• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Speculation: Cerebella vs Story Mode

The Dave

Reaction score
Steam
TheDaveofHouston
Robo Fortune Eliza Cerebella
So, I was thinking about 'Bella in other people's stories:

• Ms. Fortune beats her up in her story mode. Obviously necessary for her to do so (Life Gem and all), and this probably has less than pleasant consequences with the Medicis.
  • Is barely a cameo in Peacock's epilogue, and not a very healthy cameo at that. "And then there were two..."
  • Gets beaten up at the very beginning of Big Band's performance.
  • Eliza... Well... Eliza was Eliza.
And that's just off the top of my head. Who knows how Beowulf will interact with her, if at all. Could range from hilarious ("Ouch, that really hurt! ...Call me.") to heartbreaking ("I can't believe I was ever a fan of yours!"). So, Cere doesn't really play well with others, and whatever's canon probably hits just as hard. On the other hand, the setting is somewhat "terrifying reanimation" friendly. We already have a couple zombies, a couple rescue-cyborgs, and a recurring necromancer. Plus, if hoping for future works at all, it'd be a shame to let all that design go to waste, as well as one of the few sympathetic Medici characters. Keeping with the horror theme, we already have a vampire and a big hairy wolf man, so I speculate...

Franken-Bella!!!

(Presumably dug up and experimented on by Brain Drain. With Valentine's betrayal and Big Band possibly adopting Painwheel, he's going to want a new recruit.)
  • Works well with the "innocent monster, terrible creator" theme
  • Would be an interesting dynamic for Horror! Bella to seek out and try to reunite with a visibly disgusted Vitale
After all... diamonds are forever...

Interesting, but no more undead characters please! We already have Squigly and Ms. Fortune for sure, a maybe for Leviathan (jumped to a dying/dead host powered by close-proximity Skullgirl power). Besides, Brain Drain is no Dr. Avian. He's a former psychic soldier for the ASG labs whose barbaric experiments border on butchery (look how unstable Painwheel is).

If Cerebella was undead, what would be the means? Vice Versa can't protect her from Skullgirl influence like Leviathan can for Squigly, and the Life Gem is in use. Synthetic parasites are amazing (see Peacock's creation of lifeforms and control over time and space), so there's an option. And again, since it's Brain Drain, she'll come out a sloppy mess (can barely stand, constant pain, resistant to control, almost forms sentences) not unlike Painwheel. Maybe I'll draw a Brain Drained Cerabella later...

franken-bella?
Not before I get my shadow bella.

I don't understand the premise of this thread. Bella gets beaten/killed in other people's story by that story mode's main character? So do most other characters...? And then there's instances where, like, in Fortune's story mode Fortune wins, and in Bell's story mode Bells kills her, and in Filia's story she beats Painwheel, but in Painwheel's story she beats Filia. And EVERYONE beats Marie, but I'm certain if Marie had a story mode she'd win against everyone. I can't recall Bella consistently losing a match against a character who's story mode you weren't playing, so canonically I don't think she's lost to anyone (and thus, how is she dead and made into a frankenstein...?).

^^^
THIS

Can I trade in the circus clown to get Patty or Avian back?

Don't really care about Avian (didn't even know anyone liked him...?), but Patty would be dope. Would prefer her not zombified, though.

Just because he doesn't have big tits flopping all over the place doesn't mean he can't be a likeable character.
Honestly he's done a hundred times more for the world than Cerebella ever did.

She's not a clown! :PUN:

I noticed that Cere takes more punishment than most, besides Marie and Double. Additionally, if the Medicis are in trouble (which they most likely are), this would knock her out for the duration while providing a way to bring her back for the aftermath. And I assumed Brain Drain was fairly competent when not Fukua-ing around, and noticed that there isn't a good Frankenstein analogue, so it seemed to fit. Plus, if Painwheel doesn't get adopted, having the lighter, healthier new girl in the organization would provide an interesting contrast/character development.

Also, I tend to draw a distinction between zombies/Frankensteins/vampires/etc, so it didn't seem like it would "undead things up" too much. Though now I wonder if the Skullgirl has any control over 48 Days Later style "Rage Zombies"?

As for Avian? Sure, bring him back, too, Peacock could use an Obi Wan. He'd make a nice advisory ghost type character. Or a Jacob Marley to Brain Drain's Ebenezer.

Sorry Dave, I like baseless speculation and I like looking into things too much,
But I don't think we run any risk on not including Cerebella in the next game. She IS da man after all!
And at the moment she hasn't died THAT much more than any of the other playable characters (all the girls haves died at least once and been defeated a whole bunch of times) so I don't think she'd need to be reanimated in order to continue with the (potentially not even continuing) series.

But like you I like to figure out how story modes relate to each other within the canon story.
Why's Medici Tower only destroyed in Big Band and Squigly's story modes? Why is it still standing in Eliza and Peacock's endings?
How about Irvin? He and Fortune team up way sooner in Big Band's story mode, maybe because Nadia had a chance to bump into him when she wasn't pursuing Marie, and thus found out about the Dagonian kidnappings sooner.

As for Avian? Sure, bring him back, too, Peacock could use an Obi Wan. He'd make a nice advisory ghost type character. Or a Jacob Marley to Brain Drain's Ebenezer.
So good!

Wow. Okay. Well. I'm going to ignore the assumption that I like Bella (or any character) cause of tits, cause that's got nothing to do with nothing.
Yeah it's kinda the contrary with me, I like her for being a spunky tomboy who loves fighting. Kinda why I like Peacock too.

He's the man that gave his whole life not only to fight the Skullheart but also help people everyone would think to be hopeless
He gave limbs to a little girl
how the fuck can you say that you monster
Regardless of what he's done, in story mode he shows up for two seconds and I'm pretty sure only in Peacocks' story. Didn't think that was enough to form a following (though I probably should have known better). And if he were to be resurrected (which would be a scientist bringing back a scientist), to what purpose? If he had a project that became a new character, what's the point of having that happen and not making Brain Drain the creator (who now has made 3 characters). And I like better Big Band and the rest continuing to act on what Avian would have wanted and saving abused little girls than him coming back personally.

Just because he doesn't have big tits flopping all over the place doesn't mean he can't be a likeable character.
Honestly he's done a hundred times more for the world than Cerebella ever did.
Wow. Okay. Well. I'm going to ignore the assumption that I like Bella (or any character) cause of tits, cause that's got nothing to do with nothing (though the answer is no, I don't, I like hat arms and Bella's showboating personality). I wasn't comparing Avian to Bella? Why is that comparison being made? In fact, my first post says pretty clearly "how can Cerebella come back if she isn't gone", thus not at all saying I think she's even in the pool of potential characters to bring back?

Well, that's not very nice

No, Dr. Avian has to stay dead. He's too smart. He would solve all of Lab 8's problems. Given more time, Dr. Avian probably would have invented a way to stop the Skullgirl cycle for good.

Dr. Avian: The Argus System not only lets her see everything, but the eyes also generate powerful Z-rays at the precise wavelength needed to disrupt a Skullgirls's essence.

He probably has a cell lined with Z-ray emitters to box the Skull Heart in forever. And a giant mason jar to pour Double into.

Hell, Dr. Avian is such a nice guy (Valentine doesn't think so, when she meets Peacock, she's disgusted that Dr. Avian is experimenting on children. A bit hypocritical, yeah?), he'd probably rescue and revive Cerebella as a cyborg like the rest of Lab 8.

To The Dave's point, Cerebella does get depicted as murdered the most. Not simply defeated in a fight, murked. Killed by Eliza and implied to be dead by Peacock and her imaginary running crew.

But I don't want a Franken-bella because Robo-Fortune is going to fill that roll. Creation vs. creator. But unlike Mary Shelley's book, swap the loathing and misery with puns and comedic annoyance. Beep boop meow.

OR PATTY

Y'know, it wouldn't surprise me if Brain Drain collected the bodies of the Last Hope and experimented on them. Each get "revived" with various technology (not unlike The Pack in the Gargoyles series). A mutant, a cyborg, a robot, armor, etc. Don't think Valentine will be too happy though...

You must be fun at parties
I don't attend parties, I have sensory issues. I'm pretty fun in small groups of 2-4, though.

Just checking, am I not supposed to respond to you two? I'm uncertain what's happening here.

To The Dave's point, Cerebella does get depicted as murdered the most. Not simply defeated in a fight, murked. Killed by Eliza and implied to be dead by Peacock and her imaginary running crew.
Two times isn't that much more than one time, but I guess. Though I'm not 100% that Peacock killed her, she could have just defeated her and took Vice-Versa so she couldn't use it anymore, and Ottomo's head is a robot, she could have let the little guy go. We haven't seen Peacock murder anyone on screen, unless I'm misremembering. Now, if Vice-Versa had blood on it, that'd be different, but the indication is that it was just tore up, unless there's confirmation from someone one way or the other.

But I don't want a Franken-bella because Robo-Fortune is going to fill that roll. Creation vs. creator. But unlike Mary Shelley's book, swap the loathing and misery with puns and comedic annoyance. Beep boop meow.
I'm starting to find the idea of Franken Bella hilarious because I'm thinking about Victor from Darkstalkers.
tumblr_n9jdbfcepJ1sibomdo1_400.gif

Who attacked with his butt cheeks. Like, his individual butt cheeks.

Last edited:
Sorry Dave, I like baseless speculation and I like looking into things too much,
But I don't think we run any risk on not including Cerebella in the next game. She IS da man after all!
And at the moment she hasn't died THAT much more than any of the other playable characters (all the girls haves died at least once and been defeated a whole bunch of times) so I don't think she'd need to be reanimated in order to continue with the (potentially not even continuing) series.
But like you I like to figure out how story modes relate to each other within the canon story.
Why's Medici Tower only destroyed in Big Band and Squigly's story modes? Why is it still standing in Eliza and Peacock's endings?
How about Irvin? He and Fortune team up way sooner in Big Band's story mode, maybe because Nadia had a chance to bump into him when she wasn't pursuing Marie, and thus found out about the Dagonian kidnappings sooner.

Ha! No apologies necessary; speculation's half the fun! And Double's ending kind of proved it's a loose canon anyways; a scene of the cast all viewing their terrible, painful deaths in each other's timelines could be amusing. "You did what!?" "Wait, I did what!??!?!!?"

Y'know, it wouldn't surprise me if Brain Drain collected the bodies of the Last Hope and experimented on them. Each get "revived" with various technology (not unlike The Pack in the Gargoyles series). A mutant, a cyborg, a robot, armor, etc. Don't think Valentine will be too happy though...

Fair; I had considered that Ms. Fortune's already stitched together, wasn't sure what to do with the observation. And I don't even know where to go with Robo Fortune speculation.

A "Revived Hope Pack" would be cool, though. Also, fitting if they're developed by ASG in the timeline where Valentine's the Skullgirl.

A Skullgirl Valentine would be terrifying. I wonder if she could maintain control of her free will long enough to annihilate Double.

Speaking of free will, that's one of the endearing factors to Cerebella. She's sided with the Medici family, but made sympathetic by her motivations, the outstanding trait being loyalty. Sure, her family is a bunch of criminal scumbags, but they're still her family. And she will do anything to protect them. Even crushing a pun-rambling catgirl. (I wonder about that scene: if Fortune was compacted back into the Life Gem shape or was her body squeezed into a red mist and the gem, separated, remained)

Just checking, am I not supposed to respond to you two? I'm uncertain what's happening here.

Welcome to the Internet. Where refuting evidence and disagreement is met with insults (read: you are a friendless loser lacking in social skills) and churlish goading (read: u mad?). I'm uncertain too, but hopefully they are just well-intentioned jests.

Reactions: Medici Mob Boss
A Skullgirl Valentine would be terrifying. I wonder if she could maintain control of her free will long enough to annihilate Double.

Speaking of free will, that's one of the endearing factors to Cerebella. She's sided with the Medici family, but made sympathetic by her motivations, the outstanding trait being loyalty. Sure, her family is a bunch of criminal scumbags, but they're still her family. And she will do anything to protect them. Even crushing a pun-rambling catgirl. (I wonder about that scene: if Fortune was compacted back into the Life Gem shape or was her body squeezed into a red mist and the gem, separated, remained)

Welcome to the Internet. Where refuting evidence and disagreement is met with insults (read: you are a friendless loser lacking in social skills) and churlish goading (read: u mad?). I'm uncertain too, but hopefully they are just well-intentioned jests.

It's been a while since I've played Val's story mode; I think she killed Double first, and then set herself up to be the Skullgirl and subsequently killed by Painwheel.

Also... It occurs to me that Cere could have just wished that Vitale had the Life Gem instead of crushing Fortune. Doesn't Word of Ahad say she's one of the few people pure enough to wish? Eh, I guess it just didn't occur to her; Bella's awesome, but she's not necessarily the brightest star in the show. And, depending on your point of view, the ulterior motive of "Find a solution that doesn't hurt anyone and makes everybody happy" could probably be argued to be selfish somehow.

"SKULL HEART!!!! I WISH... to discuss the terms of our partnership. I mean, you'll just turn me into some sort of necromancer anyway, right? Can we work out an arrangement where I maybe use you to fight for justice and wear a cape or something? No? Okay, can I at least have time off for pie once a week? Every two weeks? Oh, you suck."

Also... It occurs to me that Cere could have just wished that Vitale had the Life Gem instead of crushing Fortune. Doesn't Word of Ahad say she's one of the few people pure enough to wish? Eh, I guess it just didn't occur to her; Bella's awesome, but she's not necessarily the brightest star in the show. And, depending on your point of view, the ulterior motive of "Find a solution that doesn't hurt anyone and makes everybody happy" could probably be argued to be selfish somehow.
Actually, the story was originally planned for every character to have two endings, one where they wish on the Skullheart and one where they don't. Cerebella's wish on the Skullheart was for Vitale to love her, and he turned into like a love monster and killed everyone who wasn't her.

http://skullgirls.com/forums/index....ings-discovered-in-skullgirls-game-data.4374/

Reactions: Kai and BallotBoxer
Hey ladies and gents, I see some baiting going on here. Please stop and stay on topic.

Reactions: drewski
...and now I'm sad that I missed the perfect opportunity for "Cerebella Lugosi." Where's Ms. Fortune when you need her?
I gotta say... that was the slickest pun on Skullheart.

That is a nice reference.

ANYWAY, I actually have a feeling all this kick the dog stuff that Cerebella's going through is part of a grand scheme that revolves around the fact that she's the only one who was pure at heart enough to wish upon the Skullheart without being corrupted. Since she's (supposedly) such a pure character, and Lab Zero likes their cuties extra broken, it would make sense that Cerebella would get dogged the most by the bitch named Life. Even in the Alternate Endings, she wishes upon the Skullheart and ends up getting her family murdered (except Feng, thankfully), and, with how bleak things look already, probably turns into the Skullgirl anyway.

That's why I believe that her sole unforgivable deed (Killing Ms. Fortune) will come back to bite her severely. My favorite theory is that Ms. Fortune wasn't actually killed, but essentially jammed into the Life Orb, and she spent her time inside the Medici compound regenerating and plotting. And eventually she'll twist Cerebella's feelings about the whole murder thing, rise from the Life Orb in a twisted, manic fashion and will just go all Bloody Marie on the Medici from the inside-out, with Cerebella forced to watch.

Reactions: ReSpAwNz67
Sorry what was that, I completely lose all focus as soon as someone calls Cerebella pure or links to TV Tropes.

That's why I believe that her sole unforgivable deed (Killing Ms. Fortune) will come back to bite her severely.
Assuming Cerebella's story ending is canon. Which it isn't. Cerebella IS canonically pure of heart, though. deal with it

Cerebella IS canonically pure of heart, though.
How many times is someone going to have to tell you that Alex Ahad literally said "Marie's remark was not supposed to be taken literally, she just meant that Cerebella is mostly untouched by the darker dealings of the Medici."

I guess once would be fine? First time I remember hearing that. Link?

Sorry, I guess I confused you with one of the other numerous clown fans that I've told that too.
I wish I had a dollar for every time I've had to share that little tidbit of information.

Also sorry but I don't have a link, in one of the earlier Salty Streams Alex Ahad was answering questions and of course he had to tell someone that Cerebella isn't literally "Pure." I still don't see why that needs to be said, it's so obvious.

I sorta wish someone was able to keep the archive of all these Q&A's with him. Cause atm it's "Yeah, I certainly remember him saying it!" even though in that canon thread link people said he confirmed Feng a lesbian but now he doesn't. So I can trust it, but I can't really. I'm not a clown btw

As for the story, she's directly called pure. I don't see how that could be misleading either.

So I can trust it, but I can't really.
I guess there's really not much else for me to say other than fine, believe what you want.
Ignorance is bliss I guess.

I was under the impression that wishes are inherently selfish (Word of God... somewhere), therefore anyone "pure" enough to avoid Skullgirlization would be too pure to wish. By this logic, Fortune's also pure. Er, pure enough, at least. At any rate, I never got the impression Cere enjoys hurting people (Unlike, say, Eliza or Valentine). Any beatings she inflicts for the Medicis are probably rationalized as "My family wants this, and I'm just roughing them up a bit. They'll be fine."

I sorta wish someone was able to keep the archive of all these Q&A's with him. Cause atm it's "Yeah, I certainly remember him saying it!" even though in that canon thread link people said he confirmed Feng a lesbian but now he doesn't. So I can trust it, but I can't really. I'm not a clown btw

As for the story, she's directly called pure. I don't see how that could be misleading either.
To be fair I spent the whole week combing through every Salty Cupcakes archive to try to confirm the Feng thing and couldn't find any collaborating evidence (this was back when we only had about a dozen or so lore streams and before Twitch decided to delete old archives btw). Since it was never confirmed apart from by a couple of people's vague memories, I have specifically stated that this is unreliable information at best.

Basically, unless specifically said otherwise, all pieces of information in the first posts are information I have confirmed personally with collaborating evidences. In hindsight I should have sourced them properly but unfortunately it's a bit too late to redo them all now. For the later additions, the corresponding posts I or others made on the thread should indicate where/when the information was obtained.

FYI, the info about Cerebella not being "literally pure" was from Maji's call with Alex. :p

Reactions: Denizen
Ask for source, get called ignorant. Love the internet.

Here's the source, btw, was able to find it thanks to Chrono. Now, in the future, you can actually provide a link when people ask for one instead of being a dick. The question is at the 10:42 mark.

"literally pure"
So, I'm looking up what it means to be "pure" and "pure of heart". Cause those phrases are thrown around a lot in a lot of places. I'm not religious, but there's this web page I found with some definitions (going to edit out bits that aren't relevant):

"The Greek word for “pure” is katharos. It means to be “clean, blameless, unstained from guilt.”"

"The Greek word for “heart” in is kardeeah. This refers to the spiritual center of life. It is where thoughts, desires, sense of purpose, will, understanding, and character reside. So, to be pure in heart means to be blameless in who we actually are."

"Being pure in heart involves having a singleness of heart. A pure heart has no hypocrisy, no guile, no hidden motives. The pure heart is marked by transparency and an uncompromising desire to please (someone) in all things. It is more than an external purity of behavior; it is an internal purity of soul."

Personally, the way I look at it is that it is a lot simpler: the person who stated that Cerebella was "pure" was Marie. Even with the influence of the Skull Heart, she is still a human who has a relative view of pureness. The full line for that is "Strange - you are pure, somehow untainted by the company that keeps you", as in she is expressing surprise at her level of purity despite hanging out with the Medici gang, whose members that Marie has encountered so far are probably a lot less pure of heart than Cerebella. In the same sense that I might describe someone as a good person, but obviously I know that no one can be perfectly good and there must be some level of badness in them.

On the other hand, the Skull Heart takes an absolutist view of purity when judging wishes, and any measure of impureness in the wish will be taken as enough to judge the wish impure and turn the wisher into the Skullgirl. That's just the monkey-paw-ish way that the Skull Heart operates.