• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Palettes of Skullgirls

Here's to @TechPowah the real MVP.

I raise my jug of gasoline to toast your comprehensive super posts
tg48dlS.jpg

During Salty!, MikeZ's comment about Beowulf retiring a color to make room for a new one to stay at 22 is puzzling.

Current Palette Scoreboard What? You're bringing this up again?!
Big Band - 22
Beowulf - 22
Cerebella - 22
Double - 21
Eliza - 22
Filia - 22
Fukua - 20
Ms. Fortune - 22
Painwheel - 21
Parasoul - 22
Peacock - 22
Robo-Fortune - 12
Squigly - 22
Valentine - 22

You may recall the custom palette auction from last November had these color slots for sale:
Peacock (1) CLAIMED
Painwheel (2) CLAIMED
Double (2) CLAIMED
Beowulf (1) CLAIMED
Robo Fortune (2) CLAIMED

Peacock had 22 colors at the time of the auction, and Double had 21. Since they probably won't stand out as the only 23s, perhaps they'll follow a cue from Beowulf and retire an original color?

Maybe there will be a second batch of DLC palettes that bring back the usable rejected palettes? Now, obviously Earthworm Jim!Squigly can't come back as it is because transparent head, but i'm sure there's at least a few other gameplay-safe palettes for various characters that were made but didn't make retail <like the palette Beowulf just lost, or Urien!Eliza>

Interesting compilation of confetti and milk gallons, Tech. Makes me wonder what are some of the "references" in those. For most palettes the gallon seems to simply be a matching play on the palette's colors, but there are a few examples that stand out.

- Mike specifically said that sexy fireman (#14) is drinking gasoline.
- What is Will Riker (#3) drinking? Is it a gallon of water, or perhaps some Star Trek reference? It's the only transparent gallon, as well as (if I'm not mistaken) the first instance in SG where only a part of the palette is transparent, so it makes me wonder.
- 80s neon (#11) palette's distinctively orange gallon also intrigues me. Makes me think it's a nod to something, given how nowhere else in the palette is there anything orange.

I'd like to hear what ideas people have on these (or any other) references/nods included in the milk gallons.

The orange could also be Sunny D(elight). That was an 80's thing, right?

Peacock had 22 colors at the time of the auction, and Double had 21. Since they probably won't stand out as the only 23s, perhaps they'll follow a cue from Beowulf and retire an original color?

Maybe they don't want Beowulf to be jumping the gun on getting a 23rd? It seems odd for anybody to lose a color, but Beo's aren't even final yet.

Reactions: BallotBoxer
Why does palette #7 remind me of the Bayonetta palette Rakurin made a while back?

I sincerely hope they planned to release a second color palettes DLC, hoping that Urien Eliza would be in.
And I wish I could pay for a Fait Connors palette for Nadia.

Will fukua get 2 more colors?

Huh, so it is. I'd have expected the red of Dudley's gloves to be used, but then that's why I don't do palettes for Beowulf

I guess i'll edit my palette previews

nking gasoline.
- What is Will Riker (#3) drinking? Is it a gallon of water, or perhaps some Star Trek reference? It's the only transparent gallon, as well as (if I'm not mistaken) the first instance in SG where only a part of the palette is transparent, so it makes me wonder.

clearly should have been romulan ale tho.

So, Beowulf secretly got a new palette of Grendel, complete with Beowulf-colored chair and arm for that full freaky-friday flip effect.

9CF64EF2B313FE7E55734DF39267322001C32458
49B47332ADA02A48A9C8FC0036F7130795417ABF
E13C552B93EAAB43016DE455D76CDAD45A379F71
082CE3147FDD3263DB6BB407106D1498C770E278
771D045C5342F51214C12A0E6B9F67FDB1C541FA

So, Beowulf secretly got a new palette of Grendel, complete with Beowulf-colored chair and arm for that full freaky-friday flip effect.
YOOOOO
THAT'S COOL

But they also got rid of THIS palette :(

uWa4hIN.png

Honestly never cared for batman pallete tbh. Happy with the change.

Original content instead of fan content is always a good thing \o/
Grendeldwulf looks perfect for solo, btw

Reactions: Denizen
Just wondering if it's me or not and if this is the right thread but the new Beo pallette's victory pose doesn't look like it's properly shaded on the wolf head.
S0AprbS.jpg

Reactions: Magma442
it also comes off vaguely oni akuma looking which is a plus.

I like his hair, Grendel's got a nice color scheme.

I REALLY hope they don't get rid of the Zubaz palette. Then again if they did it would continue the running joke of Zubaz getting rejected.

Well, Skullgirls doesn't have alcohol in it's ESRB warnings. I guess just like Eliza drinks "root" beer, Rikerwulf goes for Romulan "water".

Reactions: The Dave
Eh, rather a few other palettes get the axe rather then batman [Beo pulls off a good Bruce Wayne + good synergy with other character palettes], but at least a few others I was more a fan of are still safe.

I think this is appropriate for Beowulf:

batman-r-i-p.jpg

Still... Grendel palette is cool.

Reactions: Mr.NiceGuy
#8 color, Grendel, is fabulous. I like the unsettling inversion between man and gigan. I'll miss Batman, but Grendel is a welcome replacement.

Interestingly enough, the black, white, red, and yellow suit that replaced the previous original color is now #7. Sevens are traditionally story-significant, often being what the character was in the past...
Filia - blond and before Samson
Squigly - yellow dress, brown hair, and general healthy appearance before her murder
Big Band - sepia tone of his past flashback​

...or future...
Parasoul - white fencing uniform as seen in her ending
Cerebella - bunny costume like in her ending
Double - fleshy colors from her ending​

So who can tell what the vaguely superhero-ish look bodes for Beowulf.

I REALLY hope they don't get rid of the Zubaz palette. Then again if they did it would continue the running joke of Zubaz getting rejected.

No worries, Zubaz is here to stay. A couple of SCRUBLORDS commissioned it and Lab Zero can't drop donors' colors.

s52yYZU.jpg

Too bad for Batman. Rip in rip, it was a fun color. Plus, it could make for some cool teams with Harley Quinn Cerebella and/or Poison Ivy Parasoul.

Did an official source mention/confirm the new Beo color to be Grendel? I assumed it to be Solomon Grundy, because color theme + grappler. Works all the way down to the eyes, +/-.

Also since #7 is generally reserved for a story-related palette, my money is on it representing Beowulf's wrestling suit before retirement time.

Reactions: SmashBlade
Hey guys, this is my first post in this thread so don't kill me please if this is somewhat unrelated, but I think I found out what Robo-Fortune's 10th palette is a reference to.

2015-03-21_00001.jpg
300px-Wheatley.png

Wheatley from Portal 2.

Everyone (except R-Fortune) now has 25 colours palettes, and I can't complain really because they brought back Urien Eliza, and Batman Beo. Anybody know if any of them are Indiegogo colours? If anyone would like to drop a list of all the references that would be gr8 too.

Also, while we're on the topic of palettes, I'm going to drop something that's likely not interesting at all; the "Andy Anvil" Beowulf which I posted in the palette leaks never existed, I made it up as a joke. Of course you all know that by now.

Can someone clarify what palette is what for Fukua? I don't think the salty news article has all of them correct.

The one you posted (and then deleted?) is Orochi Shermie, at least going by what Mike said. The rest are as I posted 'em.

The one you posted (and then deleted?) is Orochi Shermie. The rest are as I posted 'em.

Yeah I realized that, thats why I deleted it. I misread it as just Orochi (didn't see the shermie part).

Also I figured it out...
2NiNzGF.png

=

vlcsnap-2014-02-13-20h43m17s249.png

huh. What an odd color to choose. Honestly I'm disappointed at the missed opportunity at what I thought it actually ment:

maxresdefault.jpg