• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Valentine Launcher and Dead Cross/Savage Bypass

Deive_ex

Reaction score
Steam
deive_ex
Valentine Big Band Parasoul
So, I'm not really sure if this is a bug, but it's something that really annoys me and I think it shouldn't happen. This has been happening I think since the game launched(I saw this problem both in the xbox version and in the Steam version), and I'm surprised I haven't heard anyone complaining about this.

The problem is: almost every time I use Valentine's c.HP launcher to send my opponent flying and then continue my combo, she jumps but instead of using a normal attack in the air, she uses dead cross if I press punch or savage bypass if I press kick.

I play using a Xbox 360 controller and when I use the launcher I basically do this::D:, :HP: then :DF::F::UF: and then :P: or :K:. As you can see, I "kinda" do the :D::DF::F: necessary for dead cross/savage bypass(considering that I'm still pressing :D: even after pressing :HP:), and I think it's much easier/precise to do this instead of trying to press :UF: right after :HP:(I've already tried but I ended pressing :U: instead of :UF: and that makes me miss the next attack), but the problem is that I DID press :UF:, and I think I can use the fact that Valentine does jump as a proof for that. Since I pressed :UF: and THEN :P: or :K:, why the hell does Valentine uses Dead Cross/Savage Bypass!?

As I said, I think she wasn't supposed to do that, and this really, REALLY annoys me since almost 50% of the time I see myself using dead cross/savage bypass right after a launcher and entirely ruining my combo...

That's how fighting game buffers work, it's not a bug. You're 'tiger kneeing' the move. You have to skip those directions if you want it to not come out, sorry.

Yeah, like @gllt said, it's the way it works. By ending with the up-forward input, you're getting both the jump, and the last part of the fireball motion: thus both moves. Either immediately do your up/up-forward after your down+HP, or go neutral before hitting up/up-forward to make sure you don't get accidental qcf or tiger-knees. The former is what I do, but it just may be a tad bit easier on a ps4 pad (what I use) than on a 360 pad, with the different d-pad shape and all.

To be fair, Skullgirls makes this a bit harder than it should be by not requiring the down + forward input in TK'd specials. Most games, this wouldn't happen, because they require that you hit the down + forward for the TK'd special to come out.

EDIT: the solution I use is to input the jump very early after hitting the launcher, and hit the j.hp/hk late enough that the TK'd special input is gone from the buffer.

Playing fighting games on a 360 controller and actually using the pad is a special kind of torture.

If you can't use the analog stick on the controller (and even if you can) I recommend literally any controller other than a 360 controller. DS3, DS4, Stick, Hitbox, Keyboard, anything.

Reactions: agent13
You tend to have a *lot* of time until you have to do your first normal after a launcher, and the buffer isn't very long.
Just delay the button press a bit and the game will properly register it as 9P/9K.

Playing fighting games on a 360 controller and actually using the pad is a special kind of torture.

If you can't use the analog stick on the controller (and even if you can) I recommend literally any controller other than a 360 controller. DS3, DS4, Stick, Hitbox, Keyboard, anything.

Well,I DO use the analog stick, I think it's much easier to make any kind of command on it. Well, any kind but dashes. For the dashes I use the D-Pad, but everything else is the analog stick.
Well, I like my xbox controller, and I'm better with it than a PS2/PS3 controller, for example. But since that's not the point, let's just say I can't change controllers.

You tend to have a *lot* of time until you have to do your first normal after a launcher, and the buffer isn't very long.
Just delay the button press a bit and the game will properly register it as 9P/9K.

Hum... But what if I want to use HP right after the launcher? It takes a lot of time to hit, meaning that I need to press it early if I don't want my opponent to block.

===

Hum... This buffer thing kinda... sucks? I mean, not really, I understand why it works that way and it CAN be useful SOMETIMES, but for this specific attack, it sucks... But it would be nice it this was changed, at least for Valentine. I mean, who uses Dead Cross/Savage Bypass right after a launcher!?

Or how about not change it just because 1 guy can't adapt.

Valentine DOES have a use for doing a TK Bypass.

Or how about not change it just because 1 guy can't adapt.

Valentine DOES have a use for doing a TK Bypass.

Well, I'm sorry I hurted your feelings, but it's just MY opinion, I'm not saying "YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THIS!", I'm saying that I think it would be nice to change this. Also, among all the hundreds of people I've fought online, I've never seen anyone using Savage Bypass after a launcher, so I thought it would be more useful to change that.

And again, that's MY opinion and a SUGGESTION. As a consumer, I have this right, the same way they have the right to not change that.

or you could adjust your inputs. You can hit down-back to up-forward and/or delay your attack input. Both would avoid the accidental input.

I have launcher > call lnl assist > lk bypass as a crossunder reset against opponents that have shit air options (Parasoul). Just cuz you've fought "hundreds of people online" (who aren't all val players) doesn't mean there isn't one person that thought of a use for it.

Also tiger kneeing inputs allows for two possible things:
  • preforming "fireball" specials at the lowest possible point of a jump
  • superjump canceling specials into other specials (e.g. eliza's dp into horus's divekick)

Well, I'm sorry I hurted your feelings, but it's just MY opinion, I'm not saying "YOU HAVE TO CHANGE THIS!", I'm saying that I think it would be nice to change this. Also, among all the hundreds of people I've fought online, I've never seen anyone using Savage Bypass after a launcher, so I thought it would be more useful to change that.

And again, that's MY opinion and a SUGGESTION. As a consumer, I have this right, the same way they have the right to not change that.
And people have the "right" to think your opinion is wrong, welcome to the internet.

No it would not be nice to change it, it's a bad suggestion.

You could do the following, unless you're doing raw launcher:

:DB::LK: :DB::MK: :DF::HP: :UF::HP:

If you go to downforward during the course of your hitconfirm, your c.HP>j.HP combo only goes :DF::F::UF:, which does not count as a Quartercircle motion.

Also, among all the hundreds of people I've fought online, I've never seen anyone using Savage Bypass after a launcher, so I thought it would be more useful to change that.

If you're in the corner you can simply use val's bypass to get out of the corner after and leave them in a ground bounce and continue a combo from that point and get a vial.

You could do the following, unless you're doing raw launcher:

:DB::LK: :DB::MK: :DF::HP: :UF::HP:

If you go to downforward during the course of your hitconfirm, your c.HP>j.HP combo only goes :DF::F::UF:, which does not count as a Quartercircle motion.

Ok I'll try that.

If you're in the corner you can simply use val's bypass to get out of the corner after and leave them in a ground bounce and continue a combo from that point and get a vial.

I think you people are missing the point. I'm not saying to entirelly remove TK dead cross/savage bypass. Man, I use TK bypass that way! And I think it's really useful to scape corners or to get closer to your opponent, but these things you pratically do it from nothing, like, without hitting the opponent before that. The problem is using it AFTER A LAUNCHER.

Bypass and Dead Cross have one very real use after a launcher, though -- they can make a blocked launcher safe.

The trick I found to avoid this is holding front all the time when you don't play charge characters like BB or Parasoul, that'd require to hold back instead while comboing.