• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Net Neutrality / Internet Freedom Thread

Yea, a good chunk of people would quit the internet all together. However, only time will tell...

Then we all need to sign this petition, if its real. We can't just let it pass, not if we still have time. Besides, a lot of time and effort has been put into those fan works, and frames. At the very least, some of us should sign this petition, this might be a test to see how much they can outlaw, before we the people respond.

Wait, so if this law passes, does that mean no one can make fan made frames for the DLC characters anymore?
well i think it has to do with making you pay to access website and its not just fan art , it could be other media as well. like i wanted to go to say, twitter or twich, my ISP can charge me to access the site and it would be restricted unless i pay an extra fee. basically they control what websites you can go on and see. if they dont want you a to see something or read, they can block it. i dont need to explain why this is a huge problem.

cat.jpg

Last edited:
Alright I think I understand a bit more. The whole idea sounds a little bit like 1984, except on the Internet. Either way we should still try to stop it while we still have time, because I'm pretty sure no one wants to use the inverse of the Internet, and have to pay for what we take for granted today.

Alright I think I understand a bit more. The whole idea sounds a little bit like 1984, except on the Internet. Either way we should still try to stop it while we still have time, because I'm pretty sure no one wants to use the inverse of the Internet, and have to pay for what we take for granted today.
"Who controls the past controls the future; who controls the present controls the past." sorry i had to quote that.

Reactions: Electric meteor

Okay, this is starting to get retarded. Really, really frickin' retarded.

Just thought that maybe I should put this here.

I already signed the petition just like I did the last one. I liked the details given in the petition about the groups and their purposes.

Okay, this is starting to get retarded. Really, really frickin' retarded.

Just thought that maybe I should put this here.
First of all, this has nothing to do with net neutrality. It sounds like you're aware of that but I want to make that clear to anyone else. Google could do this either way. You also really can't stop them, they can do whatever they want to youtube and the only way that's changing is if something persuades them to. It's not a bypass of your freedoms in any way, google provides you with a service so they have the freedom to deny it to anyone for any reason.
And now that that's done... This isn't really a big concern for me. I guarantee you anyone who is becoming a "super flagger" already had the ability to delete your videos or ban your account, this is just formalizing their abilities and making it official.

Last edited:
So apparently the FCC has approved the option for some sites to get preferential treatment if they can afford to pay ISPs for the privilege.

As someone who doesn't live in the US, what are the chances of this being reversed during the 60-day public response period, or is it one of those things where if it's reached this stage it's practically guaranteed to pass?

So apparently the FCC has approved the option for some sites to get preferential treatment if they can afford to pay ISPs for the privilege.

As someone who doesn't live in the US, what are the chances of this being reversed during the 60-day public response period, or is it one of those things where if it's reached this stage it's practically guaranteed to pass?
I don't see there being enough outcry to trump the lobbyists. >.<

Most likely because people don't really know about it. It's one of those things where you pretty much have to explain it, then let it sink in for a few minutes. At least, that's how it is on my end.

I doubt the FCC's going to overturn their own decision. If it's reversed, it'll be through legal action a decent ways down the road. If.

Just a question, I signed the petition on one of the things Fight for future was doing on stopping Net Neutrality, today I unsubscribed from then. Should I worried after unsubscribing from them ?

They do some good work, I guess, but they do tend to send a lot of emails. Why should you be worried, though?

Oh it's nothing really just me thing being a worry wart and thinking bad things will happen all the time, the unsubscribe was just an accidental button click as I have resubscribed. Some times when I worry, I just some times imagine the worst thing ever happening which is something I need to stop doing.

So, I don't know if anyone posted this on this thread yet, but I feel it's relevant to the discussion. And also provides a good point for why it's hard to talk about this to people.

If I may make a suggestion, after watching that video I've decided that it'd be a good idea to rename this thread, "Preventing Cable Company Fuckery."

Reactions: Dime
Every time I go into this thread I get a little sadder each time.

I think of this song every time I hear about shit like this going under the radar of Americans

Shame there may not be all that much that can be done about these sorts of things. You could vote for representatives that would take some sort action against them... provided they’re one of the two or three options on the ballot. You could write your current representatives and hope that they’ll be persuaded to do what they can, but they only have so much incentive to listen. You could file a comment through a system that’s probably only intended to make you feel like you have a say in a matter that’s likely all but decided. You actually should do these things, but they’re only going to go so far and only have an impact on occasion.

Your “representatives” probably aren’t in the business of actually representing your interests, improving your life, or treating everyone equally. Most have their own biases and there are people that affect their careers a hell of a lot more than you’re ever likely to. Voters only really matter once per term and usually aren’t the ones that decide what committees someone gets to sit on, who’s vote is up for trade, if someone that’s facing a term limit has an appointed position waiting for them , or many other things that would affect a politician on a personal level. Unless it’s something tangible enough for a competitor to turn in to a threat to their job, public opinion probably isn’t worth much more than paying lip service to.

The outcry needs to be seen as something that can affect elections and stock values. The best that most people can probably do to make that happen is work an explanation of the situation in to normal conversation as much as possible without it seeming forced or turning in to a lecture.

I honestly... believe that the internet should just be left alone but i think the piracy should be taken seriously though. Also i will not act innocent i pirated so much stuff i lost count but that does kill the economy because that money isnt being spent or put back into the system... sure it goes to stars and people that have tons of money but it also goes to the working individual and keeps jobs around... at least 12.5 billion dollars are lost to piracy and alot more.... I think net neutrality is horrible but i really respect them cutting down on piracy and yes... I am scared as well also Google saves your info and uses it to advertise to you... look up the scroogled campaign as well

I honestly... believe that the internet should just be left alone but i think the piracy should be taken seriously though. Also i will not act innocent i pirated so much stuff i lost count but that does kill the economy because that money isnt being spent or put back into the system... sure it goes to stars and people that have tons of money but it also goes to the working individual and keeps jobs around... at least 12.5 billion dollars are lost to piracy and alot more.... I think net neutrality is horrible but i really respect them cutting down on piracy and yes... I am scared as well also Google saves your info and uses it to advertise to you... look up the scroogled campaign as well

Net neutrality refers to the notion that service providers should treat all traffic equally. If that was to be ignored then someone like Time Warner could simply interfere with the performance of Netflix or deny access to it entirely because they would prefer that their customers purchase or use Time Warner’s own streaming service.

They could impede access to places like the Pirate Bay if that’s what you’re getting at, but they could just as easily do the same for competitors, people with political views they disapprove of, or even just someone that they want to shake down for more cash.

Reactions: MotoEleven
Net neutrality refers to the notion that service providers should treat all traffic equally. If that was to be ignored then someone like Time Warner could simply interfere with the performance of Netflix or deny access to it entirely because they would prefer that their customers purchase or use Time Warner’s own streaming service.

They could impede access to places like the Pirate Bay if that’s what you’re getting at, but they could just as easily do the same for competitors, people with political views they disapprove of, or even just someone that they want to shake down for more cash.

Thanks Onyx... I got carried away yes I do know what it is and thats what I was getting at (in a sense) we should control piracy but not have to resort to net neutrality i think because of piracy is probably why theyre considering this (many other reasons too but thats a main given) and they can also block out places like demanoid or kickasstorrents i think its a horrible idea to even consider doing such a thing well be thrown back into the stone ages but the focus of my argument was that they shouldnt really worry about the notion of net neutrality as much as they should about piracy i mean sure itll help but in the long run but it will destroy the internet and devolutionize it just as a phone company cant tell you who you cant call or text (unless you dont have international service lol) your ISP shouldnt be able to tell you what you cant view or post online... (just my two cents nothing too serious :D)

Thanks Onyx... I got carried away yes I do know what it is and thats what I was getting at (in a sense) we should control piracy but not have to resort to net neutrality i think because of piracy is probably why theyre considering this (many other reasons too but thats a main given) and they can also block out places like demanoid or kickasstorrents i think its a horrible idea to even consider doing such a thing well be thrown back into the stone ages but the focus of my argument was that they shouldnt really worry about the notion of net neutrality as much as they should about piracy i mean sure itll help but in the long run but it will destroy the internet and devolutionize it just as a phone company cant tell you who you cant call or text (unless you dont have international service lol) your ISP shouldnt be able to tell you what you cant view or post online... (just my two cents nothing too serious :D)

You are for net neutrality rather than against it if you believe that ISPs should deal with traffic in a neutral and unbiased way. Net neutrality is the principle that service providers should treat data in an equal and unbiased manner, not the opposition to that principle.

Last edited:
Well ill be... dammit i guess im for it then... but reading more about it (looking it up on Google) it sounds like such a horrible idea

Bringing this thread back from the dead because THANKS, OBAMA.
It kind of takes a story that you're knowledgable about to get you to realize how much straight up bullshit you hear from the media on these stories. Seriously, I've heard that net neutrality will drive internet prices up, that it will kill innovation, that it's... Obamacare for the internet? What?

Bringing this thread back from the dead because THANKS, OBAMA.
It kind of takes a story that you're knowledgable about to get you to realize how much straight up bullshit you hear from the media on these stories. Seriously, I've heard that net neutrality will drive internet prices up, that it will kill innovation, that it's... Obamacare for the internet? What?
I literally had to click that link and have a look through because I cannot hear 'Thanks Obama' without it being sarcastic.