• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

The funny thing is I never played Street Fighter III But I appreciate Q for what he is.
Always a fan of those hardboiled detective looking motherfuckers.
I DID play Alpha 3 when I was a little Jutseiling though.

you know honestly
I think the footage so far looks too
pee ess for grafix tech demo and less like it's own style
the particle effects are obnoxious and the lighting makes everything so dark and muddy
It has some really neat stuff going for it like smashing wall and noodles
and while I expect the HUD to change, the one that they have now is super clean and sleek

I just want the game to come into a style of its own, because right now it doesn't really -have- one, imo

Reactions: Kongk4
I agree with Ruin about the absence of a distinct art style. I like the darker lighting though, and the slightly more human-looking character designs. Feels like maybe a little bit more serious tone for this game, which I am super down for.

SF4 already went overboard with the whole SRS ARTSTYLE shit that I really don't want them to continue the trend
the best part of SF4 were the non-serious ones and I loathe any game that tries too hard to be serious

Reactions: Ein Blitz
I don't know, SF4 seems a little bit goofy in some places, especially in the visual style. Even Third Strike feels a little more serious. Either way, the noodle hat proves the game will have some light-hearted aspects, so no need to worry.

Reactions: Kai and Shockdingo
I'm hoping that stages come back as a relevant feature and the noodle hat is only the beginning in terms of stage interactivity. I wanna knock someone into a fountain and have a frog jump on them or send someone flying into a fruit stand (so that the gimmick isn't limited to funny things on fighter's heads).

Okay so I'm not the only one who thinks this.
People were raving about how it looks so much better than 4, but it looks the same, just with some graphical improvements.
Maybe it'll get better with time, and the artstyle isn't going to dissuade me from playing the game, but it just looks bleh.

Chances are that if Sony was putting up cash to fund the game that Capcom didn't want to risk ruining things by making something goofy looking - realism is a safe choice. I'd be satisfied if they eventually lose the ink effect in favour of something closer to the elements (i.e. the water looks more water-y, etc.).

Noodlehat is fine, though I'd prefer if it was to fall off after the character gets hit or something. Most of the other stuff seems interesting, so as long as the systems are well thought out and the character choices are decent, I'm there.

In other news, this article has been doing the rounds of various sites and nobody has posted it here yet. Thoughts? I presonally disagree with practically everything that's mentioned there.

I never even noticed the Noodle hat, that's a nice touch.
I'm all for the stage more inactive, even if it's in small ways.

I also agree with the notion of a Fruit Stand getting knocked over.
Can we also have a pair of guys randomly carrying a pane of glass while we're at it?

Community challenge mode is something I'd personally like to see implemented in any fighting game where it can be, partly because the challenge modes that ship with these games are not as relevant to someone who already knows how to play. Capcom has the resources to do it, and user-generated content keeps a community going long-term.

Other than that the list is kind of dumb. Input shortcuts? Blazblue does that every installment and nobody uses it. Tatsunoko vs. Capcom included it and it broke the game.

Why do people keep asking for input shortcuts? They help nobody. The reason why beginners don't stick with a game is because they don't understand what is going on, not because they can't do a special move. Obscuring the mechanics hurts beginners by making it harder to learn how the game is played. Making the execution ceiling lower helps good players more than it helps bad players.

In other news, this article has been doing the rounds of various sites and nobody has posted it here yet. Thoughts? I presonally disagree with practically everything that's mentioned there.

1. Some characters from SFII

"Let’s not forget the abysmal popularity of Street Fighter III. Hell, a lot of people didn’t even know it existed!"

Could someone please direct me to the universe that this person comes from?
Even ignoring that, SFII had pretty much had a full game of nostalgia in the form of SFIV. We really don't need a second one.

2. Community Customizable Challenge Mode

This one actually sounds pretty cool, but it's hardly something that I would call a 'must have' feature.

3. Input Shortcuts

What kind of input shortcuts are we talking about?
If we're talking about the 'right-stick mapped to things' style, then fine, I guess, but not really a must-have, and could potentially cripple players moving from pad to other input methods.
If we're talking about input leniency, then no please, I would like to be able to walk forward -> fireball again.

4. Comeback Mechanics

"Comeback mechanics"
"Parries"

Since when did defense suddenly become comeback? Is blocking a comeback mechanic too?
Even without that, I'm generally not a fan of anything in fighting games that rewards you for failing. I was okay with Ultras, but anything more major then 'here is a super for your troubles' would probably be a bit too much.

5. A F2P Model

Why are you linking to bad Onion articles?

if SF4 was a love letter to SF2
can this be one to Alpha and 3

It already has combos and Charlie, that's all you get.

What kind of input shortcuts are we talking about?
If we're talking about the 'right-stick mapped to things' style, then fine, I guess, but not really a must-have, and could potentially cripple players moving from pad to other input methods.

I don't know, even this could potentially break the game depending on it's coded. TvC had issues because it had Wii remote support where every single input was easy automatic, leading to Wii remote players doing things that were pretty much physically impossible with other controllers.

leaked image of charlie
41D043504480-418043B043B044E043C0438043D043004420_zps4bb29ba0.png

If we're talking about a button does the special move for you, then ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh no. SFIV 3DS did that and it became real dumb with all the Guiles that were jumping around doing Sonic Booms and Flash Kicks instantaneously.

Reactions: Immaevilspacewhale
you all say that charge characters are dumb.
but then you got them as pretty much motion characters.
not so dumb now are they?

The gameplay looks slow, sluggish, and weird but thats okay because pre alpha. Hopefully it changes for the better.

Don't care if shortcut input options are in the game or not so its whatever to me.

I hope they don't bring back that many old characters and just make new ones.

And I REALLY hope that if it ends up being a "new alpha" its a new Alpha 2, and not a new Alpha 3. ;__;7

I just hope Chun keeps that slide. I wanna go under some fireballs

Wait why all the hate on charge characters? I play both Guile and Elena so I have a mix of both but damn so much hate for the charge. And yes macro move buttons is really really stupid so I can completely understand that.

I don't hate charge characters. I just hated how the lite controls on the 3DS port made the charges pointless.

Where is the charge char hate I didn't see it?

Charge characters are my shit ahaaaa

O the 3DS being a shitty port. I feel it. It made Zangief broke as fuck too haha

people "hate" on charges nowadays because some salty scrublord lost to a charge character and said "all charge characters are brainless" or some DSP shit like that.

I use to think charge characters were pointless. until I wanted to main E.Honda. now I love him and Guile and Charlie. Chun I feel is better as a motion.

I never played the 3DS port because...well...it's a 3DS port. Honestly fighting games don't tend to have a good history on handhelds (the only exception I can think of was Darkstalkers Chronicle on PSP, that was a legit really good port once you fixed the PSPs D-pad issues.)

I think Alpha 3 Max was good too.
and DarkStalkers Chaos Tower.
and any KOF is fine on a PSP/Vita.

Darkstalkers Chaos Tower is Chronicle and I never played Alpha 3 Max on PSP so can't comment on that.

charge characters have low IQ yes

I know this is just conjecture at this point, but I'm all for the (apparently) increased hitstun that some people are bitching about. Anything that lessens arbitrary execution thresholds to reasonable levels is good with me. SF4's quadruple 3f links (and the like) always struck me as pointlessly hardcore, especially when they're regularly dropped at the highest level of play.

charge characters have low IQ yes

Well I'm missing the "I" if that's what you mean

I know this is just conjecture at this point, but I'm all for the (apparently) increased hitstun that some people are bitching about. Anything that lessens arbitrary execution thresholds to reasonable levels is good with me. SF4's quadruple 3f links (and the like) always struck me as pointlessly hardcore, especially when they're regularly dropped at the highest level of play.

I'm fine with increased hitstun, so long as infinites and other ridiculous touch of death combos are dealt with in an adequate fashion. It means just one less game that I have to murder my hands to play.

I agree with that, one thing I liked about older SF games (3s, A2, ST) is that outside of a few character specific things. Nothing was truly THAT difficult in terms of execution.

What WAS hard, was how important it was to read, outspace, and outsmart the opponent. Thats what made those games hard.

Not fucking tedious 1 frame link combos that may or may not work depending on spacing and CH or not. I'm all for making games difficult but I like it when its difficult because your FOOTSIES have to be on point, not because you dedicated a week of your life learning how to plink.

SF4 is great and all and I love it, I think its a good game... but i'm all for getting rid of tedious shit in ANY fighting game.

1. Some characters from SFII

"Let’s not forget the abysmal popularity of Street Fighter III. Hell, a lot of people didn’t even know it existed!"

Could someone please direct me to the universe that this person comes from?
Even ignoring that, SFII had pretty much had a full game of nostalgia in the form of SFIV. We really don't need a second one.

Umm SF3 sold really poorly and pretty much killed the main-line SF series for like 9 years.

Keep in mind, 90% or more of the people who buy fighting games are casuals and couldn't care less about the finer details of the mechanics. They just want to pick their favorite character, mash their way to victory in arcade mode a few times, see all the cool super-move animations and put the game on the shelf with the rest of their single player games that they've finished. All the casual player is going to see is they pick up the game and they can't play Guile or Honda or Balrog or Blanka or Bison or Vega or Zangief... They also can't play Adon or Sakura or Rose or Gen... SF3: A New Generation launched with only two returning characters, Ryu and Ken. Chun and Akuma wouldn't be seen until a few years later. Even at this point... 3 of the returning classic cast are Shotos. Pretty much all of the iconic cast from the original games were gone.

Can you imagine how people would react if there was a Skullgirls 2 released and Filia was the only returning character? A LOT of people would be confused and frustrated that their favorite character got axed in favor of an entirely new cast of characters that they've never heard of and don't have any attachment too. For the casual fanbase (who, again, make up most of the game's sales and therefore profits) your character roster is what will sell the fighting game game for you.

Reactions: Dime
What WAS hard, was how important it was to read, outspace, and outsmart the opponent. Thats what made those games hard.
That's pretty much the heart of it, for me. I'm okay with being out-played. It's the just-because, "difficulty," I can't take.

Can you imagine how people would react if there was a Skullgirls 2 released and Filia was the only returning character? A LOT of people would be confused and frustrated that their favorite character got axed in favor of an entirely new cast of characters that they've never heard of and don't have any attachment too.
I agree with your points, but I actually think Skullgirls is a bad example. I think they could totally get away with it. If SG2 had Annie, Umbrella, Hive, Leduc, Stanley, Brain Drain, Dahlia, Adam, etc, I think people would still be on board.