• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

We're Baaack! - The Useful Squigly Assists thread!

Nuuance

Level 51 Pastrymancer
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Steam
Nuuance
Squigly Eliza
Well from time to time i get bored of the monotony and switch my anchor since most people dont get past squigly. At the moment I'm using filia & her updo and it REALLY does a great job, but the confirms are very tricky. They were easier before the last couple updates, but now things have changed a bit. Anyways, i tried some of these:

Cerebella:
- Excellbella (Did i get that right?) - this is probably one of the BEST assists for squigly. While you dont have the get-outta-jail-free DP effect while your opponents on the ground, if you can anticipate well you can get SOOOOO many free combos. Everyone love jump-ins and this punishing and squigly going ham after is super fun....almost makes me wanna learn cerebella lol.
- Cerecopter - One of the best lockdown attacks in the game.

Painwheel:
- L Buer Reaper (opinion) - A very simple attack throw but super effective at extending combos, and also giving you time to try some other mixup. Also you can One-Inch-punch someone and have it grab right before they go flying and there you go. Essentially this move serves as a free link. And the best situation i use this is for seria cancel chains where the opponent is just out the range of s.hk but not silverchord. I like saving silver chord for later so having this is really really cool. Can crossup, confused or whatever you like!
- Cruel Lily - a low lock-down attack and it hits 4 times so it's plenty of time to do what you want after.

Just a couple examples. Enjoy!

Last edited:
@Nuuance
you should upload some more sets of your squiggly in action... im still not used to seeing any good squiglys and seeing some higher level play with her would be nice.

L buer is an attack throw. meaning that it is blockable and comboable. command throws aren't blockable and generally cant be combod into (though sometimes they can in sg but only from certain moves)

so... yeah.

Parasoul: Napalm Pillar

Apart from being a DP assist, you get a free stance charge/recharge setup anywhere with HK -> Pillar on most of the cast. Anything at Filia-weight or lower can be caught by a s.HP pickup (not all that easy because s.HP has approximately zero active frames) leading to ~9k meterless damage. Heavyweights have to be caught by a faster move. Double can be caught with an OTG cr.LP[2]. Cerebella has a silly clown hitbox that makes the second hit of s.HP almost always whiff (mok zed plz)

The only problem is that she has a hard time confirming off max-range, random pillars if she isn't already moving towards the enemy. All the decent, practical confirms cost meter and/or stance charges and scale the combo a lot, but with Pillar in your back, one reset might just be all you need.

Squigly needs DP assists because she can't really do reversals herself. I find HK Fiber Upper to be an excellent choice for her. That or Updo.

combination of parasoul light tear shot and double lk butt.

Btw I just found something REALLY COOL. I'm sure it's already been thought of...but most likely it's been dismissed. Anyways....So painwheel & squigly have a lot of cool stuff they can do & DHC install combos w/battle opera is one, but that's not mainly what I wanted to talk about.

So squigly's ground throw is pretty good and can be easily combo'd if you have any charge or are in the corner. Her air throw is ok and you have to be fairly close to the ground or in mid-air for the follow up M divekick to pick it up for a combo, but have you ever thought of using an assist throw instead??

Ok ok bear with me here. The main reason for using an assist throw:
1. because we get to KEEP our stance charges (silver chord, center stage)
2. Allows our assist to throw while we jump out of harms way in case super comes
3. Depending on who you use, you can combo w/out OTG (off the ground) & save it for later like one-inch-punch in the corner or qcf+lk

But that's not even the half...the REALLY cool part is if you use install w/painwheel and tag out, you know the remaining install time will be saved right? WELLLLLLL why don't we use that! One of her most notable changes while installed is her throw. It gets 2.2k!!! That's crazy!!!! Even after scaling the damage makes up for it & you can pick it up immediately or on the green bounce. Whichever. So I've been messing around with painwheel to potentially replace filia in my duo.

I might post a video on it too.

Why would you ever
Ever
Ever
Ever
Suggest LK.Buer as an assist
I just told you in the description...i never said it was the best, BUT it's a great great link that doesn't bother with scaling. Instead of silver chord after seria cancel chains, using this adds 1.2k, SAVES your silver chord charge & allows you to launch that way. You use this IN a combo...not so much defensively

Last edited:
Just

No
Well instead of the lone negatively, at least make a solution or suggestion instead of getting on me for thinking out the box

wasting an assist slot on something that is unusable in neutral game isnt worth it imo. especially for a charcater that cant get in easily like our gurl

Reactions: mcpeanuts
wasting an assist slot on something that is unusable in neutral game isnt worth it imo. especially for a charcater that cant get in easily like our gurl
Ok, fair enough, it isn't really a good neutral game assist. So do you have any suggestions? Stuff that isn't cookie cutter, but useful? And give reasons too.

L Buer has no use on offense, no use on defense, no use in neutral and little use in combos.
You use this to 'help' a character that has problems with her defense and issues in the neutral game, with combos being her strongpoint.

I don't get at you for "thinking outside the box", I get at you for "not thinking".

Desperate tries at being a unique snowflake end up being shit in 99% of cases

What's the problem with 'being cookie cutter', anyways?
If you want to try out currently underutilized PW assists, go for s.MK / M.Nail / H.Nail
These have a purpose outside combo videos. Woo~.

Last edited:
just use hornet bomber, tear shot, napalm pillar, updo, cerebella's spinny thing or forward punching thing, fiberupper, etc

the best assists are the ones everyone uses

Reactions: mcpeanuts
I'm personally stuck wonder what my 2nd char should be: I like Filia, Cerebella, and Painwheel, but I'm one of those that go against the grain if something is too popular, so am honestly considering dropping Filia out of the ballet.

Oh these endless decisions...

L Buer has no use on offense, no use on defense, no use in neutral and little use in combos.
You use this to 'help' a character that has problems with her defense and issues in the neutral game, with combos being her strongpoint.

I don't get at you "for thinking outside the box", I get at you for "not thinking".

Desperate tries at being a unique snowflake end up being shit in 99% of cases

What's the problem with 'being cookie cutter', anyways?
If you want to try out currently underutilized PW assists, go for s.MK / M.Nail / H.Nail
These have a purpose outside combo videos. Woo~.

.....I'll say this one time. Don't do that. Don't be an ass hole. We're here trying to have a good time and you come here to muck it all up. I didn't insult you or jailhouse. I didn't call your ideas shit just because I thought differently. If you have different opinions or play styles...fine. But last time I checked I win majority of my battles, so don't talk to me about "shit" like you're some sort of expert. Don't come at me like that. If I didn't "think" I wouldn't be playing this game.

If you wanna further the discussion then do so & suggest s.mk or other moves and leave it at that, but if you have to bitch out and put down fellow players who are trying to contribute something, you should gtfo.

Reactions: blufang and Dime
Keep it civil, guys.

TCmSK5U.gif

@Nuuance
you should upload some more sets of your squiggly in action... im still not used to seeing any good squiglys and seeing some higher level play with her would be nice.

L buer is an attack throw. meaning that it is blockable and comboable. command throws aren't blockable and generally cant be combod into (though sometimes they can in sg but only from certain moves)

so... yeah.

Yeah definitely, I'll probably put together a compilation of the actual interesting battles from my stream later on, and yeah buer isn't the best assist, but it's cool, I'm still trying to figure some other stuff since painwheel doesn't have many great assists :/ I just liked buer because it spared me silver chord and keep a combo above 7k even if I didn't have any charges. Still learning painwheel so we'll see :p
Keep it civil, guys.
Sure thing. Just don't like being needlessly insulted. But it's cool, I'm done.

.....I'll say this one time. Don't do that. Don't be an ass hole. We're here trying to have a good time and you come here to muck it all up. I didn't insult you or jailhouse. I didn't call your ideas shit just because I thought differently. If you have different opinions or play styles...fine. But last time I checked I win majority of my battles, so don't talk to me about "shit" like you're some sort of expert. Don't come at me like that. If I didn't "think" I wouldn't be playing this game.

If you wanna further the discussion then do so & suggest s.mk or other moves and leave it at that, but if you have to bitch out and put down fellow players who are trying to contribute something, you should gtfo.
I don't agree with lk buer as an assist... But the proof is in the pudding. You win most of your matches so... Maybe we. Are the ones who aren't correct.... Personally I always go for results to base things around. Most pw use cr.mp or stinger or st.mk so those are all results based good.
But if you are winning while using lk buer, then THAT is results based good. And maybe just maybe, you've found a character to character synergy or a new viable assist for painwheel.

Perfect example being rowtron with his sentinel rocket punch assist on mvc2 and straight killing top players with it even though it was considered a terrible assist at the time, and even still, a dubious assist.

Bottom line, if it works for you, then use it. I like cr.mp assist with squigly to synergize with divekick pressure. Another synergy to maybe look out for is painwheels mp stinger to cover ground while squiglys j.hp covers air... Basically a spacial neutral game assist strat.

btw i started using c.mk from Filia and it's not the absolute best lockdown as it doesn't last as long as maybe c.mp from Painwheel, but it does last for a bit, the hurtbox of filia is pretty small and it happens fast too. I love it for mixups and using squigs' overhead w/it works wonders. Amazing.

and for neutral game i'd give it a B/B+ in rating.

Hey guys if I'm teaming up Squigly (2nd) with Parasoul (point) and Fortune (anchor) what r recommended assists? I use egret charge, center stage, and HP fiber upper. It is all 2 make it easier when I run into peacock, however maybe it is better to have a lockdown assist so I can open people up?

for parasoul drag'n bite is really dope, allows parasoul to start her grounded hi/low game.

Reactions: blufang
Center/Fiber is what I testran for a while as well and imo it overall works best on that team. H.Egret is rather useless though, go for Pillar or L/M Napalm Shot on Parasoul.
That said, you can try out both DnB and Chord as Squigly assist choices and see whether you prefer either. They're really good as well.

Reactions: blufang
Center/Fiber is what I testran for a while as well and imo it overall works best on that team. H.Egret is rather useless though, go for Pillar or L/M Napalm Shot on Parasoul.
That said, you can try out both DnB and Chord as Squigly assist choices and see whether you prefer either. They're really good as well.
That actually sounds like a really good idea. I sometimes use s.hk for filia and center stage right when she touches down & I get a free combo from anywhere on screen, but lately since I've been messing with Val I use c.mk since it's a low and has 2 hits...both of which usually last long enough for you to confirm from even if you're in the air.

btw i started using c.mk from Filia and it's not the absolute best lockdown as it doesn't last as long as maybe c.mp from Painwheel, but it does last for a bit, the hurtbox of filia is pretty small and it happens fast too. I love it for mixups and using squigs' overhead w/it works wonders. Amazing.

and for neutral game i'd give it a B/B+ in rating.
Actually another reason for c.mk assist is you got that vacuum effect which can pull them out of the corner for disgusting mixups. Probably the best assist to take advantage of vacuum imo (a lot better than item drop thats for sure)
That actually sounds like a really good idea. I sometimes use s.hk for filia and center stage right when she touches down & I get a free combo from anywhere on screen, but lately since I've been messing with Val I use c.mk since it's a low and has 2 hits...both of which usually last long enough for you to confirm from even if you're in the air.
However s.hk is bad as an assist. It's just a poke/combo extender at best (also you'd be stupid to not take advantage of her better options) For that strat your probably better off with hairball or something

Actually another reason for c.mk assist is you got that vacuum effect which can pull them out of the corner for disgusting mixups. Probably the best assist to take advantage of vacuum imo (a lot better than item drop thats for sure)

However s.hk is bad as an assist. It's just a poke/combo extender at best (also you'd be stupid to not take advantage of her better options) For that strat your probably better off with hairball or something

*sigh* I wasn't saying I'd use s.hk over anything. I meant I've used it before. It's too conditional for a regular assist but it's something to switch the monotony of all the updo's around. But no lol I'm not "stupid to not take advantage of her better options." I'm just bringing up things. That's all :p and c.mk filia is vacuum for sure on clean hit but when it glances or opponent jumps on it they bounce around and if you're unlucky they recover. But I like it and consistently use it against pretty good opponents so I think if you don't mind blocking high attacks just a tad more for some good mixup (s-forward.hp > assist c.mk = yummm). Good observations though man, thanks for the input.