• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Musician Thread

Kai

Go Home And Be A Family Man!
Reaction score
Website
www.killallinstinct.com
Steam
Kai
PSN
Night_Phyre
Parasoul Cerebella Big Band
If you play music, post it here.

I play in Sinfinis, and we've got a full length coming out in like, a month. It was funded via our fans at kickstarter. I also played in Hephaestus, Human Mechanism, and Pretentious Bastards, but they're all defunct.

Also, I prefer passive pickups to active, though I use both. I record on a full studio desktop setup with Reaper as my DAW, and my favorite amp/cab emulation comes from Amplitube, though PODfarm works in a pinch. My current fav guitar is Schecter Ultra II.

Last edited:
You know enough about me, Kai, so I'll just state for everyone else.

I play guitar; no band. I write stuff on my off time and sometimes make 8-bit covers because it's nice.

You know enough about me, Kai, so I'll just state for everyone else.

I play guitar; no band. I write stuff on my off time and sometimes make 8-bit covers because it's nice.
Links :)

Let 'em hear ya!

I play guitar and bass, used to be in a Speed Metal band, though it disbanded. Self taught, don't have a drumset so I have to make MIDI drums and pass them through a soundfont to make them sound, eh, sorta acceptable. Still learning how to record, I use Audacity (SHUT UP IT'S EASY TO USE AND I'M A RETARD ._.)

I play a beat up Electra Futura (google it) and a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Stratocaster (Yeah I know >Squier. It's pretty good for the price and after a setup) through a Marshall Valvestate. I can't get the hang of recording through Software like Amplitube and lack the funds and brains for a POD. Plus I like recording through mic, dunno sounds more natural. Most of the stuff I write is in the heat of the moment and I don't rerecord stuff often so forgive the sloppiness in the general music.

https://soundcloud.com/stormtrooperspeed/

Reactions: Kai
I play guitar and bass, used to be in a Speed Metal band, though it disbanded. Self taught, don't have a drumset so I have to make MIDI drums and pass them through a soundfont to make them sound, eh, sorta acceptable. Still learning how to record, I use Audacity (SHUT UP IT'S EASY TO USE AND I'M A RETARD ._.)

I play a beat up Electra Futura (google it) and a Squier Vintage Modified 70's Stratocaster (Yeah I know >Squier. It's pretty good for the price and after a setup) through a Marshall Valvestate. I can't get the hang of recording through Software like Amplitube and lack the funds and brains for a POD. Plus I like recording through mic, dunno sounds more natural. Most of the stuff I write is in the heat of the moment and I don't rerecord stuff often so forgive the sloppiness in the general music.

https://soundcloud.com/stormtrooperspeed/
Amplitube is tits. You should do it. Start doing some DI recording, then send it to me, and I'll mix/master it for you.

IIIII can't say I'm the biggest fan of DI recording, I do have amplitube and I jam around in it every once in a while, but meh IDK, I like my Marshall crunch more, plus, I'm kind of an effects junkie, I like using vintage and obscure effects pedals in my recordings and I can't get that with amplitube, not even if I try making a chain in it. Plus Reaper gives me a hell of a headache, too used to audacity I guess.

Also, the Boss HM-2 emulation on amplitube sucks, and I can't emulate my Swedish Death Metal bands which makes me sad.

Reaper is also tits. Even if you never DI, I really recommenced switching to Reaper. Long-term, it's a much better DAW. I know switching isn't easy, but it's worth it.

HEY FAGGOTS THIS THREAD IS SO DEAD NOT EVEN SQUIGLY WOULD GIVE IT A BOOTY SCOOTY.

Anyway, I recorded 3 new things that are pretty cool and sound pretty cool and oh my god I could've done this earlier but I'm such a fucking perfectionist I need to have the recordings sounding 10000% perfect or else it's shit.

Dual Blazin Metal Leads
Exactly what the title says. I made a basic drumbeat and basically wanked out the cheesiest 80's style solos I could do. Only this time I multiplied 1 BY 2 SO THERE'S LIKE, 2 GUITARS MAN. (First use of my 1992 Jackson King V, E standard tuning)
Wizard's Tower (DEFINITE FUCKING MIX)
Get your LoTR books out, we're about to go, uh, Middle Earthen? Anyway this is an instrumental I'd done a while back and I got tired of messing around with the sound production, so I just went like, fuck it and posted it anyway. Try to imagine black knights and Mordor and all that cool ass shit. (Played in C# standard tuning.)
PHANTOM OF THE OPERA (Caps added for extra oomph)
And now for what I consider my masterwork for the past 18 minutes. Covering the almighty Iron Maiden's 1980 opus Phantom of the Opera, this is probably the only song where I sing (badly). The vocal production is probably the only thing that sucks because vocals are gay and come the fuck on why is producing vocals so damn hard. It's also sloppy in a few points, most notably the melody in the middle and the first lead. It was 2am and I was tired and I'm too damn lazy to rerecord that shit.

Reactions: Azginporsuk and Kai
Grave said:
HEY FAGGOTS THIS THREAD IS SO DEAD NOT EVEN SQUIGLY WOULD GIVE IT A BOOTY SCOOTY.

I dun giv a fuk. :P

Anyway, I'm training to be a vocalist (voice is an instrument, if it wasn't everyone would be amazing at it on their first try), so there's that, and I'm also attempting learn guitar, and I can play keys on top of that.

Current equipment I have is one of those Snowball microphones (I forget who makes them, I think it's BLUE), a Fender-style BC Rich guitar, a Yamaha acoustic guitar and a Carbon 49 MIDI synth.

I play piano and sing mostly. Doing composes with synthesizers sometimes too

HEY FAGGOTS THIS THREAD IS SO DEAD NOT EVEN SQUIGLY WOULD GIVE IT A BOOTY SCOOTY
1431085898335.jpg

Reactions: Scar
Ayy, wish I had found this thread sooner, but I play guitar, bass, uke, and sing even though I can't.

Reaper is also tits. Even if you never DI, I really recommenced switching to Reaper. Long-term, it's a much better DAW. I know switching isn't easy, but it's worth it.

Quick question, and this might be a dumb one: I'm guessing Reaper is better than Pro Tools? Because if it is, tell how much it usually costs and I will start saving for the prospective, Pro Tools free future. I'm studying audio engineering, and I'm getting really sick of Pro Tools' shit.

DAWs generally aren't better than one another, just better at certain things. That being said, Reaper kind of eats Pro Tools' lunch, as they occupy a lot of the same space and function, and Reaper is just flat-out leaner, more flexible, and cheaper ($60 for a normal user license).

ProTools was (and still is, to some extent) the industry standard, the universal language of professional studios. As those kinds of large studios have become less common, though, so has ProTools. We're at the point where people legitimately can just go with whatever they personally like, because ProTools isn't the dominant force it once was, and it's only declining from here on out.

Good to know. I guess I'll keep an eye out for all my options, but it sounds like Reaper might be good to try out if I get the chance. Thanks for that tidbit. :)