• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Street Fighter V

Seems pretty typical for grapplers to me, Mika had similar resets day one

It being "typical" doesn't make it any less useful O.o

It being "typical" doesn't make it any less useful O.o
I'm not saying it isn't useful stuff, I just didn't agree with the wording on his post lol. Sorry I wasn't trying to come off as rude.

Trying to figure out how to properly approach Laura with Zangief.
It's rather interesting how the matchup goes, tbh.

I'm guessing this is probably a no, but I might as well ask: has Capcom said anything about if/when there'll be a Linux/SteamOS beta?

No details yet.

so I have to take the temp of the room. Not sure what it was, but this weekend seemed a bit borning for me then the last time. I spent hours playing SFV with R Mika and Karin, grinding out with those characters and loved it. Given I was able to play karin today, I have this sinking feeling that this game is not as deep or fun as I once thought. Seems like everything is spelled out for you, there isnt really any mix ups, all footsie based, and restricted to what a character can, and can't do in a combo. I get that was kinda the same in SF4, but it seems even more so this game then previous. What you guys think of SFV so far?

would love to hear from @Mike_Z thoughts on this

so I have to take the temp of the room. Not sure what it was, but this weekend seemed a bit borning for me then the last time. I spent hours playing SFV with R Mika and Karin, grinding out with those characters and loved it. Given I was able to play karin today, I have this sinking feeling that this game is not as deep or fun as I once thought. Seems like everything is spelled out for you, there isnt really any mix ups, all footsie based, and restricted to what a character can, and can't do in a combo. I get that was kinda the same in SF4, but it seems even more so this game then previous. What you guys think of SFV so far?

It is probably the simplest fighting game barring smash ive ever played. This is a strength and weakness for it and will bring some people towards it and push some away. It'll be interesting how this plays out for people.

I don't wanna get crucified, no thanks. The amount of crap I got for speaking my mind on SF4 ("Oh you just want people to play Skullgirls" etc etc) is not something I want to go through again.

I'll mention one thing though, which is objective:
In both SF4 and 5, the Revenge meter goes away at the end of the round and the Super meter carries over. And Super builds up more slowly than Revenge meter, especially when taking damage.
In SF4, the Revenge meter converts into damage via Ultras, and the Super meter is what is used to confirm into Revenge use. So if you attempt a confirm (DP FADC, for example) and it was blocked, when the round ends that resource is gone AND your Revenge meter disappears. So next round, you can't start out early by fishing for another confirm into damage. Each confirm spends some of your slower-rebuilding resource, and that resource would not have disappeared at the end of the round.
In SF5, the Super meter converts into damage, and the Revenge meter is used to confirm into that damage via V-Skill/Trigger. So each confirm spends a resource that would not carry over to the next round anyway, and the meter that DOES carry over (and fills slower) can be conserved until confirmed into. The threat of big damage carries over into the next round and is available immediately, and failing a confirm spends the resource you will automatically build again anyway.

To me, this will make SF5's play skew even more heavily towards being "safe" than SF4's system does, once people more fully understand the game.

For a game that's allegedly all about fixing SF4's design flaws, I really don't understand why Capcom brought the Revenge meter back. Or hell, why they ever thought it was a good idea in the first place.

I don't wanna get crucified, no thanks. The amount of crap I got for speaking my mind on SF4 ("Oh you just want people to play Skullgirls" etc etc) is not something I want to go through again.

I'll mention one thing though, which is objective:
In both SF4 and 5, the Revenge meter goes away at the end of the round and the Super meter carries over. And Super builds up more slowly than Revenge meter, especially when taking damage.
In SF4, the Revenge meter converts into damage via Ultras, and the Super meter is what is used to confirm into Revenge use. So if you attempt a confirm (DP FADC, for example) and it was blocked, when the round ends that resource is gone AND your Revenge meter disappears. So next round, you can't start out early by fishing for another confirm into damage. Each confirm spends some of your slower-rebuilding resource, and that resource would not have disappeared at the end of the round.
In SF5, the Super meter converts into damage, and the Revenge meter is used to confirm into that damage via V-Skill/Trigger. So each confirm spends a resource that would not carry over to the next round anyway, and the meter that DOES carry over (and fills slower) can be conserved until confirmed into. The threat of big damage carries over into the next round and is available immediately, and failing a confirm spends the resource you will automatically build again anyway.

To me, this will make SF5's play skew even more heavily towards being "safe" than SF4's system does, once people more fully understand the game.

thanks for the input. I was questioning myself this weekend and kept asking if this game was fun for me or not. I can't really say or know the answer till the full game comes out, and I play it then. Part of me thinks this may not be the game I am into but to each there own. And yea maybe I just don't fully understand SFV mechanics. who knows, I am in limbo with this game. : /

Or hell, why they ever thought it was a good idea in the first place.
Artificial tension / a nice comeback mechanic.

I was questioning myself this weekend and kept asking if this game was fun for me or not.
Can't answer that, that's up to you. But you better believe "everyone will be playing it, because everyone's gonna play it".

Personally I'm enjoying SF5 in spite of it doing a lot of hand-holding and its very clearly linear design.

I'm having a hard time articulating why but one factor is certainly the removal of a big pile of problems that SF4 had, primarily scumbag backdashes, annoying execution barriers, input lag netcode and fishing with low risk high reward crap like focus attacks and DP FADC's.

On the other hand the game does feel like it has been 'overstreamlined' in a lot of ways. I guess its impossible for me to tell if that will hurt it more than the issues that it fixed in the long run but for the moment I say no. Also apparently there are major changes planned before the game is released so who knows where things will end up in February.

In any case, if I want a game with a fast pace, deep levels of flexibility and creativity well, Skullgirls is still a game that exists, so there's certainly room in my FG play time for something a little more streamlined and straight forward. Not every FG has to push the same buttons.

Last edited:
I was getting blown up in SFV, this beta. I legit have no idea how I'm supposed to be playing. It makes me feel so boxed in and restricted, after having SG be my only serious fighting game. I'm going to be playing it for the previously mentioned, "everyone will be playing it," but I feel the same as some other people: I don't know if I'm actually having fun.

Reactions: Fizzxwizz
I was getting blown up in SFV, this beta. I legit have no idea how I'm supposed to be playing. It makes me feel so boxed in and restricted, after having SG be my only serious fighting game. I'm going to be playing it for the previously mentioned, "everyone will be playing it," but I feel the same as some other people: I don't know if I'm actually having fun.

Towards the end of sunday I felt the same way. I played bit sat morning, but by the time I got to play again the meta had totally change leaving a little frustrated. Personally I'm happy the game doesn't make me totally upset like online SF4 could. I am interested to see where they take things come Feb.

Same here. Imma just so confused.

Perhaps it's because I like to learn my game by "feeling" and you can't really be good at SF without hammering some theory? I was looking forward to this but after playing beta I'll have to reevaluate

The mixup is Frame Trap or Throw. Medium Punches are plus, lights are plus (Except cr.LKs), Long range Medium Kicks/Other Normals are minus. Heavies are minus but Crush Counter (Save for some of Bison's things). You need to throw your opponent to get him to press buttons. Once he's pressing buttons, you trap him for damage. This is made FAR more manageable by the input buffer. Your opponent's normals come out at predictable times, and you don't have to grind out tight frame trap timing.

You cannot usually convert directly off medium normals, so counter-hit confirms and setups are the focus of your gameplan. Get used to confirming off two buttons (The first being Counter-Hit) into knockdown/standing reset in order to play the Frametrap or Throw game again. Due to the changes to Throw Tech, throws are even scarier despite their range and startup nerf.

The rest of the game is just plain garden-variety street fighter.

Reactions: Spencer
The game is a ton less about confirms, cross-up, etc. It seems to be almost exclusively frametraps now.

It is definitely skewed toward "safer" as MikeZ put it. Touching a button when it's not your turn costs a massive chunk of your life. This could have the potential of really amping up offense once a meta is more established. Baefel in his "thoughts" video mentioned how much stronger block strings are now because of this.

But I really can't get a read for the game yet. I'm definitely having fun (though who knows how long it will last). And I'm definitely glad it isn't the turd that is SFIV. But beta is hard to get a read since the game definitely doesn't play like SFIV and most people are either jumping around like idiots or trying to figure out how to deal with people jumping around like idiots.

I had a good time with the beta. I tried playing with Mika at first, but then I switched to my old main Cammy when I was getting blown up too much. The mechanics are different enough from SF4 to potentially be a new, refreshing SF experience.

you know someone out there is gonna hate me for saying this, but... Capcom should have brought back the -Ism system. Having the choice of different uses of your meter in the form of mulitple lvl-ed Supers, one powerful super, and a custom combo where moves have massive amounts of hit stun and juggle points isn't a thing for a limited period of time; Something like that just makes me happy, the ability to choose. Maybe that's why I like SF3...

Reactions: Shockdingo
I've kinda stopped following the updates, since it wouldn't make a difference since i'm not getting this game early unless a miracle happens.

But, i don't know, the guys at capcom are making all the possible to state that the gameplay will be different day 1, maybe they are hiding something, but i doubt it.

But yeah, working with a super meter that allow you to use multiple supers and ex, or having one really powerful super, is a thing that brings variety. Isms are a thing that would bring variety and more depht too, but all those things also make the game harder to balance.

I'm still on the Laura hype tho

Almost nothing in the game gives hard knockdown, though.

There are setups for soft knockdown, roll and delay wakeup. I safejumped a Chun's EX SBK twice in one match as Karin, it was great. Sometimes the opportunity costs meter, however. Most characters get something like that. It's not exclusive to one character.

on the other hand, I would greatly prefer if there were grooves instead, because then I could get p groove, and then suffer while I have to deal with every other grooves.

Unless they made some change to -isms I would not want them in the game.

My biggest hurdle I have to accomplish with SFV is dealing with people just doing things all the time. Every time I get a match down to the end, I end up leaving both players with very low life and then I get messed up because I expected people to play carefully at no health instead of flailing about.

Also wakeup timing in sfv feels really weird to me and I can't place my finger on why. It makes oki and meaty stuff weird because I feel like people recover at weird parts or timings of their get up animation.

Meaties.

It could also be that you're not used to players having an input buffer for normals on wakeup. You didn't have to deal with every player hitting a 1 frame window for jab everytime they got up.

My biggest hurdle I have to accomplish with SFV is dealing with people just doing things all the time. Every time I get a match down to the end, I end up leaving both players with very low life and then I get messed up because I expected people to play carefully at no health instead of flailing about.

This is any new fighter. One of the ways that people figure out what works and what doesn't is to simply just do it. Right now jump-ins, mashing, wake-up buttons, and random supers aren't being punished like they should because the game is in its infancy. The risk to reward for doing all of these things is high. So play extra, extra cautious and you'll take wins easily against people trying things out.

You cannot usually convert directly off medium normals

This is flat out not true for most of the cast. The bulk of characters have their best hit confrims off of a medium punch.

Also there are a few heavies in the game that are plus on block. Nash cr.HP and Bison s.HK for example.

I think mika's standing drop kick is also plus, but I can't test anymore because the beta is over ;_;
the charged drop kick should be plus on hit or block. Uncharged is only plus on hit. I believe... Didn't touch Mika this weekend so I could be dead wrong. I was messing with Gief.

I'm not really digging this game to be honest. I don't know why but it just doesn't "feel" good. Yet, everyone that I talk to seems to be having the time of their lives. I'll probably just get it anyway since that's where the players will be at, maybe wait for a sale.

You're definitely not alone. I know Dime isn't impressed with it. I get the impression that MikeZ isn't impressed with it. The forums on Steam have people daily talking about the lack of depth wishing for the FA system back (I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on that one).

And those of use that do like it all seem to have the same caveat that its simplicity might mean a lack of longevity.

I don't get the FA longevity argument. Most characters had very little FA tech that was applicable in serious matches. And if that character did it was exposed relatively early. I get that FA made for some cool training mode combos, and created a mid range guessing game but that's about it.

One interesting tid-bit I've been hearing from those outside the fgc is that they are really enjoying the betas. Which is something Capcom would be happy to hear.

FA system back (I feel like I'm taking crazy pills on that one).
We're apparently on the same thing because I am as baffled as you are but I keep seeing it.