• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

This likely means they have a Nintendo sponsorship/partnership of some kind?

That's the general rumor spreading right now, and it seems pretty likely to me.
Which means that if Nintendo starts sponsoring more tourneys, this may be a thing that happens regularly.
If it is a big N sponsorship that is behind all this, then I think that I've lost a lot of respect for the team Apex guys, especially with what happened to Sethlon.
Honestly, this whole thing just leaves a bad taste in my mouth, and if this is going to become a thing now that Nintendo is sponsoring events, that makes me worried for the future of PM as a corner-stone at big Smash tourneys.

Hey, wasn't there a scene in Uprising where it basically went down like:

Medusa: You do realize YOU'RE the one who turned me into the thing I am today. Magically speaking.

Palutena: That's not my fault, it was the corruption of your heart that twisted you into the beast you are. Not the magic I casted on you to turn into the beast you are.

Something along the lines of that? Stop victim blaming 2KI4.

Remember though, Nintendo really could've just C&D'd PM at the blink of an eye. I think it's OK to miss out on spotlight from some officially-endorsed tourneys.

Plus Smash Wii U will be there, and i'm not fixing to go against that. =P

I think it's OK to miss out on spotlight from some officially-endorsed tourneys.

But that's the thing; where does it end? If Nintendo is for real on this tourney sponsoring thing, and places accept them and play by their rules, then what's to stop them from pulling PM from every single place that they can?
Also, Apex isn't just 'some tournament, it's the tournament for Smash; it's one of the biggest, one of the most viewed, one of the single most popular Smash-focused tourneys in the world, and they are selling out a large part of their community for Nintendo money. The biggest, best place for competitive Smash has now sold out the PM community, the PM players, the monsters that love PM, the commentators that love PM, the PMBR and the PMDT, everyone for money. If Nintendo follows through with this whole sponsorship thing, and TOs decide to accept their rules, then this will become standard, and PM will die, or at least it will decline.
This is not 'missing the spotlight on some officially endorsed tourneys,' this could spell the end for PM, all because Alex Strife decided that money was more important than the community that he claims to support.
Maybe I'm panicking, but I am very afraid of what could come from this, and what PM will become, and maybe even what the competitive scene in general could become.
This isn't doomsday, but it's a hell of a bad omen.

come at me tanner
tumblr_static_tumblr_static_f2087rq89jww0o8gwc8go0wso_1280.png

Have you played Uprising?
Because I haven't but I get the feeling that those convo's become a lot more, charming, funny, I guess,
if you've played it and are familiar with the characters.

it would be funnier if we got more characters that Pit, Palu, and Viridi
along with the occasional tagalonger

Snake at least had his iconic team

Okay, gonna go out on a limb
it shoulda been Doc Louis to get this games codec equivalent instead of Palutena.

Like, I liked the guidance ("Hey, it's Metroid!"), but it definitely would have been better with Doc who had lines for all the opponents in Punch Out.

Hey, look, more Kid Icarus. Good thing Sakurai knows that game needs tons of attention.

it would be funnier if we got more characters that Pit, Palu, and Viridi
along with the occasional tagalonger

Snake at least had his iconic team

I wish Hades would have shown up at least once or twice. Pyrrhon would have been cool to see too.

tumblr_ner3tiU8qM1ro0g5eo1_1280.png

"Shulk's Monado Arts boost various stats of his depending on what type he uses."
"Yes, but they also detract from other stats as well."

Just riveting.

Alternatively:
Get The Protomen to write a full song about each of the characters.
Actually I agree with spacewhale, let's do that.

You see Uprising's rantings and ravings were clever

in Uprising

This is not Uprising

Sakurai WANTS IT TO BE Uprising but it is not.

I think the reason why the codecs feel worse than Uprising's writing is because they were designed to be mostly reactionary and situational.

I figured it was because Uprising probably had more writers.
Like a story-driven action/adventure probably has more/better writers than a fighting game.

Uprising was also like
completely rewritten for the localization
like really completely
(cuz the japanese script was shit)
Smash feels more literal and direct
Should have gotten the trophy guy to write them, imo

I still want a medley of the boxer themes from Punch Out Wii
especially like
Aran Ryan's and Soda Popinski's

yo sakurai getting his Zelda knowledge fucking WRONG in Ganon's Guidance

"We don't know anything about his backstory" which is WRONG

"There are many different Ganons" which is also WROOOOONG

sakurai is mounting a personal attack on my childhood with this flagrant disregard for Zelda lore

yo sakurai getting his Zelda knowledge fucking WRONG in Ganon's Guidance

"We don't know anything about his backstory" which is WRONG

"There are many different Ganons" which is also WROOOOONG

sakurai is mounting a personal attack on my childhood with this flagrant disregard for Zelda lore

To be fair he was probably doing the sensible thing and disregarding all of the lore from Skyward Sword.
I mean he's still wrong but it's easier to make the mistake with that in mind.

his backstory came in Wind Waker, though...

I thought his backstory came from Ocarina of Time.
His motivation came from Wind Waker.
But like, the EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED angle came from Skyward Sword.

I thought his backstory came from Ocarina of Time.
His motivation came from Wind Waker.
But like, the EVERYTHING IS CONNECTED angle came from Skyward Sword.

No that came from Hyrule Historia. All that Skyward Sword gave us was that he was also reincarnated from Demise's hate (which doesn't make much sense) and really all that likely explains is why he has such powerful magic.

No that came from Hyrule Historia. All that Skyward Sword gave us was that he was also reincarnated from Demise's hate (which doesn't make much sense) and really all that likely explains is why he has such powerful magic.

Supplementary material don't count, I can ignore that.

Like,
I can deal with an official statement saying that yes, all the Link's and Zelda's are reincarnated because it's supplementary and doesn't show itself in the actual games.
But when Skyward Sword's all like DO YOU GET IT, DO YOU GET IT, IT'S ALL THE SAME PEOPLE AND REINCARNATION AND IT'S ALL BECAUSE OF THIS ONE MOMENT THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT GAME IN THE SERIES GUYS THE MOST IMPORTANT MOMENT it angers me.

Back