• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Using Swiftshader for PC version?

Bagel The Bagel

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Steam
Bagel The Bagel
PSN
Bagel_The_Bagel
Filia Squigly
(Yay, first post despite having this account since September)
I'm testing out an old laptop, and I'm wondering if it's possible to get Skullgirls running on this thing.

Specs:
Intel Core 2 CPU T7200 @ 2.00 GHz
3 GB RAM
64-bit Windows 7 Ultimate
Mobile Intel 945 Express Chipset Family

I seem to meet the minimum requirements except for graphics.
Just so you know, I already have a PC that can run SG. I just want to see if I can get it to run on this.

When booting up the game normally, I get a message saying that the video card doesn't support Vertex/Pixel Shader 3.0, and it closes.
Earlier today, I came across this thing called Swiftshader, which apparently can emulate pixel shader 3.0, so I thought I'd give it a try.
I installed it by dropping Swiftshader's d3d9.dll into the game's directory, using the default settings.
Now when it boots, the window shows up, but that's as far as it goes; it will hang at a black screen and become unresponsive, and I have to force close it.

I'm not really sure what else I could do, and there probably isn't anything else I could do. But maybe there is? Would anyone be willing to help out?

It sounds like an issue with your computer. You should be running it with no issues. I thought I had the same problem but after a minute or two, I saw the character screen loading. Surprisingly, I can run Skullgirls on my crappy netbook. I'll post a screenshot along with my specs.
Specs:
1.6 GHz Atom N270
1 GB RAM
32-bit(I think) Windows XP Professional SP3
Intel GMA 950
SG on Swiftshader.jpg

Of course it runs laggy, since Swiftshader uses your RAM instead of your actual graphics card. I am looking into ways to boost the performance though. Three things I can think of that MIGHT help you out.

1: Re-install your version of DirectX or just upgrade to the latest one. Restart your computer and make sure you pasted the d3d9.dll file in the main folder of SG. Don't go into the CommonRedist or any other folders. Where you see Skullgirls.exe, put it there and run it(This is what I did, minus the DirectX step).

2. If that doesn't work, the use the CTRL+Alt+Delete shortcut to get to the Windows monitor. If you aren't tech savvy, just go straight to the applications tab and end any tasks you don't want running. If you are a bit tech savvy, you can look at the Processes tab and get more specific with what tasks you want to kill. This should free up some RAM and allow the game to run.

3. Upgrade your video card drivers. If the video card drivers are out of date, you can't run any games, even if you are using Swiftshader. You can do this by going to the manufacturer's website and locating the support section relating to this. Download the driver(s) and install them. Restart the computer and try to run the game again. If you had screenshot, I might be able to help you out a little bit more, but these are the only ideas I have. Hope this helps. :)
NOTE: In case you have fixed this, I will still leave this to other people who might have the same issue.