• As part of the relaunch of Skullheart, ALL previous threads have been archived. You can find them at the bottom of the forum in the Archives (2021) section. The archives are locked, so please use the new forum sections to create new discussion threads.

What's your favorite character select theme?

Bit_Strife

I Skull'd a Girl once
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Steam
Bit_Strife
PSN
Bit_Strife
Valentine Squigly Cerebella
I was thinking about this after listening to a few myself and I started to wonder about which one I like the best. I really like Skullgirls character select, of course. But there are a bunch of others that really great. I had no idea BlazBlue had such good character select themes. So I was wondering what some of you guys and gals thought. What are your favorite character select themes?

One of mine is P4A's character select music, that's one i can name off the top of my head, but I got a bunch more with time I can name em.

Gotta love that Smash 64 character select.

Also a HUUUUUUUUUGE fan of the SG one.

Reactions: Φ and TechPowah
P4A for me aswell, Guilty Gear's have dang fine ones too.

Oh man, I've got a bunch:
  • Tekken 2
  • Street Fighter Alpha 2/Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Street Fighter IV (Vanilla)
  • Waku Waku 7
  • The King of Fighters '97
  • Marvel vs. Capcom (1)
  • Darkstalkers (1)
  • Killer Instinct
  • Street Fighter EX plus Alpha
  • Skullgirls (natch)
  • Super Smash Bros (N64)
I tend to prefer more upbeat songs.

Reactions: KaboomKid
*edit* Damn, didn't see someone already posted Acters Anteroom.

From a non fighting game

Last edited:
This is more sentiment than an objective "It's great!", but I find the need to mention Mortal Kombat 3.

This, and BlazBlue's "Blue Beating" are the best imo.

Yeah, I have to go with "Blue Beating" as well.

Besides that, I would say "History Unfolds" from Soul Calibur II and "The Usual, C'mon" from KoF Maximum Impact would be my favorites.

Reactions: KaboomKid
Yeah, I think Skullgirls definitely has one of the coolest character select themes out there. It's great to see some Smash 64 shoutouts here too, and thankfully KI3 stuck with the tried and true in that department.

Turning back the clock some more, the select theme from Endless Duel is an old favorite of mine. Simple, but solid:

I actually really like the character select themes for Third Strike and Tekken Tag 2 as well, but I bet you guys have probably heard those to death at this point.

And y'know, maybe it's best to keep this thread focused on FG's for now. While I was typing this, I realized I almost had my post stuffed to the brim with Megaman themes!

Reactions: Pfantzypantz
Skullgirls (PSN, Xbox Live, & Steam)
Super Smash Bros (N64 & Wii VC)
Godzilla Destroy All Monsters (GCN & Xbox)
Godzilla Unleashed (Wii & PS2)

Oh man I love lots of character selects but here's a couple

Non-Fighting game ones

Reactions: Error Macro
15 minutes why
this char. select theme is nostalgic for me so I love it lol

same with this one

Reactions: LaSombra
Really liking these themes. Some I haven't heard in a long time. I'll leave a mention for Tekken Revolution's. I thought it was pretty cool while I still played it.

Reactions: Dunk
  • Capcom vs SNK 1
  • Dead or Alive (1-5)
  • Dragonball Z Hyper Dimension
  • Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
  • Killer Instinct (1 and Xbox One)
  • King of Fighters (98UM/00/02UM)
  • Marvel vs Capcom
  • Mortal Kombat (2 and UMK3)
  • Power Instinct
  • Real Bout Fatal Fury 2
  • Skullgirls
  • Soul Calibur (II and V)
  • Street Fighter (II, Alpha 2, III 2i, III 3s, 3soe, IV, Super IV)
  • Super Smash Bros (Melee and Brawl)
  • Tekken (2, 3, TTT, 6BR, TTT2)

Select the one to fight!
Let's get it on!~

Being the hispster shitbag that I am (and also really terrible at picking favorites), I want to bring up some songs that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

Gotta kick this off by shoving my love of DFO into this thread, yeah? This is here based more on nostalgia than anything else, but I do like the song in and of itself.
Fun Fact: The song that this is based on is called "Wind Of You."
The 3D MK games didn't have a lot going for them, music included. But these songs are dark and undeniably catchy, and that's all I could really ask for in a game about gleeful dismemberment.
Underrated game, but still a favorite of mine. Audio is wonky because the video uploader is a shit that doesn't respect good music. Shame.
Any reason to plug one of my favorite series of games. Except 4. Fuck 4. 4 is death.
This song is an enigma to me, because I really like it, yet I can't fathom why. I know that I don't need to have a reason to like things, but an explanation would help, y'know? It's probably the guitar. It's usually the guitar.
SO GOOD! A true testament to the cart-based consoles of ye olden days. It's short, it's sweet, and it fills you up with childish joy in a way that only video games can! Yay! Video games!
Because sometimes, you just gotta.
The only good song in this vile stinkpit of a game, and boy is it something! Song loops incorrectly, but who fucks a give if that means I can hear that intro again?
Also, a bonus Big Bang Beat select theme. Because Big Bang Beat is really good (also, there was no video).

Reactions: VinceX
Being the hispster shitbag that I am (and also really terrible at picking favorites), I want to bring up some songs that I don't think have been mentioned yet.

Gotta kick this off by shoving my love of DFO into this thread, yeah? This is here based more on nostalgia than anything else, but I do like the song in and of itself.
Fun Fact: The song that this is based on is called "Wind Of You."

You. I like you.

It might be stretching it, but I feel that this should've been the music for the waiting rooms for the PvP section of DFO

Goddamn what the fuck to everyone linking more than one video we have hyperlinks.

And if it's not 3rd Strike, I sincerely want nothing to do with you.

SOOOO

I JUST SCROLLED UP AND NO ONE LINKED 3RD STRIKE?

ARE YOU FUCKING SERIOUS?

IS THIS REALLY THE COMMUNITY I AM A PART OF?

God this is why no one likes us.

/thread.

Sanoblaze and Kaboomkid get a sorta pass.

Last edited:
Reactions: Squire Grooktook
You. I like you.

It might be stretching it, but I feel that this should've been the music for the waiting rooms for the PvP section of DFO

I say that's pushing it. I'm more partial to the Battle Festa waiting theme. It's a nice interlude between fights, I think. Calms you down after a battle, but still keeps you looking forward to the next one.

-snip-
But everyone talks about Third Strike. All the time, even. No one ever shuts up about it!
Everyone already knows how good the music is already, why bring it up AGAIN?

Because the title of the thread?

Mario Party 3's character select music. Go look it up.

Tekken 5's character select theme. The first time I heard it, I just started bobbing my head to it. It's catchy and gets you all riled up to fight. I loved the track so much that I used it for the character select screen in Tag Tournament 2.