• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Legendary Bounty Hunter! Metroid/Samus Aran Thread

I actually still feel that the next game should be after Fusion so we get to know what happened with the whole "you disobeyed orders and killed a potential biological weapon" thing and Samus's overall fate, also that having Metroid and Chozo DNA is a plotline that should be looked further into in future games, i wonder if having Metroid DNA has affected her more than just losing the cold resistance.

Btw i find it interesting how in most games, there are some areas so extremely hot or cold that, even with the Chozo DNA that increases her heat and cold resistance and the power suit, she still takes humungous amounts of damage just by being in those rooms, to the point where she needs the varia suit, which makes me think, if a normal person without a suit or Chozo DNA goes into those rooms, he/she would more than likely die in a matter of seconds.

I think she got weakened to frost regions by receiving metroid dna in fusion, she never had problems with cold before. But in general, i want a post fusion game too.

And i also want to see the parasite x as a villain again, but that is just my thing. xD

she never had problems with cold before.
Was she ever in an "extremely cold" area before? As mentioned, I'm not very well versed on the Primes so I may have missed that, but in I-II-III all of the environment is either hot or neutral

Wasn't Samus's body also fused with the X-parasites in, well, Fusion? And she was probably infected by that phazon stuff as well from prime, wasn't she. Ruin's right on this one, Samus is just a pile of Alien DNA dropped onto a human.

I'd love for the next game to go farther. Like Samus can't rely on the federation for medical assistance because of her disobedience, so she has to do it herself and accidentally gets alien blood mixed in with the rest or something. So it's like:

"I understood the risks of treating myself while avoiding the federation, but I'm fearful for the future with a mistake this early on. I'm lucky to have such minimal extreme body alterations, although some would argue it's a positive. There isn't much I know about that blood, but I know it mutated when it came in contact with one of the alien genes in my body. I don't know who it was, but they were definitely of the warrior class of there species, quite the savage one too. The container says their name was Randy."

Was she ever in an "extremely cold" area before? As mentioned, I'm not very well versed on the Primes so I may have missed that, but in I-II-III all of the environment is either hot or neutral
Yeah, you are right, the only other place with a cold area that i remember is in other m, and she is fine without the varia suit there, but you know, other m.

what makes me think that she would be fine in cold situations, is the fact that the adam computer states that samus can't handle cold because of her metroid treatment.

There was the cold area in phendrana which normally is supposed to come after Magmoor, but the game never actually gave samus damage for being there. Since Phendrana is after Magmoor, I personally always figured it was just laziness that they didn't think about sequence breaking and didn't make it do damage since the player would normally have the varia suit there. But as it stands, yeah cold didn't ever seem to bother her till Fusion, which was probably supposed to be more of a "she's part metroid" thing.

You can only get to Phendrana with the Varia Suit as you need to go through a lot of "super hot" rooms in the Magmoor caverns, otherwise you won't make it even if you have all the energy tanks that can be collected so far, i'm not sure of what happens if you make it but you still need to kill Flaagrah for the Varia Suit AND the Chozo Artifact.

The wiki states that the Varia suit also protects Samus from sub-zero temperatures but i haven't seen a cold enviroment that requires the varia suit besides that one room in Fusion with the frozen Ridley and sector 5, and Adam said her cold weakness is from the metroid vaccine.

You can only get to Phendrana with the Varia Suit as you need to go through a lot of "super hot" rooms in the Magmoor caverns, otherwise you won't make it even if you have all the energy tanks that can be collected so far, i'm not sure of what happens if you make it but you still need to kill Flaagrah for the Varia Suit AND the Chozo Artifact.

First off, yeah its possible to go through Magmoor and get to phendrana without Varia suit

And I meant that If you go to Phendrana without the Varia suit, it doesn't do damage liek Magmoor does. The same is the case with the Impact Crater and the Phazon suit, where you won't get damaged by the air of Phazon despite phazon normally damaging you. Basically yeah, the scripting of the game form the programmers assumed you would have the necessary powerups by the time you got there and didn't actually put in harmful air like in Magmoor (whereas magmoor it was more necessary to put in the harmful air since it was right next to your path).

So I just got the Varia suit, the game feels weird but I like it

When I got Metroid Prime for one of my birthdays It literally took me years to beat it only because I was too scared to play the first level and then when I got to the Sheegoths (I think that's what they're called) in Phendrana Drifts those scared me too

When I got Metroid Prime for one of my birthdays It literally took me years to beat it only because I was too scared to play the first level and then when I got to the Sheegoths (I think that's what they're called) in Phendrana Drifts those scared me too
What put me off from Prime for a while were the Chozo Ghosts, they are the reason i hate backtracking to the Chozo Ruins to gather the artifacts, it's like 1 of every 3 rooms has Chozo Ghosts in them, even with the X-Ray visor they were damn annoying.

If you go to Phendrana without the Varia suit, it doesn't do damage liek Magmoor does.

Of course it doesn't, neither does the phazon from the impact crater because you weren't meant to get to those places without the different suits in the first place, the developers didn't think about sequence breaking that further ahead.

Also, i love Prime 1 and 2 speedruns, i remember one of the developers participated as a guest in an AGDQ Speedrun of Prime 1 and gave some commentary, it was awesome.

Also, i love Prime 1 and 2 speedruns, i remember one of the developers participated as a guest in an AGDQ Speedrun of Prime 1 and gave some commentary, it was awesome.

When was this? That would be cool to watch.

BattleBlock Theater last year at AGDQ had the best developer commentary, though.

What put me off from Prime for a while were the Chozo Ghosts, they are the reason i hate backtracking to the Chozo Ruins to gather the artifacts, it's like 1 of every 3 rooms has Chozo Ghosts in them, even with the X-Ray visor they were damn annoying.

The proper way to fight the Chozo Ghosts is to run past them or better yet Mach Ball away.
When they show up in rooms you gotta backtrack through, they don't usually lock the doors, only for special appearances like post-Flaahgra Sunchamber, Life Grove, etc.

Reactions: Dio Brando
why do you have to back track though?

Because exploration and approaching old obstacles in new ways and non-linearity???

Because exploration and approaching old obstacles in new ways and non-linearity???
err I meant when you see the ghosts, are they like an indication that you went the wrong way? I prob ably misread your post though x_x

No, I'm pretty sure they're just there to up the difficulty on previous areas so when you do go back and you've got super high defense and a buttload of missiles it's not monotonous to wade through all the lower level enemies.

err I meant when you see the ghosts, are they like an indication that you went the wrong way? I prob ably misread your post though x_x
They are enemies that will appear later in the game, the first one is fought as a mini-boss, after that you will be encountering them multiple times in the Chozo Ruins and sometimes in Talloon Overworld, the reason they are annoying is because they tend to lock-down some of the rooms they appear in, they are fast and they mess up with your visor if you get shot, also that they become invisible and are only vulnerable to the regular Power-Beam and Super Missiles, the best way to deal with them is just as Box said, running away from them or, if forced to fight because of a lock-down, using the X-Ray visor.

What i find very interesting is that the Space Pirates seems unimpressed by the fact that Phazon can corrupt even ghosts, or that the ghosts are trying to kill them, instead they just say:

"We will make them pay for such arrogance, for even ghosts can be destroyed."

Last edited:
Reactions: KaboomKid
Yeah, the characterization of the Space Pirates in the Prime games is awesome. They're like giant nerdy fire ants that never go away. Seeing how bad they are also helps you appreciate how much more dangerous the Ing are in Prime 2, and then how hardcore Dark Samus is. It's great that these games could develop such ruthless villains without any of them needing to speak directly to the player.

Yeah, the characterization of the Space Pirates in the Prime games is awesome.
Ikr, when i found the Space Pirate lore about the failed experiments to imitate Samus's Morph Ball i had a pretty nice laugh.

Reactions: JBThazard
I found prime kinda boring so im putting it on hold for now, I just beat Zero Mission though, frick Mother Brain

Mother Brain is probably the only challenging boss in Zero Mission. Super missiles wreck everything in that game.

So I just stumbled upon a glitch guide for Super Metroid our very own MikeZ made in 1997.

http://www.metroid-database.com/sm/mikez.php

"Hit&hold = press and hold the button/direction until I SAY TO RELEASE IT, and not a *moment* before, dammit! :^)" Literally nothing has changed in almost 20 years.

Hey @Mike_Z do you remember this?

Mother Brain is probably the only challenging boss in Zero Mission. Super missiles wreck everything in that game.

I have an (extremely old) playlist showing perfect super-missile-less kills on all of Zero Missions bosses.

Reactions: Ktulu
Hey @Mike_Z do you remember this?
'course I do. I discovered mockball/speedball. :^P Who'd have thought the only glitch I thought was useless, was useful? Hahahaha.
Trying to explain how to do it to people that didn't play fighting games was difficult.

People keep accusing me of making shit up for the later ones even though they were emulation bugs and I was too dumb to know that...oh well.

'course I do. I discovered mockball/speedball. :^P Who'd have thought the only glitch I thought was useless, was useful? Hahahaha.
Trying to explain how to do it to people that didn't play fighting games was difficult.

People keep accusing me of making shit up for the later ones even though they were emulation bugs and I was too dumb to know that...oh well.

Ohmygod I read that same guide years ago when I started speed running SM.

Mike, what's your fastest time in Super?

I have an (extremely old) playlist showing perfect super-missile-less kills on all of Zero Missions bosses.

Not sure if you know this by now, but when Mecha Ridley shoots the lasers and missiles you can screw attack against the wall and the lasers will miss and the missiles will be destroyed. Makes it a lot easier.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
Ohmygod I read that same guide years ago when I started speed running SM.
Mike, what's your fastest time in Super?
Oh I'm freakin' terrible at speedrunning it.

When's the charity event where MikeZ attempts to speedrun Super Metroid for our amusement/money?

Reactions: Shoes
I'll pay extra for Mike to play with a fight stick (not as bad as it may sound) and to save the animals!

Reactions: Ktulu
I'm up for throwing my money at Mike so he speedruns SM with a fight stick, but fuck the animals.

I bet Mike sucks at speedrunning Super Metroid because he spends half an hour shinesparking with the Dachora for fun.

Mother Brain was really hard until I figure out spin attack takes out everything else in the room

Kraid on the other hand I had no idea how to fight and was so frustrating

Mother Brain was really hard until I figure out spin attack takes out everything else in the room

Kraid on the other hand I had no idea how to fight and was so frustrating

When in doubt aim for the mouth.

I hope the next Metroid game references either Justin Bailey or Defect dual arm cannon Samus Amiibo as a special bonus playstyle. I wonder if Dark Samus could work too?

If they're going for both a 2D and a 3D Metroid, I'd like for one to be a lot more focused on swashbuckling action (probably 3D) and the other to be more focused on atmosphere (probably 2D) so they could be easily identifiable as separate games. Not to say neither would have the elements of the other though.

I hope that there are no moles
of any kinds
no facial moles, no subterranean mammals, no traitors

They said Samus always had the mole. And I want Kraid to come back.