• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Beowulf SPOILERS - Beowulf Story Mode and Other Lore

It's a joke.
There's no real grandiose canon explanation, it's just a joke on how wrestlers will tear through sheets with their insignia/image on them.

Either a) she didn't actually think he would survive fighting Marie so it wasn't a big deal or b) as shown in her own story mode, Double does not like Marie as a Skullgirl and saw this as an opportunity to rub her out, given that that's what she'd been using Beowulf for the rest of his story mode.
beowulf spinning the hurting into a throne MMMMMMMMMMM

Reactions: The Dave
It takes 3 or 4 people to kill just the Skullgirl, in the canon story mode, and Beowulf + Annie tag teamed evil by themselves.
3-4 people...do tell. *Whips out notebook*
Everybody just wants whoever their favorite character is to be as powerful as Eliza. That's never gonna happen, dudes :P
Eliza is definitely in a whole different league than most of the cast. I wouldn't be surprised if it takes another boss tier character to take her down.

What's so bad with Vodka in the coffee? i've done it before and it's not that bad.

Also yeah, Eliza is canonicaly more than likely the most powerful char in the roster, not even Filia and Squigly tagging up and fighting at their full potential could bring her down, or Double in her own world.

Besides, i second this question:

When's playable Gehenna.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
3-4 people for a standard Skullgirl.

Marie's considered weak by Skullgirl standards.
That was pointed out more than once in other story modes, like Double's, Marie never got to use the skullheart at it's full potential.

That was pointed out more than once in other story modes, like Double's, Marie never got to use the skullheart at it's full potential.

she was probably too busy being a rebellious teen

MARIE BED NOW.png

3-4 characters for *Marie*. Other Skullgirls took a lot more.
how did you get a banner that says you're officially bayowulf

i want a banner that tells me im officially double how do i go about applying for the nun

edit: ok he actually voices bayowulf but my offer still stands i wanna be the nun

3-4 characters for *Marie*. Other Skullgirls took a lot more.
Would those 3-4 people be ones with special powers? The best of the best in weaponry?

Reactions: Kai
Would those 3-4 people be ones with special powers? The best of the best in weaponry?
He's referring to 3-4 people from the playable cast, so yeah.

One thing that I have noticed.

A common theme in all story modes so far is: The characters triumph or fail depending of their companionship.

Filia, Squigly... You don't play with them alone. You play as Filia and Samson, you play as Squigly and Leviathan.

All the characters that have some degree of triumph have someone:

-Filia has Samson and Carol
-Squigly has Leviathan
-Peacock and Big Band have Lab 8
-Parasoul has the Egrets
-Ms. Fortune has Minette and Yu-Wan
-Double has the Trinity
-Eliza has Sekhmet, Albus and Horace
-Beowulf has Annie and Grendel
-Annie herself says that she had someone similar to Beowulf. I am curious about that.

These characters whose names don't appear in the selection screen offer power, guidance, knowledge, emotional support...

Now let's see:

-Cerebela chooses to follow Vitale who is cruel and manipulative. She ends up regretting her final story decision.
-Painwheel has Lab Zero. Sarcastic hooray.
-Valentine is alone. She does pretty fucked up stuff in some stories and sacrifices herself in hers.

Take into account that the unused alternate endings for these three are also not happy.

-Fukua. Well... She is not alright.

It is important to have good company.
You forgot parasoul had umbrela in her story You heartless monster ( the heartless monster thing is a joke)

Reactions: Osmiumsmith
In the actual canon it takes 4 for Marie? what canon? will there really be a single canon line?

No one knows if there's a canon time-line, Alex has one planned out (I think) but it will probably be a while if we see it if at all.

For Canon story mode we still need Playable Marie, Umbrella, and Black Dahlia.

7 pages of catch-up later...

Wow! What a story mode! As someone who had Annie as the top pick for both votes, I was thrilled to see her cameo appearances, but the story was still heavily in Beowulf's favor. She didn't steal the show, she just made what was awesome even better. I'm very happy with how the story turned out.

I saw the Zane McDougal imposter reveal coming from a mile away. I even had his voice in my head played by Cam Clarke, who played "Master McDonnell Benedict Miller" in Metal Gear Solid. "Snake, did you like my sunglasses?"

Lore bits to consider:
  • Canopians are fudged up! Wrestling death matches for national morale? What is this, Ancient Rome? What a horrifying night for Grendel and his Ma. How did arm-ripping come into it? Surely they were just sparring and Grendy had a heart attack, his mother loses her cool and starts rampaging?
  • Valentine on the battlefields of the Grand War. Tell me you weren't impressed after seeing glimpses of Gigan's in the flashbacks, and thinking of real life-and-death war. I want a spin-off game for the Grand War. Chess Kingdom has magic and the Gigan Nation have terrifying giants. Think of all the chaos. Maybe the Last Hope, Big Band, and Ileum were there too.

How did arm-ripping come into it? Surely they were just sparring and Grendy had a heart attack, his mother loses her cool and starts rampaging?
It wasn't mentioned anywhere that Grendel had a heart attack. He may have been drugged, but he was still fighting his hardest in a fight to the death, and a fight to the death just might involve ripping an arm off.

likes "fluorescent light tubes". Oh wow. Someone read my posts about light tube deathmatches...or alternatively is as much of a nerd as I am. For those that don't know since ecw went away smaller feds have cropped up trying to push things even further..meaning broken glass, light tubes, power tools, etc.

Also ow...

like "microbrews" it's cause he dresses like a hipster isn't it?

dislikes "Professional writing staff" reference to wwe's creative department..famous for getting tired with superstars and not having anything for them over time. Colt Cabana's Creative has nothing for you series covers this reference pretty well.

dislikes "snakes" both a reference to indiana jones and jake the snake roberts attacking people with his pet snake Damion.

dislikes "spray on tans" actually really common in the industry.

Last edited:
  • Canopians are fudged up! Wrestling death matches for national morale? What is this, Ancient Rome? What a horrifying night for Grendel and his Ma. How did arm-ripping come into it? Surely they were just sparring and Grendy had a heart attack, his mother loses her cool and starts rampaging?

"The one time the government and the Medici's worked together" - Double.

I'm guessing this was when the King was still alive and was in charge rather than Parasoul (if he isn't in the present, i dunno about this), and he agreed with the Medici's to make a set up.

For Canon story mode we still need Playable Marie, Umbrella, and Black Dahlia.

Too bad the game will be done after Robo-Fortune, so it's not gonna happen.

Positive thinking maybe one day we will get some kind of canon story.

also he's the same age as john cena and his measurements roughly mirror brock lesnar.

I'm having a hard time grappling with it being a deathmatch. I mean, was Grendel a death-row convict and the match was a big publicity-stunt execution? Would you tune-in to a wrestling match with one contestant is guaranteed to die?

I'm throwing in the heart attack angle because Grendel was drugged and it gives an easy, accidental death to the poor Gigan and clears Beowulf from being a willing murderer. Beowulf may be naive, but he stands for what's right. I can't see him going into the ring intending to kill Grendel. I'd like it more if things got out of hand (oops, ripped off an arm) by accident.

Too bad the game will be done after Robo-Fortune, so it's not gonna happen.
Hey, someone has to be optimistic that, if Lab Zero is willing, sometime in the future we'll see Skullgirls grow some more.

Besides, all three of the IGG characters I wanted were trapped in Doubles body. I've smelled blood in the water.

Do we need another crowd fund? Cuzco honestly, you all know people would vote minette over Annie. It happened before

shush shush shush..not the the time or the place even if true.

I do but this is the beowulf background and spoiler thread not lets wax poetically about the possibility of another indygogo and argue back and forth thread.

Friendly reminder that Beowulf did all that without magical powers

He originally was smart and had magical powers but Lab Zero had to nerf him to a tier below the Trinity.

You forgot parasoul had umbrela in her story You heartless monster ( the heartless monster thing is a joke)

Goddammit ,she will be even more salty now. :P

He originally was smart and had magical powers but Lab Zero had to nerf him to a tier below the Trinity.
He was also a pretty boy and had a sword.

Reactions: Osmiumsmith
He was also a pretty boy and had a sword.
Man, what a fucking Marty Stu he was. I am glad he is the way he is now.

And I say it as a guy that was originally salty after the vote. Lab Zero showing their good work.

Reactions: Denizen
I still don't get why Grendel was like "Let's just settle this on the battleground" without any hint of rage. It seemed more like a friendly-ish rivalry fight and not "You cheated and then killed me I'm going to f'n bash your head in now". I mean, I'd be a little more upset after being drugged and unfairly slaughtered.

Warrior cultures are weird, and there's a lot we don't know about Gigans. Plus, I thought I read somewhere before Beo's story mode Grendel survived the fight. Obviously not the case now. Still, it was a very honest mistake. "A fool, but an honest one." Beowulf is best Pippin!

I'm a little disappointed in Fool Wolf Moon, but that's mostly just because I like my heroes clever and self-initiating. For instance, I wanted Beo to use Grendel's arm's attraction to the Skullheart to flying-punch his way out of the gross, sticky walls of doom. That would've been cool.

I'm also a little disappointed in Grendel being drugged. Makes Beo seem less badass. Still, in-character I thought he handled the revelation pretty well.

RE Valentine:

"I'm an immortal blood goddess!"

"I'm the shapeshifting avatar of Time and Space"

"I'm a one-man arsenal."

"I wear Superman for a hat. A literal hat."

"...I DO COCAINE"

Finally, now that Sekhmet has a shiny new theme song, I really want Star Wulf v Eliza. All aboard the "Well deserved vacation and then SG2" train!

Not anymore.

They'll have seen the light now.

Annie's reign has only just begun.

thats what they want you to think #aeon4dlc

Did anyone find it strage the AMMOUNT of annie expressions for her interaction in the story mode?.. They were even more than Beo's.. This is way too much suspicious for them to create so many different poses and expression for her just to be on the story as a guest character....... Or maybe it's just my imagination.

"We'll see you again, Star Child..."

"You remind me of someone who helped me when I needed it most"

All of this foreshadowing to my stargirl.

thats what they want you to think #aeon4dlc

Can't we all agree they should both get in?

Not before Feng that is. #Feng4DLC.

I just realized the penguin referee didn't appear at all.

Not even in gameplay!

I, uh, don't use Beowulf very well.

...Might have run into a little trouble even playing his story on Normal.

Also, "MacDougal?" "Double"? Nice. Though I'm sure there are a tone other references I missed.

Also, in hindsight, Beo vs Big Band could've had a nice They Live style "Put on the glasses" vibe instead. Come to think of it, that would've fit really well, what with the Double manipulation thing.

Oh, well, I still have that one Saints Row IV mission with Rowdy Roddy Piper and Kieth David.

Reactions: BallotBoxer