• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

Video Game Horror

My favorite horror games are Silent 1-4 (and Shattered Memories); Resident Evil 1-3 (plus Remake), Clock Tower (the stuff nightmares are made of), Alone in the Dark 1-3, Splatterhouse, Amnesia: The Dark Descent, Slender: The Arrival, Dino Crisis...

I think those are more like "Survival", but I also like some other games whose thematic its horror/gore. They won't scare you, but their horror elements are present. I'm talking about Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines (remember the Ocean House hotel?), Half-Life 2 (Ravenholm. Nightmare fuel), Thrill Kill, Blood, BloodRayne, Post Mortem (more like a creepy thriller), Doom 3, Manhunt (Pigsy zomg), Hotline Miami (so much creepy stuff), Limbo, The House of the Dead 1-2...

Honorable mention: Portal. The atmosphere, oh my god.

Reactions: SkullMan and Jutsei
You know, all things considered?
Not even related to my CoC kick, I really think some more Cthulhu Mythos video games should happen.
Those can definitely be scary.
I mean the Dark Corners of the Earth game made it work aside from the glitches

Reactions: Caleb
^ Dark Corners of the Earth; I really want to play that game. Is it good?

The first Alone in the Dark has some Lovecraft-inspired stuff. And features the Dagons, De Vermiis Mysteriis (or something like that), the book of Abdul...

I heard it's good, but has some glitches.

There's a lot of Lovecraft inspired games, but very few real ones.
And the best part about Lovecraft is the man openly encouraged people building off his works and making fanfics/expansions to it.
So video game makers wouldn't even need to be faithful, they could make up something.
Or an adaptation of Delta Green.

Reactions: Caleb
I'm too afraid to play The Binding of Isaac at night. His mom...

My favorite Horror franchise is Dead Space.
My first experience with Dead Space was a demo I played of the first game with my sister. I was in my early teens at the time and I heard that there was a new scary horror game set in space. I love outer space settings so I picked up the demo as soon as I heard that.
I was so freaked out just walking down the empty corridors that it took me 7 minutes to work up the courage to open the first door where the enemies were, I knew they were on the other side. Since then I've played almost every game. For Spookiness my favorite is Dead Space 1. For Shootbangs my favorite is Dead Space 3. Overall my favorite is Dead Space 2, everything came together very well in that game.

Classic Resident Evils, Clocktower, Silent Hills, Amnesia, and as of recently Outlast.
Im interested in the Evil Within too.

I have to play Outlast, it looks pretty good.

Reactions: Spellbound
no system shock?

this the first one not ss2. i felt that system shock had more of an horror aspect than ss2 ever did and thats because of the uneasy feeling of being alone with everything trying to kill you. and even if you have powerful weapons you still feel vulnerable to a major degree, like over 9000 in terms of numbers. i just felt tense and uncomfortable the whole game.

Last edited:
My favorite Horror franchise is Dead Space.
My first experience with Dead Space was a demo I played of the first game with my sister. I was in my early teens at the time and I heard that there was a new scary horror game set in space. I love outer space settings so I picked up the demo as soon as I heard that.
I was so freaked out just walking down the empty corridors that it took me 7 minutes to work up the courage to open the first door where the enemies were, I knew they were on the other side. Since then I've played almost every game. For Spookiness my favorite is Dead Space 1. For Shootbangs my favorite is Dead Space 3. Overall my favorite is Dead Space 2, everything came together very well in that game.

fun fact: dead space was going to be system shock 3 until they apparently wanted a new ip.

the same thing is said from bioshock...

it is part of a "-shock" metaseries it seems.

the same thing is said from bioshock...

it is part of a "-shock" metaseries it seems.
well bioshock was considered to be the spritual successor to System shock 2 but Irrational Games did make both of these games.

WELCOME TO THE VIDEO GAME HORROR THREAD.
I'm not a hardcore fan of Horror Games, but I always enjoy playing them, especially with friends and family.
So I've decided to start a thread for Horror Game discussion, since SkullHeart was lacking one.
First topic, what is your favorite Horror Game franchise and why?
Come on everybody, let's get Spooky!

Best PC horror game was... Dead Space 1 :)

That thing was spooky... even the protagonist spooked me (cuz he didnt speak >_> DS3)

what about condemned: Criminal Origins and its squeal. i thought they were scary. they gave me nightmares actually ;(

Reactions: Evilweevle
Dresnol you don't have to reply to the original post, that's a little redundant.

However I'm glad you share my sentiment about Dead Space.

wait, they made a new one? how come i never heard of it?

Silent Hill 1-3 and Resident Evil 1-3 are my favorites.

If you haven't played Silent Hill yet, do yourself a favor and play them somehow. The first 3 games are masterpieces that anyone even remotely interested in video games should take the time to play.

wait, they made a new one? how come i never heard of it?

The remake was a low key release that suffered through troubled development.

The remake was a low key release that suffered through troubled development.
That and it was supposedly mediocre, though I haven't played it so can't verify that. It seems like it wasn't the comeback fans has hoped for, at any rate.

Looked at some gameplay, kinda wish I didn't. God it looked like a god of war ripoff.( was that a pun?)

i love me a good horror game. the creepier and more helpless i feel the better. one of them in particular has given me everlasting gameplay moments ill never forget.

Forbidden siren 1+2 are 2 of the fucking shit stirringly freaky games ive ever played.

for those who havent heard of them (apparently in US the first was just released as siren and the 2nd one never got a release outside of the EU and japan), they are set in modern(ish) japan and you are playing in old deserted towns and places in the middle of the forest/mountains with a whole bunch of people who have been turned into kinda undead things called "shibito" roaming around. usually they have melee weapons such as pipes or sometimes sickles that they will happily bludgeon you with if they get a hold of you.

anyway, part of what makes this game really unique is the "sight jack" feature that will become your life line. Basically when you get within a certain range of the shibito you can use your analog stick to "tune in" to their line of vision. you can literally see through their eyes, and by looking at your surroundings you can usually figure out where they are. some of them may just be static or others may be wandering around, so you need to take your time and try and get a sense of how many creepies are around you and where they could be. Any time you are "sight jacking" you can hear them breathing/moaning/shuffling/making horrid noises.

its almost always extremely dark so you need to use your flashlight. except that they can see your flashlight too so you shouldnt have it on all the time, and then if you are seen they WILL FUCKING CHASE YOU RELENTLESSLY, climbing on top of rooftops where you think you are safe, and opening doors and all that good stuff. Guns and ammo are incredibly scarce so most times you will need to rely on using melee weapons to take them down, but any more than 1 of these things on you at a time and you are fucked.

perhaps the biggest shit scare moments ive ever had was from this game. stood in the middle of a forest, alone, relaxed as ive snuck past 2 or 3 shibito and theres nothing in sight, check in on my sightjack just in time to see...... myself from behind as i am looking through the eyes of the monster who is excitedly running up to me with a twisted heavy breathing, ready to rip me to pieces.

goddamn its all coming back to me

not the best video but you get the idea of the atmosphere

was fatal frame mentioned because i loved that game
and under no circumstante can you wrong with silent hill
Oh and alice: madness returns is considered a horror game

Last edited:
under no circumstante can you wrong with silent hill
Well I guess I just imagined Downcoming.

Well I guess I just imagined Downcoming.
Downcoming as a story is not bad and i actually got scared
the game play mechanics make the game make it completely fucking awful

Downcoming as a story is not bad and i actually got scared
the game play mechanics make the game make it completely fucking awful
You know that Downcoming is a portmanteau of Downpour and Homecoming right?

Reactions: Jutsei
You know that Downcoming is a portmanteau of Downpour and Homecoming right?

i thought you meant it as an insult or something
i personally liked homecoming but not as a silent hill game if that makes any sense

I was referring to both games and I meant it as a negative criticism of both.

Among the sleep sure looks interesting. But there's a game I will buy for sure : The Last Door.

You guys should really give it a try : http://thelastdoor.com/index.php/menu

The soundtrack is gorgeous and creepy, all the puzzles have a logical solution but with grim clues. And the graphics let your imagination run wild and it serve the story perfectly.

So 10 bucks for the collector Edition...I think it's really worth it

When did "stylish low-res graphics" become a euphemism for "we could only afford to do art on an Atari 2600"?

Yeah I was never much of a fan of low resolution horror, but I'm not going to completely rule out The last Door.
I'll give it a chance, but not with my money. Has anyone here played Among the Sleep who can tell me if the game is worth buying on Steam?

The monster I feared most in childhood has returned...

Me and my sister are desperate and I'm calling upon the members of this forum for help. We need a horror movie that's actually scary. We've watched so much crap that we're at the point where we've lost faith in the horror genre altogether. I know this has nothing to do with video games but I have nowhere else to turn.

This is my challenge to Skull Heart, use cinema to scare the fearless Zen.

Alien 1.

Also, speaking of Horror Games, what I'm about to link isn't really horror, but it gets extremely freaky/fucked up near the end, but I don't know where else I'd plug this, because it's super good
It's Called Wadanohara and the Great Blue Sea, it's this really cute/adorable game with an extremely good storyline, as well as charm and great characters.
It's worth a look, only takes about...ten hours to beat?
Plus, as I said, thinks get kinda scary near the end.
Pay-offs great.

I said actually scary, Alien is a great movie but it isn't something that's going to give me nightmares.
I also prefer for it to be a ghost movie, it doesn't have to be American.