• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

the road to getting gud -- head on. head off.

dapurplesharpie

palette 7 eliza player
Reaction score
Steam
dapurplesharpie
Eliza
I mostly play MF and have gotten mixed reviews about her.
Almost 95% of people are telling me NOT to play head-off.
What exactly is the difference in playstyle with head-on and head-off and where does the true advantage lie?

First, your HP is replaced with head commands. HP is for the most part one of MFs best normals, so going head-off looses that. Of course, with head-off, you can add pressure from a distance so its a trade-off. HK Fiber Upper loses any kind of invincibility it has on point, so you now lose one of MFs best reversals. Many other normals also get downgraded (s.mp becomes just 1 hit with no chip damage, s.HK becomes her old launcher, you lose rekkas in favor for 1-hit command specials)

Lastly, head-off is much tougher to learn and does a bit less damage, but in exchange you get much better pressure. Learn head-on first then try to branch out. Head-off requires a knowledge of positioning the head and it becomes a bit overwhelming.

Hope I hit most if not all the bases.

basically the reason why people tell fortune players not to play head off is because why?

you lose your reversal. j hp isn't that good but s hp is (i don't use it as often as i should)

the problem with headless is that anyone can abuse the head and 9/10 they will get away with it. if you're going to bait them you gotta move preemptively but most times they can block or call assist. so pretty much headless is used for specific matchups otherwise headless lost the little bit of threatening prescense outside of the specific matchups.