• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter 4

You know, I'd be disappointed in Youtube comments if it weren't...Youtube comments.

Alrighty! Last giant wall of text reiterating everything I said before because someone probably wants something they can easily copy and paste.

Creating a brand new fighting game character from scratch costs a lot of money.
This is the biggest thing that people seem to overlook. I'm gonna bring up that fact again that L0 made brand new characters from the IGG campaign at a loss. I'm also tired of bringing up this tweet Haunts made back when people were skeptical of the IGG funding required for Squigly.

Let's not forget that this isn't just introducing a character for any other game; Developing a character in a fighting game is pretty much developing a brand new aspect to the existing game. Being able to recycle an entire character when it comes to art is going to cut costs substantially if it doesn't need drastic modifications.

Just because someone modded a complex model in doesn't mean it's easy to make those assets in the first place.
"X artist created an awesome looking model/skin for USF4! Your argument for prices is invalid!" is the dumbest argument you can make. Every modded in model I have seen for USF4 does not include customized animation rigging, which is one of the most important aspects of setting up 3D models for actual use in a game. No, bring able to set anchor points for cloth/hair physics is not even comparable.

To put simply, modders simply do not have to do as much work to get a working model ready, as the rest of it simply piggybacks on work already done by Capcom in the first place. Even manipulating the existing skeleton of the model because they're still using work already done by Capcom. Rigging a model completely from scratch isn't as easy as manipulating an existing skeleton.

It's a bad argument and is practically insulting to people who have to rig said models from scratch for a profession.

The face of a model is one of the most complicated parts of a model to rig and is why they didn't make a new head.
For comparison, a hand will need 18 joints when rigging a 3D model for animation. A face needs far more. Capcom recycling Cammy's head for this cuts them a lot of costs as the actual skeleton for rigging is already there if needed, and saves a lot of money compared to creating an actual head from scratch and syncing it onto Cammy's body. You don't have to imagine the silliness of having a head not properly synched to body animations.

And I'm saying this without knowing whether she'll actually have her mask off ingame during her Rival cutscene in story mode, in which case they would have paid their art team just to not just slap a mask on Cammy, but also retexture it for scarring. Surprise! Even retexturing a head costs money because art team.
And guess what? Even with all that, they would still save money compared to making a new head from scratch.

Capcom is focusing its efforts on next gen and that's where most of the money is going.
I'll be honest here; If not for the fact that 4th generation consoles being here, we might have gotten something that isn't Decapre.
They've projected that they have to work anywhere between eight to ten times as much to develop games for the PS4 and XBO and had to make a brand new engine from scratch not to just make it easier on their team, but to streamline processes that would take far longer (and thus eat more money) if they stuck with MT Framework.

If you wanted to know where their money is going, you now know where it is; It's being spent on developing a brand new engine that is flexible enough to handle any next-gen game they want to make in the future and a new development structure, just so they can start working on next gen instead because *gasp* they're actually working on next gen!

It doesn't stop there though. Even when the new Panta Rhei engine technically complete once Deep Down hits its development deadline, there will be work under the hood that nobody in public is going to see, and because I haven't said it enough, that costs money too.

This doesn't even go into things like n-squared balancing problems, how just relying on internal testing for balancing is bad but they have to pay for that anyway, and how shipping out builds for location tests costs money.
I bring up that last bit because someone is inevitably gonna bring up Mike Z bringing new builds to Salty just about every week, but he isn't contractually obliged to keep the development under wraps and does all of it at his own expense.

This doesn't excuse Capcom for things like leaving the Megaman license in limbo, or the SFxT on-disc DLC "problem", but at least try to understand that when when it comes to game development at companies even trying to put out AAA titles or provide a substantial update to them, it gets ridiculously expensive, and Capcom at this point has to choose between focusing on developing their infrastructure for next gen, or stalling that and redirect funding towards one of their flagship titles.

They practically lucked out by having a character in-universe that's practically a clone from an art perspective, because that means more money for Capcom working on next gen. In the long term, this can mean an actual Street Fighter 5 coming out that much more quickly.

That doesn't mean Decapre's free to develop though. Even clones are gonna cost money to develop. Blech.

And I'm saying this without knowing whether she'll actually have her mask off ingame during her Rival cutscene in story mode, in which case they would have paid their art team just to not just slap a mask on Cammy, but also retexture it for scarring. Surprise! Even retexturing a head costs money because art team.
Decapre's face *has* been retextured. You can see the scarring in some of the gameplay footage if you look real carefully.

Decapre's face *has* been retextured. You can see the scarring in some of the gameplay footage if you look real carefully.
Well I'll be damned.

If I had anything to hate her for, it's just that she's a reminder that this would have all cost so much more if it was an actual brand new character.

Hi.

I worked with a guy on Battlefront who rigged a model with a full skeleton in a few hours and the facial rig in a few more.
I'm pretty sure, since Capcom can also piggyback on work done by Capcom, that they could have done a new model or at least modified the existing model more.
It smacks of laziness, sir.

If there's one thing I'm not going to contest, it's just this really.
It's the laziest thing they could do, and they could have maybe done more, but at this point I'm pretty sure they're cutting as many corners they possibly could so they can direct those funds towards next gen development. That or crazy budget restrictions.

I'd say justified laziness (and I'm sure I'd get shot for considering saying that), but that depends on how much money they're throwing at developing the Panta Rhei engine and outside of the actual figures they threw out, it's ultimately all speculation at this point because I'm not a Capcom insider and we'll probably never actually know what the budget for Ultra was or how said budget was managed.

Either way, I'd say it's really just a situation that just a bad taste in my mouth and I hope I never have to explain the possible reasons behind it all ever again.

And if it turns out I'm completely wrong about the whole thing, I will gladly wear a custom forum title that says "Was Completely Wrong" in a pink ribbon. With unicorns.

Or some other demeaning title like "Lord of Misinformation". I need something to remind me of how stupid I can be at times.

Last edited:
Yeah I'm pretty sure it was going to be lazy or nothing at all.

Decapre looks fun though.

Hi.

I worked with a guy on Battlefront who rigged a model with a full skeleton in a few hours and the facial rig in a few more.
I'm pretty sure, since Capcom can also piggyback on work done by Capcom, that they could have done a new model or at least modified the existing model more.

They could have been lazier, they could have kept Vega's claw instead of making the switch to punching daggers. Also the shading job on her feels lazy? Her model looks really bright compared to everyone else's.

but yeah, give whoever made the trailer a paycut, because it showed nothing that actually made Decapre unique, just a bunch of Cammy bnbs.

as much as I like how smooth Decapre looks in her current state, I wouldn't mind a little bit of texture added to her model.

Reactions: YoYoCheese
Hey Decapre! What's your favorite Pokemon?

index.jpg

:PUN:

Huh. I thought it’s because the eggs look nearly identical to each other except some minor differences, much like Cammy and Decapre. But I don’t even know the English names of the Pokémon, only the German ones, so that pun is lost on me anyways.

I think from an optical standpoint, her favorite Pokémon would be this:

Sugimori_203.png

2 faces of the same being, very unique but also alike, bound together by fate eternally. Or by M. Bisons genetic scientists, whatever suits you more.

Or, you know, simply all the ones who look like dogs, because she likes dogs.

Am I really writing all that stuff based on a pun about which Pokémon is the favorite of a Street Fighter? God I really need to sleep.

Reactions: Clawsome Bombs
I thought Cammy was a cat person? even one of her outfits is a shitty catwoman cosplay..

Apparently Decapre is a dog person, though...
But that was Abel's thing. The point of his character design was being the polar opposite of Cammy while sharing numerous similarities in terms of appearance and back story.

i don't think anyone even cares about Abel
beyond the 5 people that play as him

But that was Abel's thing. The point of his character design was being the polar opposite of Cammy while sharing numerous similarities in terms of appearance and back story.
Exactly. Polar opposite of Cammy, not Decapre.....who seems to hate cammy.....and have a very different personality.

I like the full-face mask more than her current "cropped-at-the-mouth" one. Heck, wouldn't that also remove needing to rig the face? That'd make something like a new hairstyle a little more affordable. Not that I mind, really- I just hear people saying just a new hairstyle would make her more favourable.

I like the full-face mask more than her current "cropped-at-the-mouth" one. Heck, wouldn't that also remove needing to rig the face? That'd make something like a new hairstyle a little more affordable. Not that I mind, really- I just hear people saying just a new hairstyle would make her more favourable.
Given that one of her key features is her badly-burned face, I'd be willing to bet that at least one of her DLC costumes will have her without the mask. I agree that a different hairstyle would help individuate her, though.

I would love it if she had a Shroud costume
Shroud.jpg

Dead serious.
Cuz Shroud is awesome.

thats probably what the delay is for.
Lets hope for that. Lets also hope that they don't screw up the netcode in the process. I don't live in a particular big city in Sweden, but I've played people in Brazil with really good connections

I'm hype for decapre, she's high offense and i'm always down for that.

Overall, it feels nice to play Chun-Li, Evil Ryu and Juri right now

Rose and cody got some decent buffs

people STILL won't use the goddamn knife :(

because the knife is a risk to go and get, plus, it means cody doesn't get rocks when he has the knife.

Doesn't the knife break armor now? Or Am I completely lost

yup, but even with that, people just don't get the darn thing from the ground...
too much risk and effort to set this up right and you still lose it using bad stone, focus or getting hit just once

Anyone down for some games tonight? PSN ofc.

Last edited:
so I kinda want to learn how to play but I have no Idea where to start, I like Rose but wow this game doesnt help much

Reactions: Covenant
If you're going from SG to SFIV, my two pieces of advice would be
1. No jumping allowed
2. Don't mash

too bad Rose has a projectile that takes forever to come out :/
she also doesnt seem to have that good of a wake up attack, the best i can think of is EX Reflect