• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Too much moderation?

That's another thing, I'd be willing to make something like the Big Band thread for other characters. Probably not like every character because the Big Band one is sort of hard to maintain as it is? Actually I still need to add in there what characters j.LK is an instant overhead against, and put the better corner combos in there and a few other things. But I could do one other character probably.

Big Band is like the only character forum where all the stuff you need to know about the character is actually in one place. Kudos, @mcpeanuts

Character forums stuff is a start, but I think there still needs to be many more general information threads in General Gameplay Discussion. Is there an equivalent to the David Steak Sirlion yomi master footsies video for airdash fighters?

That's another thing, I'd be willing to make something like the Big Band thread for other characters. Probably not like every character because the Big Band one is sort of hard to maintain as it is? Actually I still need to add in there what characters j.LK is an instant overhead against, and put the better corner combos in there and a few other things. But I could do one other character probably.
If no one is doing it already, please do it for any character you like.

And that's to anyone, not just McPeanuts. If you see a character forum that can be organized better, take charge and do it. Doesn't even need to be a character forum, if you or a few of you want to compile info for a "Intro to Skullgirls" or "Learn to Skullgirls" thread, please do.

Edit: Yes, McPeanut's Big Band Compendium is exactly what I was trying to push in all character sections. Zid's guide existed before I asked around but his is totally above and beyond and he's amazing for that.

Last edited:
i agree that a lot of the character threads are in dire need of some kind of organisation. ive been on this site since the beginning and was on the srk skullgirls threads since the beginning too and even i have had a hard time trying to find combos etc.

This is particularly true of the DLC characters as the first bunch of pages are all full of beta only combos that basically are changing every single week and have no resemblance to the final version of the character.

I could probably make a central thread for Fortune.

I never really understood why combos/resets/burst baits were seperate threads when they are all tied to the same concepts. You start a combo, you're either going to 1) reset 2) burst bait or 3) finish the combo. Building your resets into combos is really important.

Have there ever been any good Skullgirls general system primers on YouTube? I didn't really start playing this game until Encore, so if there are I probably missed them.

Reactions: mcpeanuts
Just for convenience sake, here are characters that I don't see a easy go to reference thread for:

Double
Fortune (there's a video but not sure how recent it is)
Painwheel (they did make a video recently so should be easy to transcribe to a thread)
Parasoul (Kenin and Sev made a great one in the past)
Peacock
Squigly

Examples to get an idea of what I'm looking for:
McPeanuts's Big Band Compendium http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/big-band-compendium-read-this-for-combos.2853/

Ashxu made great use of the Steam Guide to make a Valentine Guide http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=259748518

Zid's Cerebella Guide http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/cerebella-guide-learn-from-the-best-v4-1.227/

Reactions: FuLLBLeeD
i agree that a lot of the character threads are in dire need of some kind of organisation. ive been on this site since the beginning and was on the srk skullgirls threads since the beginning too and even i have had a hard time trying to find combos etc.

This is particularly true of the DLC characters as the first bunch of pages are all full of beta only combos that basically are changing every single week and have no resemblance to the final version of the character.
Eliza's Beta Threads are going to be locked once she is released. New threads will be made and I'll tell them to do the same thing and make a compendium for a one stop shop for Eliza info.

I could probably make a central thread for Fortune.

I never really understood why combos/resets/burst baits were seperate threads when they are all tied to the same concepts. You start a combo, you're either going to 1) reset 2) burst bait or 3) finish the combo. Building your resets into combos is really important.

Have there ever been any good Skullgirls general system primers on YouTube? I didn't really start playing this game until Encore, so if there are I probably missed them.
Age compiled a bunch of intermediate to advance techniques in this thread http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/intermediate-advanced-techniques-in-skullgirls.549/

It's stickied in the Gameplay Forum.

Eliza's Beta Threads are going to be locked once she is released. New threads will be made and I'll tell them to do the same thing and make a compendium for a one stop shop for Eliza info.

Age compiled a bunch of intermediate to advance techniques in this thread http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/intermediate-advanced-techniques-in-skullgirls.549/

It's stickied in the Gameplay Forum.

I would have never known that thread existed given its name. That has a lot of the stuff I'm talking about, but there really should be a thread titled something like "ULTIMATE NEW PLAYER GUIDE" or something that links to all the stickies or includes ALL the relevant information a new player would need to know.

if anyone needs the fukua Section done covering normals, neutral basics, to matchups and combos i'd be willing to help out!
I recommend PMing or alerting CrackedMarbles in the Fukua General Discussion thread since he has been keeping the Fukua Thread up to date. Eliza Patch does have a few Fukua changes so he's definitely giving that thread a few edits.

A good start would be to sticky Stuff's Hitbox threads in every Char Subforum

The only reason I don't get pissed off every time I try to look at one, is that the Char Subforums are pretty dead and I can find them within the first 5 threads anyway

Reactions: gllt and Mr. X
A good start would be to sticky Stuff's Hitbox threads in every Char Subforum

The only reason I don't get pissed off every time I try to look at one, is that the Char Subforums are pretty dead and I can find them within the first 5 threads anyway
Done.

@Mr. X i contacted crackedmarblez. so all i have to do really is just post all of my findings in pastebin and can he/she sticky it?
Yeah, he can just add to his thread. I know he's busy with school so he could even pass the torch to you.

if i can sticky the it to fukua thread that's all i would like to be done then my job will be finished. @Mr. X can you do that if neither of us can? i will PM you the pastepin material and along with videos to boot. the project might take some time but the written material SHOULDN't take longer than 2 weeks*no one say any jokes*

if you or a few of you want to compile info for a "Intro to Skullgirls" or "Learn to Skullgirls" thread, please do.
I actually already had planned out an "Introduction to Skullgirls" guide. I wanted to turn it into a video along with the Bella guide, and play it as the first vid in a series so I would hopefully be able to bring someone from "just picked up Skullgirls" to "knowing what they're doing" within the course of the videos (there were 5 or 6 planned). I still don't have recording equipment... but maybe I get one soon. My birthday is coming up, after all.

So someone is whining that they cant post jokes in a gameplay thread... And that whining is being listened to why?

How about mcpeanuts clogs his training diary thread with jokes and cat memes and all that other stuff? No one is going to stop him and his like minded fellows from doing that if thats how he truly wants things.

Or... "Novel idea here"....

Make a less serious thread(s) to have looser conversation in...

It isnt rocket science.

And if those arent good enough to appease him and others that only want to post one liners and troll joke posts in the gameplay threads... Maybe its because their motives ARE TO DERAIL THE THREAD?

Personally i think the moderation is doing a great job. But peanuts does have a point about looser conversation... But gameplay isnt the place for that... In general. So maybe a lounge of sorts... Maybe, idk.

Looser conversation
Looser conversation
Zidiane said:
Dime_x said:
Looser conversation
Looser conversation

Reactions: Cadenza
@mcpeanuts

What if I made a "Social Thread", where you can post jokes while discussing SG, under Local FG scenes? Would people actually use it or would it be ignored and people will just keep doing what they're doing?

We tried making a "Trolls Only" area and it wasn't used at all for the purpose it was made, so pardon my skeptisism when you ask for less moderation.

@mcpeanuts

What if I made a "Social Thread", where you can post jokes while discussing SG, under Local FG scenes? Would people actually use it or would it be ignored and people will just keep doing what they're doing?

We tried making a "Trolls Only" area and it wasn't used at all for the purpose it was made, so pardon my skeptisism when you ask for less moderation.
I would prefer it be under gameplay, but yeah we could try that.

if i can sticky the it to fukua thread that's all i would like to be done then my job will be finished. @Mr. X can you do that if neither of us can? i will PM you the pastepin material and along with videos to boot. the project might take some time but the written material SHOULDN't take longer than 2 weeks*no one say any jokes*
Yeah. You can do vids but they are harder to edit and keep up to date than text. Build it up over time with vids, set the ground work with text.
I actually already had planned out an "Introduction to Skullgirls" guide. I wanted to turn it into a video along with the Bella guide, and play it as the first vid in a series so I would hopefully be able to bring someone from "just picked up Skullgirls" to "knowing what they're doing" within the course of the videos (there were 5 or 6 planned). I still don't have recording equipment... but maybe I get one soon. My birthday is coming up, after all.
Do it in text then. Make the vids later. Vids should be complementary to the knowledge since they are harder to edit and keep up to date as well as navigate for specific pieces of information. Get the foundation down and then make it fancy and elaborate.

Reactions: Cadenza
Yeah. You can do vids but they are harder to edit and keep up to date than text. Build it up over time with vids, set the ground work with text.

/QUOTE]
Actually CrackedMarblez would like to be the video editor. i just plan to get the main text work done since that is more solid and tangible and easier to update over time

Reactions: Mr. X
Just for convenience sake, here are characters that I don't see a easy go to reference thread for:

Double
Fortune (there's a video but not sure how recent it is)
Painwheel (they did make a video recently so should be easy to transcribe to a thread)
Parasoul (Kenin and Sev made a great one in the past)
Peacock
Squigly

Examples to get an idea of what I'm looking for:
McPeanuts's Big Band Compendium http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/big-band-compendium-read-this-for-combos.2853/

Ashxu made great use of the Steam Guide to make a Valentine Guide http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=259748518

Zid's Cerebella Guide http://skullgirls.com/forums/index.php?threads/cerebella-guide-learn-from-the-best-v4-1.227/
I really REALLY believe that SH should sticky all it's beginner resources somewhere that can be seen from the front of the forums, maybe on the toolbar next to "Official Site" except it should be highlighted or something and be labeled "Beginner's Hub" or something that has links to all the known character and general guides.

Also just a personal wish but I hope people step up and make guides of characters that don't have one already. It doesn't need to be super in depth but a primer would be fine. There exists a google doc with basic Double information but it's a mess of info and not really complete.

If no one does one of Filia/Double then I will do it myself but don't hold your breath because I don't think I'm good enough with either to put down some solid information. So if I do make one it probably won't be this year.

I'm actually thinking of making a Valentine quick start infograph type thing if I get around to it/nail down what a complete beginner needs to know/learn how to photoshop

Last edited:
Do it in text then. Make the vids later. Vids should be complementary to the knowledge since they are harder to edit and keep up to date as well as navigate for specific pieces of information. Get the foundation down and then make it fancy and elaborate.
This is exactly what I'm doing. Most of it's already in text form as part of the guide. The only difference between the text and the vid would have just been that the video wouldn't have distracted the viewer by talking about Bella, so it could be used as a stand alone thing. I guess I would also add a bit, so it'd be more complete, since what's written is just a brief and basic run down. Also, there's a lot of people who don't want to read, and even more who don't go here (video would reach SRK and EHub and whatever), so videos are better for reaching more people. I can always add annotations to the vids too, if something is really outdated.

The more I talk the more I want to make a video series.

I really REALLY believe that SH should sticky all it's beginner resources somewhere that can be seen from the front of the forums, maybe on the toolbar next to "Official Site" except it should be highlighted or something and be labeled "Beginner's Hub" or something that has links to all the known character and general guides.
I know I've talked to you about why this wasn't possible before. Hopefully I'll find a way around those issues soon (I've got uni holidays starting at the end of next week, so probably then)

Re. The thing about having social threads in every subforum is that sometimes stuff comes up in another thread that's worth making fun of but would lose context if you were to drag the content somewhere else.

From the point of moderation, I feel that the thing with having a tag you can put on your thread only if you want it to be serious (no point having two tags because then people will forget to add one and we won't know what to do) is easiest and always means that there's an easy way of checking which threads we should be modding.

EDIT: One other thing I'm thinking of doing would be to create a separate page that new users are auto-linked to and basically explains why complaining a character/move/game is broken isn't really helpful, etc. Basically a primer on how to post in a fighting game forum. No idea how to word it or what topics should be covered, though.

Last edited:
Reactions: mcpeanuts and gllt
Just throwing out a general statement not aimed at anyone to say my 2cents so gonna keep this short.

I would love to cut down on the moderation actions if there was no need for it to begin with because that is less time of me playing the big bad enforcer and more time being a laid back regular poster which I personally enjoy more. As long as the pre-established rules/expectations of the forum were being followed then (in theory anyway) there shouldn't be an issue. SH forum isn't twitch chat/image boards/IRC/etc there is a certain courtesty that should be respected not because moderation wants to smugly flex at the other members, but it's for the benefit of the other members/guests in the site userbase that wants to enjoy a positive experience at a SG community centralized site that has been recognized by Lab 0.

I won't speak for everyone on the team, but I consider myself quite lax with moderation despite the amount of deletes I issued. We are all human and can sometimes get a bit carried away with ourselves with occasional silly posts to joke with one another. I understand this and usually that is perfectly fine in normal circumstance unless the post in question deserves moderation action for other specified reasons.

If however, it gets to the point where "the joke" dictates the flow of the conversation where it's become completely irrelevant to the thread OP topic like what happened in a few notable past threads (Even just happened here) then that is a different scenario that warrants a different response. For the overall benefit of maintaining integrity, moderation action would be needed to step in and half the time other members would alert us via Report/Pm/etc about the issue in the first place which means moderation is not following some privatized agenda to censor out people or whatever because we are power hungry.

If members desire less strict alternatives (They still follow expected guidelines) to the threads they frequent then SG General and Off Topics based threads are one answer. Both typically have threads that naturally allow more flexible conversations without getting derails. On the flip-side, Gameplay sub-forum (in design) is strictly for the serious gameplay jargon enriched discussion threads where members usually don't have to deal with stuff that is present in General/Off Topics.

Just like it was already mentioned, I believe we already tried something for gameplay that allows for less serious/more casual/trolling contained thread, but it didn't work out for various reasons. If another attempt is requested then I see no issue with this if the thread won't die off quickly and there is some real demand for it.

I'll end this here, but to the "Too much moderation?" question while it is certainly possible depending on perspective ( I don't agree, but understand that some may think otherwise) I know the "Too little moderation?" question is a much worse scenario to deal with as a community site. Of course "too much" isn't the right answer either, but we can hit an improved equilibrium easier by toning it down as opposed to toning it up so I'll leave it at that.

Reactions: Dime
I dont agree with the "to much moderation" claim for a couple of reasons:

The moderation in the thread that started this was moderation, from what i can tell were (mostly) against backhanded attacks against that threads maker. Aka "jokes" about how shitty the thread was.

I do not agree that moderating that kind of one liner/disrespectful posts is any kind of overmoderating. That is simply the mods doing their jobs correctly imho.

Jokes that are designed to further the conversation or enhance on topic points being made. Are the obvious exception.

We basically have a red herring here. Peanuts claiming jokes arent allowed, when its off topic jokes and trolling that arent allowed. And peanuts wants the offtopic and trolling to continue. This is why a "joke lounge" or whatever, didnt work. Trolls are only happy when what they do is annoying other people or they have the illusion of annoying other people.

All I'm saying is dont be bamboozled by this guy. Appeasements should be tried but i for one wont be surprised when they dont work, but I'm all for it if they do work.

@Cellsai

I would like to suggest that compiling very useful OP's stickey'd the to the top of every character sub form and gameplay for new players should be the goal of the new community contest or even just the community.

Something every one can help in, even players just starting out can ask the questions for people to cover.
In the end we'd end up with a hopefully organized list of combos, resets, burst baits, neutral, normals, for every character and a go over of all mechanics of Skullgirls and general fighting game terms and ideas on things like mix up and footsies.

Reactions: FuLLBLeeD
@Cellsai

I would like to suggest that compiling very useful OP's stickey'd the to the top of every character sub form and gameplay for new players should be the goal of the new community contest or even just the community.

Something every one can help in, even players just starting out can ask the questions for people to cover.
In the end we'd end up with a hopefully organized list of combos, resets, burst baits, neutral, normals, for every character and a go over of all mechanics of Skullgirls and general fighting game terms and ideas on things like mix up and footsies.
I don't know if this would work for a contest, but that's absolutely a great idea to try and get a community effort going for the content list at least.

fwiw the first competition we had near the start of the year was precisely to create threads like that. The response wasn't as large as we hoped.

On the [Serious] tag thing, again:
- Newbies won't know that this even exists
- A "Lololololo big band is fuckin BUSTED have you seen the size of his fuckin fist ohmahgad" thread will get 'trolled' no matter the tag
- This essentially gives a 'free pass' to trolling in every thread not tagged as Serious

A "Skullgirls lounge" thread somewhere (uuuh in the gameplay section doesn't make much sense? but w/e) for people who want to spend their forum time with "lmfao if u thot u on my B A E B O Y list", as well as 'lax' moderation (deleting spam if it detracts from a discussion, not if it's one guy posting a single witty oneliner) elsewhere seems good enough to me?

Reactions: MysteriousJ
I don't know if this would work for a contest, but that's absolutely a great idea to try and get a community effort going for the content list at least.
Even if it's not a contest I think it would be a good idea though yeah.
We need one person to lead the effort and at least outline and assign tasks that need to be done.
fwiw the first competition we had near the start of the year was precisely to create threads like that. The response wasn't as large as we hoped.
Well before it was like "Do anything helpful."
With clear guidance as to what needs to be done I think the response will be fine.

A "Skullgirls lounge" thread somewhere (uuuh in the gameplay section doesn't make much sense? but w/e) for people who want to spend their forum time with "lmfao if u thot u on my B A E B O Y list", as well as 'lax' moderation (deleting spam if it detracts from a discussion, not if it's one guy posting a single witty oneliner) elsewhere seems good enough to me?
A Skullgirls lounge thread already exists buried in the off topics due to inactivity. If there is demand for it I don't mind sticking it as a revival effort.

Yeah, nobody who plays the game opens the OT.
The idea was to have a thread for the dekillsage/blaise/bloop/bonk/beep people in somewhere Gameplay.

Trolling happens in every thread, regardless or not of it being tagged. Serious tag at least gives you the premonition that you want to be serious from the get-go, regardless of what your stance is, because at least people will try to approach the topic seriously

Yeah, nobody who plays the game opens the OT.
The idea was to have a thread for the dekillsage/blaise/bloop/bonk/beep people in somewhere Gameplay.

me wtf did I do like dead ass pressing and framing me for crimes I have never EVER committed skullheart illuminati please spare me ;__; ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ
ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ
ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ ᄽὁȍ ̪ őὀᄿ

I would prefer it be under gameplay, but yeah we could try that.
I say the Local FG Scenes because that is where socializing like that would normally take place.

If you look at dustloop, pretty much every part of the forum that's not about characters or gameplay, or a tournament is the most lax and allows for this kind of posting. ie. The Match Finder subforum where you have regional threads.

So it seems like it'd make the most sense for the social thread to be in a place where everyone's socializing.

On a side note: The Gameplay General forum has waaaaaaaay too many stickies.

Last edited:
A "serious" tag or a "goof off here" thread won't make the situation any better in the long run, I don't think.