• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Capcom I'm trying to get excited about your game but you're making it difficult

My hope is that Capcom is giving every character an answer to projectiles so that they can then introduce some extremely powerful zoners. Sort of the way that Remy was allowed to have fireballs that hit low and the ability to toss out some crazy fireball patterns since parries were a system wide answer to them. Of course, in the end the system wide answer to zoning ended up making up making Remy (along with any zoning Necro could do) kinda suck, so history will probably repeat itself.

Tru, also all this anti fireball stuff is less discouraging if they put in a zoner who zones using something other than fireballs, like maybe limbs, limbs that reach full screen, fuckin announce Dhalsim already Capcom

I'd weep salty tears if we got Dhaslim instead of Necro.

Last edited:
Six Flags ain't that cheap to just go for SFV. I mean if you already have a trip planned SFV is a bonus but I doubt people are really making trips for it unless they got the hook up.

Nah, I fucking hate the majority of rides at things.

Me and my friend bouta go to the one in Jersey and camp out, i'm stoked bout it.

-----

Its pretty cool how we're actually talking about gameplay now. Woo :)

Yeah hopefully someone with good fireballs or good zoning shows up, otherwise it seems very much like CVS2/A2-A3/3s where you can kiiiinda use fireballs, but you're suppose to just play footsies and use your normals to wall. Which i'm fine with but of course other peep's aren't thats life.

Also Necro can play defensive and be a footsie character for days, he just can't zone obviously, but you can play him very much like a wall, or you can go in dat booty.

Really liking how the game looks.

My hope is that Capcom is giving every character an answer to projectiles so that they can then introduce some extremely powerful zoners. Sort of the way that Remy was allowed to have fireballs that hit low and the ability to toss out some crazy fireball patterns since parries were a system wide answer to them. Of course, in the end the system wide answer to zoning ended up making up making Remy (along with any zoning Necro could do) kinda suck, so history will probably repeat itself.

I'd weep salty tears if we got Dhaslim instead of Necro.
I was gonna say "didn't Remy suck" but you end up saying that at the end of your post so yeah. I'm not sure what it would take to make fireballs useful as a zoning tool (they're probably still fine as like pokes or whatever but they're not like a strategy to victory). Multi hitting non EX fireballs would do it but that would also be comedy broken.

I really don't care if it's Dhalsim or Necro or a new character, just gimmie zoning
imo we should get back to talking about the deep lore of Street Fighter, starting with detailed backstories of all the EX characters

Reactions: keninblack
starting with detailed backstories of all the EX characters
Didn't you hear? Skullomania and Garuda (too lazy to look up if these are even right) are in SFV, they're the protagonists.

Honestly though, prior to now gameplay discussion has been kind of difficult since all we had was speculation based on footage usually made by people without a clue, and what good footage there was was either talked to death or spoke enough for itself. I'm not saying roster or story speculation was better, as it most certainly isn't, just saying there wasn't much to talk about gameplay wise that wasn't already said. Things will get better when the beta comes back, I hope, I did all that content for Nash and I hope with others getting time in we'll get stuff like that for everyone.

Also, just speaking for myself here, story speculation isn't really for the story, it's for the roster.

Multi hitting non EX fireballs would do it but that would also be comedy broken.
What about Akuma's red fireball? I'm not saying just copy paste the move, but surely there is some way to give a character not useless projectiles if the goal of the character is to zone. Speaking of Akuma's projectiles though, air projectiles might be interesting in this game, would certainly make Nash's and Bison's V-Skills harder to time.

Then again, if a good projectile had slow start up Birdie can grab you at full screen, maybe have a feint option to get people to miss their V-Skills or make them go for a fireball punish that you can punish, such as Birdie's grab or Judgment Saber?

I mean, it's Street Fighter, the answer is probably just strechy limbs. Though, if the zoner is a new character I'm not expecting strechy limbs.

Maybe some sort of whip as a weapon? Or a long stick, something that give range to someone.

Maybe some sort of whip as a weapon? Or a long stick, something that give range to someone.
Vega's claw is used in this way, but they give him the rushdown option as well now. Just saying it makes the idea not necessarily far fetched, someone like Whip from KoF, though probably less grab focused, could fit the role. I kind of doubt we're getting something like that, then again it pushes the game as more unique.

Last edited:
Now, we need to know the position of the guys behind this game in relation to zoning.

They might not even want a strong zoner in the game, which is a shame. But if they do, a fireball zoner like sagat is more possible, but, they might come with something new, or bring necro/dhalsim back.

maybe there just won't be a zoner :-)

When you're allegedly pushing the "every character is unique" angle it'd be kind of odd to not include any characters from an entire archetype. Especially when it's as broad as "zoner".

Turned on my PS4 and the beta has an update, guess we'll be seeing it soon.

Cqpcom Cup will be held December 6th at the PlayStation Experience event in San Francisco.

As hard as Sony is pushing this I really hope we see more than SFV come out of this deal.
Itsuno did say he wanted to make Rival Schools for PS4.
I know it's not going to be that, but still.

Rival Schools and Fighting Vipers really really both need a remake on HD 1080p 360noscope consoles

Reactions: Shockdingo
yeah, you're not getting Fighting Vipers.

we were lucky to get Final Showdown here in the west.

They're saying the beta is an internal stress test but I'm in and just played three matches one of which was against someone in Canada, so, yeah.

Well I just got back from Musik Fest from Bethlehem PA. and guess what was there?
0815151414-00.jpg "oh ho~! This going to be fun."

So I was able to play the SFV Trial on their many many ps4s lined up inside.

It was the old version were Chun Li's breasts go all DoA on play 2's side. Still no Ken or Necalli (aw poo... wanted to play Necalli the most really)

Over all thoughts about the game?

hmmmm I need more time... 30 minutes wasn't enough to really dig into this game. But it does have the same feel with moves having a ton of weight behind them. sorta like in 3rd Strike. Found some silly shit with Birdie's can toss into confirm chain throw set ups so that's allways neat. Nash felt weird how he's no longer a charge character, I get the feeling that a ton of people are now going to go to him due to the ease of quarter circle motions for his moves.

There is a Game Gallery shop also in Bethlehem were there was a...

0815151610-01.jpg

Third Strike Two Player Cabinet! Too bad it's not in working condition... yet. But this shop also has SF2 World Champions, KI2, Golden Axe, X-Men The 4 player Beat 'em Up, and the Simpsons 4 player Beat 'em Up cabinets.

People are freaking out about this. Personally don't see why, if mentioning characters and art means they're in SFV we're getting Akira as well. I mean, Ono has been trying to make things surprises, I don't see why he'd have something this blatant. (Brazil video is sketchy as hell.)
Ingrid.png

Reactions: BallotBoxer
I'd say she's more likely for TxSF. Didn't Harada say that Ingrid was his favorite character or something awhile back?

Granted, her getting into TxSF could definitely boost her chances of getting into SF5 sooner or later.

Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing Ingrid. She's certainly unique relative to the rest of the cast.

With their new model, i think the question instead of being: "will this character be in the game?", can be: "when, this character will be in the game?"

Honestly it'd be funny if he's just doing this to build hype and then plants her in the background as a random NPC or a story-relevant NPC.

Ingrid, except her walk cycles are cossack dancing and moonwalking
and she's constantly looking at the camera and winking like she just made a 4th wall joke

So..... What do you guys think of Street Fighter V so far? Pros and Cons? What would you change in this game? I know it is still early in development but I am just curious.

I can't believe I am saying this but Street Fighter V is impressing me so far.

So..... What do you guys think of Street Fighter V so far? Pros and Cons? What would you change in this game? I know it is still early in development but I am just curious.

I can't believe I am saying this but Street Fighter V is impressing me so far.

Pros: - Is not SFIV.
-Easier execution
-Game is beautiful.
-The new mechanics are fun (at least it seems so).
-The new system with dlcs and updates.

Cons:
-Makoto is not in the game and will not be for some time.
-While characters are very different from each other, the game is lacking more critical arts or i don't know, v-triggers per character, since in SFIV (since super), you have 2 ultras, and in SFIII you could choose between 3 supers.

Having limited supers isn't necessarily a detriment. In many cases multiple supers came down to which one was, objectively, best for what the char was good with. Singular, more flashy supers that are fairly quick and are just rare enough to create hype and not get super stale are a positive imo.

What do you guys think of Street Fighter V so far? Pros and Cons? What would you change in this game? I know it is still early in development but I am just curious.

I was really worried this was going to be Street Fighter IV again, and I wrote it off until E3 and more specifically getting my hands on the beta, now I'm pretty excited to see where things go.

Immediately, I like V-Skills and V-Triggers because it helps make every character individual, even though most V-Triggers currently are installs they all do something different, and other than I have no idea about Chun, all the V-Skills are useful, when playing Nash his is a good way to hit someone who thinks they're out of range.

Gameplay wise, I like the pace, the focus on normals and footsies, combos feel good, movement over all feels good. Charge times are a step up, but could be better. Links being a minimum of three frames is a nice ease of execution, meaning it's less difficult to play the actual game. And the V-Skills make it so fighting every character is different so it keeps you from going braindead, like Ryu's ability to parry, Cammy's dodge, Bison's pseudo parry/reflect, one of my favorite moments playing so far was baiting a Bison to use his V-Skill so I could use Nash's super to punish it. Gameplay feels good in general, and it feels rewarding when you pay attention, making correct reads or reacting accordingly.

As far as cast goes, it's only half revealed so any complaints I could have about missing characters/archetypes are pointless, as for who we do have I think the cast is fine so far, there are already 3 characters I am very interested in playing (Vega, Nash, Birdie), though there are 3 characters I couldn't care less about (Chun, Cammy, Bison), but there are people who play them and none of them are redundant so I'm not going to complain. The roster is going to be constantly updated, and I'm interested to see how that goes, especially since they have to figure out abilities as well as balance.

Only thing I'm concerned about is there are so many options that seem to relegate projectiles to more of just a poking tool instead of the ability to keep away, while I don't care for keep away characters for the most part the idea that niche may not be filled worries me because it means that there are people who don't get a character they would even be interested in playing.

Visually the game isn't as ugly as IV, and while I might not like the art design, they put a lot of work into details especially characterization, not only are characters defined by their V-Trigger or general playstyle we get the way they move or things they do, for instance when Birdie wiffs certain command grabs he flicks out his comb at the end of the grab, and combs his hair in a "meant to do that" fashion.

Pros
Focus on characters in gameplay terms and aesthetic terms
I like the faster pace
Feel (impact, moving, etc.)
Execution "barrier" lowered
Willingness to change things
Willingness to take feedback (The Beta survey is a good example of this)

Don't know
Cast
Certain models
Zoning niche
Balance is hard to attest to currently, though Birdie having a 2 hit 75% combo with meter seems a little bit much.
How radically some characters are changed.

Cons
I like multiple supers, hoping that we can see some form of this return
Urien hasn't been announced yet. (Joking)

Reactions: Shockdingo
So I guess Ono tweeted a pic today, but immediately deleted it. Some think it's a fake though so idk.
CMucuEdU8AAqR2t.jpg

Reactions: Thrasher08
It is very clearly twelve.

Finally, I hope air dash is his V skill or something, let him cancel normals into it.

I would gladly take Dudley.

But I really doubt we're getting Dudley at launch. But hey, please, prove me wrong.

Also, tweets are beyond easy to fake.

none of the Ingrid stuff.
I know, I posted the Ingrid one here. They are easy to fake though, hell type fake tweet into Google, first three results are entirely different websites dedicated to making fake tweets.

Personally I don't have any feelings towards her, though I saw someone noting her bio in Alpha doesn't match up with her bio in the encyclopedia from earlier this year, so you may be getting a redesigned Ingrid. Also she is supposedly Ono's creation, though I haven't seen a source on that.

I don't know, it's rather on the nose and they've been posting art and so on, so who knows. I'll gladly take Akira in SFV.

They mostly did that with Birdie and, to a lesser extent, Nash. Considering how dated she is and her lack of appearance in any of the recent SF games, I can seeing them completely redesigning Ingrid. It's pretty sad to see all the hate for her when 1) she's not even confirmed to be in the game (yet) and 2) she'll most likely won't be the same as her previous iterations.

I don't know why people hate ingrid. But to be honest, i don't understand half of the line of thought in the SF fanbase.

Yeah iono why she gets so much hate... I have read many peoples list of reasons... and it all sounds just like people just hating on an anime girl character type... seems kinda harsh in my opinion... I have like 12 people in the cast of sf as a series I cant stand the site of or think damage the game or should be gone. However I feel complaining about it wont get me anywhere. Also this isn't me saying stop having opinions at all... just in my opinion it all seems way to hasrh... if she gets in she gets in big woop more diversity to the game to get better no? If you don't like her then wow maybe just maybe... you dont ...play her? Maybe just go play someone else?

She'll probably get added in at some point again in the series people... I can agree maybe a rework for her is needed however I still feel her design is as awesome aspect about her so I guess I'm in the minority on her design and inclusion being a good thing. I agree with a story rework but I like her being more then just a fighter.... iono some higher life form or something... Cuse everyone seems to complain all the time about her being the originator of Bison's Psycho powers. How is that not interesting a mad man steals power from a god ( meaning shes NOT perfect she fucked up and let powers of higher order into a humans hands and not just a human a mad man bent ruling all) I see clearly shes not impossible to defeat or trick to some degree hell maybe she's even weaker now that bison his the same power albeit corrupted.

Also as for the people who complain about her being a young girl and she not being able to stand up to BIG guys in crap...seriously people? This is a game... like you know made up stuff... not realistic.. fantasy .... fiction. Hell realistically a lot of people would have died a looooong time ago if this was realistic....

anyways again not trying to say peoples opinions are wrong. Not trying in anyway to start crap, just voicing my opinion like anyone else. Well since I doubt even one thing I said will get to anyone I'm sure more bashing of a different character being put in serious game that should not allow for different character types to be that don't please me bashing will keep on coming through.

(Also writing this at 6am when I haven't even fallen asleep yet... I apologize in advance for probably quite a few errors in my dumb rant heh)

Ingrid's gameplay is uninspired and bland and her backstory is basically she's a time traveling goddess who has mastered Psyco Power or something equivalent and claims that Bison stole his power from her and scoffs at mere mortal's attempts to use it.

http://streetfighter.wikia.com/wiki/Ingrid

It sounds like something somebody would make up as one of those silly overpowered self-insert characters in a fan fiction. Story-wise she's a complete mess and she doesn't bring anything interesting to the table in terms of gameplay so I have no idea why Capcom would want to bring her back other than as fan service for people who like her visual design.

I don't have any problems with her outfit or ballerina-style movements for her moves, I like Kulua's design in KOF13 as a comparison. I just don't see any compelling reason to bring her back. She's so powerful she can't really participate in the story very much without trivializing all of the hero characters, aside from some deus-ex machina ass pulls or to show up at the 11th hour to neatly tie up all the loose ends which hardly justifies putting her in the game.