• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Also, the USA toon gave me my favourite Bison quote ever (heck I even used it in my voice demo)

In the final episode's climax:

Chun Li: You killed my father..!

Bison: Yes, yes, I killed your father- what is it with you women anyway?! I killed my father too and you don't hear me whining about it!

========

The show was nuts, but that gave such a fantastic and horrifying insight to Bison's character. It's beautiful. I don't know if it was intentional, but in ooooooooooold info, when Bison was a young martial artist (well before Shadaloo) he trained with a master and two other students, but supposedly killed them all when he surpassed them. He actually thought about resisting evil urges but then said to hell with it. IF they were referencing that...that's impressive.

Reactions: No longer exist
This roster gets more and more boring

This is something I've been thinking about. I know Street Fighter isn't meant for it's story, but I hope that they have sort of a progressive story mode. Like, with every character that gets added, a new piece of the story is added.

That would be cool, but I doubt capcom will do it.

Reactions: Shockdingo
They did say that they were changing up how they do stories for SFV

Maybe they're changing it up from the usual segregated story arcs for each character and made a unified narrative for all the characters to fall under

Reactions: Shockdingo
I wonder if this game will try to do a soft reboot on the series somehow. Retcon some stuff and change the timeline.

They did say that they were changing up how they do stories for SFV

Maybe they're changing it up from the usual segregated story arcs for each character and made a unified narrative for all the characters to fall under
Yeah, they're actually being secretive about how they're doing the story and more importantly about WHEN it takes place in the canon. They said they'll go into that later and "have been paying attention to competitors" or something in regards to storymodes. People have noticed that all the characters have a very noticeable Shadaloo connection this time around, so people are thinking this is Shadaloo's fall, or them gearing up with a confrontation with Gill's Illuminati.

I wonder if this game will try to do a soft reboot on the series somehow. Retcon some stuff and change the timeline.
I don't know about a soft reboot since it's visible they're moving forward, but I definitely think we'll see some adjustments, summarizing and cleaning up of how things went around SF3.

I would really like to see Capcom present a great story for SF this time around. There's is a library of stuff out there that's barely represented in the games, and some of it is questionable in how it fits modern canon or begging to be expanded upon. Mistranslation has created confusion for so many important elements that it's made things so weird and confusing;

on SRK some of us are looking over what's out there and things like Rose and Bison sharing the same soul, seem to be false, but rather, Bison may have been Rose's master at some point, but no "purging the good half of his soul business", the infamous Shun Goku Satsu apparently has been mistranslated all this time (Goku doesn't mean hell afterall) and it doesn't LITERALLY drag the opponent to hell.

Also, following the path of things affecting the canon the biggest; it seems as of SF4 some retconning was done with the "After the Events of SFII" shorts to show how the SF universe stands now. It looks like SF2 and SFA3 were combined, Bison faked out the world with a self destruct and Akuma and Bison have never fought, let alone have the former kill the latter.

So I would love them to open the game or at least have a length story mode intro that takes us through the story thus far kind of like MKX, with Ryu narrating the high points of the series:

-Pre-SF1: The SNH, Goutetsu's death and Akuma's spiral into darkness

-SF1: Victory against Sagat

-SFAlpha 2: The influence of Shadaloo becomes more public and starts to interfere in people's lives, brief mention of some of the plot points

-SFAlpha 3+ SF2: The fullscale threat of Shadaloo is known, Bison is at his strongest, he's kidnapped girls across the globe for the doll project, Sagat's been changing his alligience, the SF2 tournament is held at some point over this years spanning arc, everything descends into chaos in the finals and various fighters take on Bison, Bison fakes his death, and he and the rest of the Heavenly Kings disappear.

SF4: S.I.N. Has broken off and is doing its own thing, becoming a bigger threat. Seth is made known, world thinks Shadaloo is dead, only a few fighters know Bison is alive, heroes wipe out S.I.N.

Now here's the problem. The latest game looks like it's at a point where it could be RIGHT at the beginning of a Pre-SF3 point, though it could be after 3S, it's impossible to say at this point. Regardless of what happens, I can see retconning being done to SF3 to one, move it forward in the now ambiguous timeline (it's no longer the 90s, they're going for a sliding time scale if Viper's phone is any indication) and to condense or even change the sequence of events.

If this is the fall of Shadoloo, I hope Juri comes back and plays a huge role in the story. She was pretty much after Bisons head.

Reactions: skumbag
stuff...

If it is pre SFIII, we will get how Urien says that "Chun li defeated shadaloo"

If it is post SFIII, we can see alex playable.

=P

I'd rather they just do what Xrd did and just make a story mode that's separate from the arcade mode.

though, if they do what @BrandX+ mentioned that'd be good too.

It'd be a bit weird if it's set after 3S, since by that time Chun has quit interpol to be orphanage cop mom.

It'd be a bit weird if it's set after 3S, since by that time Chun has quit interpol to be orphanage cop mom.
Yeah, that is a point that i thought many times.

But maybe something made her cancel her retirement, like a 80s movie. xD? Maybe she needs to fight for the future again. =P

Hey, if saving a bunch of kids is good enough for Dhalsim, it's good enough for Chun.

We already talked a lot about converting charge characters to motion characters, but I have to say, Vega is a very weird choice for that, I wonder what the motions for his moves even are then.

I'm glad it says 100% motions though, they could have just made it part of the stance as a gimmick.

Last edited:
I'm curious as to how he's gonna play. The reveal clip doesn't really give any clues. One interesting thing to note is how capcom has described converting charge to motion characters. They seem to follow similar themes. This could be the same reasoning. Vega is a Spanish Ninja. From those words alone one would expect an emphasis on movement, and until now you've had to stay still ~2sec to get access to half of those cool ninja movement options.

I wonder if they'd consider adjusting the move properties instead of giving up on motions. This is an odd choice in general, I'm interested in seeing it though.

My dream character for Street fighter is Young Gen

The old man tanked a Shun goku Satsu without going into 3 generations of coma! imagine him in his prime!

Reactions: ScarletGungnir
technically, it's because Gen had no guilt.
so the Shun Goku Satsu just didn't do anything.

yes... and no

Gen was a professional killer, and he had to "empity his soul" when he was about to receive the attack. He isn't a "pure" person like elena

well, Elena is more of a "so clueless it hurts" case than pure but... you got the idea

technically, having no guilt doesn't mean you are pure hearted.

From the looks of it, we're getting 8 SFII characters, 4 Alpha characters and 4 new ones. At least based on the grouping and color coding from the SDCC/Evo presentation.
18_sf5panel19.jpg
core%20roster.png
Now for more technical stuff.

Regarding damage in the game, individual pokes and specials seem to actually be doing damage similar to, or just slightly a bit more than SFIV (and in some cases, slightly less).

In addition to that, the damage scaling on combos is harsher. Whereas SFIV's scaling did not scale the first two moves (it went, 100->100->80->70->60... all the way down to 20), SFV scales starting from the second move in the combo (100->90->80->70->60... all the way to 20). On interesting thing however, is that Critical Arts reset the scaling back to 50%.

That last bit is probably one of the reasons the game seems to have high damage, since most of the damaging combos are those that go into Critical Art.

The other factor is likely the fact that BnBs for the most part no longer start from chained crouching lights.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
we're getting 8 SFII characters, 4 Alpha characters
Why are there Street Fighter 1 characters in both the SFII and SFA section? This isn't that easy, unless it's characters who were on IV and characters who weren't. For the sake of argument, thus far Nash and Birdie have had the largest amount of raw change, both are no longer charge characters, that section could be revamped characters for all we know. I doubt that, but I'm just trying to point out making assumptions now is silly.

Why are there Street Fighter 1 characters in both the SFII and SFA section? This isn't that easy, unless it's characters who were on IV and characters who weren't. For the sake of argument, thus far Nash and Birdie have had the largest amount of raw change, both are no longer charge characters, that section could be revamped characters for all we know. I doubt that, but I'm just trying to point out making assumptions now is silly.
Probably because they consider him to be from Alpha now. Same way that Gen was seemingly lumped in with other Alpha characters in SFIV.

Also, while there was speculation that the green area is for returning characters who were in IV, having another SF2 vet announced (Vega) seems to point towards it being more SF2 characters.

Besides, SF2 character are more known to the casual fans. They probably figure that they can save the 3S and IV characters for DLC.

Reactions: Wenzel
You could be completely right. I just think with Illuminati prominence, and the fact SFIV already did the whole SFII 2 thing, that we're going to get at least one SFIII character. Not that this matters since my entire point is "we don't know". However, Vega being added and Guile seemingly a shoe in for plot reasons Blue might be SFII. Maybe that's how it works, where people say "in SFIV and not in SFIV" it could just be "in SFII and not in SFII", which explains the SFI contradiction.

In addition to that, the damage scaling on combos is harsher. Whereas SFIV's scaling did not scale the first two moves (it went, 100->100->80->70->60... all the way down to 20), SFV scales starting from the second move in the combo (100->90->80->70->60... all the way to 20). On interesting thing however, is that Critical Arts reset the scaling back to 50%.

That last bit is probably one of the reasons the game seems to have high damage, since most of the damaging combos are those that go into Critical Art.

The other factor is likely the fact that BnBs for the most part no longer start from chained crouching lights.

I've been saying this over and over again in various places and I'm shocked that more people never figured this out while sitting in training mode in the beta for like 10 hours.

In SF4 once you get below 50% health the damage you take starts scaling down. At 49% health you take 99% damage, at 25% health you take 75% damage, etc. etc. until at 0% health you take 50% damage. This artificially weights a bunch of extra durability into the last half of your life bar. Similar to the "Guts" system in Guilty Gear.

In SF5 this "guts scaling" is DRASTICALLY reduced. It only kicks in once you reach 25% health (nerfed from 50% in SF4) and even then it only gets to 75% when you hit your last pixel.

That means that overall characters who have the same number of health points in SF4 vs. SF5 are still missing a significant chunk of health that used to be weighted into the last half of their health bar. It makes every character have lower total health than they did in SF4 and this is likely part of the reason why damage feels higher in SF5 to veteran SF4 players. You don't get that big durability boost when you get low on health.

Looks like I totally misremembered how the low-health damage scaling in SF4 works. Now I feel silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpeanuts
In SF4 once you get below 50% health the damage you take starts scaling down. At 49% health you take 99% damage, at 25% health you take 75% damage, etc. etc. until at 0% health you take 50% damage. This artificially weights a bunch of extra durability into the last half of your life bar. Similar to the "Guts" system in Guilty Gear..

Where did you get those numbers from?

the damage reduction in SFIV is

95% if below 50% HP

90% if below 25% HP

75% if below 10% HP

No change inbetween. Just launch training mode and watch the damage scaling number.

Reactions: Jason
7bZDBDT.jpg

Remember the Siliconera rumors? Back on July 8th: Siliconera whispered about Alex and Urien and Karin and R. Mika returning to Street Fighter V. Four veteran spots remaining. Tokyo Game Show is next month (Sept. 17-20).

If Capcom doesn't reveal one of the three remaining all-new characters, then the rumor will be put to the test. The big question is if it is true, which of the four will join Nash and Birdie in the two "scrambled into a new character, mechanically" category. Imagine Urien tossed into a taffy machine so he becomes stretchy like Necro or R. Mika thickened and turned into a giant that overshadows even Zangief.

Reactions: SmashBlade
In SF5 this "guts scaling" is DRASTICALLY reduced. It only kicks in once you reach 25% health (nerfed from 50% in SF4) and even then it only gets to 75% when you hit your last pixel.

I'm glad to see this. I don't much care for the guts system. At best it just seems... unnecessary. It mostly just makes the game look closer than it actually is.

The only game with a legitimately good 'guts' system is P4AU since with foresight and timing you can minimize it or bypass it completely (kill before it kicks in), and because entering awakening (guts) gives benefits at least giving it some kind of purpose.

I've been saying this over and over again in various places and I'm shocked that more people never figured this out while sitting in training mode in the beta for like 10 hours.

In SF4 once you get below 50% health the damage you take starts scaling down. At 49% health you take 99% damage, at 25% health you take 75% damage, etc. etc. until at 0% health you take 50% damage. This artificially weights a bunch of extra durability into the last half of your life bar. Similar to the "Guts" system in Guilty Gear.

That means that overall characters who have the same number of health points in SF4 vs. SF5 are still missing a significant chunk of health that used to be weighted into the last half of their health bar. It makes every character have lower total health than they did in SF4 and this is likely part of the reason why damage feels higher in SF5 to veteran SF4 players. You don't get that big durability boost when you get low on health.
Really informative post, thanks. I didn't even realize SF4 had a guts-esque system.

I'm glad to see this. I don't much care for the guts system. At best it just seems... unnecessary. It mostly just makes the game look closer than it actually is.

Well to be fair that is EXACTLY the reason Capcom uses it. I remember them saying so a few years back.

Same for the Magic Pixel in MvC3.

Reactions: Spencer
Some Vega gameplay is up, not really much worth mentioning though. Necalli gameplay as well, haven't watched it yet.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZ7DGVNgY-ZRc6LrnBQeZPg

Also, Vega has a necklace (that's floating...?) on the character select screen but not in the actual game, unless I somehow keep missing it

Yeah, the reduction of guts to 25% really helps make the games damage feel higher and help make matches run faster. IV has this tendency to get bogged down once both characters get down to 50%, especially with certain characters such as "Healena".

Also, Vega has a necklace (that's floating...?) on the character select screen but not in the actual game, unless I somehow keep missing it

that's so strange haha it looks like he has it during the character cinematic before the round begins, but then it vanishes

yes... and no

Gen was a professional killer, and he had to "empity his soul" when he was about to receive the attack. He isn't a "pure" person like elena

well, Elena is more of a "so clueless it hurts" case than pure but... you got the idea

The way we've understood the SGS may have been wrong. It turns out the whole "drag you to hell and feel the weight of your sins" thing isn't literal. I recommend reading this write up a guy named YagamiFire did on the move. It makes more sense and resembles a martial arts movie than a magical sin-gauging InstaKill.

If he's on the 2p side then it's the gravity glitch that caused the Chun Li bounce glitch and the Birdie necklace, Wonky Cammy braids and Foaty Headband for Ryu

edit:

Necalli vs Ken win quote: "Give u...up. I'll dr...drink your flames."

He does seem to have trouble talking, I wonder if all that spiritual possession has a part to play, if it's to be taken literally.

Cammy vs Vega win quote: "Shut your mouth. I'm not here to listen to your drivel!"

Ken vs Vega win quote: "You think you're the prettiest? Take a look at yourself now." [ooooooh buuuuuuuuuuurn hah]

Last edited:
If he's on the 2p side then it's the gravity glitch that caused the Chun Li bounce glitch and the Birdie necklace, Wonky Cammy braids and Foaty Headband for Ryu

It's on the 1p side too. Perhaps it was added not long ago or scrapped and not removed entirely.

I know that, but it was the player one side, which is why I mentioned it. It's still a glitch, I'm sure, but odd.

It's on the 1p side too. Perhaps it was added not long ago or scrapped and not removed entirely.
I know that, but it was the player one side, which is why I mentioned it. It's still a glitch, I'm sure, but odd.
Ah, I just checked the video, yeah, it's on the P1 side as you guys said, hmm, weird. I guess they have to do more tweaking; the old glitches on the 2p select screen now seem gone or reduced, but Vega's necklace floats on either side of the screen.