• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

the Ice Climbers aren't a quirky animal duo
the Ice Climbers murder animals while climbing mountains
the Ice Climbers are assholes

You realize that the dog got a famous reputation of being the original asshole though

THE OMEGASSHOLE

The dog and duck have more buddy cop sitcom-potential than the Ice Climbers too.

Excuse you but we already have buddy cops.

ROB and Dr. Mario.

You realize that the dog got a famous reputation of being the original asshole though

THE OMEGASSHOLE
He didn't kill the ducks. He just collected them.

He didn't kill the ducks. He just collected them.

Still no reason to laugh at us when we miss though.

It's negative reinforcement, you see
the dog mocks you so that you'll improve

Reactions: Lavama
So is the tree and bush in the duck hunt stage actually something you can stand on or is it the background?

Cause otherwise this stage is kinda bland even with the stage hazard.

Also Game and Watch still doesn't have a stage for console, either retro or new. This strikes me as odd. Will we get our first "3" stage?

A what stage?
gabe_newell.jpeg

Well to be fair no characters can be leaked this time.

SURPRISE SOMEONE UNLOCKED ICE CLIMBERS

Oh nooooo.
What will happen when she spoils all the hidden characters?
Won't anyone think of the children?

Personally, I don't see why people are concerned about spoilers in a fighting game. I definitely want to know all about it ASAP - if there was a way to know the entire roster or stage selection for Smash Bros 5, I wouldn't hesitate.... well, as long as it doesn't involve talking to that uncle that works at Nintendo anyway.

Reactions: Rellek
Oh man why do I get the feeling this is banned.

Why can't fun stages be legal on Tournaments :/

It's banned because your idea of fun involves 2/3 of the stage being a walk off. Trust me, it's not so much fun when people sit in the corner and camp the wall and you have to wait until the non-walk off section for anything to happen.

if someone is camping near the wall just let them
they can't do anything to you from over there

if someone is camping near the wall just let them
they can't do anything to you from over there

You've failed to take a single thing into account.
image_62150_thumb_wide610.jpg

Reactions: CountofBleck
psh
Fox's blaster doesn't even do anything
it can't kill you at all

psh
Fox's blaster doesn't even do anything
it can't kill you at all

It can rack up damage until a dash can KO you.
Or a throw.
You're thinking in extremes too much.

Oh man why do I get the feeling this is banned.

Why can't fun stages be legal on Tournaments :/

Alright, this has been a long time coming.
Ahem.

THE BIG BAD LIST OF WHAT BANS A STAGE AND WHY

1. Walk-offs
Walk-off stages were banned, in part because of chaingrabs, but also because they heavily promote camping at a point in the stage where b-throw kills at 0%, which isn't fun to play or watch. They were also banned because they completely remove the edge game and off-stage game, which can completely cripple some characters.

Examples include:
Yoshi's Island (M+B)
Mushroom Kingdom 1 (M)
Mushroom Kingdom 2 (M)
Bridge of Eldin (B)
Distant Planet (4+B)
Gaur Plane (4)
Gerudo Valley (4)

2. Extreme Character Preference
These stages are those that provide an unfair amount of advantage for one or more characters, to the point that they have almost free wins on those stages.

Examples include:
Mute City (M, Peach and Jigglypuff)
Rainbow Cruise (B, Meta Knight)
Brinstar (B, Meta Knight)

3. Gaps
If a stage has an area of open space breaking up segments of the stage, it provides free wins to characters with spikes or meteors, and promotes camping by those characters on the other side of the gaps.

Examples include:
Jungle Japes (M)
Green Greens (M+B)
Norfair (B)
Reset Bomb Forest (4)
Find Mii (4)

4. Walls
Walls promote infinite combos and inescapable chaingrabs.

Examples include:
Corneria (M+B)
Onett (M+B)
Venom (M)
Delfino Plaza (B)
Shadow Moses Island (B)

5. Match-Influencing Scrolling
These stages are scrolling stages that, by virtue of obstacles, speed, or both, significantly influence the pace of a match without any player input.

Examples Include:
Icicle Mountain (M)
Poke Floats (M)
Rainbow Cruise (M)
Mushroom-y Kingdom (B+4)
Rumble Falls (B)
Summit (B)
3-D World (4)

6. Overly Powerful and/or Non-Indicated Hazards
These are stages which place a large amount of power in non-player influenced events, which may break combos, or worse, instantly kill.

Examples include:
Peach's Castle (M)
Corneria (M)
Pictochat (B+4)
WarioWare Inc. (B+4)
Pokemon Stadium 2* (B)
Hanenbow* (B)
Golden Planes (4)

*Not banned in all regions

7. Circle-Camping
These are stages (usually very large) that allow a player to go from one part of the stage to another in a path that can completely circumvent contact with an opponent, which heavily promotes stalling.

Examples include:
Hyrule Temple (M+B)
Yoshi's Island (Past Stage) (M)
Kongo Jungle (Past Stage) (M)
75m (B)
Luigi's Mansion (B)
New Pork City (B)

8. Game-Changing Nature
These are stages that completely change the nature of the game, the objectives of the game, the dynamic of characters, and so on.

Examples include:
Mario Bros. (B)
Balloon Fight (4)
Green Hill Zone (B+4)

9. Caves of Life
These are areas in a stage where walls and/or ceilings create areas where it is difficult or impossible to take a stock, promoting camping in said areas.

Examples include:
Brinstar Depths (M)
Great Bay (M)
Spear Pillar (B)
Arena Ferox (4)

Please note that it is very possible for a stage to be banned for reasons not listed here; this is intended as a general guideline for stages. If a stage has any of these things, it's probably not getting through. Also, it is very possible for a stage to be banned for multiple reasons.

TL;DR
This is why 'fun stages' aren't allowed in tournaments.

Wait Arena Ferox was banned?
Even though the Cave of Life goes away thus you can't really camp there?

Wait Arena Ferox was banned?
Even though the Cave of Life goes away thus you can't really camp there?

Nearly every single variation of Arena Ferox has a really good CoL.
Though technically, there isn't a Smash 4 backroom, and therefore there is no banlist for the game yet; this was just to give an illustration for Caves of Life.

Yeah but that's Melee being Melee. Peach and Ganondorf are pretty different now, and the stage size itself could be different. We'll have to see.

As someone who plays Gannon in PM, he still doesn't have the aerial mobility to stop that at all.
The stage is also just as big as it always was in PM, by the way.

Ignore me, I'm stupid; I didn't realize that you were talking about Smash 4.
If I had to give a opinion on it's legality in 4, then your right; things have changed. If I were to guess on it's legality, than I wouldn't have an answer right now. It's one of those things that we'll have to play by ear, since circle-camping can wildly change from game to game. I wouldn't expect it, though, since without major tweaking, it's still going to be very big, and still be outside of some characters jump range. I have been told in the past that I may be a bit paranoid about circle camping, though, (Years of the most easily camped character will do that to you), so I might just be crazy.

Last edited:
zlCfzSoDCw8K61N1h9

"Pic of the day. Here's a new stage, Wuhu Island. Flying around Wuhu Island may remind you of the Pilot Wings stage, but this time we tour famous locations on the island."

zlCfzSoDC6E4DlXUkI

"For example, here's the starting line of a power-cruising race. You may also find yourself at a mountain summit, in front of a fountain, on a suspension bridge, in a fighting arena, or riding on a boat. The stage really feels like a resort vacation."

zlCfzSoDC9QxDu0L4B

"I've been so busy with developing this game that I dreamed about tropical islands every time I saw this stage. …Beaches in the summer are great, aren't they?"

Last edited:
Someone with a pre-release review copy was allowed to give out one piece of information. He gave out the song list for Onett

8wiBOSm.png

Looks like this might be the only Mother stage. Oh well, it's the best Mother Stage