• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Unburstable Combos

So I've been given some clarification by the people that are at SCR. You can still burst bait and hit the opponent out of the cool down of the burst animation, but then they are completely invulnerable on the way down and such.

Not as bad as I initially thought it would be, but I think I still prefer the idea of the burst getting larger with the more burstable hits.

Burst baits become a more important part of the game and instead of wanting people to think about when to burst, the reaction is to "fix it". How many setups exist where if the attacker whiffs something during your burst, they are still guaranteed something for the burst bait? Is this solved by bursting closer to or on the floor? Alpha Counter after burst not a decent option to keep the attacker guessing? I want to see an arms race.

If it is as problematic as it is being made out to be in this thread, go with Mike's throw techs and blocks allowed after whiffed burst or an MvC2 undizzy like reaction. Is allowing them full control of the character after X frames post burst whiff too strong?

I like the increase burst after more hits idea.

So, as far as peacock is concerned I noticed that her J.lk chainsaw has hitboxes on the saw itself. What would it change to give her j.lp hammer hitboxes as well? Most Peacocks I've seen burst bait with J.MP, J.HK, and J.FP. Where else does J.lp's disjointedness come into play? Of course this doesn't really stop people from finding similar things with other characters, so maybe working on specific solutions isn't the best idea.

J.lp is an air-to-air tool for Peacock though. It wouldn't really make sense to nerf that part of her game just because of this.

Reactions: Zidiane and Mao
I would propose that the first move that sets off the IPS causes untechable burst that can be punish with a full combo. However, if someone uses an extended burst bait that is giving free damage, you can burst, be invincible during the end of the burst animation, and have a techable fall.

If Parasoul uses c.mp after the end of her combo and you fall for that you should sure as hell get punished completely. You should not get punished because of some silly setup that gets free damage. (any examples of this by the way? I saw passing references to that Peacock vs. Val/Big Band corner infinite bait, but that could be fixed just by giving those characters larger horizontal bursts, yeah?)

I don't think this would be meta breaking because I'm not aware of many burst baits that are more than one move that aren't cheap and silly. The idea of burst baits was to punish mashing to begin with, not have an elaborate setup for extra damage. The biggest downside I can see is that This is still giving these infinite bait setups the ability to use that setup and get a mixup, not truly addressing them.

Of course, I don't disagree with the increase to burst radius after the initial trigger. This was just the first solution I thought of before reading the thread. I'm saying it here because who knows, maybe it's a good idea.

There is already a fix

- If a combo becomes burstable and you burst more than 90f after the first burstable hit, your burst will not be punishable (as if you bursted a projectile).

Im curious, With the peacock burst infinite setup and the current fix for it, is it possible to add an anti air grab assist to grab the victim when they burst even if they're techicaly safe?

Anti air grabs are hit grabs that can be blocked. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Anti air grabs are hit grabs that can be blocked. Correct me if I'm wrong.

As I understand it, Excellebella is a hit-grab that is unblockable during the ascent of a jump, but blockable on the descent of a jump.

I wanna say there are blocking limitations on up-back jumps as opposed to up/up-forward jumps though, so that may be a part of it?

Pretty sure it's just that excellabella is unlockable on jump start up. The Squigly grave hit grab is pretty weird about which direction you jump though yeah.

As I understand it, Excellebella is a hit-grab that is unblockable during the ascent of a jump, but blockable on the descent of a jump.

I wanna say there are blocking limitations on up-back jumps as opposed to up/up-forward jumps though, so that may be a part of it?

The move is just coded such that if your upward velocity is more than zero, it will hit you no matter if you are blocking or not. Same goes for Take the A-Train.

The move is just coded such that if your upward velocity is more than zero, it will hit you no matter if you are blocking or not. Same goes for Take the A-Train.
Yep, unblockable if your vertical speed is more than 1 pixel per frame. Probably catches double jumps too, now that I think about it.

So its safe to assume that AA assists wont work after you've used your 90f burst?

So its safe to assume that AA assists wont work after you've used your 90f burst?

You'd be able to block it.

Yep, unblockable if your vertical speed is more than 1 pixel per frame. Probably catches double jumps too, now that I think about it.
It does and this has been catching me forever on incoming with double jump characters.

Reactions: ClarenceMage