• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

I, for one, look forward to playing Morrigan Chun Li

People forget that Ryu can stack hits on his fireballs. With 3 or 4 hits stacked, he can easily clear that out. Heck, I'm more worried about Ryu since he keeps his hit stacks even when his stance runs out, unlike Chun.

On a related note, in EventHubs' interview, Ono has confirmed that SFV will use rollback netcode.
KarbyP: When it comes to online play, according to numerous fighting game fans, the netcode in Katsuhiro Harada's Tekken series is best-in-class, beating out the online play experience in Street Fighter.

So we're wondering if Ono is confident that Street Fighter 5's netcode will be able to knock Tekken's netcode out of the park, this time around.

Ono: We're losing to the Tekken series in terms of the netcode?

KarbyP: (Bluntly) Why, yes!

Ono: I don't really feel that's the case though, that we're losing to Tekken on that *laughs*.

KarbyP: (Realizes what he said was rather blunt) ...Well, what I mean is, it's been several years since Super Street Fighter 4 was released [and Ultra Street Fighter 4's online modes were basically built on top of SSF4's netcode], so the netcode and online functionality for the SF4 series hasn't really evolved that much [to the level that the Tekken series has].

Ono: Ah, I see. Well, I think we did a pretty good job with the netcode in Street Fighter X Tekken, since it's got a rewind or rollback feature similar to GGPO. With regards to the netcode for Street Fighter 5, we're thinking of implementing a similar rollback feature here, and looking into how we can optimize it for a smoother experience.

KarbyP: But is Capcom also looking into a different netcode technology that's potentially superior or more advanced than the rollback technique used in Street Fighter X Tekken?

Ono: No, I think it's probably impossible for netcode technology more advanced than what was used in Street Fighter X Tekken (rollbacks) to be implemented in the current generation of gaming consoles. So rather than look for such a solution, we're taking the netcode technology used in SFxT, and looking into ways to tune it for better performance [for Street Fighter 5].
On a related note. LOL at EScrubs people thinking Tekken Tag 2 had good netcode when they add delay to offline just so that people don't notice it online.

As someone who plays games on PC, lol at Capcom thinking they have good online play

Didn't the rollback netcode used in SFxT have a ton of problems though

SFxT's online on PC was horrible. I can't say it was good.

People forget that Ryu can stack hits on his fireballs
It's still one fireball, though, so it is easier to evade. Chun-Li's looks like it can be used for some sort of lockdown.

Also Re. SFxT netcode, if they said they're going to tweak it for performance then it probably means that they have an idea of some things that can improve it. I'm no fan of the things Capcom does, but if they say they're aware of the importance of netcode and are going to work on it, then it's reasonable to assume it will at least be passable. SFxT had its own issues that could have made the netcode seem worse than it was, as well.

also inb4 "but the netcode's name isn't a 4-letter acronym so it must automatically suck"

astounding constructive criticism from our very own IsaVulpes

Under normal conditions, I'd assume they could tweak their netcode to be pretty good, but Capcom's history tells me they'd need to outsource the netcode. In the last 5 years or so, the only capcom games I remember having usable netcode were those that Iron Galaxy did.

Sometimes i just think purring GGPO on such games could be the fastest and cheapest solution

Wow I saw the footage.

This game looks absolutely awful.

Hype from about 5.5/10 > 0/10

Reactions: Mr Peck
On a related note. LOL at EScrubs people thinking Tekken Tag 2 had good netcode when they add delay to offline just so that people don't notice it online.
IMO designing the game so that it lowers the threshold for good netcode is a pretty solid design concept so long as gameplay remains consistent and good. I mean isnt the point of good design to make it so that delay is'nt noticed online?

Limit Break confirmed new game mechanic.

Wow this is not very constructive criticism you know
Glad to see you had a change of heart so quickly

Wow I saw the footage.

This game looks absolutely awful.

Hype from about 5.5/10 > 0/10
People need to consider that Daigo and Bruce have had little time to actually learn the game, unlike Mike and Peter at Capcom Cup.

It's pretty obvious that they're still trying to play it like SFIV and going straight for jab confirms. Compared with Peter who was going for low forward into legs confirms against Mike.

The only truly interesting thing we saw was Bruce using Chun's "instinct mode" to go bullet hell against Daigo, which actually answers a question many of us have had ever since we learned that Ryu can stack hits on his fireballs, which was on how other characters would counter that.
It's still one fireball, though, so it is easier to evade. Chun-Li's looks like it can be used for some sort of lockdown.
Chun's also stops once she goes out of her "instinct mode". Ryu's fireball hit stacks do not. If he gets to stack 4 hits, he can easily clear that out. I believe it even carries over to the next round.

What will make, or break Chun's bullet hell, is how much meter she builds off it, which at the moment, seems to be a too much.

Chun's also stops once she goes out of her "instinct mode". Ryu's fireball hit stacks do not. If he gets to stack 4 hits, he can easily clear that out. I believe it even carries over to the next round.

What will make, or break Chun's bullet hell, is how much meter she builds off it, which at the moment, seems to be a too much.
Not at all saying it's broken, I'm saying it'll make noobs rage, is all.

People need to consider that Daigo and Bruce have had little time to actually learn the game..
I personally am strictly talking about the visuals
Haven't even glanced at the gameplay
But the game is just ugly as sin
Those animations are worse than USF4 Elena

actual analysis
The thing that makes me the most skeptical about this game, aside from Capcom's record with SF4, is that some REALLY STUPID JUNK has made it into public builds. That's MvC3 levels of disconcerting.

The thing that makes me the most skeptical about this game, aside from Capcom's record with SF4, is that some REALLY STUPID JUNK has made it into public builds. That's MvC3 levels of disconcerting.
Honestly, the first thing I looked at (after the initial, "holy shit, I'm so abusing that if it makes it into the final game") was the meter build. Bruce built 2 stock and change by the time he KOed Daigo's Ryu. She either needs to not build meter when her stance is active, or they need to put in a hard fireball limit. And if they do the latter, it needs to be per character and not global - the latter could just lead to a Koryu/Rainbow Ed. situation where whoever fills the limit wins (because the other dude can't toss plasma).

That said, this is Capcom we're talking about. They've a history of letting "stupid junk" pass, even in their retail releases. Then again, they've also shown playable builds with characters that were purposely overpowered to "create hype" while the actual development build had already "nerfed" said character (i.e. USFIV Decapre and her Final Round debut build that was way overpowered compared to what she actually was).

LOL at EScrubs people thinking Tekken Tag 2 had good netcode when they add delay to offline just so that people don't notice it online.

Correction, console Tekken Tag 2 had the one frame of lag added so arcades and consoles were in sync. Arcades has one extra frame of lag for Tekken 6 compared to consoles for Tekken 6 (the reason of which I don't know) but the one frame was added to make arcades and consoles sync, not online and offline (though that was certainly a side benefit).

Really stupid junk like...?
@dev too

Like...what will Zangief or Karin or Balrog or Honda do about that? Sure, you can balance it vs Ryu, but like, the entire non-fireball part of the cast is just screwed.

Give everyone Slide Head.

too early to assume much about the game, they could scrap all the system related parts tomorrow, who knows.

In older times, when they had more balls than today, they scrapped resident evil 2 and 4 when both were pretty far in development

@dev too

Like...what will Zangief or Karin or Balrog or Honda do about that? Sure, you can balance it vs Ryu, but like, the entire non-fireball part of the cast is just screwed.
Good point. Although it is possible that they're using whatever it is that these characters will have in their elemental stance.

On a somewhat related note, somebody posted the video of your "how to make fighting games panel" on SRK and that one guy made a long reply regarding it, both in agreement with some points but at the same time criticizing others. I'm curious (and I'm sure a few others are as well) as to how you'd address these criticisms.

Some of his points seem fair, but others.....it's like the guy never heard of overloading. Too many options can be a bad thing, often regardless of implementation. Sometimes designers have to be more decisive and limit options, though by no means should they simply ignore all request/issues or the users. If most users are advanced users then some overloading or excessive options can be fine (see maya), but if they are basic users, having a ton on screen (maya/3dsmax) or having too many dropdowns or screen switches or generally long processing do one thing (windows 8.1) can be very frustrating.

That said, not all of his options need to be options. Some of those can be implemented in the backend without adding unnecessary check boxes and cluttering up or convolutiong the UI.

...also, a certain Sakurai quote comes to mind for a few of his request.

I wonder if the gray patches are synthetic or just the parts of his/someone else's body that didn't 100% survive. Anyway, he's rocking the new Frankenstein's Monster look, very Victor-ish. Bison's outfit now having a trenchcoat a part of the look is cool, too.

Speaking of, the art and graphics got a major buff from the first build, looks much better and slightly more stylized, now.

game looks better
charlie looks cool
nightmayah boostah

My god that trailer was awesome.

EDIT: The beta news sounds really cool also.

Last edited: