• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

I've tried using it for pressure, but you do less damage, and the jump height reduction makes it comically easy for the opponent to just jump over me.
The air-speed thing, at least for recovery, has the same problems as jump, where you have to switch very quickly, and even then, your jump height is reduced.

So, have any other Shulk players out there found uses for Jump and Speed?
I get Jump is meant for recovery, but considering you are locked out of your b-moves when changing Arts, I don't think it's that good.
And I have no earthly clue what the Hell Speed is used for, at least not on For Glory.
Punish all the rolls!
since poeple love rolling in for glory speed would be very helpful for punishing roll aways since you can easily meet up the speed and get them after.
also a thing i love doing against poeple who are shielding is just run past them, it's a great roll punish since they roll right into you and you can grab them for it.

I feel roll-punishing is more of an effort of timing than speed, but next time I'm Shulk-ing all over For Glory I'll try it, thank you.

just use it the next time you're shulk
and the urge to go fast echos in your heart

Okay, thanks people for helping me suck slightly less as Shulk, I've realized that you should change your play style for your Arts, as opposed to your Arts to your play style, which is where I was messing up.

Also, thanks to a match with a laggy Sonic, I found out that Vision also misses on some moves with horizontal momentum as well, which is... 'fun' I suppose.

Say is there any indicator for how many collective hours you've played of Smash? I'm wondering how close I am to 50 hours.

Go to Vault, then Records, then Stats.
Ohhhh I see it now.

See, I was confusing total play time to Smash play time.

(If anybody wants to rack up hours on that like I did, go onto custom smash, have knockback .5, choose a max defense Bowser, and choose a minimum attack lvl. 1 CPU Jigglypuff, put it on boxing ring, and let it go plugged into the wall.

So, have any other Shulk players out there found uses for Jump and Speed?
I get Jump is meant for recovery, but considering you are locked out of your b-moves when changing Arts, I don't think it's that good.
And I have no earthly clue what the Hell Speed is used for, at least not on For Glory.
Huh? They are probably his 2 most useful?

If you get knocked off stage, tap B for jump > air doge > double jump upB is his best recovery I think.

Speed is just, like, the best? It gives you a low angle jump and makes you ridiculously fast. You can SHFF all over the place and be really annoying. It basically allows you to play Shulk as an offensive character quite safely for a short time instead of as his usual defensive self. When I play Shulk speed is always my first choice at the start of the round.

I almost never use buster any more, though, it seems like a gamble rather than an actual tool to use like the other arts.

Huh? They are probably his 2 most useful?

If you get knocked off stage, tap B for jump > air doge > double jump upB is his best recovery I think.

Speed is just, like, the best? It gives you a low angle jump and makes you ridiculously fast. You can SHFF all over the place and be really annoying. It basically allows you to play Shulk as an offensive character quite safely for a short time instead of as his usual defensive self. When I play Shulk speed is always my first choice at the start of the round.

I almost never use buster any more, though, it seems like a gamble rather than an actual tool to use like the other arts.

I found the Speed use, and yeah, it's pretty awesome now that I know how it works.
I still don't think that the Jump recovery thing is right; there have just been too many times where I Monado Arts for Jump, then on the last frame before it locks, and instead of Air-Slash I get Shulk contemplating on whether or not Speed is a good idea while he is tumbling to his death (though that may just be because I'm bad); I find Jump to be best used locked before it's needed, then use it for ridiculous air followups.

I find Buster is best used as a last resort, when you're at 150% vs a fresh stock and it's all or nothing, though I like to use it against the more floaty characters that are harder to combo; the reduced knock-back does wonders in those match-ups.

Last edited:
You have to air dodge at the right time to avoid that animation. Yeah that animation is annoying and will make you suicide if you mess it up, but it does make his recovery not only a lot better (you can do this while drifting towards the stage still) it means you can actually mix up your recovery a little more in other situations too.

The problem is you probably don't want jump active when you get back on stage... so you need to find space to deactivate.

Yeah there are benefits to using buster as a last resort (though I would usually opt for shield really) but the problem with reduced knockback is it reduces HITSTUN too, so you actually don't really get better followups with buster even on lighter characters. If I use buster I mostly try to space out rather than go for followups like I would with speed.

Oh yeah also more tech:
It makes air dodge landing as hard to punish as in brawl! Woohoo!

Reactions: juju_for_president

NO!
NOOOO!
NOT AGAIN!
YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!
I REFUSE!
I REEEFFFFUUUSEEE!!
In all seriousness, this is not nearly as bad as Brawl's air-dodge (few things are), in fact this is actually really cool, though it seems like a bitch to do under any lag, and it seems like only a few characters will get much out of it.
Seriously though, be more careful when saying things like that; you nearly gave me a Heart attack when I read that.

Reactions: Jake Was Here
Oh yeah also more tech:

But it also lets you use some attacks straight after landing, kind of balancing out the defensive buff with an offensive buff.

That's not balance, that's just a really good movement option.
Balance is trading off good qualities with bad ones to create a move with as many strengths as weaknesses.
This is just a better way of dodging attacks that you can do near anything out of.

Oh yeah also more tech:
is that only from short hops? i hope so.
regardless that's pretty annoying tech that i hope gets patched out, air dodge langing lag really needs to stay.

I've been doing something similar to this already as an approach.

If your character has a fast nAir (this works REALLY well with Pac-Man) do a short hop air dodge then cancel during the IASA(I hate this term) frames to get what is pretty much an invincible approach.

Of course it is only really useful for some characters, but I've found it really really good with Pac-Man, Sonic and Diddy Kong at least. I usually use bAir with Diddy though.

No, no, you forgot the b-tinsel after the Nier, if you do that than their just going to prowversel your Monopoly Man and you'll end up bankrupt with a shit car.
It's like you don't want to be good or something.

NO!
NOOOO!
NOT AGAIN!
YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!
I REFUSE!
I REEEFFFFUUUSEEE!!
In all seriousness, this is not nearly as bad as Brawl's air-dodge (few things are), in fact this is actually really cool, though it seems like a bitch to do under any lag, and it seems like only a few characters will get much out of it.
Seriously though, be more careful when saying things like that; you nearly gave me a Heart attack when I read that.
It isn't quite as bad but I'm not so sure anything that can cancel air dodge lag is good for the game.

is that only from short hops? i hope so.
It isn't but it's really really really precise timing otherwise since you can only cancel like the last 4 frames of the dodge iirc.

No, no, you forgot the b-tinsel after the Nier, if you do that than their just going to prowversel your Monopoly Man and you'll end up bankrupt with a shit car.
It's like you don't want to be good or something.
This isn't melee, man
Monopoly Man gets free parking now and you can get a scrabble off your kid's homework assignment and then ride that crazy train all the way to pizza town

Pic of the day. Here's the settings menu for Rules. Comical pictures appear on the left when you go through the options, so I'll briefly introduce them.
zlCfzSkIxXsomDvgwX

Going clockwise from the top-left corner, here are the pictures that appear for Rules, Time Limit, Custom Fighters, Stage Choice, Damage Ratio, and Handicap.
zlCfzSkIxkkXDWJ8Kr

In the Wii U version, you can customize additional rules from the beginning of the game. Here are the pictures displayed for Stock Time Limit, Team Attack, Pause Function, SD Penalty, Damage Display, and Score Display. You can almost hear Fox's cry in the picture displayed for SD Penalty settings.
zlCfzSkIye8EgM40Qj

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

...Is that Temple? Also what is that beach Kirby's on and what is that volcano Yoshi is jumping into?

I don't know about the pic with Yoshi, but i'm pretty sure Kirby is in Pilotwings.

That is Temple that Charizard and Toon Link are on, but it looks different somehow. Maybe Smash U is giving the retro stages makeovers while porting them...?!?

I don't know about the pic with Yoshi, but i'm pretty sure Kirby is in Pilotwings.

That is Temple that Charizard and Toon Link are on, but it looks different somehow. Maybe Smash U is giving the retro stages makeovers while porting them...?!?

It's been confirmed that Castle Siege and Halberd have updated textures from Brawl, so that seems likely.

Also expect Rainbow Cruise next on the list of returning Melee stages because its music was also in the 3DS version.

It's been confirmed that Castle Siege and Halberd have updated textures from Brawl, so that seems likely.

Also expect Rainbow Cruise next on the list of returning Melee stages because its music was also in the 3DS version.
So Brinstar Depths is returning? YES! That stage would be sexilicious!

Brinstar Depths is prob just there to be on regular Brinstar since it was on the stage in Brawl. I don't know if it's there on Smash 3D or just on sound test/Smash Run.

THE PASSAGE TO SMASH U IS PAVED WITH MENUS

Fuck yes Temple. Always love playing on this stage. Everyone does. Let's hope it gets the awesome Link Between Worlds remix too

inb4ruindoesn'tliketemple

I'm not sure if I'm really happy or very disappointed at how Ness's first stock went...

... Nah, actually I'm really happy.

Newcomer trailer imminent, I wonder if we'll just get one or both.

Newcomer trailer?
There's like, nothing to suggest this notion that there's going to be further newcomers ported to the 3DS in order to maintain this same roster stuff.
At this point I'm hopeful. Especially for Ridley in not-Other-M-form. But don't expect a newcomer, you feel me?

Newcomer trailer imminent, I wonder if we'll just get one or both.

It's cute how some people are still in denial as far as the roster goes.

Reactions: Rellek
Still rooting for playable bosses in special modes