is less exploring overall in favor of linear corridors and minor branching paths. Outside of the Forest of the Giants and the area containing the map guy I can't think of many areas that featured interesting side paths. Not even saying that Demon Souls or Dark Souls didn't have linear paths in their game design, but they did a better job of masking them by keeping environments rather open all around you and showing off the surrounding geography. Dark Souls 2 spends too much time keeping you in tunnels or hallways. There aren't many open areas that let you look around and when you do find them all you have to traverse are bridges.

Really good post Agent York, Zach would be proud.
I hope duke's worst case scenario isn't anywhere close to the near future though. like, one bad game doesnt mean a person will leave, and considering he's somewhat more new to the scene as other devs who have made kickstarters, I don't even know if he'd be successful.

wrong thread bro.
I do too, Even if Miyazaki doesn't come back there is still room for a good souls sequel. I think part of what could help them is doing what they were forced to do in the transition between Demon Souls and Dark Souls 1 by having to make a new canon (I've said this before I think). I won't be able to do a NG+ run until I get another copy of the game but from what I hear new souls you find and NPC invasions all basically confirm that this land is or was the same land as Dark Souls 1 (If the constant NPC chatter about kingdoms rising and falling on this spot didn't clue you in already)

Alright, how about something positive now? What was everyone's favorite boss in DS2?
Mine would hands down have to be Velstadt, The Royal Aegis. From a gameplay aspect, he is simply incredible in my book. He is both fast and slow, with huge weighty attacks, lunges, swipes, and most terrifyingly the one where he runs at you in a full sprint! He even has spells, and at half health he uses what appears to be some sort of twisted Great Magic Barrier!

He's even cooler design wise. His armor shows the splendor of Lord Vendrick's elite guard while also remaining simplistic. Also, what does a battle cleric bring to battle, a hammer or a chime? Velstadt states "why not both?" That Great Chime being used as a club was such an awesome concept that I was still smiling every time it turned me into red paste on the ground. Not to mention that the concept of a King's bodyguard staying loyal to his Lord, even through the collapse of a kingdom, corruption by the Dark, and the depressing fate of his Lord, is an especially awesome concept. Velstadt served as a perfect entree' before the reveal of Vendrick, the fallen King.

honorable mentions to Throne Watcher/Defender and The Lost Sinner (But only on base game. Screw those Pyromancing Gankers).

Oh I forgot to mention this before. When I fought The Lost Sinner+ those Pyromancers I kept hearing about never showed up.

Did you use a Bonfire Ascetic? The wiki says that they don't appear for some reason unless you are in direct NG+

Did you use a Bonfire Ascetic? The wiki says that they don't appear for some reason unless you are in direct NG+
Yeah I did, I guess that explains it.

The Duke's Dear Freja was probably my favorite boss in the game - giant two headed spider that shoots lasers? Not bad at all. Bonus points for scaring the crap out of me in NG+ by appearing earlier on the cliff side.

rant time
Yeah, I've seen that video about the stacked areas. These spacial shenanigans clearly confirm Venus had a hand in this. :3
While disappointing, that issue doesn't really soil my experience...however, the bizarre transition between areas like Earthen Peak > Iron Keep and Aldia Manor > Dragonville is certainly eyebrow-raising.
Together with the not-so-memorable cast of NPCs and bosses and the lore being remarkably vague, the overall experience is not as immersive as the prequel. Still a great game but doesn't go beyond that.

What was everyone's favorite boss in DS2?
Most bosses just felt like obstacles and there are very few fights that leave a lasting impression and there's certainly none that leaves a impression as strong as the likes of Quelaag, Sif, Bert & Ernie, Kalameet (even if I hate this bastard) and Artorias.
That said, I think Lost Sinner and Paladin Leeroy Excelsus Velstadt leave the strongest impression. Special mention to The Duke's Dear and The Rotten for living up to their areas' build-up towards them.

Side note, went to face Nashandra with my hexer build and I'll be damned! she whooped me good. I guess this is the one thing melee builds got easy. Also, trying to get the Benhart trophy in the process...and he dies right as I deal the last blow. Twice. -_-"

Side note, went to face Nashandra with my hexer build and I'll be damned! she whooped me good. I guess this is the one thing melee builds got easy
Well I have only fought Nashandra once, I was under the presumption that she was easier for long range classes. She was being a threat up close, so I backed up. Then she got caught in an AI loop and did nothing but fire her incredibly slow lasers at me, while I'm pelting her with arrows for nearly 800+ damage every 10 seconds. She seems to be giving different impressions depending on if people find the loop or not.
Bonus points for scaring the crap out of me in NG+ by appearing earlier on the cliff side.
Same. And apparently that might not be related to NG+. Some people say she's appeared on their first playthrough o_o

The thing with Nashandra is that bringing a AI summon doesn't make the fight a "sit back and pew pew pew" deal for casters. While Smelter, Sentry, Lost Sinner, Throne Bros, Veldstadt and Looking Gank Knight (maybe more I can't recall) weren't even boss fights given how these bosses entirely prioritize the AI ally, Nashandra don't play dat! She takes notice of the player a lot and not only that, she'll take down allies with relative easy.
A lot of deaths happened as I tried to lit her ass on fire with a Chaos Storm. Even with Vengarl and Brohart taking swings at her, she'd turn around to OHKO me with a swing.
Overall, she took me about 7 tries. I was surprised since with my melee build (and my first time fighting her), got it done on my first attempt.
Both builds are SL70, which is my self-imposed NG cap. Admittedly, my hexer has very little in the ways of HP and stamina. I'm making a magical glass cannon.

Incidentally, I would have caped NG at SL50 with my hexer, if it weren't for the royal pains in the ass. Went up 20 levels just for goddamned Nashandra and Vendrick...and the worst part is that that I gave up on Vendrick (as with my first run, I'm not gonna aggro the Ancient Dragon for that 5th soul). I mean, all the rewards from beating Vendrick are for melee builds so there's really no point in taking that abuse.

The giant souls gimmick is one of the worst things in the game IMHO. Yeah From, you definitely learned from Bed of Chaos... *roll eyes*

Dark Soul 1:
Brilliant game, the best of the 'souls' series. Very fair, and challenging at the same time.
8qmvp.jpg
Dark Souls 2:
Artificially difficult. I know newfigs were constantly claiming Dark Soul 1 of being artificially difficult, but this one straight up is.
This game relies on 3V1 boss fights where one can heal the other to full HP.

Dark Souls 1 had 3 boss fights that were multipleV1 (But if you were fast enough, you could even the playing field quickly before it got out of hand), Dark Souls 2 had 8 multipleV1 battles- technically 11.
Making 1 kinda average boss (gargoyles) and coping and pasting it so there are 3 of them (at the same time) doesn't make it hard in a fair way.

The lost sinner, The rotten, The Smelter Demon. Those are some very GOOD bosses. These are what the boss fights of the entire game SHOULD have been like. But this is only 3 boss fights out of maybe 22-ish.

Also, I felt like this game didn't give subtle hints as the first game did- i.e. HOW DO YOU SET A STONE WINDMILL ON FIRE TO STOP POISON FROM FLOWING!? Why not hollow, rotting wood!?
How was anyone supported to piece together that the Giant Souls (the ones that literally say 'this has not purpose,' has a purpose!? Why not say something like 'these souls are poisonous to those to tried to contain them and harvest there power.' That would subtly hint that you should use them against The King.

Is this game terrible (2/10)? no. Am I very, VERY disappointing in it? Yes. Should you buy it? This is literally a personal opinion, do whatever you want with your money.

Reactions: Smilax
Medzy made me want even more a steamworks dark souls 1

Dark Soul 1:
Super great awesome funtime
Dark Souls 2:
Not so much
This pretty much sums up my feelings on Dark Souls 2 - although I've still had a pretty good time with the game so far (just started my third playthrough). I think the series could benefit from some time off before the next game, get it's original director back, and maybe start a different type of "Souls" altogether in a few years.
In the meantime, they can throw together a new 3D Dot Game Heroes :PUN:

Started my PC play this saturday.
Not sure about bosses yet, let 4(5?) primal bonfires and entered poison mists location. Killed all of them without help.
Comparing to DS1, your main task feels more ... pointless? Didn't play Demon's Souls, and don't know if it should be like this. In DS1 you always knew, what are you looking for and what for you're doing it. When in DS2 you randomly wandering around looking for bossrooms. Yes, exactly, is your main task "seek the greater souls and the king". No names until you kill them, no real matters. When in DS1 you did things for matter "ring the bells to call the keeper, capture ancient souls to unlock the King's World. Kill the King to become a new one".
Events not connected between each other. I don't use wonders, so it took hours to realize that "woman with wonders" changed her placing after I killed last boss in accessable locations, and now she stands near a button, unusable before, and is not like you walk through this place very often to notice. "Look at that symbol, is not what you think. I can open a new path for you, for the price". You don't say? B*ch, please. I really feel like a zombie looking for brains.
Also why they removed level up from bonfire? I don't want to skip "you should seek" speach all the time. May be is why I missed something important :/
Excluding all that uncertainty, game is good, and I enjoy playing it.
Also I used effigie only one time, and it was before I got a special ring to decrease penalty of hollowing. It's just me?

Last edited:
Reactions: Smilax
Also I used effigie only one time, and it was before I got a special ring to decrease penalty of hollowing. It's just me?
I keep all my Life Protection rings with me and when they all break, it's back to Majula for repair. Hurrah for recklessness!
Those curse pots can be quite troublesome though, namely the ones in Amana.

Started NG+ with my hexer and by Vendrick's underwear! the game goes into murder mode RIGHT AT THE START. 0_0
There be red phantoms all over the place. I even got jumped by our old friend who always found himself in quite a pickle...
On a more positive note, I managed to beat the Pursuer in its first appearance and much to my surprise, doing so nulls the boss fight.
Also, gotta underline the remarkable stupidity of Doggy Style Gankapalooza '14 being harder than most other things I had to deal with. Melee can plow through but with my hexer, it just got to the point of going YOLO Storm and pray it works.
Meanwhile, trying to get Sunbro duty done as I progress. It ain't easy to live up to our magnificent father... (.__.)

Anywho, I never mentioned it here but I love Setz's Dork Souls 4koma series:
CoVPwMm.jpg

sEyX27o.jpg

zvwC1kz.jpg

ORaLwvV.jpg

ZEzjbPf.jpg

EDIT: http://www.siliconera.com/2014/04/28/report-kadokawa-acquires-dark-souls-developers-software/

Last edited:
I keep all my Life Protection rings with me and when they all break, it's back to Majula for repair. Hurrah for recklessness!
It sounds like you have a lot of Life Protection Rings, where did you get them all? I only have Life Protection Rings along with one Soul Protection Ring.

One in No Man's Wharf, another in Shaded Woods and a third sold by Felkin the Outcast.
At NG+, done with Wharf and talking to Felkin, I got 5 with me.

There's also two Rings of Soul Protection (one in the Gutter and another sold by Vengarl) but those cost twice to repair and since petrification is hardly a problem, I never use those.

I must have missed the one in No Man's Wharf.

So are we getting a cute manga about cute priscilla doing cute half dragon things?
Like this?

Incidentally, I forgot leaving the link to Dark Souls Theatre in this here topic.

It's interesting how a game with such bleak themes spawns so much humorous content...

Side note, my NG+ adventures continuing, finally faced the Lost Ganker. Again, I think the nerfs were misplaced. The issue isn't so much the pyromancers having too much HP and/or doing too much damage but the fact they came out of the goddamned Flying Circus!
Those pricks will dodge EVERYTHING. It's infuriating for a caster. And I'm not talking conventional dodges, oh no! Those leapy bastards will cross the whole area in a jump.
Sinner's still very much a issue for me because when I get OHKO'ed by anything, the damage nerf really doesn't matter.
Side note, Sinner's Rise is a very good place to do Sunbro duty. Got called quite the lot of times, even with inter-regional play off.

Mytha's Blade is complete garbage, btw. I am not getting those Dragon Bones back... T_T

It's interesting how a game with such bleak themes spawns so much humorous content...
I'm not sure if people, who take all the death stuff without humor, can play that game. Especially fans.

---

Try this tho.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if people, who take all the death stuff without humor, can play that game. Especially fans.
Indeed.
Helps that this game is much lighter compared to DS1. Every quest line in that game ended either tragically our sourly while here, almost everyone gets a tranquil ending (the ones who don't are the token asshole NPCs - Creighton, Pate and Licia). This is more about cycle and rebirth while DS1 is entirely permeated in solitude, despair and resignation.
Nonetheless, DS2 does have a couple of moments that hit me hard, namely Vengarl's contemplations of regret and the meeting with Lucatiel in the Gulch; that moment was particularly powerful for me as you see this powerful stoic warrior break down and confess her very primal and very human fear of loss. That said, the ending to her quest line was very blasé - Here's my stuff. Never forget me.
IMHO, a weak ending to a good quest line.
But there, bar Lucatiel's struggle with hollowing, everyone has a jolly good time. As much as I like Brohart, there's nothing to his quest line. It's just "I really like my sword and I'll never give it away." then you reach the end and it's like "Here's my sword. And my pants."
That said, I wish I could take Vengarl to Majula and put him on Chloanne's lap. She likes playing with disembodied heads and the man needs some consolation. I dare say they'd make a good couple. I SHIP IT! :3

And overall, the fanbase really lightened up the mood with things like Giantdad. On that note, and to share a personal story (not anything particularly amusing but it really helped get through the area), as I was going through Tseldora while trading real time impressions with a PSN friend, I got a Mastodon Greatsword from a spider and messaged said friend saying "These spiders are packing heat!" to which he replied "Giantdad spiders with Chaos Zweihanders" and I'll be damned, now I look at those things and imagine them standing on two legs, do "Well, what is it?" gesture, proceed to kill me in a BASS CANNON STUN-LOCK and then call me a FUKN CASUL.
I guess the conclusion is that, of all the games that could lead me into finding amusement over the most bizarre things, it was Dark Souls that did it.

Nonetheless, the game also has its own share of humor here and there, which I also greatly appreciate for its subtlety.

EDIT: I've seen that doujin. But thanks nonetheless.
You should leave a NSFW warning though. Even if the doujin itself is SFW, the site is permeated with porn ads.

I'm nearly done with my NG+ run, just have to beat the Darklurker before I move onto NG++.

Hey Balder, I also have an update on those two Strength weapons I was gonna try out.

The Crypt Blacksword has turned out immensely great for me, but it's requirements are deep (tho considering you can't get it until NG+ [or by using an ascetic] they make sense). 40 Str, 10 Dex, 12 Int, and 12 Fth are the requirements. It's Str and Dex scaling is garbage, but the catch here is it's A in Dark scaling. Imbue it with a Darkstone and that becomes an S scaling. I don't know how viable it would be in a PvP build (since you guys seem to limit your levels to the 150 range), but get your Int and Fth high enough and that thing's damage starts to go through the roof.

As for the King's Ultra Greatsword, I sadly don't have the Bones to upgrade it atm, but it looks like it'd be much better for a pure strength build that doesn't mess around with Int or Faith. It requires a whopping 50 Str and 10 Dex to wield, but when fully upgraded it has an S in Str scaling. It also has the unique property of causing extreme equipment damage to your foes, but I'm not sure if one in the Sunbro business would care for that kind of dickery. Not sure if it would be worth it to infuse it, since you'd lose that incredible scaling, but that's up to the wielder. Both of these swords have the same moveset, so you can swing one around to get the idea of how each plays.

Reactions: Balder
Just got my platinum trophy, so I think I can put Dark Souls 2 away for now. Might do some PvP stuffs, but probably won't pick it up again until some DLC comes out. I stayed at level 150 for my second and third playthroughs, rocking a glass-cannon caster build (invaders and bosses alike can fall in just a few spells, it's loads of fun!)

As for the game itself, it had too much to live up to and the development team didn't understand what made the previous games so amazing. Hopefully "Dying Souls" or whatever they do next will be better....

You should leave a NSFW warning though. Even if the doujin itself is SFW, the site is permeated with porn ads.
Oh, my bad, didn't see it (adblock) and forgot about. Just changed the source. Will pay more attention next time.

Last edited:
Found the king. In order to kill him you need... WAAAT?? GIANT SOULS IN INVENTORY??? Isn't it enough they're inside of me? T_T Scourge of the any RPG game - you can make effective build / met all events only in second run.

Reactions: Jutsei