• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The Smash Bros Discussion Thread

While I'm not usually on board with characters that aren't complete Nintendo classics, I am slightly on board with this dylan character. He's not much of a new twist and his moveset might be somewhat bland, it would add a new character archetype to the Smash-verse. Still though, not a big chance at all but I wouldn't mind seeing that. It doesn't seem totally out of place.

Bland? Well maybe if one takes the lazy route he would be kinda like Sonic. At least he'd have a lot of rolling and spinning moves like Sonic at least. But Dillon comes from a tower defense game. Way I see it, what better way to emphasize that then giving him the ability to set up miniature versions of the gun towers you need to commonly build and protect in the Rolling Western games as a form of mini turret weapons that attack the other characters.

And of course there's the fact that he's a ranger, which going by the context the games use that word for, may as well be another term for cowboy. If Sakurai really needs to take liberties and make stuff up for him, just give him a gun or whip or something.

brb downloading Rolling Western. Let's see how he'll play

I noticed that Club Nintendo offer and I'm very tempted. Feel free to share on if it's any good or not.

I noticed that Club Nintendo offer and I'm very tempted. Feel free to share on if it's any good or not.

Will do, dude who is using my friends picture that I helped him make as a profile picture
seriously what are the odds

Reactions: Crayolan
Will do, dude who is using my friends picture that I helped him make as a profile picture
seriously what are the odds

o_o
You helped make this gif? Well thanks! Hat Kid is awesome. hatkid4smash

Bland? Well maybe if one takes the lazy route he would be kinda like Sonic. At least he'd have a lot of rolling and spinning moves like Sonic at least. But Dillon comes from a tower defense game. Way I see it, what better way to emphasize that then giving him the ability to set up miniature versions of the gun towers you need to commonly build and protect in the Rolling Western games as a form of mini turret weapons that attack the other characters.

And of course there's the fact that he's a ranger, which going by the context the games use that word for, may as well be another term for cowboy. If Sakurai really needs to take liberties and make stuff up for him, just give him a gun or whip or something.

See that makes me not want him in now XD That seems like assist trophy material right there.

I would be curious to see a demon summoner in smash... Using jack frost, cerberus and maybe cu chulainn. Would be in intresting alternate/rival to pkmn trainer. and fire emblem X SMT Is coming too

I think Dylan has a great chance, but this month we'll probably get a Zelda reveal

And last month we were probably gonna get a Pokemon reveal. I'd expect more images of Luigi playing with his nose, shots of the Male Wii Fit trainer's butt (to complement all the female images), or at the very best, a side-view of Xerneas. No front views though, we don't want to spoil all 4 people who haven't played XY.

Reactions: Azzamacazza
Alright. Quickie review of Dillons Rolling Western after the 2 first "days" of the game.

Controls: You hold it similar to Kid Icarus (sorry lefties). It was weird at first but felt like a dream after. You "shoot" him kinda like a slingshot to do damage and it's fun. There's a lot more one on one combat than in a regular tower defense game. In fact, I'd say that's the secondary genre of this game.

Graphics: Stylistically, the game looks great. However, at some parts, the framerate goes down to 20 FPS. It's not a deal breaker but I hope it was fixed for the sequel. There are a lot neat little "Nintendo" touches, such as Dillon pulling off a stoic version of Link's treasure chest opening, finding heart containers, to the fact that he feels like Goron Link from Majora's Mask. The enemies are pretty bland, but surprisingly threatening when they come in droves.

Gameplay: It's a great concept. You can fight enemies hand to hand in a battle arena by running into them, but the other troops don't stop advancing. This makes you want to do battles fast, but the way you deal damage goes against you if you do, creating a nice dynamic. Dillon also has claw combos that are cool but sometimes hard to pull off. There's item hunting and stuff to do too.

Finally, this game is unforgiving. I was expecting hand holding of "this is how you do this, and you do this now". No no, this game is not like Nintendo in that aspect at all. You are literally thrown in the world and you go. You learn on your own, which is really neat and a nice change of pace. For example, the title screen says "attack to start!" so you learn to attack by starting the game. There's feelings of discovery in this I haven't felt for ages.

Those worrying about Dillon being "just a roller/tower defense character" if he comes to Smash, oh no, there's a lot more to him. He has claw slashes, rolling, shotguns, cannons, and whatever else comes in the sequel.

So far, I'd say DRW is worth the 200 Club Nintendo coins, though don't expect it to be a nice and easy experience.

Finally, this game is unforgiving. I was expecting hand holding of "this is how you do this, and you do this now". No no, this game is not like Nintendo in that aspect at all. You are literally thrown in the world and you go. You learn on your own, which is really neat and a nice change of pace. For example, the title screen says "attack to start!" so you learn to attack by starting the game. There's feelings of discovery in this I haven't felt for ages.

Sold. Not like I have anything else to spend my Club Nintendo Coins on, unless they decide to bring back those Hanafuda Cards.

Today's screenshot shows off Villager's love for planting and growing trees.

daily.jpg

Yaaaay something else we already know plenty about!

There must be a Tapatalk bug on these screens... It always appear pikachu and mega man here

Yaaaay something else we already know plenty about!

Technically all we know is what it does. I'm still confused as to whether it's one whole special move that works in a sequence or a combination of two or more.

I hope it's two separate moves. Being able to add a "barrier" to the stage is really cool and would allow you to do wall-combos on every stage.

It looks like whatever direction the special is, you have to use it at least 4 times: once to plant it, twice to water it, and then 2 axe swings to chop it.

Between Mega Man and Villager, it's nice that they're adding in characters that don't do traditional "combos" like the swordsmen. Mega Man is pure keep away which is awesome and Villager seems very defensive, slow and deliberate. Say what you will about how Project M is "a million times better than Smash 4" but I really don't think it's necessary to have to pick and be hyped for only one.

Hell, right now I'm hyped for 4 Smash games being made at the same time right now:
There's a lot of negativity in all gaming communities it feels like, but at least I know I can be happy with all four of my new Smash Bros games, and no one can tell me otherwise.

New alt costumes for Project M!

Click here to see them listed
  • Melee Fox
  • OoT Link
  • Shadow Queen Peach
  • Mr. L Luigi
  • Dry Bowser
  • New ROB Color
  • Melee Pikachu hats

Reactions: Shooon
Shadow Queen Peach should have been in Brawl. Without the spiky collar thing, literally all they have to do is make her palette a blackish purple and make her skin pale, then give it a light purple tint. Lazy Nintendo, it's only as much work as Dark Link.
And if Mr. L isn't a palette in Smash 4 I'll be convinced Sakurai just hates the Paper Mario series or something, cause it hardly ever gets represented at all.

where did you get those renders?

This just in, Link's down air now has a sweetspot at the sword's tip for a meteor smash, but may be removed if too powerful.

Yeah but you had to have some serious balls to actually do it because Toon Link went flying down

Wasn't Toon Link's a meteor smash in Brawl?

Only during the first few frames. After that, it hit similarly to Link's only weak as hell.

But this is some serious shit. Link gets a meteor? (Minus his dtilt) I hope they keep it! He can certainly use it. Poor guy being so low on every tier listing lol.

Only during the first few frames. After that, it hit similarly to Link's only weak as hell.

But this is some serious shit. Link gets a meteor? (Minus his dtilt) I hope they keep it! He can certainly use it. Poor guy being so low on every tier listing lol.

Not sure if Toon Link's dair is the same, but the way Sakurai describes Link's new dair meteor is exactly like Young Link's dair. If it's anything like Young Link's then it should be pretty difficult to land. I'm not a Link main though so I don't know if this is a good change or not. If anything I think it might be bad because Link (in Melee) relies on dair to get a lot of ceiling kills. It might screw him up if he accidentally lands a meteor which sends them down toward the stage where they can tech/get away.

them graphics though

Is it me or does Marth seem a bit more feminine than usual here
screen-9.jpg

Looks more like he's fed up with people dubbing him girly.

can we talk about how awesome these renders look, this looks way better to me than the next gen graphics

I honestly think he looks manly in comparison to his previous appearances. Much more like his original FE design than before.

I believe this is appropriate:

I honestly think he looks manly in comparison to his previous appearances. Much more like his original FE design than before.

Probably because it's technically his Shadow Dragon design which was a remake of the original FE.