• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

843f2e30dc82998aef0bbb508ac96703.jpg

tumblr_nfdsixNZhQ1qfqg0yo1_1280.jpg

This picture is actually kind of interesting to me because it looks like a very cartoony font at this angle, but I feel that if you looked at it head-on it probably would look janky and weird.

Is it just me or is SSB 4 Wii U MUCH harder than the 3DS Version?
I mean, I struggled from time to time there, but I feel like I'm getting my ass whipped in here.

Could be that I'm just not used to the Pro controller yet, but dang man.

Gamecube controller will ease your pains.

Also, remember how Shulk's Amiibo is exclusive to Gamestop?

Lucario's exclusive to Toys-R-Us.
Meta Knight's exclusive to Best Buy.

So is it just me or are all the "Reward" challenges in Event Mode just equipment and Money?
Like, seriously?
That doesn't give me much incentive to try hard.

repeat custom specials

Just one step through the path of greatness.
And then another.
And then another.
And then another.
Okay, game, I have enough Scalding F.L.U.D.Ds now.
No, no, not more, I don't need mo- okay, I guess one more is fine, but I need Ganon speci- no, Ganon, not Donkey Ko- okay, I don't think your listening anymore.

Here's the official karissa video:

So yeah the smash community kind of made a mountain out of a molehill with this one.

Is it just me or is SSB 4 Wii U MUCH harder than the 3DS Version?
I mean, I struggled from time to time there, but I feel like I'm getting my ass whipped in here.

Could be that I'm just not used to the Pro controller yet, but dang man.
More cpu time is probably allocated to a.i. processes.

Oh my God, Falco, what did he do to you?!
Jesus, I thought the reason that I was getting my ass kicked was the 3DS, but no, he's just really bad now.
The only spacie that I ever bothered to learn, and he's ruined now.
AAAAARRRGGGGGHHHH

A game where a space animal is shit?

I must've stepped into a parallel universe where DDB spreads Annie-hate throughout the forums and Mike Z has a sick afro.

I never realized how much I wanted to see Mike with an Afro...

(Oh, also, Falco was pretty un-good in Brawl, too, so you might have been in this hell-dimension longer than you thought.)

A game where a space animal is shit?

I must've stepped into a parallel universe where DDB spreads Annie-hate throughout the forums and Mike Z has a sick afro.
More like a parallel universe where Annie won and DDB doesn't have to bother with the shit he does.

can you imagine what life would be like if that's how life was
DDB would probably be the the top skullgirls player in the world
and a normal member of society

Reactions: DDB
can you imagine what life would be like if that's how life was
DDB would probably be the the top skullgirls player in the world
and a normal member of society
You say that like I'm not already both of those things.

So how's everyone enjoying the Wii U version...?

I played two hours of matches and around 1 of just fumbling with menus at a friends house (My copy should be getting here in a few days), and from that experience I can say a few things:

GOOD
The game looks beautiful.
Playing it with an actual controller is such a better experience.
Just feels 'better' outside of control on a big screen.
Stage Builder seems really sick (Will get back when I have full copy).

BAD
Very strange bugs with the c-stick/right-stick on all dualstick control methods.
Still no goddamn stages.
Bosses are really fucking annoying. (I know that Yellow Devil was in the 3DS version, I just never played on a stage with bosses before this)
Falco sucks now.
Smash Tour is actually pretty boring.

I (Thankfully) was not there when my friend was unlocking the stages and characters.
Also, from my experience, it's pretty boring with human players as well.

(Oh, also, Falco was pretty un-good in Brawl, too, so you might have been in this hell-dimension longer than you thought.)
being high tier is not would i call ungood, also have one of the best projectiles and really good chain grabs in that game.

also smash tour is really silly and fun and 8 player smash is amazing and much needed at a gaming club where there are generally more than 4 players playing at once.

being high tier is not would i call ungood, also have one of the best projectiles and really good chain grabs in that game.

also smash tour is really silly and fun and 8 player smash is amazing and much needed at a gaming club where there are generally more than 4 players playing at once.

Gonna be completely honest here, it's been ages since I actually looked at the Backroom tier list, and I got his placement completely mixed up with Fox's, because I am a smart person.

Maybe Smash Tour was boring because it was just two people playing it, but it seemed really dull at the time.

----------------

In an interesting twist, KTAR XI this year is apparently running 4v4s, so this will be a good way to measure their viability early on.

Their 4v4 banlist, for those interested:
Neutrals:
Big Battlefield
Windy Hill Zone
Final Destination

Counterpicks:
Temple
Omega FDs

o man i really wanna see a 4v4 tourney happen, can you link the youtube when it's archived and done cause i'm assuming it's going to be streamed. I played some 3v3 earlier and I enjoy that way more than 2v2.
and yea for smash tour having at least 3 people is helpful, also it seems like the easiest way to get custom moves sicne the home cancel trick doesn't seem to work that great for classic now.

o man i really wanna see a 4v4 tourney happen, can you link the youtube when it's archived and done cause i'm assuming it's going to be streamed.

It's actually already finished streaming, if you want to try and shift through the 10+ hours of VGBootCamp's Smash 4 archives, here you go.
The less painful to find archives will most likely be posted to VGBootCamp's YouTube channel throughout the week, link here, so keep an eye on that
If I see it first, though, then yeah, I'll link.

So I just got back from that tourney I helped run and it went really well. We got a much bigger turn-out than expected, 61 entrants (we were expecting like, 30-ish), and everyone seemed to really enjoy it. The diversity in types of matches (we did 8 player, then 4, then 1v1s) helped to keep people spectating and even by the end we had a good 20-30 people left watching. We were running a super-low budget tourney though, so unfortunately we had to turn a 61 person group into a 16 person group in 1 round, eliminating 5-6 players per match at first. Hopefully I'll get to do this again with a second room/Wii U and some better prizes, it'd be great to turn this into a yearly thing at my university.

We were running a super-low budget tourney though, so unfortunately we had to turn a 61 person group into a 16 person group in 1 round, eliminating 5-6 players per match at first.

The funny part is, even with that, your tourney was probably run better than KTAR 'yesterday'.
That was just a train wreck, through and through.

Crayolan better TO than Keitaro confirmed.

So I'm liking the Wii U version quite a bit! It's a lot of fun with human players and is absolutely infuriating against AI.

The difference between this game's AI and brawl's is that they literally know every input you're inputting as you're inputting and dodge it accordingly then retaliate with a kill move that you can't escape because you're stuck in cooldown. This was present in Brawl and even melee but not the the disgusting extent that it is here. Also, it's nearly impossible to fighting cpus offstage anymore because now they actually dodge instead of just sandbagging it. I miss being able to easily dunk 'em offstage.

The only reason I gripe about this is because I'm an achievement whore so I gotta catch 'em all and that requires me to sometimes solo modes on harder AI difficulties. As for the physics, they're ok and I'm still getting used to them.

So pilot wings is definitely not starter. There's a big hazard where the plane passes some metal bar and you can get hit by it, and it has a pretty good amount of knockback. I got killed by it twice today in friendlies and got fucking salty.

Back