• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

If it was the default outfit then developers would have to explain 'canon wise' why Ryu looks more worse for wear where he couldn't even afford a shirt, what remains of his outfit is in tatters, and decided to look more rugged with the beard despite the past several games preferring a more clean look. It's like how the KI developers had to explain how much more different Jago looked in KI 3 compared to past KI games.
"He's a fuckin' hobo who goes hardcore and shit"
there I explained it

They already have to do that with Charlie (and Birdie and Ken, to a lesser extent), why not Ryu as well
Maybe because they never intended to make Ryu like that unlike those three in whatever grand plot they have planned?

I mean why is Cammy still wearing Delta Red gear with minor difference as opposed to wearing her doll gear again? It wouldn't make sense 'canon wise' if that was her default.

"He's a fuckin' hobo who goes hardcore and shit"
there I explained it

What plot point makes him go 'hardcore'? Even if Ryu is a wandering hobo he still had standards otherwise he would have looked way more worse in past games in terms of getting by daily.

On that note of plot, maybe Ken will actually be a part of it for once

As integral to the series as he is, his only real contribution to the story thus far is "he was Ryu's bromance pre-Sagat and also Eliza/Mel/Sean happened"

And you do realize that two half circles can equal one full circle, yes? There is precedent for a half circle command grab being a 360 super in Street Fighter.
.....are you implying that a a double hc super can be done with a single 360? If that's true then that's something I legit didnt know. If it's not then it's irrelevent. We're talking about a current reality. Mika's specials are now qcbs and her super is a double hc. And as far as I know there aren't 360 supers, but 720s which are, roughly, two 360s.

A
You said

in response to someone complaining about having to do a half circle for every neck snap. If your whole point was about timing, this was unclear to me and I apologize, but more lenient inputs is what you said.

S'all good. Sorry if it wasnt clear then. Here's the relevent parts from both of us

and no, the issue with double half circles and half circles in general is that it's harder to execute. Which means if you're trying to rapidly input in a situation where you need to punish something immediately, there's a higher chance of the move not coming out fast enough, or you just fucking up when it could just be a quarter circle.
me said:
That's almost literally what I said, just worded differently. You cant mash (churn) the move, you have to time it.

Also when I tried playing Ibuki having to do half circles for every neck snap hurt the fuck out of my thumbs.
me said:
I mean....do you really want a vortex focused character like Ibuki to have (arguably) more lenient inputs

My focus was timing, though I admit I could have, and probably should have, worded it better.
I also admit that in older games with less actual input leniency that half circles could be more difficult to execute at times, but with all these current short cuts (you dont even need to do an actual half circle), calling the movement difficult holds little clout imo. The biggest problem with half circles nowadays is timing a reversal/wakeup and, to me, that's not really a problem.

Yes I too hope Ken actually becomes something more then Ryu's bestie, I'm rich but not quite Karin rich, and being a family man. His drive to improve as a fighter has gotten weaker as each game passed. I'm not saying he needs to become edgy edgemaster with extra edge for 'character development' [*cough* Charlie *cough], but he needs to find some new goal.

.....are you implying that a a double hc super can be done with a single 360? If that's true then that's something I legit didnt know. If it's not then it's irrelevent. We're talking about a current reality. Mika's specials are now qcbs and her super is a double hc. And as far as I know there aren't 360 supers, but 720s which are, roughly, two 360s.

S'all good. Sorry if it wasnt clear then. Here's the relevent parts from both of us

My focus was timing, though I admit I could have, and probably should have, worded it better.
I also admit that in older games with less actual input leniency that half circles could be more difficult to execute at times, but with all these current short cuts (you dont even need to do an actual half circle), calling the movement difficult holds little clout imo. The biggest problem with half circles nowadays is timing a reversal/wakeup and, to me, that's not really a problem.

Alex's hyper bomb in third strike is a 360....

I said that before.

Hope this "exclusive retailer preorder" its just a temp, exclusive and unlockable via points in game/ DLC.... lol

Hope this "exclusive retailer preorder" its just a temp, exclusive and unlockable via points in game/ DLC.... lol
when has it not been?

Reactions: Wenzel
There is only one thing bothering me.

5a1a86da2cc461b8f5e4116ed998e996.jpg

She is not wearing a bra, and her breasts are too much in place. If this stays like that in the final product, will be lazy.

Let me explain, is not about the clevage, or anything like that, i'm just saying that her breasts should be more loose on this costume, because that is how it would be.

It's like the old saying goes
there's nothing that can't be solved with a rigorous application of adhesive tape

Reactions: majorgalaxy
I think it should act something like Eliza's breasts in SG, i mean, sg the sprites are drawn, and sf uses 3d models, but the idea is the same.=P

yeah i know that you want real physics in this game @Sotherius but come on. On that note yeah Chun-Li's costume is a little uh... tsk... revealing? for one thing she is wearing a thong and yes she isn't wearing a bra for the dress. In real life a woman fighting in this sort of clothing would hinder her and most likely just expose herself after about a minute of kicking and punching. But who cares this is video game world things don't need to be super realistic, right?

Edit: Also I have found something horribly wrong with this Chun-Li picture...

It's the fact that the clock on the wall does not have any hands HOW IS CHUN-LI GOING TO BE ABLE TO TELL WHAT TIME IT IS? o-oh... never mind there is another clock far off in the back of the noodle shop. sorry... :S

Last edited:
Reactions: juju_for_president
yeah i know that you want real physics in this game @Sotherius but come on. On that note yeah Chun-Li's costume is a little uh... tsk... revealing? for one thing she is wearing a thong and yes she isn't wearing a bra for the dress. In real life a woman fighting in this sort of clothing would hinder her and most likely just expose herself after about a minute of kicking and punching. But who cares this is video game world things don't need to be super realistic, right?
Well, with chun's fight style, not that much, since she keeps her legs with free movement, and her fighting style should be something around "not getting hit", so, that is not a problem. And if her dress is kept that way, is nothing too big, is just a minor nitpick, the game already has physics in the breasts most of the times, is just the fact that her 3d model acts as she is wearing a bra, and in this costume, she isn't wearing one. But is just a minor nitpick. I'm sorry if i sounded like a pervert or something like that, but if it was anything like that happening in any other body part in any other character, i would nitpick anyway. Like Rufus, he is strange. =P

in this video game of guy that can flash kick a mountain in half, killing intent making your magic karate bullshit even stronger, an engine in someone's eye, a man who has unflammable oil, and Rufus, I'm sure this alternate outfit of Chun-Li is not gonna hurt anything involving the physics of the Street Fighter universe.

Reactions: majorgalaxy
.are you implying that a a double hc super can be done with a single 360?
No, I'm saying super inputs are a double input for what what the equivalent move is, assuming there is an equivalent. A logical input for double a half circle is a full circle, and as said, there is precedent, Power Bomb to Hyper Bomb. If command grabs are now half circles for the sake of leniency then the super should be a standing 360 because that is more lenient. Rainbow Typhoon and Brimstone are command grabs that are half circles, as are Killing Head, Bull Revenger and Grand Izuna drop, the only grabs not bound to half circle that we know of are hit grabs unless someone has demonstrated the exact properties of Mika's move set and I have missed it.

And as far as I know there aren't 360 supers, but 720s which are, roughly, two 360s.
As I stated in the post you replied to there is exact precedent, the super version of Power Bomb (HCB+P) is 360+P.

Capcom Fighters is currently streaming the WSO sessions, Ryan Heart is playing Necalli right now and actually making him look fun.

bison costume remind me the soldier of tf2 for some reason.
the last of us Ryu and cammy divesuit (the goggle look the one used in ice) are cool.
that chun li costume is from SFF4 conceptuall art i guess.

Why does Cammy look 19 in those pictures? Like it's so visually jarring to me how visually younger she looks compared to, hell, even her SF4 counterpart with that costume. And weird zipper boob shot. Joy.

Also it might just be the positioning she's in but Chun Li's outfit looks pretty dumb. It looks like a bunch of things sporadically slapped on Chun Li's model. Long hair with... pig tails in front... less clothing... really long thong that actually is so thin it barely covers anyth-what is this design? I'm a little confused looking at it.

maxresdefault.jpg

chunli_006_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

chunli_costume_colors_alternative1.jpg
The only thing different about her costume is the long hair.

I want all these alts, they look great! I really like the ryu one, I've wanted to see him beared after training with Oro.

I do hope that like, MKX the alts (face it, we're gonna get tons more) have a story purpose;

Ryu; This is him heavily training before he "cleans up" for the typical SF tournaments. Or if we needs something more substantial, say that if this is pre-SF3 he's had another run in with aKuma, but after Gouken has sealed the SNH in SF4, he's pushing harder and trying to really go the distance...then he feels the horrible strange energy of Necalli from afar....like across continents.

Chun Li: She's having a night on the town, letting her hair down when, all of a sudden trouble breaks out and she has to beat up some thugs. Upon their defeat, they turn out to be tied to Shadaloo and are putting 110% effort into globally tracking Necalli, gathering supplies and such to maximize Bison's plans. (He's still thought to be dead as of SF4 by most of the cast and world sans a few, so he's getting ready for a biiiig comeback)

Bison: Grand ceremonial outfit for only the most loyal of his forces. He's unveiling his huge plan for a Shadaloo comeback, and is in the final push stage.

Cammy: Covertly investigating strange happenings on her own time, without being on the clock for Delta Red.

The alts look great, but I'm not getting the CE, the extras are weak.

I want all these alts, they look great! I really like the ryu one, I've wanted to see him beared after training with Oro.

I do hope that like, MKX the alts (face it, we're gonna get tons more) have a story purpose;

Ryu; This is him heavily training before he "cleans up" for the typical SF tournaments. Or if we needs something more substantial, say that if this is pre-SF3 he's had another run in with aKuma, but after Gouken has sealed the SNH in SF4, he's pushing harder and trying to really go the distance...then he feels the horrible strange energy of Necalli from afar....like across continents.

Chun Li: She's having a night on the town, letting her hair down when, all of a sudden trouble breaks out and she has to beat up some thugs. Upon their defeat, they turn out to be tied to Shadaloo and are putting 110% effort into globally tracking Necalli, gathering supplies and such to maximize Bison's plans. (He's still thought to be dead as of SF4 by most of the cast and world sans a few, so he's getting ready for a biiiig comeback)

Bison: Grand ceremonial outfit for only the most loyal of his forces. He's unveiling his huge plan for a Shadaloo comeback, and is in the final push stage.

Cammy: Covertly investigating strange happenings on her own time, without being on the clock for Delta Red.

I really like how you like to think about the story of the game, makes me realize i'm not the only thinking about it. =D

Reactions: Shockdingo
That alt makes Chun's thighs look mutanus. They really need to shrink them, so they look reasonable. Mika's the thigh queen now, so no reason to keep Chuns from fitting her better.

Yeah chun-li has never been one for proper proportions, but that alt just makes her look all kinds of messed up.

But chun li non proportional legs is one of her best physical atributes. =P
i think he meant slim her down a tad sorta like how she was in SF3. That version still had legs but it was believable in size and shape. SF5 is kinda, but a tiny bit of trimming might be okay. idk. I'm not much of a legs kind of guy more of an ass. That's why Cammy is gold and Chun is Silver.

maxresdefault.jpg

chunli_006_bmp_jpgcopy.jpg

chunli_costume_colors_alternative1.jpg
The only thing different about her costume is the long hair.
Alright, let's see if I can spot any differences. (I've got the pictures of the new costume loaded on another page while looking at your pictures)

The cloth around her neck seems to be smaller, or at least it's positioned that much more shoulder is being shown. The thong cloth whatever is noticeably thinner, and no longer is positioned to go over some of her thighs (now just being between her thighs). The metal designs on the ends of them either aren't there and have been changed to cloth patterns, or the angle the new costume is in simply shows them poorly. Her shoes are a different color (though I actually really like that change the pink on the original is pretty stupid. The spiked bracelet has inverted colors, nothing really wrong with that. Her red braid on her stomach is clearly just a designed little charm now, as they also removed the bun hair with the other red braids on them to go with the old stomach ones. They added gold swirl designs which draw attention to her breasts from where they were put.

Is it pretty much the same costume? Yeah, but tweaks are still tweaks. I definitely agree with some of them, but unfortunately some can only be there with the excuse that they want to show off some more skin for the purpose of more skin being shown. Which effectively makes it a downgrade to me.

If it's just the physics engine fucking up as usual and the thong's fixed, then I'll consider it a nice redesign, but for now I'm afraid this means now no female in the game can escape the fanservice label. So I guess R. Mika being a parody character fails even harder now, huh?

Alright, let's see if I can spot any differences. (I've got the pictures of the new costume loaded on another page while looking at your pictures)

The cloth around her neck seems to be smaller, or at least it's positioned that much more shoulder is being shown. The thong cloth whatever is noticeably thinner, and no longer is positioned to go over some of her thighs (now just being between her thighs). The metal designs on the ends of them either aren't there and have been changed to cloth patterns, or the angle the new costume is in simply shows them poorly. Her shoes are a different color (though I actually really like that change the pink on the original is pretty stupid. The spiked bracelet has inverted colors, nothing really wrong with that. Her red braid on her stomach is clearly just a designed little charm now, as they also removed the bun hair with the other red braids on them to go with the old stomach ones. They added gold swirl designs which draw attention to her breasts from where they were put.

Is it pretty much the same costume? Yeah, but tweaks are still tweaks. I definitely agree with some of them, but unfortunately some can only be there with the excuse that they want to show off some more skin for the purpose of more skin being shown. Which effectively makes it a downgrade to me.

If it's just the physics engine fucking up as usual and the thong's fixed, then I'll consider it a nice redesign, but for now I'm afraid this means now no female in the game can escape the fanservice label. So I guess R. Mika being a parody character fails even harder now, huh?

I don't understand that, really.

Like, fanservice is something that exists, and i understand the reason why you don't like it. But the characters have so much more to offer than how they look. Skullgirls is a game that a lot of people dismiss before playing because there is a lot of fanservice in it, but i don't care if there is fanservice or not, i want to see what the game and their characters have to offer to me as a player.

I like chun li a lot, not only because she got disproportional legs and she is very beautiful. But i like the personality that the people who created her gave to her, how she cheers like a child after winning, or the backstory that she has, or how confortable is for me to play with her moveset, in every game, she being trash tier or god tier.

I used to hate fanservice, but then i realized, that what matters, is what is behind the fanservice.

If fanservice is for the sake of fanservice, and the media doesn't have anything to offer besides that, yeah, it is something bad, but if there is fanservice, but there is a lot of substance in other aspects, than, i don't care.

The thigh proportion thing could be from the camera angle (the same issue happened with SFIV); Cammy seems to be a victim of this in her pics as well.
Now I see you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.

Like, fanservice is something that exists, and i understand the reason why you don't like it. But the characters have so much more to offer than how they look. Skullgirls is a game that a lot of people dismiss before playing because there is a lot of fanservice in it, but i don't care if there is fanservice or not, i want to see what the game and their characters have to offer to me as a player.

Uh, that's because Skullgirls has characters like Peacock and Painwheel (and arguably Double) on top of characters that do a bait and switch fanservice thing (Ms. Fortune, Eliza, etc.). It's not that these designs can't be used, it's that the only ones currently are those designs. "Every woman has to be beautiful and showing a ton of skin" is different than "some of the woman are beautiful and showing a ton of skin." It's boring when there's no variety, and only leads to poor representation, blah blah you know.

Now I see you're just complaining for the sake of complaining.
Funny you could see that and not see any of the changes in her costume.

Uh, that's because Skullgirls has characters like Peacock and Painwheel (and arguably Double) on top of characters that do a bait and switch fanservice thing (Ms. Fortune, Eliza, etc.). It's not that these designs can't be used, it's that the only ones currently are those designs. "Every woman has to be beautiful and showing a ton of skin" is different than "some of the woman are beautiful and showing a ton of skin." It's boring when there's no variety, and only leads to poor representation, blah blah you know.

Funny you could see that and not see any of the changes in her costume.
So you are saying that a character is worse and is pure "bait", because that said character is sexy?
You are saying, that chun li just got worse for having an optional alt costume?

Ok then.

So you are saying that a character is worse and is pure "bait", because that said character is sexy?
You are saying, that chun li just got worse for having an optional alt costume?

Ok then.
I literally said.

In that exact post you quoted.

That the problem is not the characters being sexy.

But rather the lack of any female characters not being sexy.

when has it not been?

Lollipop Chainsaw kept the exclusive preorder costumes exclusive forever. RIP Ash Williams costume. Glad as hell no other game was dumb enough to do that.

Reactions: Aden
Lollipop Chainsaw kept the exclusive preorder costumes exclusive forever. RIP Ash Williams costume. Glad as hell no other game was dumb enough to do that.
I meant in a capcom fighter.

lollipop chainsaw isn't a fighter nor a capcom game.

I literally said.

In that exact post you quoted.

That the problem is not the characters being sexy.

But rather the lack of any female characters not being sexy.
Someone being sexy or not is subjective.

Her alternative costume is sexy, her normal is not.

And we have a little more than half the cast.

Karin is a possible character if we are going to believe in the siliconera leak, and she is not sexy (for me at least).

And if this bothers you so much, you can pick a male character. There are like 7 dudes, and 6 of them are muscular big guys. A lot of variety....

And if this bothers you so much, you can pick a male character. There are like 7 dudes, and 6 of them are muscular big guys. A lot of variety....

Are you telling me you wouldn't fuck those 6 out of 7 dudes?