• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Unpopular gaming opinions

Visual novels are not games.
Every time I see this topic come up again, I cringe.
This thread will be the end of me, I swear.

Well it is the unpopular gaming opinion thread.

Well it is the unpopular gaming opinion thread.
It's not really unpopular. It's just controversial. And ignorant. And terrible for the gaming industry.
If it were unpopular it wouldn't be such a big deal to me. That incredibly regressive attitude is, from my perspective, more damaging than EA or shitty journalism will ever be.

I liked Mario 64 when I played it as a kid, but I didn't own an N64 so I never spent enough time with it for it to leave that much of an impact on my memory. The first time I really beat the game was the DS version when it first came out. A lot of the changes they made to the game in that version were definite improvements in my opinion, and as far as I'm concerned it did a lot to combat the aged aspects of the original's design.

Sonic Adventure 2, on the other hand, is a nearly irredeemable pile of shit, and when I was a kid I thought it was the best thing ever. I wanted a Dreamcast just for that game. It has some good points and it's still fun in some parts. Most of it is poorly designed though and it hasn't aged well at all. Sonic Adventure is still the better game. And I liked Sonic Heroes.

Oblivion and Skyrim are both complete gutter trash, It's just one of them (Oblivion) has charm, which is why i play it every now and then.

I got around to trying MvC2 and honesty i can see why people hail it is one of the best fighting games of all time, and play it to this day, but it's one of the worst thought out and just laziest games i have ever played, I'm sure most who play it can see this and just play it because of the meta.

I'm hoping Mike has/will post in this thread, there seems to be so much he holds back talking on the streams so he doesn't offend people, but i'd love to hear him chew out Capcom with that beautiful, witty elegance I've come to love....*sighs*

It's not really unpopular. It's just controversial. And ignorant. And terrible for the gaming industry.
If it were unpopular it wouldn't be such a big deal to me. That incredibly regressive attitude is, from my perspective, more damaging than EA or shitty journalism will ever be.
Don't get me wrong, most of my favorite games (999, VLR, Dangan Ronpa, etc) are visual novels.

I think it depends on what kind of visual novel you're talking about. Some are basically just electronic choose your own adventure books with some cg illustrations thrown on top. Not sure I agree, but I think it's a valid opinion considering how little (if any) actual gameplay some visual novels posess.

I got around to trying MvC2 and honesty i can see why people hail it is one of the best fighting games of all time, and play it to this day, but it's one of the worst thought out and just laziest games i have ever played, I'm sure most who play it can see this and just play it because of the meta.

Part of it is that underneath that laziness, is actually a lot of non-laziness, if that makes any sense.

A lot of the move set designs, are actually really fun and well designed IMO, because the games they were ported over from (X-Men Vs Street Fighter, Marvel Super Heroes, Marvel Vs Capcom 1) were really fun. So even though it's a shitty lazy balancing job, the fun factor of the original designs shines through and is only complimented by the crazy broken-ness.

Reactions: VinceX
Oblivion and Skyrim are both complete gutter trash

dudley-rose.gif

Here's how I think game reviews should be conducted:

The game should be analyzed on two parts. First, the game should be analyzed on a mechanical level: Is it polished? How much content is their? Is it well programmed or buggy? Do the games design choices make sense logically?

Second, it should be analyzed on a more subjective level: What is the play style of the game? Is it fast paced or methodical? Is it about reflexes or pattern memorization? etc. On this level, I believe it's the reviewers job to tell me what he thinks the game is about and tell me how he feels about that without necessarily passing any kind of "it's good/it's bad" objective judgement on it, but rather a subjective "I like it/I don't like it". This way, I can make up my own mind and decide if the subjective aspects of the game such as the play style are to my taste, while knowing if mechanical issues will or will not hinder my experience.

Two examples of this:

I hate Super Meatboy. But nothing but praise would come to my mouth if I were to review it. It's a well designed game, it's very polished, the design choices are logical and obviously had a lot of thought put into them considering the play style the game is going for...I just don't like that play style at all. But hey, lots of people do, so I can definitely recommend to them.

On the opposite side of the coin, Odin Sphere is one of my favorite games ever but it's a mechanical failure in my eyes. It's demonstrably repetitive due to the laziest of reasons, poorly balanced, and has a lot of unnecessary misc flaws that really drag it down from the masterpiece it could have been. And yet I still personally like it myself. I love the atmosphere and story, and once you get past some of the boring parts, some of the boss battles are pretty fun. I just wouldn't recommend to anyone who isn't into that sort of hack and slash and is willing to look over a shit ton of game design derp.

Also I think games should definitely be taken apart and have their various aspects analyzed individually. Some people care about atmosphere in their hack and slash and can look past poor combat design, others care about how strategic the gameplay is and couldn't care less about atmosphere. How they all work together is important, but it should be acknowledged that how the atmosphere adds to the combat doesn't help add anything strategic to the combat. A proper review should analyze each of these aspects alone and together so that people know what their getting into and can choose accordingly. A black and white the shitty/good music makes the game better/worse doesn't cut it considering the variety of things different people look for in games.

Anyway, that's my video game review manifesto.

Last edited:
Watching people just play a game is infinitely more helpful to deciding whether or not to buy a game than a review.

Also Kotaku is probably the worst gaming related thing in existence. Everything wrong with gaming "journalism" and "gaming culture" (which is a stupid term and debatably doesn't exist) is manifested on that site.

Also Kotaku is probably the worst gaming related thing in existence. Everything wrong with gaming "journalism" and "gaming culture" (which is a stupid term and debatably doesn't exist) is manifested on that site.

*meanwhile at Kotaku*

"NOW IF YOU EXCUSE ME I HAVE TO GO WRITE AN ARTICLE ABOUT HOW DRAGON'S CROWN IS SEXIST"

On a side note, I still hate them forever for erroneously declaring that Phantasy Star Online 2 was going to ip block English players, a statement that had no evidence or basis in reality and drove away a fair number of English players who believed them.

Reactions: Ktulu
considering how little (if any) actual gameplay some visual novels posess.
See, it (usually) comes from this, the idea that interactivity = gameyness. It's a really flawed mindset. Interactivity is part of what makes us distinct from other artforms but it's never the difference between a game and a not game, especially when you try to establish a strange minimum interaction level that you have to meet to become a game.
But for a list of games with little to no interactivity in them:
Plinko - All that matters is where you choose to put your ball.
Luck games like Roulette and Yahtzee: Your choices don't really affect the result.
Slot machines - the only choice you make is whether or not to play at all.
"The Game" - The point of the game is to try your hardest not to interact with it.
But all of them are universally recognized as "games" while stuff like gone home, the walking dead, animal crossing, and VN's are constantly put in this weird not-game territory.

Every time people bring up kotaku I remember that they had an article about the joys of hacking dayz servers and I die inside again.
I've been killed many times.

Kotaku being bad doesn't belong in this thread because a) it's not unpopular... at least I HOPE it's not and b) that's not an opinion, that's a statement of fact.

Kotaku being bad doesn't belong in this thread because a) it's not unpopular... at least I HOPE it's not and b) that's not an opinion, that's a statement of fact.

I'm sorry to say, but it is considered an unpopular opinion. It is a very much a fact, but many people hold Kotaku to be THE place for gaming.

See, it (usually) comes from this, the idea that interactivity = gameyness. It's a really flawed mindset. Interactivity is part of what makes us distinct from other artforms but it's never the difference between a game and a not game, especially when you try to establish a strange minimum interaction level that you have to meet to become a game.
But for a list of games with little to no interactivity in them:
Plinko - All that matters is where you choose to put your ball.
Luck games like Roulette and Yahtzee: Your choices don't really affect the result.
Slot machines - the only choice you make is whether or not to play at all.
"The Game" - The point of the game is to try your hardest not to interact with it.
But all of them are universally recognized as "games" while stuff like gone home, the walking dead, animal crossing, and VN's are constantly put in this weird not-game territory.

I'm not sure I'd recognize all of those examples as games myself. Particularly the last two. *Edit* I mean of the first list, so Slot Machines and "The Game".

That being said though, we're talking about what defines a video game, not merely a game (I think? Or maybe that's just me?). I do agree it's a questionable and fine line calling something a video game when it has more in common with a choose your own adventure book than any thing else. Now you could say "well it could work as a picture book, but it's played on an electronic device, therefore it's a game." But if I than read a book on my Nook, does that make said book a "game" and I'm "playing it" just because I'm pushing buttons and accessing it via an electronic device?

I'm not saying visual novels shouldn't be recognized as games, but it's a very blurry/grey area and I can see people having very differing opinions about it. That being said, even if one doesn't recognize them as games, that doesn't mean they're bad and that they shouldn't be on the market. If Visual Novels are a part of the gaming industry, and they do well, than they are definitely helping regardless of what people choose to call them.

Also The Game is one meme I'm glad I never cared about.

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, most of my favorite games (999, VLR, Dangan Ronpa, etc) are visual novels.
It's interesting you mention the Spike Chunsoft games. There all technically Adventure games due to their emphasis on exploration, puzzle solving, and inventory management. They just use visual novel aesthetics for their dialogue and cutscenes.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
Waaaaat? Well, I do like visual novels. I didn't mean to mention pretty much all Spike Chunsoft games.

Reactions: PaperBag_Sniper
That being said though, we're talking about what defines a video game, not merely a game (I think? Or maybe that's just me?)
Uhh...
A video game is a game? A video game is a game presented through computer software. That definition isn't very vague.
If you need help, here:
Digital plinko
Digital roulette and yahtzee
Digital slot machines
"The Game" in the context of an online forum

I do agree it's a questionable and fine line calling something a video game when it has more in common with a choose your own adventure book than any thing else. Now you could say "well it could work as a picture book, but it's played on an electronic device, therefore it's a game." But if I than read a book on my Nook, does that make said book a "game" and I'm "playing it" just because I'm pushing buttons and accessing it via an electronic device?
Who's to say that choose your own adventure stories aren't games? If one proudly dubbed itself a game, what would be the difference that makes it not a game?
As for the second part, I think it's useful to label exactly what you think games are, because I'm not understanding why you think it has to be presented digitally to be a game. Are board games not games simply because it's not digital? By that nature, is theatre not drama because it's not presented on a screen like a movie? Is hieroglyphics not a language because it's literal pictures rather than abstract symbols? It's all too restrictive for its own good; when I say "games" I include video games and board games and card games and sports and pinball machines and hopscotch even if I'm probably talking about video games when I say it. It's a broad term so let it be broad.

I'm not saying visual novels shouldn't be recognized as games, but it's a very blurry/grey area and I can see people having very differing opinions about it. That being said, even if one doesn't recognize them as games, that doesn't mean they're bad and that they shouldn't be on the market. If Visual Novels are a part of the gaming industry, and they do well, than they are definitely helping regardless of what people choose to call them.
Remember that every time you declare that this thing isn't a game, you're also saying that games can't do this. If you want to see games become everything they can be you need to stop saying that they can't do "this", no matter what "this" is. It's never going to help but it could always do damage; sometimes incredible amounts of it.

Also The Game is one meme I'm glad I never cared about.
I'm not going to lie, I'm not happy that something so useful for talking about games in the abstract is simultaneously an old, crappy internet meme. Believe it or not the game was kind of a major milestone as far as understanding games as an artform is concerned, it's just hidden under a bunch of terrible inside jokes.

As for the second part, I think it's useful to label exactly what you think games are, because I'm not understanding why you think it has to be presented digitally to be a game.

To be honest, I'm not sure. It's a very grey line, but I do think it has to have a level of interaction above other mediums.

Remember, I never actually said I don't think visual novels aren't games, I just respect the opinion.

Are board games not games simply because it's not digital? By that nature, is theatre not drama because it's not presented on a screen like a movie? Is hieroglyphics not a language because it's literal pictures rather than abstract symbols? It's all too restrictive for its own good; when I say "games" I include video games and board games and card games and sports and pinball machines and hopscotch even if I'm probably talking about video games when I say it. It's a broad term so let it be broad.

First off, I didn't say that board games weren't games, just that they aren't video games.

Anyway, the problem is, that like all grey areas, it's very, very, very subjective. Maybe you want to be broad, but the question is: How broad? Maybe other people have the line placed in the sand a little higher or a little lower. If you make your definition too board, you're going to start including every book ever written because you can read them on your Nook and press buttons to advance the page. Make it too narrow and you're going to exclude things that are more interactive than some things people call games. In the end, it really comes down to your personal definition, methinks. I just try to keep an open mind about it, and evaluate things on a case by case basis.

Remember that every time you declare that this thing isn't a game, you're also saying that games can't do this.

Kind of flawed logic, imo. That's like saying:

Books have character development
Books aren't games
Therefore games can't have character development

or

action movies have fighting
movies aren't games
Therefore games can't have fighting

Lots of games have elements common in other mediums, but just because those other mediums aren't games doesn't mean those elements can't be incorporated into games. Blazblue has visual novel sequences, but nobody is debating whether Blazblue is a game or not.

Last edited:
life is just a game and we're all the goombas

David Cage is straight booty cheeks and what Kojima did with Skullface was fantastic.

Reactions: CapnWTF
To be honest, I'm not sure. It's a very grey line, but I do think it has to have a level of interaction above other mediums.

Remember, I never actually said I don't think visual novels aren't games, I just respect the opinion.
I can't respect opinions that are damaging. I also can't respect the opinions of those who claim that something is not a game if they can't give me a good answer as to what a game is, and since they never can I can't respect their opinions. It's your choice whether to sit in the middle or not, but I certainly won't.

First off, I didn't say that board games weren't games, just that they aren't video games.
I didn't think you were. I was trying to illustrate that the difference between games and board games isn't significant to this discussion at all.

Anyway, the problem is, that like all grey areas, it's very, very, very subjective. Maybe you want to be broad, but the question is: How broad? Maybe other people have the line placed in the sand a little higher or a little lower. If you make your definition too board, you're going to start including every book ever written because you can read them on your Nook and press buttons to advance the page. Make it too narrow and you're going to exclude things that are more interactive than some things people call games. In the end, it really comes down to your personal definition, methinks. I just try to keep an open mind about it, and evaluate things on a case by case basis.
See, now we've come to the problem. It is subjective, it is all about what you think and what context the game is in. I'm not trying to say that I know the definition of "game" and that everyone should listen up because you're all being too restrictive, I'm saying no one does and it's useless to try because a perfect, universal definition doesn't exist.
The problem is that these people want to do exactly that; they want to draw the line right here and say that they understand what a game is and what it isn't; but in all reality, every time they draw that line they either get too restrictive and wind up excluding a lot of things that are definitely games or they get too broad and include a lot of things that definitely aren't games. There's no perfect definition but they're going to continue to act like they found one without saying what, exactly, it is.

Kind of flawed logic, imo. That's like saying:

Books have character development
Books aren't games
Therefore games can't have character development

or

action movies have fighting
movies aren't games
Therefore games can't have fighting

Lots of games have elements common in other mediums, but just because those other mediums aren't games doesn't mean those elements can't be incorporated into games. Blazblue has visual novel sequences, but nobody is debating whether Blazblue is a game or not.
No, not really. Not sure how you took that out of what I said.
When you say that "X" isn't a game, behind that is a reasoning. Something like "it's not interactive enough" or "it's doesn't have a win condition" or "it's not fun." And when you say that you're trying to say that games can't be minimalist with their interactions, that they can't have no real goal, that they can't be dramatic or depressing or scary. That once they hit these lines they somehow stop being games. It's ridiculous and ignorant for starters, but the scary part is when you think about what this implies for experimental games if this becomes the general, accepted consensus in the gaming community; that you can't stretch the borders of "game", that you're supposed to try to be creative but woah not that creative. That right there is the worst case scenario for gaming, and all the abusive dlc and free to play games in the world aren't going make me change my mind about that.
And that brings me full circle, to the reason I hate it when people bring up the topic of how Visual Novels or some experimental indie storytelling game isn't really a game. Because while I've made this argument a billion times, and I'm tired of it, I can't help but think that the moment you stop fighting this backwards view on games is the moment you start contributing to the problem. Probably not healthy, but hey, you've got to be passionate about something.

It's your choice whether to sit in the middle or not, but I certainly won't.

Well, part of it is that I'm not a visual novel players, so I don't feel comfortable making such statements about them. Realistically, it probably varies on a case by case basis. I'm sure there are visual novels out there that are completely linear digital picture books that don't have any more interaction than your average dvd menu does, on the other hand I certainly know there are visual novels with a wide variety of choices and whatnot.

Also I don't think you've given your definition of video game either. You said broad, but just how broad? Anything with any amount of interaction? In that case, does a Dvd menu count? How about pressing a button to advance the page of a book on Nook? Are web versions of Dr. Seus's books visual novels now? I'm not trying to mock or anything, but I'm curious when exactly you'd look at a .exe program and say "this ain't a game."

The problem is that these people want to do exactly that; they want to draw the line right here and say that they understand what a game is and what it isn't; but in all reality, every time they draw that line they either get too restrictive and wind up excluding a lot of things that are definitely games or they get too broad and include a lot of things that definitely aren't games. There's no perfect definition but they're going to continue to act like they found one without saying what, exactly, it is.

I don't know who "these people" are, I'm sure their out there, but I am merely saying I respect the opinions of any reasonable person who says "I don't consider visual novels games under my own personal definition."

No, not really. Not sure how you took that out of what I said.

Remember that every time you declare that this thing isn't a game, you're also saying that games can't do this.

You basically seem to be saying here that if a visual novel isn't a game, than games can't have visual novel elements?

When you say that "X" isn't a game, behind that is a reasoning. Something like "it's not interactive enough" or "it's doesn't have a win condition" or "it's not fun." And when you say that you're trying to say that games can't be minimalist with their interactions, that they can't have no real goal, that they can't be dramatic or depressing or scary.

Not reeaaaally. Again, this goes back to the "where do you draw the line?" issue. I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that something isn't a game if it has no or virtually no interaction, but that doesn't mean games can't have minimalist interaction. It's just a matter of personal judgement, is all.

Heck, even if you think some artsy minimalist game which has no gameplay beyond just choosing text options that barely effect anything isn't a game (and I'm not saying I do think that, just an example) that doesn't imply that such an experience is bad or that it shouldn't be made. It just says "Hey, this doesn't fit into my personal definition of game, so I'm not going to personally call it that." I don't think that's really going to damage those games or the industry. Hell, maybe some Visual Novel creators prefer to think of themselves as writers/story tellers and wouldn't want their works classified as "games" anyway. Or maybe some of them do. To each his own.

To go back to the original post, he didn't say "Visual novels shouldn't exist" or "Games shouldn't experiment with visual novel elements" he just said that he didn't think visual novels are games. That's not necessarily a slight on visual novels.

Last edited:
Counter-Strike has more in common with 4x games than fighting games when you actually think of it

Also I don't think you've given your definition of video game either. You said broad, but just how broad? Anything with any amount of interaction? In that case, does a Dvd menu count? How about pressing a button to advance the page of a book on Nook? Are web versions of Dr. Seus's books visual novels now? I'm not trying to mock or anything, but I'm curious when exactly you'd look at a .exe program and say "this ain't a game."
I said in the last post, I don't have one; a universally accurate definition of "game" doesn't really exist. It's a wild goose chase; you're always including a bunch of things that obviously aren't games and/or excluding a bunch of things that obviously are. The meaning of game is contextual so trying to pin it down doesn't really end well.
If you want to know my process of deciding whether or not something is a game, though, if it was meant to be a game, it's a game; this is obviously not perfect since it's not like publishing microsoft word as a game makes it a game, but unless someone specifically publishes a random program to screw with that definition of game I think I'll be okay. Basically it works for as long as no one's a smart ass about it.

I don't know who "these people" are, I'm sure their out there, but I am merely saying I respect the opinions of any reasonable person who says "I don't consider visual novels games under my own personal definition."
That's what I'm talking about. If you want to get into the problems with using interactivity as a measure of gaminess we can, but basically:
How do you measure interactivity?
How much interactivity is enough to be a game?
As I said before, how do you explain various traditional games that have little to no interactivity?
What about things that have plenty of interactivity but aren't games, like excel or a job? If you need an entertainment based example, what about IM programs?
If interactivity is absolutely necessary to play the game, are you no longer playing the game while you're, say, swapping your weapons in an in-game menu? While you're standing still, or if you're simply travelling from point a to point b without interruption?
What do we gain through excluding things that don't match your definition from being "games"?

Perhaps this is a better explanation, though... Interaction is at the heart of a game in the same way notes are at the heart of a song, but a song with very few notes is not no longer a song.

You basically seem to be saying here that if a visual novel isn't a game, than games can't have visual novel elements?
No no no, I'm saying that if a visual novel isn't a game for X reason, the assumed message is that X reasoning applies to all games.
So if visual novels aren't games because they aren't interactive enough, you've established that there is a required minimum interactivity that something needs to be a game.

Not reeaaaally. Again, this goes back to the "where do you draw the line?" issue. I think it's perfectly reasonable to say that something isn't a game if it has no or virtually no interaction, but that doesn't mean games can't have minimalist interaction. It's just a matter of personal judgement, is all.
Again, I don't really draw the line in the first place.

Heck, even if you think some artsy minimalist game which has no gameplay beyond just choosing text options that barely effect anything isn't a game (and I'm not saying I do think that, just an example) that doesn't imply that such an experience is bad or that it shouldn't be made. It just says "Hey, this doesn't fit into my personal definition of game, so I'm not going to personally call it that." I don't think that's really going to damage those games or the industry. Hell, maybe some Visual Novel creators prefer to think of themselves as writers/story tellers and wouldn't want their works classified as "games" anyway. Or maybe some of them do. To each his own.
That's optimistic and all, but for one it doesn't really quell the concern I have for what happens when most or a significant amount of people accept these definitions and push experimental or heavily narrative games out of our medium. Yet again, every time you say that something isn't a game you're specifying something that games can't do- if that grows too big, you're going to end up with a limited scope of what a game can be, which heavily damages it as an artform. And in the end it's probably going to end up looking like everything we've done a hundred times in the past few decades; and if you want that, there's nothing stopping you from getting plenty of it now, it's that I kind of want to see how far games can go, and every time someone puts up a wall to stop me and people like me it's a little unsettling.
But the sad part is that the vast majority of the people questioning whether various games are really games are really just saying that they don't want these games. When they say that proteus or vn's aren't games, they're not saying they it doesn't meet their abstract definition of a game, they're making a no true scotsman fallacy to belittle games that don't meet their standards of what a game should be- it should be an escapist fantasy, not a nature walk simulator; a fast-paced shooter, not a slice of life.
Note that when I say "vast majority" I mean that I've never actually spoken with someone who questioned whether a game was a game and not put them into this category, although I'm pretty sure they exist and it would be nice to meet them because they sound interesting.

Are you agreeing or disagreeing?
I was just making a joke. I've never played any of the Elder Scrolls games.

I said in the last post, I don't have one; a universally accurate definition of "game" doesn't really exist.

This is a bit too extreme for me. While I try to keep an open mind, I feel there should be some boundaries. I know there are many grey areas that are somewhat subjective, but at the same time I feel it's necessary to set at least some basic parameters for things that are definitely, definitely not games (while at the same time, respecting other peoples opinions). For example, I personally don't consider the microsoft word/power point examples in your post as games. Yes they are interactive, but they are meant purely for utility unlike every other form of art. They are examples of craft, not art. Now that's my own personal opinion, and you can disrespect it, but I'm not going to acknowledge those examples as games.

No no no, I'm saying that if a visual novel isn't a game for X reason, the assumed message is that X reasoning applies to all games.

But reason X might not apply to all visual novels, let alone games. Not to mention you haven't defined what X is in the particular VN. Maybe it's a VN with litter ally no choice whatsoever and the only thing you're doing is pressing a button to advance text. You do the same thing on a Nook or for a motion comic.

You keep saying "if you say something isn't a game than video games can't be that thing"

1: Video games can have elements of that thing or be close to that thing. If interactivity needs to be > 0 (which it does), than you could just add one point of interactivity to it and call it a day. Maybe not everyone will agree, but they shouldn't have to.

2: This does not discredit the "thing" in question. I'm sure there are plenty of visual novel addicts out there who consider them (some of them, vn's can be very different from eachother, from what I've seen. Hence case by case basis...) simply a form of manga and not a video game, but still greatly cherish them for what they are. You seem to be convinced that saying something isn't a video game is inherently an indictment, as if nobody should be allowed to make that thing or enjoy it, but this is an unfounded assumption. Some people might use "it's not a game it has no gameplay" as indictments of particular games they actively dislike, but that doesn't mean that everyone who have some sort boundary on what they define as a video game inhernetly dislikes things that don't meet those qualifications.

various questions etc.

I was going to address each question, but honestly I'd rather not get into an extensive WHAT IS ART debate on the internet. I will say though that the last one was kinda silly IMO.

That's optimistic and all, but for one it doesn't really quell the concern I have for what happens when most or a significant amount of people accept these definitions and push experimental or heavily narrative games out of our medium. Yet again, every time you say that something isn't a game you're specifying something that games can't do- if that grows too big, you're going to end up with a limited scope of what a game can be, which heavily damages it as an artform. And in the end it's probably going to end up looking like everything we've done a hundred times in the past few decades; and if you want that, there's nothing stopping you from getting plenty of it now, it's that I kind of want to see how far games can go, and every time someone puts up a wall to stop me and people like me it's a little unsettling.
But the sad part is that the vast majority of the people questioning whether various games are really games are really just saying that they don't want these games. When they say that proteus or vn's aren't games, they're not saying they it doesn't meet their abstract definition of a game, they're making a no true scotsman fallacy to belittle games that don't meet their standards of what a game should be- it should be an escapist fantasy, not a nature walk simulator; a fast-paced shooter, not a slice of life.
Note that when I say "vast majority" I mean that I've never actually spoken with someone who questioned whether a game was a game and not put them into this category, although I'm pretty sure they exist and it would be nice to meet them because they sound interesting.

Look, I understand your concern, but your starting to sound all "I MUST CRUSADE AGAINST THE BRO ARMY TO STOP THEM FROM RUINING GAMING", people not liking these genres or games aren't going to kill them. Most experimental shit is niche, in all mediums. Most of the experimental stuff in games are probably going to follow suit. But there will always be a demand, so whether people define them as games or not isn't going to stop them from being made.

Hell, these debates have been going on for centuries in every other medium. If you look back in art history, their are tons of professional classical painters arguing about what "real" painting is or what the boundary between art and random shit is. Their still arguing about it today, and they probably always will be arguing about it. This is not some unique problem killing the video game industry.

Last edited:
I think Skyrim was probably my worst game of the year when it came out. I tried really, really hard to get into it, as all my friends loved it really hard, but as a PC player, the interface sucked, the controls were REALLY awkward since the right mouse button controlled the left hand and the left mouse button controlled the right hand. The game was too easy on normal difficulties, but too difficult on higher difficulties. The environments also felt bland and mostly the same to me. I really loved Oblivion, by comparison, though.

I think games are a far better way to convey a story than movies, books, etc. I'm much more likely to get invested in a story if I feel like I'm making it happen, I.E Dark Souls 1, Half-Life, most TellTale story games.

I think it's bad that male characters often get forced into niches that reinforce the whole "big, tough guy" stereotype and when it's not that, it's often wit that's supposed to come off as humorous, but more-often portrays itself as obnoxious or boring quips. That's actually one of the reasons I really liked Heavy Rain, mostly because of Ethan Mars. He had a really believable personality and appearance. He reminded me of people I actually know, and you could feel in the story how much it meant to him to not lose his son.

Also I think the analog stick on a controller is way better than the d-pad in fighting games. Never tried an arcade stick though, because $$$.

Reactions: Squire Grooktook
investing a large sum of money so that you can have an easier time beating people at a video game is kind of a waste, in my mind

I fucking hate weird or long inputs on moves. Looking at you SNK.
The perfect fighter for me would use quarter circles and dp's with their respective reversed versions for at least 90% of attacks.
Half circles are also acceptable although I still don't like them that much. Full circles are eh, I usually avoid characters that use them a lot but they don't automatically make me hate them.
Double quarter circles are getting into bad territory. Double half circles are the beginning of the end. Pretzels make me vomit.
And then there's fucking snk which seems to thinks performing super motions should be similar to inputting a cheat code.

Curious, how do you feel about charge inputs? also what about down, down inputs, the easiest of inputs IMO.

Kinetica is the best racing game in existence.

Random battles are an incredibly outdated design and there is absolutely no excuse for games to have them.

Paper Mario TTYD and the M&L series blows all other RPG's out of the water in gameplay. Nintendo/IS did a better job making a spinoff RPG then square enix ever did making them for decades.

Pure platforming games are pointless and never interesting.

What do you mean by pure platforming?
Games like either SMB
games that are basically repetition and level memorization