• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

The "social media updates" thread - now with 99% less drama

That looks like a LOT of progress on Marie, wow. I wouldn't be surprised if we get early access within August, especially considering EVO.

Also interesting to note how different Marie sounds compared to her boss form. The VA is the same, but her tone sounds more...happy? Hopeful? Not bad, just will take some getting used to (maybe has story significance too? Who knows!).

(vacuum appears! fun use of stagger animation)

"It would really suck if Marie couldn't grab with her vacuum! Did you notice Marie sound a little different from her Bloody Marie boss form? Kira Buckland actually voices both characters, but the 'Skullgirl echo' is more subtle with playable Marie."

Reactions: Holy Goose
(vacuum appears! fun use of stagger animation)

"It would really suck if Marie couldn't grab with her vacuum! Did you notice Marie sound a little different from her Bloody Marie boss form? Kira Buckland actually voices both characters, but the 'Skullgirl echo' is more subtle with playable Marie."
okay so maybe depending on how many parts of the skull heart a skullgirl has they might or not have a bigger echo in their voice.. the lore grows

Hilgard can talk! Who is the voice actor?
I wonder if that means something from the story point of view. Will Hilgard say something in the story mode? Would he have an important role?

Alright, this is really cute.
As a fan of The Skeleton, I am delighted.

Reactions: Chrono_Tata
All these tools look great because I feel more comfortable taking Marie Solo. But I hope the corpse absorption blockbuster is still on the menu. Don't know if I've mentioned that enough it was a huge selling point to me during the IGG campaign for both Marie and Scythana. That Umbrella got that blockbuster was a pleasant surprise but I hope they don't skip over Marie because of that.

If we keep getting new characters, I still would like to see the devs set up a micro economy for characters that can interact with downed characters.

the theme from Marie's stage

feels more like a theme you'd hear in an indie Metroidvania, but that's not a bad thing imo
its a more chill version of skull heart arrhythmia its still just a draft thought

Marie has been coming along super well! I won't be able to watch it live but I'm hype for the Marie demo with SonixFox and DeKillSage later today. Also curious if they have any more announcements (Season Pass 2? Can we dream?)

Also curious if they have any more announcements (Season Pass 2? Can we dream?)
Yeah, some of the fans are already speculating...
I'm trying not to hype it up so much.
The Stanley avatar in SGM means nothing, really.

New Skullgirls Championship Series announced after the exhibition, Jan-May 2024, and some minor teasing of the existence of upcoming news.

Actual Marie gameplay was pretty cool, looks like she'll be a fun character.

Marie's exhibition was really interesting. Nice to see her in action. Though, it's still kind of hard to comprehend because she's not fully coloured :PUN:
The news are fine, too.
When's Stanley?

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper

This one actually gets me thinking. I mean, we know Skullgirls can control corpses, but ghosts? And ghosts of skeletons no less. That's just confusing.

Most of the ghosts seem to be old-timey aristocrats and their families. My first thought is that they are ghosts of people who used to live in the orphanage, but then the orphanage/castle was owned by Hilgard who was a Gigan, and these ghosts are certainly humans (except for the dog and cat). Perhaps they are ghosts of Marie's deceased family?

I know her Undertale super is more flashy, but I love this big skull punch quite a bit more.

Evo Top 6 (this the correct spot for this right?):

This thread is more for lore and fluff rather than gameplay which should probably go in the Gameplay Discussion section, especially if the goal is to spark discussion or match analysis.

They state how unnatural Marie appears, thinking it has been established that Marie is shorter than Annie. Are the calls for adjustment justified?
They could probably make Marie's sprite a little smaller but idk at this point in the internal development how much her hit/hurt boxes have been adjusted and balanced on how big she is right now. There has been an instance where a character size was adjusted in the middle of the beta cycle (Big Band, although that was mainly due to technical rather than lore reasons).

This is at least the second time they've shared shenanigans resulting from "testing".
...What are they cooking?

The rotation thing isn't quite something we've seen in action yet, is it? It's stated that it was for the sake of a Marie Blockbuster, but we haven't seen one that manipulates a character quite like that (yet, save for skeleton-hand-grab Super).
As for character resizing: It may be worth noting that the way the throw affects Peacock (in "Exhibit B") seems to abide by Marie's current size, in terms of height and trajectory.

The rotation thing isn't quite something we've seen in action yet, is it? It's stated that it was for the sake of a Marie Blockbuster, but we haven't seen one that manipulates a character quite like that (yet, save for skeleton-hand-grab Super).
They did say "upcoming" Blockbuster so I guess it's one they have not shown yet. So far I think we've seen 3 of her supers, which is the minimum amount a character would have in 2E, but it's not unlikely she would get more.

Characters being spun around by throws isn't new and Robo's magnetic grab works similarly, although with Robo, the opponent seems to be spun around in 45 degree increments, while this new tech seems to be able to rotate the sprite much more freely.

As for character resizing: It may be worth noting that the way the throw affects Peacock (in "Exhibit B") seems to abide by Marie's current size, in terms of height and trajectory.
I think it's just the way throw works in the game. The thrower has a defined point that will bring in the throwee, and the throwee has a defined point that will attach to the thrower's point. Not new tech but yeah it's cool that these things work regardless of the characters' sizes.

Reactions: tristePinguino

This is SO funny, Marie literally just reduced her to atoms.

This might not find it's way to 2nd Encore, but having a second character capable of reviving could be a hoot. Also, the bone-halo appears briefly when using her ability!

This might not find it's way to 2nd Encore, but having a second character capable of reviving could be a hoot. Also, the bone-halo appears briefly when using her ability!
Nice to see that the promise of Marie having an ability to do something to the dead bodies is fulfilled at least in the Mobile.

I believe something similar would make its way into the main game, too.

I definitely think her charging animation is gonna used for something in 2E. Whether it's gonna be dead bodies-related or not I guess remains to be seen, but it seems likely.

Giving her multiple options on how to use corpses is very boss-like. If she could get an install as another option I'd be happy with all 3 making it to the base game.

A trailer for another variant of Marie for Skullgirls was released today.

A fun new detail is that her Spirit Bomb Blockbuster now sucks in bones before she drops it.

It has been announced that Marie will be released for Skullgirls Mobile this coming Tuesday, September 26th!
According to the latest State of the Game, Marie's release in Mobile means the team will be shifting focus to her implementation into 2nd Encore (including her Alpha).

On another note, here are some fun names (?) seen in the Mobile trailers, presumably for her Supers:
Carpel Pummel (giant downward punch Blockbuster)
RSI (but it's "Repetitive Skeleton Impacts" instead of repetitive strain injury) (big skeleton hand grab Blockbuster)

And on yet another note: does anyone else feel like some of Marie's banter (win-quotes and such) is especially... kind?
Between telling Big Band to take care of Peacock, to questioning Beowulf about her form, to proclaiming her victory means getting to watch wrestling, her dialogue is much less wrathful than I was expecting, lol.
I like it, personally.

Between telling Big Band to take care of Peacock, to questioning Beowulf about her form, to proclaiming her victory means getting to watch wrestling, her dialogue is much less wrathful than I was expecting, lol.
I do hope it will have some connection to her story mode.

Character description for Marie from the Skullgirls Mobile Forums 6.0 Update Notes:
Mario Character Description.png

I can't recall if this was already established, but it's directly stated here that she wished for "the power to protect those she loved".

Marie is releasing for Skullgirls Mobile today!
As of this writing, maintenance for version 6.0 (containing Marie's release) has yet to conclude.

Character description for Marie from the Skullgirls Mobile Forums 6.0 Update Notes:

I can't recall if this was already established, but it's directly stated here that she wished for "the power to protect those she loved".

Marie is releasing for Skullgirls Mobile today!
As of this writing, maintenance for version 6.0 (containing Marie's release) has yet to conclude.
i like how it says "unseen masters" meaning the trinity definitely had some control over the skullheart

The Webtoon kind of gives us a look at Marie's wish. Though, it might be an alternate continuity (especially considering some changes Marie's character had in the comic).

Skeleton for sgm icon. Perfect.
Finally, the best character gets the well-deserved love and respect.

The Webtoon kind of gives us a look at Marie's wish. Though, it might be an alternate continuity (especially considering some changes Marie's character had in the comic).
Yeah it's been stated in both her old bio (from the Limited Run booklet) and new that her wish was to save her friends (plural) and those (plural) she loves, respectively. However; in the Webtoon, the exact wording of her wish is to save one person specifically, heavily implied to be Peacock. Not sure if the discrepancy is intentional, or, as you say, the Webtoon is an alternate timeline where she made a slightly different wish. (Or the wish in the Webtoon was not properly lore-vetted)

An upcoming visual change to Valentine's "Vial Hazard" has been announced and shown! Said change will feature type-specific indicators to denote what type of drug/poison Valentine has loaded. We have:

Type A: Damage Over Time/Magenta - Skull (no crossbones???)
Type B: Increased Hitstun/Green - Biohazard symbol
Type C: Input Lag/Orange - Radiation symbol

Likely subject to change.
This clip also features palettes currently exclusive to Skullgirls Mobile...

There was also an Annie "Star Power" Roman Cancel-kinda mechanic that was teased not long ago, but I can't find it now.

from least to most likely 2023 announcements imo

full sequel
sunset the mobile version (this kills 2e as well)
2nd season pass
bonus single character in s1
true story mode
no more major 2e updates

I don't know a lot about the financials of the mobile version, but I'm not expecting miracles considering character development took twice as long as originally planned lol

I'd just like to say that I'm so in tune with the SG dev team that I too cannot estimate time correctly, and yet once again I am correct

hopefully they manage to make more than one guest star per year

With the way Guest Stars seem to work in SGM, 1 characters could have several moves that you roll from the gacha separately. And because assist-only moves don't have to be synced up with the rest of the character for balancing, I think they could even move back and forth between different characters and release moves. So I think it opens the possibility of a lot of characters getting into the gameplay in a not-too-long timeframe.

But yeah I can see why it's not currently planned to be implemented into 2E. The gameplay would need to be overhauled and it would be a balancing nightmare. Let's see if something could be done with it in the future though.

(Also Guest Stars is sort of a confusing term cause people think they would be guest characters from other franchises or something. I think the better term that is also cinema-themed is Cameo, but I guess I see why they didn't go with that :P)

Reactions: tristePinguino
I understand that there is currently no intention to bring Guest Stars to 2nd Encore,

but...

It would be a cool excuse to give Assist utility to player teams with less than three characters.
1: Playable character
2: Guest Star
3: Guest Star

1: Playable character
2: Playable character
3: Guest Star

...But yes, the logistics of something like this would be an ordeal (and this Assist idea could totally just be done with the currently available roster).

Regardless, I'm so excited to see more characters in motion! Who will make the cut? Waifu Wars: Guest Star Edition?!
I always assumed Minette would be apprehensive in a fight, but it looks like she's having fun. :D

Minette idle draft
Minette Idle Draft.png

Minette "leak" from the Art Streams
Minette Leak.png

Reactions: BallotBoxer and tso