• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

Best stage ever. Best graphics, best look, non-static background, and it has variable platforms. It's pretty much Pokefloats: Star Fox edition, but without the platforms being too crowded. It helps that Assault was my favorite Star Fox game.

This stage looks awesome.

Here's hoping it doesn't get banned because "the background is too distracting". Apparently Lylat Cruise was for some tiime.

That's pretty stupid TBH

For the record, Lylat Cruise was actually banned because the stage tilting made ledge grabbing very awkward to do, and also gave one player advantage recovering (or disadvantage) based on a random element that controlled the flow of the game.

I know competitive players can sometimes be a bit... harsh with banning things, but we're not THAT stupid.

Here's hoping it doesn't get banned because "the background is too distracting". Apparently Lylat Cruise was for some tiime.

That's pretty stupid TBH
It will probably get banned for hazards honestly. And possibly for shenanigans with the geography of some of the ships.

I really hope we get a rerelease on the 3dsll/wii u that has all the shit sakurai wanted in the original but the 3ds prevented him from adding.
Plus simon belmont.

By463RkCIAE-ToU.jpg:large

Hitting a Starman does a thing

That's pretty stupid TBH
Just saying, that it will likely be banned for other reasons. We'll see but moving stages don't exactly have a track record of being particularly good competitive stages.

Just saying, that it will likely be banned for other reasons. We'll see but moving stages don't exactly have a track record of being particularly good competitive stages.

If Rainbow Cruise isn't banned, this shouldn't be either (so long as there's no missiles or stuff. I can sort of understand that)

How long ago was Rainbow Cruise not banned? The problem with scrolling stages like that is it gives a massive advantage to run away, faster characters.

If it does the forced transition thing like Pilot Wings I guess its a chance, but I personally wouldn't like that, it completely resets momentum and removes your good spacing.

Who wants to cry over cut characters again?

Okay, so here's a fun game.

Everyone post your top 10 favorite newcomers as of now, before having played the full game. Then in about 2 weeks or so, after everyone has had a chance to try out the game and see all the newcomers, post your new top 10. Remember, there are 15 newcomers, and Miis should be counted a single character. You don't have to put a lengthy explanation if you don't want to; I just wanted to express my satisfaction with the roster.:P

I'll start:
10. Lucina. I have no real connection with Lucina, but I like her better than the remaining newcomers for two reasons. 1), she looks like a sleeker and faster Marth, so maybe I'll get more use out of her than I ever did with Marth; 2), I know her inclusion made a looooot of people happy, and that makes me happy. A smash roster than satisfies everyone satisfies me, even if I am indifferent to the character.

9. Greninja. He ain't Mewtwo, but he's a badass frog Ninja. And my favorite Kalos starter. I think I can be pretty happy with him, and he certainly looks fun to play.

8. Bowser Jr. Bowser Jr made it into Smash? And he brought the Koopalings with him? Well shiiiiiiit. I always thought he'd be a pretty boring character, but yet again, Sakurai proves me wrong as he comes equipped with an unlimited supply of clown karts! I always wanted the clown kart in Smash in some capacity, and well, wish granted tenfold. Sakurai exceeded my expectations by far, Jr & the gang will fit right in.

7. Pac-Man. Well, originally Pac Man was a character I actively did not want in Smash. Then I saw his moveset. He reminds me a lot of G&W, my main, which means he'll probably be a blast to play as. Sakurai works miracles, I tell ya.

6. Duck Hunt. What the hell is this character doing in Smash? I don't know, but apparently he's a zoner designed to piss people off. Perfect. I look forward to making you all rage quit.

5. Villager. After my playtime in the demo, I love the hell out of this characters. Tree mind games are the name of his game, and they're goddamn fun. He's a wonderful little pain in your opponent's neck, and can throw himself off the stage at will with the guarantee of coming back on. I don't think he'll be a main, but he will get a ton of playtime from me.

4. Shulk. Talk about 'fucking called it. I was saying Shulk was gonna be in from the beginning, before I had even touched Xenoblade Chronicles. Eventually I did pick up the game, and 2 semesters of college later I finally put in the work and started playing it. Game was long as hell, so I only just recently beat it (like a few weeks ago), but I sure am happy I did. After playing through Xenoblade I'm more hyped than ever to play as Shulk and put the work in to learn how to use those stances! I love technical characters, so he seems right up my alley.

3. Megaman. It's fucking megaman, man! How could he not be near the top? My #1 most wanted newcomer, and not only did he make it in, he got excellent representation. Great music, great stage (Yellow Devil aside), faithful moveset, and just overall lots of love for the Blue Bomber. Unfortunately, my actual playtime with him in the demo has kind of soured my opinion on him, but I still love how he's been implemented in the game. I won't be playing him as much as I thought I might, but that's okay, because I can enjoy fighting against him. He can finally be remembered among the Nintendo greats, like he always deserved.

2. Robin. Somehow, this character I had never heard of before his reveal trailer has rocketed his way to near the top of my favorite newcomers. I'm just so happy to have a mage in smash, I guess. Plus he looks really powerful and interesting to play. And aerial smashes are badass. Oh, and fem robin is superior Robin. Great job on Sakurai choosing Robin over chrom, really great job.

1. Little Mac. Mega Man was originally my most wanted newcomer, and he turned out to be true, but after seeing gameplay, Mac, my 2nd most wanted (realistic) newcomer, just looks so much cooler. I recognize his flaws in the air, but his pure power and speed is just so appealing. I don't think I'll main him, but goddamn if I'm not thrilled that he's finally in and can't wait to play him and punch some shit out!

Edit: Changed my #9 spot because I forgot a certain pokemon existed, lol.

Last edited:
10. Mii's - There's so much you can do with them it's hard to not love them.

9. Palutena - I love her in KI:U, and even though her moveset doesn't look like I'll like it, her personality will shine through.

8. Wii Fit Trainer - Mostly cause she's hot and someone drew Rule 34 of me banging her wearing a Villager mask. Don't ask. Long story.

7. Pac Man - He just looks like a fun, weird, non-swordy character. Plus he's freakin' iconic.

6. Bowser Jr. - I HATED him being in until I saw his moveset. It's creative, fun, and honestly perfect for Smash. Plus dem alts.

5. Duck Hunt - See Bowser Jr.

4. Greninja - One of my favorite Pokemon, and someone who I think really fits well in the roster.

3. Robin - Someone I didn't expect but lord if his/her moveset seems awesome.

2. Little Mac - He can punch shit good.

1. Mega Man - Even after playing him I freaking love him so much. AND HIS MUSIC. GUHHH.

8. Wii Fit Trainer - Mostly cause she's hot and someone drew Rule 34 of me banging her wearing a Villager mask. Don't ask. Long story.

Lmao

I've seen that picture.
And these is absolutely no way you are that buff.

10. Rosalina - All praise be to the 7'7" Woman of the Stars

9. Bowser Jr. - ROY'S OUR BOY

8. WiiFit Trainer - I wanna see the 34 too goodbye

7. Duck Hunt Duo - WHEN I SAW THE LEAKS I WANTED TO BELIEVE IT WAS REAL. LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT IT BEING REAL WOULD SOON BE THE LAST THING I WANTED. POPO, NANA, WHYYYYYYYYYY

6. Little Mac - He's pretty cool I guess. Punch-Out's fun stuff.

5. Pac-Man - I didn't want him until I saw that he had his classic design AND that he's basically a walking Namco museum.

4. Mega Man - I looooooove Mega Man, always have, always will. And this is easily THE most accurate representation he's ever had.

3. Shulk - I actually had JUST bought Xenoblade the day before his reveal came out. And that might be part of the reason he's so high up. Plus, the Monado arts sound amazing.

2. Villager - He annoys people. I annoy people. It's a match made in heaven.

1. Robin - He was truly the character I didn't even know I wanted. I was excited for the possibility of Chrom joining Smash, that I forgot about the best tactician. Plus he's like Ness but a white-haired aminay.

10. Rosaluma - ass titties ass and titties ass ass titties titties ass and titties

9. Little Mac - seventeen to be exact

8. Annie - and about damn time too

9. Ridley Scott - when's John Carpenter though

18. The number twelve - knew she could make it

Q. Voice Actor Steve Blum - finally i can shout people to death in a manly voice

:V. A busload of catholics - AND ABOUT DAMN TIME TOO

Five. the idea of conquering china - that final smash tho

Porque. Master Goku Chief - thank you sakuri samurai

1. Little Mac - yes a second time

10. Wii Fit Trainer - I'll try her out some for the concept alone. She honestly looks pretty vanilla overall but I won't knock her until I try her.

9. Mii - Demi-fiend brawler please and thank you.

8. Greninja - The only reason he's so low is that he seems like he's going to be extremely hard to control. I mean yeah look at my number 1 but I get the feeling I'll be SDing a whole bunch with the frog. I'll try him though.

7. Shulk - His normals seem really wonky but I like the Monado Arts concept. I'll definitely try him out some to see if he's worth it at all.

6. Mega Man - It's Mega Man come on. I'm only not that excited for the excessive landing lag that he seems to have. Sakurai pls.

5. Little Mac - I LOVE the Punch Out series and this guy was one of my most wanted newcomers. He looks like he'll be tough to get used to but I will try my best.

4. Duck Hunt Dog - I really like this guy's moveset. He reminds me of Peacock in a sense: a zoner whose sole purpose is to piss the other player off. And it's amazing.

3. Palutena - If custom movesets aren't banned then I'm going to be jump gliding everywhere with her. And she'll be the BEST character for when anyone wants to tauntparty.

2. Robin - Best Fire Emblem newcomer. Ever. Arcfire into everything looks especially dangerous.

1. Rosalina - Just the prospect of a true puppet character in Smash gets me excited, and since the general consensus is that she's going to be top tier then I'm going to have so much fun with this woman.

On an unrelated note...

Fun fact, actually. Just read this on TVTropes:

All the Kid Icarus Uprising voice actors got replaced with sound alikes other than Pit himself and Viridi.

Meaning Space Dandy is now Magnus and Patricia Wagon from Mighty Switch Force is now Phosphora.

The good thing is they're really, really good sound alikes.

Yeah okay.
10. Lucina
Marth is probably my least favorite character.
I don't dislike his character or anything, I just can't play Marth for shit, never have been able to, probably never will try, and I think it essentially comes down to I don't know how to tip.
And I don't particularly want to be able to.
So a Marth that doesn't have that tip nonsense going on, and is a girl?
That's cool.

9. Bowser Jr.
Out of all the innovative new playstyles for our newcomers, having a Tron-esque mech character was pretty high up on the list.
So why isn't he higher on this list.
Well, I only just like his playstyle you know, I'm not excited for it, my eyes didn't light up in delight when I saw it.
It's cool, but that's all it is.

8. Rosalina & Luma
Speaking of exciting new playstyles, a puppet character in Smash? Unheard of.
It was interesting, it was new,
and she had an awesome trailer that captured almost everything I enjoy about the crossover genre.

7. Villager
Now, compared to Bowser Jr. and Rosalina, Villager's gimmick is a bit more tame, but more importantly, Animal Crossing is a series that has desperately needed some playable representation for a while now, and Villager is probably the perfect way to represent AC as a whole.

6. Shulk
When I first heard who Shulk was and why people wanted him to be in Smash, I was so on board. I pictured in my head some kind of neat combination of both swordsmanship and magic, which is a very basic idea that no one in Smash had done before. The closest was Link, but he wasn't so much magic as he was long ranged/projectile weapons, so it wasn't exactly what I was looking for.
For that matter, neither was Shulk, but what we got was interesting and new in it's own right, so it not only lived up to my hype, but also diverted it and surprised me in the process.

5. Duck Hunt
*sigh*
Yes, I've warmed up to that dog.
I'll be honest, the concept of him representing the light gun games as a whole was genius, and something that hadn't even crossed my mind, so the fact that he was representing a whole section of Nintendo's history made me fall for him.
And I can't stay mad at a cartoon dog.

4. Wii Fit Trainer
When I saw the trailer I thought it was a joke, I desperately wanted it to be a joke.
But as I watched it again. And again. The Trainer's charm shined through to me.
I guess it's not so much the Trainer herself but what she represented that I like.
When she was revealed I knew that we were in good hands for the character select this time around. And I knew this game was gonna be fucking awesome.

3. Robin
Yeah, Robin was what I wanted Shulk to be.
And that fact alone skyrockets him.
But he's unique, he's a very good representation of Fire Emblem, one of Nintendo's bigger series at the moment, and he has a lot of charm to him.

2. Mega Man
Yeah.
Even though I'm not a fan of the character, and I'm not liking his playstyle,
he gets this high on the list by virtue of being Mega Man in a Smash Bros. game, and so well represented too.
Like him just being here makes the game great.

1. Little Mac
Oh my God, Little Mac. I've wanted this guy in since I was like 9. The first moveset I ever made was Little Mac, hell Punch Out was, and is, one of my favorite Wii games of all time. He was my number 1 newcomer pick going into this and I can still eel the heart-racing excitement and sheer giddiness I felt when I saw his trailer for the first time, I can even remember the context of it exactly.
It was fantastic seeing him, his pink hoodie, his wonderful animations, his cool playstyle, I absolutely loved every single thing about him.

10. Rosaluma - ass titties ass and titties ass ass titties titties ass and titties

Mained. (probably)

Meaning Space Dandy is now Magnus.
first of all how dare you
second of all Magnus is voiced by Patrick Seitz in Smash
third of Space Dandy is Ian Sinclair
fourth of all pistols at dawn
fifth of all you're grounded

first of all how dare you
second of all Magnus is voiced by Patrick Seitz in Smash
third of Space Dandy is Ian Sinclair
fourth of all pistols at dawn
fifth of all you're grounded

My friend just messaged me on FaceBook simply saying "Space Dandy is now Magnus in Smash"
I'm gonna write him a stern message

But that means Ragna is Magnus which is funny cause stupid swords

You don't think he was talking about the Japanese VA's do you?

tumblr_nalq91wupF1raw0l0o1_400.gif

Anyway, top ten
10. Duck Hunt Dog: Really Duck Hunt mostly looks like an "eh" character to me. His specials are interesting, yeah, but other than that his regular moves just feel like they lack an oomph to them. That'll probably change when I play him, but that's what I'm getting right now.
9. Shulk: While the monado arts or whatever looks great, I can't help but shake the feeling that he's unusually slow in attacking from gameplay I've seen. I may be just watching the wrong players, but that's just me. Looks good besides that.
8. Robin: Doing smash attacks in the air was enough for me to like the character. I think the usage of "limited" items is neat. Not much else I have on him/her really.
7. Bowser Jr.: I've never really been a fan of Bowser Jr., but that Clown Car certainly makes up for it. It might be just how differently he moves because of it compared to the rest of the cast. Also I think the mechanic where his clown car takes less damage than normal and Bowser Jr. takes more than normal is a nice touch.
6. Wii Fit Trainer: The straightforwardness of this character is why I think I like her so much. Simple gimmicks, simple playstyle, and a simple theme, go crazy.
5. Rosalina and Luma: Super Mario Galaxy was the first console Mario I played through, so she's more distinct to me than other Mario characters. I've never really clicked with Ice Climbers, but I think this character duo will be great.
4. Pac-Man: Among all the characters of Smash, none really seem to have the...fluidity? that Pac-Man has. There's just something about the way he's animated that makes me want to play him, on top of his moveset also looking really fun.
3. Mii Fighters: I've always been a fan of customizability, and this is where the Mii fighters shine. It's really the varied movesets that get me interested in them.
2. Little Mac: Among the new fighters, he seems downright the most entertaining to play for me. I just play on the ground much more than the air anyway.
1. Palutena: Uprising was one of the few games I completed in the last year, so Palutena was a big character for my time. Since I'm not as familiar with characters like Robin or Shulk, she's the one with the most personality in the new cast to me. Great character, great moveset, great variation, she's the best overall to me.

nope!
Dandy is voiced by Junichi Suwabe in japan
Magnus is voiced by Kenji Nomura

don't try me with voice actors, friend
i know my voice actors

nope!
Dandy is voiced by Junichi Suwabe in japan
Magnus is voiced by Kenji Nomura

don't try me with voice actors, friend
i know my voice actors

Wasn't challenging you man, just bringing up a possibility.
The most I know about VA's is just the ability to accurately tell if that is Tara Strong 90% of the time.

Reactions: drewski
Who wants to cry over cut characters again?

Damn. There's, like... all my mains in one video.

10. Dark Pit
I'm well aware people aren't a huge fan of this character, for some good reasons, and some... questionable reasons, but as someone who played KI:U and enjoyed him as a character, I believe I'll find some enjoyment out of him. I'm still disappointed he's a clone though.

9. Duck Hunt Dog (Wait, no, it's just Duck Hunt.)(Wait, It's Duck Hunt Duo...?)(Wait, now it's just Duck Hunt again. I'm confused...)
Inconsistent naming aside, DH/D/D is a character I never even considered, but looking back on it, I probably should have been thinking of them the moment the place of NES representative opened up. The character looks interesting, but I'm just not that in to zoners, which sucks because this character seems so interesting.

8. Palutena
Basically see Dark Pit, though the fact she seems really interesting to play bring's her up above Pitoo.

7. Robin
While DEFINITELY not my favourite Awakening character, Robin wasn't bad, and probably was the highest ranked one that could have been made into a good move set. I think the real reason why Robin is not as hype as he has the right to be is just because I would have liked a different FE rep.

6. Bowser Junior ROY ROY ROY
Roy seems like he as an interesting move set with the clown car and all that, and the damage mechanic that apparently exists seems like a very fun way to survive blows.
Also his cheer is "Roy's Our Boy!" which might help a little bit.

5. Villager
While the demos kind of got me down on Villager, and the memes stopped being funny about 2.84915 milliseconds after they were made, the fact that the goddamn VILLAGER from fucking ANIMAL CROSSING got a place in Smash Bros. still blows my mind.

4. Pac-Man
TheThe Pac is Bacᵀᴹ and looking fun as ever (except for that one time when he was in an adventure game and it was weird) Pac-Man was my dream option if Namco-Bandai signed of on it, and when it was revealed that they were working on the game I nearly passed out. His game play doesn't seem to hurt that little pie chart either.

3. Mega Man
..... What? You expect me to say why I like Mega Man? He's Mega Man. MEGA MAN. The reason I'm happy he's in is the same reason you're happy he's in.

2. Little Mac
As someone who loved Punch Out!! when I was a kid, seeing the Mac as an assist trophy in Brawl nearly shattered my little heart. But when I first saw that reveal trailer OH GOD, I was so goddamn hype. The fact his game play is so fun-looking is just icing on the cake, I would have played him no matter what.

1. Greninja
Now, here's something strange. While Greninja is my favourite Kalos starter, that normally would have propelled him to seventh place max, it's Greninja's gameplay that get's me the most. It's like they took my top aspects from all my top characters through the years and wrapped them into one big, moist, sticky, frog-shaped bundle.

You might want something to snack on.

10. Wii Fit Trainer
Wasn't crazy about her at first, considering that she was one of the first characters revealed, and she was someone who literally no one asked for, but she grew on me. She's an addition that's just out there, and I'm interested in trying her out.

9. Bowser Jr.
Not a fan of Bowser Jr. as a character at all, but I can stomach him because the clown car gives him a unique moveset, plus I don't even have to technically play as him. I can be Wendy, or Larry, or Morton, or whoever else I feel like. Probably Wendy mostly, since she + clown car is the closest thing I'll get to having Tron Bonne in Smash Bros.

8. Mii Fighter
Didn't like the idea, but the execution quickly made me change my tune. Believe it or not, my favorite thing about the Mii Fighters is not that I can basically play as whoever I want, but it's actually the fact that I can play dress-up with my Miis. :3

7. Pac-Man
I am just now realizing how many character ideas there are that I wasn't keen on initially, but changed my mind about them as soon as I got to see them in action in this game. I like how Pac-Man looks here, and I'm looking forward to giving him a spin.

6. Lucina
Didn't have a strong opinion of her at first since I hadn't gotten that far in Fire Emblem Awakening at the time. But because of that trailer, I decided to get back into that game. After recruiting Lucina, I ended up really liking her. A bit of a shame that she's a clone of Marth, but I'll live considering I feel I no longer have a reason to play Marth much.

5. Duck Hunt Duo
I was interested in seeing how this dog played when all we had was the leak. He looks like a lot of fun. Also, I'm one of the few people who didn't hate him in the original game.

4. Rosalina and Luma
I didn't think she'd ever have a chance of getting in to Smash, but lo and behold. I was thrilled that she made it in, and I like her gimmick. I may never get Geno, but I'm happy that I was able to get another one of my favorite Mario characters.

3. Mega Man
I like to think I'm a fan of the series as a whole, even though I'm much better at the X series than the Classic series, but regardless, Mega Man was another exciting addition. And I was certainly glad to see him, and all the other Mega Men in his final smash, after so many goddamn cancellations.

2. Robin
This was a character I didn't even know I wanted until I saw the trailer. It's neat that we're finally getting a Fire Emblem character that can use magic. Plus she looks a hell of a lot of fun, and I can't wait to try her out. And yes, I'm going to be sticking with the female version. Because that is the correct version.

1. Palutena
Palutena was easily my most-wanted character for this game. I loved her in Kid Icarus Uprising, so I'm glad that even though those leaked pictures of her turned out to be fake, she ended up being playable anyway. I mostly wanted her in because I like her as a character, but I felt that she would work in Smash Bros. too. Her playstyle seems to be much different than what I'm used to in these types of games, but if I can get the hang of Peach (who I thought I would never get the hang of back in the Melee days), I'm sure I can figure out Palutena. Also she's got her girly run from the Revolting Dinner shorts. EEEEE :3

10. Pac-Man
9. Villager
8. Bowser Jr. (or any other Koopaling)
7. Wii Fit Trainer
6. Little Mac
5. Duck Hunt Duo
4. Greninja
3. Mii Brawler
2. Palutena
1. Rosalina & Luma

Last edited:
top 10.jpg

1.Cus Iggy's the best koopaling and morbid curiosity
2.Cus of Laharl esq skin and Dark Pit get's my respect as being one of the best 'rival' fights in game sense Zelda 2 dark link
3. Love the character and seems like the ultimate denial character with reflect and counter
4.A marth I can actually play, maybe, and being more relevant than marth too
5. Interesting ideas and stuff
6. sucker for the yellow orb and classic namco stuff
7. WATER NINJA
8. MAGIC USER
9. MEGAMAN (also I feel I play better as Mega if get in mindset that I'm playing Megaman rather than Smash)
10. Because I've been waiting in vain to have Muttley to be relevant so I'll take what I can get
blue hair.jpg

Reactions: musica