• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

So, a few things you need to know going in:
- Foxtrot (Called S-Dashing in the video for some reason)
A rhythmic tapping of the analog stick to allow a dash to go to neutral, then cancel the neutral frames into another dash.
The timing for each character is different.
Here is a gif (The gif is from Brawl, but it works in all the games the same way)

Fox-Trotting_Snake_Brawl.gif

Wait, this is an actual thing?
I found this like weeks ago dicking around in All-Star mode, I didn't think it would actually be competitively viable.

Wait, this is an actual thing?

This has been a thing since 64, you missed the bandwagon hard.
The main reason you don't hear people talk about it is that it is in a similar boat to Moonwalking, in that it is a movement option that is useful in specific circumstances, but is overall outclassed by other options, and therefore isn't talked about, learned by new players, carried on through time, etc.

Reactions: Tomo009
Think about the options the so called "advanced technique" gives you.

There have been so many people claiming things are advanced techniques just because it is a buzzword in the smash community.
This "new" technique does nothing more for you than simply running up and pivot fSmashing would, or just normally stutter stepping... which is all it is really.

How often is run up into your opponents face then fSmash a good option? not often? Stutter stepping is a thing people use but it isn't a main movement option, it isn't like wavedashing where you can perform any action out of it and can quickly CHANGE DIRECTIONS.

People are too eager to find the next wavedash, but forget what wavedashing is actually used for, it's not just moving fast.

Reactions: 8-Bit Templar
Even though dash dancing is impractical and kind of hard to do in this game, I do it anyway because it's fun.

And it weirds people out.

And you know what, dash dance+short hop+Arcfire ain't half bad.

I just crouch ten times at random intervals
it mostly gets me nowhere BUT it fakes 'em out sometimes

Reactions: Φ
Sometimes

I might even

Ya know

Actually do decently just to throw them off so I might stand a chance, then it's right back to losing.

This has been a thing since 64, you missed the bandwagon hard.
The main reason you don't hear people talk about it is that it is in a similar boat to Moonwalking, in that it is a movement option that is useful in specific circumstances, but is overall outclassed by other options, and therefore isn't talked about, learned by new players, carried on through time, etc.

Ah damn. I felt cool for a second.
Guess it makes sense though, I ain't too innately connected to Smash's competitive scene. Only ever seen a handful of professional tournaments and such.

POTD Roundup, first yesterday's...
-----
zlCfzStkYYYF1n_Eyi

"Pic of the day. Two-player options were added to a wide range of modes in this game.
-Classic
-All-Star
-Events
-Home-Run Contest (up to four players)
-Multi-Man Brawl (up to four players)
-Target Smash!! (up to four players)
-Trophy Rush
-Online Team Battles
Have fun with your siblings and friends."

-----
... And today's!
-----
zlCfzStvsHUWU5tvww

"Pic of the day. Some characters were displayed flat in their original games, so we made some trophies flat as well. For example, flat trophies from Rhythm Heaven and WarioWare…"

zlCfzStvsRsIGU7i57

"Strike different poses when viewed from behind!! The designers made these from scratch for this game--thank you, designers. There are other trophies that may strike a completely different pose, and some may not even show their backs at all."

Just beat Master Fortress for the 3rd time, this time with Toon Link on 9.0. Now to deal with the remaining bullshit challenges, top row still has yet to show itself.

Guys guys guys.

What if the last pic of the day is our first in-game look at Mewtwo.

It's just a picture of his nose.

Reactions: Lavama
It'd have to be a picture of his weird neck handle.

Just beat Master Fortress for the 3rd time, this time with Toon Link on 9.0. Now to deal with the remaining bullshit challenges, top row still has yet to show itself.
Isn't Lucina beating 8 in Cruel Smash on the top row?

What if the final PoTD is the Ice Climbers

Surprise they're back and playable

at long last

Reactions: Φ
What if the final PoTD is the Ice Climbers

Surprise they're back and playable

at long last

as a trophy
on the 3ds version
when plugged into a 2DS
only on Tuesdays
and only if your 2DS system name is "Keith L'ouran"
bro

as a trophy
on the 3ds version
when plugged into a 2DS
only on Tuesdays
and only if your 2DS system name is "Keith L'ouran"
bro

For 4.99$

Isn't Lucina beating 8 in Cruel Smash on the top row?

Yes, considering I have everything except the top row visible and don't see it. I haven't done that challenge yet though.

Since that post I actually have unveiled one block on the top row after completing All Star Normal without healing as Falcon.

completing All Star Normal without healing as Falcon.

You are all insane.
Every single one of you, crazy.
What is even wrong with you achievement nuts.
... On second thought, don't answer that question.
I don't want to know.

You are all insane.
Every single one of you, crazy.
What is even wrong with you achievement nuts.
... On second thought, don't answer that question.
I don't want to know.

It wasn't that hard, Falcon is very good for All Star. I've already completed much harder challenges like All Star Normal with Lucario, All Star Hard with Duck Hunt, and All Star in under 6 minutes with Shulk.

the custom stage builder is really fun and I made a couple moderately vanilla stages that are pretty legit and fun.
the first one is a mostly flat stage with 2 slight slants downward so it has slight slopes by the ends.
The second is a stage with two big colloms where the fighting takes place, a hole inbgetween them with a platform. Basically the first part of the KI stage on the 3ds without the higher platforms.

I've been saying since the 3DS version that Diddy is top 3 easily. He's going to remain in the top 5 at least as the game progresses without a doubt.
Flavor of the month isn't necessarily a bad character- in fact more times than not they're quite good.
He's just the character that people discovered and then decided to ceaselessly bitch about.

And yet you didn't tag me?

Your username consists of a symbol which does not exist on my keyboard. Too much work.

I feel the love.

Yes, considering I have everything except the top row visible and don't see it. I haven't done that challenge yet though.

Since that post I actually have unveiled one block on the top row after completing All Star Normal without healing as Falcon.
You're actually right. There is no Jigglypuff on 9.0 There's 2 challenges right next to each other;

One says "Beat Classic on 9.0" and "Clear All-Star with Jigglypuff in 6 minutes or less" So yeah I've been torturing myself basically. That being said, I still can't beat classic on 9.0. I dunno what I'm doing wrong.

You're actually right. There is no Jigglypuff on 9.0 There's 2 challenges right next to each other;

One says "Beat Classic on 9.0" and "Clear All-Star with Jigglypuff in 6 minutes or less" So yeah I've been torturing myself basically. That being said, I still can't beat classic on 9.0. I dunno what I'm doing wrong.

The secret is that Jigglypuff is the best character for classic 9.0

Well fortunately for you 6 minutes or less with Jigglypuff is easier than it sounds. I did it on like my 2nd or 3rd try (as opposed to the Shulk in under 6 minutes challenge, which took around 15-20 attempts). Don't fall for the trap of trying to rest everything, just spam her side smash and follow offstage whenever there's no one on the ground to side smash. Only rest when there's a single opponent left--the time you spend sleeping could be better spent getting another 2 kills.

I just don't know anymore. I'm not finding Samus as fun as I've found her to be for the last... 14 years. What do I do? I'm at a loss and I don't want to drop her, but I feel like I'm losing all the skill I've gained with her.

That must be soul-crushing.

Maybe it's time to move on...and meet new people.

But... I've been with her for over half my life... How do I just move on after that?